PDA

View Full Version : Loooong day!!!!

Doloris
November 19th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Little back story. I have a friend who I talk to every morning on the phone. She has a son who has been ill for quite some time. (another long story) Last night she called to tell me she would not be calling because she had to go to Cleveland Clinic and go through a 3 hour class about the care and feeding of a central venous catheter because her son has one and will be coming home with it. It is an IV port in his chest/shoulder area. His will be used for nutrition.
She and her DH were going. This morning at 7:15 she called and said her DH was not feeling well and would I be willing to go with her. It is about 60 miles from here, and her son had driven himself there and the car was still in the emergency parking lot. They wanted to bring the car home because this time son would not be driving himself home.
Of course I said yes, got dressed and we were gone by 7:40. Sat through the 3 hour class, and then had to find the car. Son was very helpful on that. He has been there for about a week. Cleveland got lots more snow than we did. Had to scrap about 6 to 8 inches of snow and ice off said car and then drive home. I drove the car we drove up and she drove snow covered car, which is really a van. Snow was still on hood and top , but I figured it would blow off in the 60 miles of highway speeds on the way home. NOPE. Still there when we got home at almost 5: 00 pm.
I now know more than I ever wanted to know about the care of a central venous catheter. I have also decided I do not like Cleveland, Cleveland Clinic (too big) or Cleveland traffic. But I am glad I was able to help my friend out when she needed me. :)
BUT it was sure a LOOONNGG day
Oh yea, I forgot to say the temp when we left this morning was 14 degrees. BRRRRRRRR

Dollyquilts
November 19th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Deloris,

Everyone needs at least one friend like you. Bless you. Prayers for your friend and her son.

Dolly

Amy R
November 19th, 2014, 07:44 PM
That's a good friend. It's awesome that you guys call each other every morning and are there for each other.

bubba
November 19th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Good on you!!! That is kind of how I got roped in to learning how to change an illeostomy bag!!! I'd rather learn what you did!

MayinJerset
November 19th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Bless you and Glad you all got back OK and hope all goes well for your friend taking care of her son's needs. I'm sure they both are very happy to have a good friend like you.

Carrie J
November 19th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Doloris, awwww, what a great friend you are, you go girl! Know you're tired, but hats off to you! Sounds like me and my BFF! :D

Sandy Navas
November 19th, 2014, 07:59 PM
What a great friend you are, Doloris. Rewards will come!

jjkaiser
November 19th, 2014, 08:05 PM
What a wonderful friend you are.

Sylvia H
November 19th, 2014, 08:13 PM
You are a true friend, and I am sure your friendship is really appreciated.

laura44
November 20th, 2014, 12:28 AM
You are a true friend, glad everyone got home safe and sound.

Kgrammiecaz
November 20th, 2014, 12:41 AM
So good you are friends and that she had you to lean on. Now as for the snow. Yuk. Lol. Glad you are both bavk safe.

share60
November 20th, 2014, 02:29 AM
You are a wonderful friend (you must hide your angel wings well.as no one has cottoned onto you being in disguise)Blessings to you and yoursxxx

Monique
November 20th, 2014, 05:48 AM
She is lucky to have a friend like you and I am happy that you all got home safely.

My husband's grandfather came from Cleveland.

irishrn
November 20th, 2014, 07:10 AM
You deserve a rest today for your long day with your friend! It was so special that you were there for her and was able to make her day easier! Put your feet up and relax!! :-)
Friendship bonds are often stronger than family bonds! We should all treasure them!

Over40momma
November 20th, 2014, 12:19 PM
And don't think we don't know you'd do it again in a heartbeat......you are both a blessing to each other. :icon_hug:

Preeti
November 20th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Bless your heart and hugs to you!!!