PDA

View Full Version : Card Fraud

brook
November 18th, 2014, 04:25 AM
Received a bill Saturday that said I had an $18.00 balance on one of my credit cards that I haven't used since April. The charge was from Amazon marketplace. I called the 800 # of the card co. to ask about it. They asked for the pin number for the card. I didn't know it. So they told me to go to my bank and get the number. Went to the bank and they told me I needed to call the 800# to get my pin #. This back and forth discussion continued for about 30 minutes while I was at the bank. Neither place could work with me without a pin number. So I had the bank and the card Co. talk to each other and they decided that I needed a new pin number. I was finally able to file a fraud report and my credit card was canceled. Interesting, though, before I left the bank, the person used my card again for another $18 amt.
In all fairness to the bank, they did a great job in helping me with the credit card co.

Be careful...look closely at your statements, especially the small dollar amounts.

kimsophia
November 18th, 2014, 04:36 AM
MasterCard phoned us to tell us about the suspicious charges and cancel our card. He said they had been fishing by inserting every number into a credit score site until it responded. :P

MayinJerset
November 18th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Glad your credit card was cancelled. I keep my receipts in an envelope in my desk and check off every item on my credit card statements. I don't use my credit card for everything so it is easier to be alerted when a new charge appears.

JCY
November 18th, 2014, 01:27 PM
DH calls in the 800 no. daily to track our credit card balance, etc. As soon as I charge something, he calls in & tracks everything. It pays to stay vigilant. JCY

Gina
November 18th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Glad they got it took care of! It is really scary how easy this can happen!

Granny Fran
November 18th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Our visa through the credit union has a fraud alert company that alerts us as soon as ANY charge outside of our normal spending range appears. Last year we were called when 3 $10.00 charges were made with his debit card(visa) in Miami FL at a Dollar General Store. We have never been to Miami. We got the call Sat AM and the charges were made on Fri PM. They asked if we would press charges if they found out who did it. ABSOLUTELY was DH reply. Card was cancelled immediately and Mon AM the credit union was notified and we were up and running again in the PM with a new card. Never did find out how they got his info as his debit card stays in his wallet.

alliek
November 18th, 2014, 01:44 PM
GRRRR. Life is stressful enough. This just makes me so annoyed that people will go to all those lengths to charge $18.00 to someone else and make their life complicated. Glad it all finally worked out for you.

MRoy
November 18th, 2014, 02:00 PM
My debit/credit card was compromised a couple of months ago. The bank called me about an out-of country charge on their fraud monitoring system. They didn't allow the charge to go through, cancelled my card, and ordered a new one just before they called me. I'd had the card for many years, but this was the first time something like this happened.

Vonnie
November 18th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I applaud the credit card companies for being so vigilant. I have a friend who's husband travels a lot on business. She has told me about getting calls from the CC company saying a charge is being made in South America and she confirms that her husband is down there on business.

I also thank cashiers whenever they ask me for I.D.

And I always use my CC for purchases - there's an extra layer of protection. I know someone who's bank account was wiped out from someone stealing his debit card info. And guess what, his mother had an account at the same bank and when his account was zeroed out his auto pay on some of his bills took the money out of his mothers account since her name was on his account. This in turned wiped out her account. Took them a long time to get every thing straightened out and their bank was not helpful at all. I told them if that was us, I don't care how many accounts we have there, we would change them to another bank. If you can't trust your bank you should not let them handle your money.

So lesson learned - my kids do their banking at different banks from us and from each other.

stationarymom
November 19th, 2014, 03:47 AM
My father had his credit card number stolen by a prison inmate.I don't understand why they have computer access while in prison.

GuitarGramma
November 19th, 2014, 04:26 AM
I had Credit Card fraud a few years back. The perpetrator paid $2 multiple times to Intellius trying to get our Contact info. Once he had that, he started buying Great America tickets. By the time I noticed, he'd bought $3,000 worth ($600 per day for five days). Chase was wonderful. They didn't even charge us the $50 that they're legally entitled to. I never heard whether they caught the guy.

BTW we looked at Craigslist when this happened and saw all sorts of "Discount Great America tickets" for sale. Should have said "Stolen Great America tickets"!

carrie liz
November 19th, 2014, 09:11 AM
I had so much trouble with my debit card as well as online access to my account that it took a trip to the bank to get it straightened out. Now I use Paypal as often as I can.

Bubby
November 19th, 2014, 09:20 AM
We have had this happen three times. One person used our card to travel abroad. They stayed ultra exclusive resorts and hotels and also used our card for airfares. I'm afraid this goes with the territory these days. A person can't help but feel violated when this happens. Glad you got things taken care of.

Vickie1965
November 19th, 2014, 09:58 AM
My bank actually suggested opening another account to use strictly for online purchases. It's also set up so that it can't dip into our other account if it's overcharged. We keep a certain amount in and make sure we keep track of our purchases. I'm glad everything worked out okay for you!

Quiltfreestyle
November 19th, 2014, 12:06 PM
We never use our debit cards for online purchases. Only use them at local stores for gas & groceries & fabric (ha ha). We always use a credit card traveling for everything, airfare, car rental, food even little incidental items. There's an extra layer of protection with a credit card & I've found it's easier to deal with them if there is a problem. Banks aren't always very helpful when your account is hacked..