PDA

View Full Version : Why won't he bark?

meliswan
November 19th, 2014, 09:55 AM
I could have lost my furbaby last night. DH got home last night at 9:15 from being at the hunting lease for a few days. So we had the door to the garage open and the garage door open to unload truck. I knew the dog went outside to potty while we were unloading. We close everything up, go upstairs. We visit, unwind, and watch some tv. Then we commit about how old it was outside (22 when DH got home). About 10:15 we tell DS to go to bed and use his electric blanket. He goes down stairs and yells out, "there is a dog on the porch! ITS FRECKLES!!"

He was so cold. He cuddled with me in my chair, wrapped in a quilt while I rubbed on him. We got him all warmed up and he is ok, other than his bum knee, which the cold really aggravated.

My poor 11yr old 60lb baby could have froze last night, and the goofy dog won't bark to be let in the house.

He is in his bed warm and happy this morning!

Granny Judy
November 19th, 2014, 10:09 AM
My DD has 2 fur babies and I am often alone with them all day as the kids are still working full time. Now I can't sit at the door and watch for them to get back inside..and they need to go out 2 to 3 times a day..

So I patiently taught them to ring a bell to go out and bark to come in. I hung the bells on the door knob where they go out...ring it every time they go out. Soon they were ringing it to let me know they wanted out. And then when they come in.... well it took a lot longer to teach them to bark.

Treats!!! and commands with a hand movement... They would sit on the outside looking in and I held up the treat with the same hand movement.. at first it was a soft little woof. But then they got better. After about 3 weeks both dogs now know they don't come in without a big bark,, and no going out til the bell is rung.

It sure helps me to keep up with them. And everyone who takes care of them just think they are the smartest!! You should see what they do for a treat!! but that's another story.

Carrie J
November 19th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Awww, poor fellah! So happy for you Meli that it was discovered he was outside!!! Mine would've barked the house down!

Amy R
November 19th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Oh Freckles. You need to raise your voice when accidents happen!!

Sylvia H
November 19th, 2014, 10:24 AM
So I patiently taught them to ring a bell to go out and bark to come in. .......

It sure helps me to keep up with them. And everyone who takes care of them just think they are the smartest!! You should see what they do for a treat!! but that's another story.

Congratulations on training the dogs! So many people don't understand how much they can teach their dog(s) if they put a little time and effort into it. I, however, failed at teaching my dog the ringing bell trick. He, however, was successful at teaching me that when he sits right in front of me and stares, that means he has to go out!

Melissa - so happy for you and Freckles that he was found, brought inside, and warmed up in the best of ways.

MRoy
November 19th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I'm glad your dog is okay. Jake, our Australian shepherd, only barks when he's trying to herd cattle. Otherwise, not even a soft "woof" except sometimes when he's dreaming.

meliswan
November 19th, 2014, 11:27 AM
My goofy dog will only bark when he is playing with his partner in crime, and then it is this high pitched bark that he keeps is mouth wide open and it amplifies like a megaphone. It is not a manly bark at all! Emily on the other hand will defiantly let you know when she wants in! I guess, since they are usually together he was waiting for her to sound the alarm.

Freckles is constantly getting shut in various rooms and then patiently waits for us to rescue him. You would think he would learn, but he is just a goofy redneck boy.

You would also think that since he is ALWAYS stuck to my side that I would notice when he isn't there.

bakermom
November 19th, 2014, 11:32 AM
My dog wont bark to come in either. She has been forgotten a few times.She just sits and stares at the door. I tried the bell thing, she never would do it. DS's beagle figured it out instantly however!

shirleyknot
November 19th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Mine will come and poke me to go out, and "knock" on the door with a paw to come in. I have to listen for that "thump..........thump". My house is small enough I can hear it from all points.

buckeyequilter
November 19th, 2014, 11:44 AM
As our dogs got older they quit barking. We've always had a couple of dogs so the younger one would bark so we would know they wanted in. Right now we have 2 barkers, they bark to come in, to go out, bark at shadows, leaves and anything else they think is invading their territory. My daughter's husky doesn't bark....I don't know if I've ever heard that dog bark.

Sharyn J
November 19th, 2014, 11:49 AM
My little Max did the same thing a couple weeks ago. My DD went to get groceries from the car and he slipped out the back door. About an hour later, we realized that the dog was no where in the house. Poor little guy was sitting by the back door. He never barked!

We don't have many tricks. He sits and stares at me when he needs to go out. When he's hungry, he stares at the stove and gently growls!

rebeccas-sewing
November 19th, 2014, 12:55 PM
That's funny about Sharyn's dog sitting and growling by the stove. Animals are so funny. They have their peculiarities just like people. I have to say I'd take a non-barking pet over a barking one any day. The constant yapping that is so common with smaller dogs would drive me coo coo.

Bubby
November 19th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Poor Freckles. I'm so glad he didn't spend the night outdoors. I can see how this could easily happen. Dottie would bark her head off, but our Molly wouldn't bark for anything. I don't think I heard her bark once during the last 5 years of her life. I guess we knew her routine so well she didn't have to ask for anything.

bubba
November 19th, 2014, 02:53 PM
We can hardly keep the wiener dog inside when it is hot and sunny, but yesterday when I went to let them out, that cold air hit his nose and he stopped dead in his tracks!!! He figured out over the summer to bark to be let out, and her certainly knows to do the same to get in out of the cold!!

Here is how he spends his days lately. There is a heating vent under the edge of the island he found and that is where he stays!

Hulamoon
November 19th, 2014, 03:03 PM
I have a cat that won't meow. She makes the motions, but no sound comes out.

Dollyquilts
November 19th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I had quite the scare last night. I returned home after about an hour's absence to find my longhaired doxy missing from my back yard. Her partner in crime was still there. He's a mix and happy, happy, happy. They have escaped under my fence before but mostly in my neighbor to the right's yard. That was the first place I checked. I called and called up and down the street and asked walkers if anyone had seen her. My daughter took my DGD to work at 6:30 an came over and stopped everyone she saw up and down the street to keep an eye out for her.

We finally found a hole under the fence where she had dug under the back fence. Buddy showed us where it was. I called the neighbor and their son said he would look in the back yard for her. He couldn't find her and said their gate had been open all day. I was just panicking. He called out several minutes later and said she was hiding under their trampoline. He tried to pick her up but she was just screaming. I told him I would drive around because she was so frightened I was afraid she would nip him.

All's well that ends well, but I had a very restless night.

My daughter's doxy does the staring thing when he wants out, although now he will jump up and down in front of you if he wants to go. A good friend's goldendoodle does the bell thing. The funniest thing he does, when she uses the powder room downstairs by the front door, he goes to the front door and rings the bell for her. So glad our Freckles is okay and suffered no ill effects. My little Honey is fine this morning, but I may never recover from the scare.

Dolly

IBake
November 19th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Our giant Schnauzer/Irish Wolfhound mix got left out last week. he had been out about an hour b4 we realized he didn't come back in. He's the polite one, waits for you to open the slider, he will just sit on the steps and watch his world got by and wait. The Giant Schnauzer is the one who doesn't like the rain or cold. He thumps the slider and barks in disbelief that you would leave him out there!

I'm glad Freckles is ok. It gives you such a feeling of guilt!

JLHewitt
November 19th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I have two long hair dachshunds and they bark constantly! They bark at every little sound they hear. My older one, Mocha, she will cry at the door when she wants in or out and the longer she goes ignored the louder her cries will get. But my younger one, Paco, he never cries or barks to go outside and getting him to come back in is sometimes a pain especially if he spotted a squirrel.

lourixe
November 19th, 2014, 06:10 PM
I have two German Shep mixes. Both bark a lot to the leaves, squirrels, anything that intrudes the territory they feel responsible for. They would never think of barking to be let in, they scratch the door or wait, or just refugee in the lean-to barn. The younger one is trying to learn to open the door knob, and is close to getting the technique. I've had cats that knew how to open the door before, but I have never had any pet that would remember to close the door afterwards. Not even the hubs.

jjkaiser
November 19th, 2014, 06:36 PM
My dog only barks when people come over. He will sit silently at the door waiting to be let back in. My DH let him out last week when I was at work and forgot about letting him in for 6 hours, when he went to the back door, there he was sitting Rin Tin Tin style waiting to come in!! DH knows I would have killed him if anything happened to my dog on his watch. It was 11:30 pm when I got home so he was pretty happy not to have to drive around the neighborhood in the dark looking for a runaway Mooch.

Grandma Judy the Dog Whisperer would be so proud of you!!

meliswan
November 19th, 2014, 08:10 PM
I have a cat that won't meow. She makes the motions, but no sound comes out.

My moms cat does that. Every once and a while a tiny sad squeak escapes.

Midge
November 19th, 2014, 08:15 PM
My Tucker doesn't bark to go out either. He has me trained to take him out for a walk at certain times of the day. Which is a good thing since I live in an apartment. Tuck comes and sits in front of me and stares if he decides I'm being neglectful. But he figured out on his own that I will come and fill his water bowl if he rattles it against the frame it sits in. Like I said, he has me well trained.

alliek
November 19th, 2014, 09:23 PM
So happy he is now warm and comfy and loved. I can sympathize with his "knee", mine is miserable from the cold also except I can't stay in bed all day.

Hulamoon
November 19th, 2014, 09:30 PM
My moms cat does that. Every once and a while a tiny sad squeak escapes.

Mine has a way to get in the house, so I don't worry about her. If she was sitting at the door I wouldn't know it except for the puppy barking at her. It's sad and funny at the same time.

IBake
November 20th, 2014, 06:04 PM
We had a mini Schnauzer who used to go and pull her leash off of the hook and come and throw it over our feet when she felt that she needed to go for a walk. She had a thing about not pooping in her back yard. Pee was fine, but when she needed to poo, we had to leave the fenced back yard and talk a stroll.

Carlie Wolf
November 20th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Oh no, poor baby! Did he make sure he gave you a major guilt trip? Is he planning on getting a lot of sympathy mileage out of this LOL Carlie makes me pay for any mistakes I make....and she has a LONG memory.