PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Greetings

Blondie
November 18th, 2014, 07:57 AM

Hello Folksies,
You know what day it is but I shall look at this day of the week as toothy tuesday. I get to finally view The Walking Dead later this morning. I have made an orange slice loaf which goes so yummy with coffee to share with Ricky and the quite possible addition of my Sis to the mix of viewers today. Oh joy! This is even worthy of sweeping and mopping the floor! I mean, after the rain yesterday, I really do need to mop, not just damp mop here and there. Ever do that? and by the way, I was gifted last year with the bestest mop in the whole wide world. It is one of those mops that are advertised on tv with the spinner. I can literally sing and dance whilst I mop my floors. No more on my hands and knees. Inventor of this mop, my knees thank you. My husband thanks you. And most of all, my floor thanks you for looking better.

See how my brain works before totally caffeinated? Some mornings it is harder to appear more intelligent than a squirrel at their annual acorn festival. Another example? When hubs came in the bedroom this morning and nudged my backside, he said, "It's snowing in NY." to which I replied "they are the real pioneers; I am such an underachiever"

So, Monday. My Monday went fairly nicely, despite the rain. I sat and hand stitched as planned. Prepared some sort of goulash looking glop in the dutch oven for dinner. Hey, don't wrinkle your nose. It tasted better than it looked. At least that's what my men told me last evening. I did see DD for a few hours and once again we laughed and laughed and laughed. Mostly at our own expense. Those are always the bestest laughs. Then Mom dropped by. Why in the world did she decide yesterday would be a good day to be out and about, well, you can figure that one out. Anyway, she had a pair of khaki pants she thought would fit middle son Josh. Now Josh is not a rugged full back. His pants are like 30 waist. Yes, I am still putting weight on him, however, Mom shows up with a size 12 BOYS pair of pants. I looked at her and said, do you actually think these will fit him? She was clueless. She is already thinking on who to regift them with. don't get me started on her amazing re gifting abilities.

Okay, peoples, I am off to find that coffee pot. to those in NY who are receiving snow, at least you are not alone. I am certain that there is snow all across the upper and middle part of the country. I would liked to say I feel your pain but all I can think of to say without another cuppa is nannie nannie boo boo.

Have a wonderful day, everyone. there are definitely prayers heading your way, along with hugs, and the smile that fastens to my face with the very thought of more coffee.

MayinJerset
November 18th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Morning Blondie, I'm not saying much right now as my brain hasn't been caffeinated yet but coffee is abrewing as we speak.
Pitch black out there in the backyard and don't see anything white so I guess we just had rain overnight instead of snow. We live close to the coast so we usually don't get as much snow as other Jersey areas.

Dining room is put back together and that feels good, even have Thanksgiving table cloth on the table. Have to get to rest of laundry today as my stuff has piled up and my undies drawer is pretty empty. Kind of achy this morning, don't know if they are aches to rest or aches that need working out so I better get up for my desk chair and get moving to see which ones they are. Have a Good Tuesday everyone!

buckeyequilter
November 18th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Good morning....

I am not looking forward to going out this morning....below 0 wind chills and don't have a clue what the roads are like, we had wind last night. Well just got the report from DH........worse than yesterday BLACK ICE and drifted snow. I think I'm staying home for awhile LOL. I hate driving in that crap!

I think I'll go heat up my quilting room and work there until I decide to (if I decide to) go to work.

Have a great day!

Monique
November 18th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Good morning everyone. Worked yesterday. And I did get 2 Christmas gifts bought at lunch time. More snow came down, UGH!! Oh well, I guess winter is here after all.

Today is quilt day at Victoria's Quilts. Bonnie will pick me up and then we are going shopping afterwards. No, not for fabric.

Have a great day everyone.

CarolynK
November 18th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Good morning Blondie and all!

Blondie, the vision of you dancing and mopping your floor has me smiling already this morning! With three fur kids, I do a lot of that when I have time, especially this time of year.

The fur kids were loving the two inches of snow we got and still have from Sunday. I didn't go anywhere Sunday since it was snowing and I opted not to get out and about with those that wanted to brave the roads. Being from upper Michigan where we had snow from October through May, I got well versed in how to drive in it. Down here in Kansas, there are those not so able.

Mom I think is doing better, I saw an improvement in her demeanor on Saturday. I didn't get to see her Sunday or yesterday because we had another funeral to attend but I plan to see her later today.

After the funeral yesterday, I rushed home, well as much as the roads out here would let me, and met the guy to install our new wood stove. I love it and the fact that it should lower our propane bill this winter. Besides, I just love sitting by a fire. There's something about watching a fire that is just pure comfort.

I have a busy day ahead so must get more coffee and get moving. Blessings, hugs and prayers to all of you!

Carolyn

EnumclawGramma
November 18th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Morning! Yes, I'm up uncharacteristically early. I woke up ruminating about this extremely rude neighbor we have and all he's done to us and our way of life since they moved in. I finally decided to get up and stop thinking about him because he was already ruining my day. Ugh.
So. Hoping to get some sewing done today. I need to do some cleaning in my sewing room too. Where does all that dust come from?? I have a couple Christmas gifts I need to at least start, and hopefully finish up at least a quilt top.

It's cold today! This should be the last freezing day and then it's back to the regular seasonal rain. Doesn't that just make ya wanna move to Seattle?

The fire is going, the coffee is on. I guess there are benefits to getting up this early! Have a wonderful day!

Mpyles
November 18th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Good morning! Up sucking down some caffeine. Trying to motivate to get moving. temperatures are climbing back up slowly throughout the week. MIL lived in Licking, MO...but born and raised in northeast missouri where she will be buried. Looks like Friday will be the funeral. That will allow dd to get home from west plains so that she can go up with us. She does not have classes on Fridays. DS will just have to contact his professors and miss Friday classes. The neighbor is gonna help with the pets here while we are away.
Everyone have a great day!

irishrn
November 18th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Up a little later than usual! Hot tea in hand!
DH is also up which is VERY unusual since he went to bed at 330 am! He now has coffee in hand!
Spent yesterday putting batting scraps together with a zigzag stitch in perpetration for making some microwave bowl pot holders! At one point I thought they were multiplying behind my back!! I ended up making 5 strips of good size to use! ( I've been saving them for a while!!)
For the last 4 days DH has been insisting we had company overnight! Wanting to know if they're up yet or if they left.
We haven't had anyone in the house since last Friday evening and that was the kids and my GF for dinner!
Not sure where the confusion is coming from but it is a bit troubling!!! He was started on a new medicine after his cardiac cath on 10/28 and confusion is not one of its best known side effects but anything is possible!! He eventually clears up as the morning goes on but he needs closer watching! At least it's too cold here for him to venture out so he will be contained in the house!
So I hope everyone has a good day and stays warm and safe!

MayinJerset
November 18th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I'm back, moving around getting breakfast and empting the dishwasher seemed to help my aches, first cup of coffee helped too.

Shirley said, "BLACK ICE and drifted snow. I think I'm staying home for awhile LOL. I hate driving in that crap!" Hope you did Shirley or at least waited awhile until the roads were a bit more passable.

I'm so glad I'm retired. Half of my trip to work was through developments and most of their roads weren't too cleared of snow and had plenty of black ice. One morning this guy just had to pass me, well he spun out right in front of me and ended up in a bank of snow along side the road - lucky for me I was going slow and could stop or I wouldn't be here today talking to you guys.

When we got into my car yesterday I found the glove compartment open and DH's glasses were on the floor, DH says he doesn't wear glasses so how come he has 3 pairs in my car? Distance, reading and sun. Anyway we reported to police that besides messing up my car and his van they only took GPS from my car. Left tools and DH's sweatshirt in his van and my shopping cart in my trunk as they probably were only looking for GPSs, cells, laptops, games and money. Boy did they pick the wrong cars. Anyway DH was the last one to drive both cars and as usual didn't lock them = even after we had the same problem a few years ago. Police are always issuing warnings to keep your cars locked even in our driveways but DH pays no attention. We had a nice chat with Policewoman who came to get details. Last time they found the kids who were doing the breaking in and they both got jail sentences.

What else is on my mind? Oh, really am missing fresh summer fruits and have found apples and pears to be very expensive this Fall. Wanted to make some apple pear jam for little Christmas gifts but at the fruit prices it would be cheaper to buy little gifts. Butter was almost $5 a pound until this week's sale of 2.99 - stocked up on salted and unsalted for holiday baking. When I say stocked up is that I have 3 lbs in our fridge freezer. Don't have a big freezer and really don't need on with only DH and I and living close to 4 big super supermarkets but winter time weather keeps us indoors a lot more nowadays so I squeeze as much as I can into pantry and little freezer. Will have more freezer room after I take out the turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. I usually put it into my BFF's big freezer but she'll be away from Monday of Thanksgiving week so I kept it home this time. That's about it for today. 92942

Amy R
November 18th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Morning, coffee needs to find a way to go in IV form!
Little one woke up early so mama gets to too. Niko got in her way with his big dane bum, in which she yelled "back up jack!". My little sass master. They're fighting like real brother and sister this morning.
Today I'm going to work on sandwiching and quilting mama's quilt. I'm doing crescents on 1 and 3 rows, it should look nice with middle row just the stars. Since it's hand quilting I'll have plenty of time to take a break from row 3.
Yesterday I took a disney princess panel that the step kids' grandma gave me and made a little blanket for soph. It had some stains on it even after wash/dry so it's not give away able and she loves it. I backed it with a purple gingham fleece that she picked out and it was just a quick non quilted deal. It's already wrinkled from loving.

Bubby
November 18th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Morning Everyone,

I'm sitting here with a bagel and a cup of chai tea....this is heaven for me. It's so cold today and I have to go to the post office to send a certified letter, otherwise you couldn't force me to go out in the cold. I have two loads of laundry going. Even with two people I have laundry almost every day. I always say we're either really clean or really dirty!

I'm done for now with the big quilt project for a friend, at least until he sells a number of them. There's no point in working on 100 quilts if they aren't going to sell. I got 57 done for him. It feels good to have my kitchen put back together. I had cleared off the island for inspecting and measuring the quilts.

Yesterday I began sewing the Illusion blocks together. So far this quilt has been nothing but fun and easy sewing. Amy, the princess throw is darling!

Blondie, I'm glad you got to visit with your DD.

Have a blessed day friends.

GrammaBabs
November 18th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Seems I always post on "quilting day",,, but I'm up and getting ready to drag to the shower... I'm taking some pillowcases to sew today for Cyber Elves... had ordered some Christmas fabrics just for this and finally opened the package and washed them..I can crank them all out today for sure,,and then get back to ornament work at home tomorrow... Oh,, I do have a tote to make for one of my BFF's to take to Florida...I've quilted up some "flamingo" fabrics and found the "pet screening" I had tucked somewhere and "that's the plan"...The craft fair with Sis is this weekend, so i'll get rid of the PILE of stuff made for that..
Hoping to stop at PO for the stamps for mailings this year... (that always irks me,, the cost that keeps going up and up),, but it's my way of giving a little something of myself each year to the people in my life that mean so much to me..so in the scheme of things it's actually a bargain!!:)
Hugs to you all and prayers to you as well,, may you get thru your challenges and enjoy the good that life sends your way.. My life is still a roller coaster, but Life is good and keeping me focused on the positive.. I'm taking care of ME and hoping my family will do the same..Without you all at M* the focus would be so different... thanks again to all of you for being there always.. My wonderful world of quilting friends...:) Hugs, Barbara

Cathy F
November 18th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Morning all,
I'm home from my retreat. I had a wonderful time sewing away and chatting with my quilting friends. Got 5 mug rugs made for the girls in the Dr. office, and a pillow for my grandson for Christmas. Our welcome gift was a tablerunner or you could make 2 placemats from the kit we received. I liked it so much I bought more fabric to make another one while I was there. I also worked a bit on a couple of on going projects I brought with me.
Hope to see a couple of new faces on the forum here as I told my friends at the retreat about M*, they said they would check the site!
Weather was nice driving up to Lake George last Thursday can't say the same about driving home on Monday. Woke up Monday morning to snow and although it looked nice it was messy driving. The further south I got it turned to rain and it poured the whole way home.
Was exhausted I guess from too much sewing and socalizing cause I fell asleep in the recliner not long after I got home.
Good to be back with my forum friends today, and will need some time to catch up on all the posts I missed. I started reading some while having my coffee but got distracted by the cider donuts I brought home with me. Those are the best! Well better get a move on and get back to my regular schedule.
Hugs to all who are feeling under the weather and could use a few extra today.

Sandy Navas
November 18th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Mouth watering for Cathy's cider donuts - and I don't do sweets!!

Good Morning. Sending special prayers and thoughts to special ones here - Mary, have a safe trip for such a sad occasion. Barb, those certified letters help - hope you have everything documented! I thought it was interesting that Mary's MIL was from Licking - did the two of you ever meet up?

Today is Family Day - off to Leawood, KS to spend the day with Li'l Sis and Big Bro for our kid's luncheon. Love those days - we have so many giggles and even get to play a few tricks on each other. Today my SIL will receive a Maxine Mug . . . she got Mom's collection of the women's heads with the hats (pic below) and I have this Maxine mug that will blend right in. Of course, she won't see it for a while, I'm sure. They are going to head out for their Arizona visit soon. And then Al, of course, is gifting his latest feat to Sis. I can hardly wait to see how she likes it. Bernice would be so proud of him because he did the binding all by himself and it is near perfect for a first-timer. Unfortunately he had it wrapped before I could get a good close-up picture. I'll take one today and show his skills off. I'll post pictures of him in action in another thread.

I'm hoping everyone has a wonderful day. We just have to take what is handed to us and not other people's belongings. Reported two cars stolen yesterday because people left them running in their driveways to warm up before heading to work. Such a shame that we have to lock everything down . . .

Sandy Navas
November 18th, 2014, 11:09 AM

Head vases - won't Maxine look good sitting with these beauties?

Cathy F
November 18th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Sandy, they are great! I've not seen those in a long time. My daughter has two that she found in a thrift shop and loves them!

Over40momma
November 18th, 2014, 11:33 AM
:icon_wave: Morning all. It's been a busy few days here Castle Crazy. Have hunkered down and getting many chores done (hence my long absences here ( :icon_sniff: ) but all in a good cause. Kids have been bickering like a pair of terriers over a bone.....checked the night sky for the full moon. :lol: Probably selective amnesia but I don't remember scrapping with my siblings. When I said this to hubby he told me to adjust my halo as a horn was peeking out. (We're thinking of putting him on the comedy circuit.)

To those of you who have been praying for my youngest daughter, my deepest thanks. It is both humbling and joyful to know that you've taken time out of your day for her. You all are truly a special blessing in our lives. Your voices must have been heard because yesterday I got the call with the date for her to see the doctor. It's not until March 5th, but considering it can take 6 months to even get a phone call back.......this is truly a miracle. After the call, I just sat and wept for a few minutes in sheer relief. Then I did my geriatric version of a 'snoopy dance'. :icon_rofl:

Today I am going to try to make it back to my sewing room as I have fabrics all cut out for the Cyber Elves. With temps at -19C courtesy of the windchill, my previous engagement to walk to the library is cancelled......no sense letting the opportunity go to waste. ;) And if I don't lose total track of time, I'm hoping to make some cornbread muffins to go with hot chocolate so the kids will have a hot snack when they get home from school today.

Mary, my thoughts and prayers are with you all for a safe trip and the grief you are all going through. :icon_hug:

Thought for the day: Charity is not a hand-out, it is helping hand up. Blessed be,

Ahamblin
November 18th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Good morning everyone. Prayers and hugs for all those in need.

Really cold morning here in the Rochester area. We only got a little snow but just got a call from DS#1. He teaches High School English at a district about 45 mins. west towards Buffalo. Snow day for him. They are measuring the snow over there in feet. The lake effect snow machine is really cranking it out off of Lake Erie. They have closed the thruway from Rochester exit 46 to Dunkirk. 105 miles I believe. Safe travels to any who live in that area.

Really excited. My DD called yesterday and she is coming home for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately she is having a difficult time with her boyfriend and needs a break. She may be moving back up here but for now I get to have her for 5 days. Can't wait. Now I have to find places to hide the Christmas gifts I have made and are making for her. They are in the guest room. It will be so nice to have her here. I miss her so much.

Off to the sewing room. Good day to stay in the house and sew. Have a great day everyone.

Carrie J
November 18th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Mornng All!!!! Enjoying coffe as I type this, can anyone ever drink it fast enough with the first cup? We hit 19 last night and Lordy it was cold when I let the pup out! Shirley, black ice.........ugh nasty stuff, glad to hear you stayed home for a bit, wouldn't wish that stuff on my worst enemy! Mary sending you hugs of comfort and love and praying for a safe trip. Amy, LOL, your post cracked me up! Sandy, I haven't seen those figurines in forever! Maxine needs to be right in the middle of the group, a visual braking complete with screeching brakes and a laugh! As I'm typing this on the iPad, my apologies to those I've missed, this thing does not like flipping back and forth.........and DH is at Command Central on the desktop! One crummy nitpicking errand today, then, I'm hitting the sewing room. Got half of the pieced squares done, and will complete the "Open Mouth Insert Foot" top done. Tomorrow is the run to Rockwall. Hugs and Blessings to all, especially those that need them!

Simply Quilting
November 18th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Good Morning! A very cold morning this morning. I'm glad that I don't have to get out this morning as cold as it is. We are suppose to warm up some this weekend which will be nice.

Mary, prayer for safety, peace and comfort during this time.

Sandy, those are cute vases.

Have a great day everyone :)

MRoy
November 18th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Good morning or afternoon depending on your time zone! It's cold as whiz here with a dusting of snow. I finished a throw sized Double Slice Layer Cake quilt last evening. I pieced the top over a year ago and put it away. Now it's going to be a gift for DH's aunt. She's given him two quilts that she made as birthday presents in the past few years so it's the least I can do for her.

I got a request yesterday from a former co-worker to make him a quilt. He liked the Pineapple Blossom quilt pattern which I feel comfortable that I can handle. He's going to provide all the fabric and batting. I don't have a clue what to charge to piece and quilt a full sized quilt. All suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

I'm making chili this afternoon to take to sit-n-sew tomorrow. We're having potluck with different soups.

toggpine
November 18th, 2014, 03:20 PM
This is supposed to be one of the last days of the really cold weather here, and I'm thankful! Hubby let the fire go out last night and it was danged chilly in here this morning! It will take most of the day to reheat the entire house. On the good side of that I did get the ashes cleaned out of the stove. Hmmm. You think he planned that?

Yesterday I worked at the school with the Hands On Art project. They provide the training to the volunteers and then the supplies to teach the students how to do various art techniques. The only stipulation is that ALL of the students be given the opportunity to participate. If even one teacher fails to follow through with allowing time for the project to be taught in their class, they pull the program. The project takes about an hour from start to finish, and there are four projects in a year.
This one was Japanese Woodblock Printing. Instead of giving the kids a block of wood and a sharp tool to gouge it with, they provided a block of structural Styrofoam and a plastic sculpting tool. It worked out pretty well. I think I'll go to the next training so I can function as a back up to the couple of gals that got the program up and running.
It was amazing to see how the kids reacted to the fact that there was no right or wrong way to do the project. There were options for making the process easier, but each print was perfectly created by them in their own way.

I am now off to go put some smiling faces on Mom's snow-people so I can trim the applique blocks and get that top finished and on to quilting!
I'm thinking a nice cup of tea might make the scratchy throat feel better too.

You all have a good day and find someplace to put a smile today too!
Hugs, Cathy

Sandy Navas
November 18th, 2014, 09:28 PM
This is supposed to be one of the last days of the really cold weather here, and I'm thankful! Hubby let the fire go out last night and it was danged chilly in here this morning! It will take most of the day to reheat the entire house. On the good side of that I did get the ashes cleaned out of the stove. Hmmm. You think he planned that?

Yesterday I worked at the school with the Hands On Art project. They provide the training to the volunteers and then the supplies to teach the students how to do various art techniques. The only stipulation is that ALL of the students be given the opportunity to participate. If even one teacher fails to follow through with allowing time for the project to be taught in their class, they pull the program. The project takes about an hour from start to finish, and there are four projects in a year.
This one was Japanese Woodblock Printing. Instead of giving the kids a block of wood and a sharp tool to gouge it with, they provided a block of structural Styrofoam and a plastic sculpting tool. It worked out pretty well. I think I'll go to the next training so I can function as a back up to the couple of gals that got the program up and running.
It was amazing to see how the kids reacted to the fact that there was no right or wrong way to do the project. There were options for making the process easier, but each print was perfectly created by them in their own way.

I am now off to go put some smiling faces on Mom's snow-people so I can trim the applique blocks and get that top finished and on to quilting!
I'm thinking a nice cup of tea might make the scratchy throat feel better too.

You all have a good day and find someplace to put a smile today too!
Hugs, Cathy

Can you share pictures of the students' work? I'd love to see some. I also love the idea that they can create what they feel instead of telling them exactly how to do something. There's nothing wrong with blue apples if your heart flows that way!!