PDA

View Full Version : Bursitis

cyndiofthevortex
November 17th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Help! I've developed bursitis in my left shoulder and have been told to do nothing to aggravate it, including sewing! I've been told if I rest it for a few days, with ice and ibuprophen, that it might improve quickly. If not, then I go to physical therapy and possibly get cortisone shots.

I am beyond sad! What do I do about my need to quilt?

auntiemern
November 17th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Personally I would opt for the cortizone injections anyway to aid in the healing. A good doc can do them without you feeling a great amount of discomfort. As a long time sufferer of these kind of inflamations, (synovitis in my elbows and shoulders) you really need to follow your doctors orders. As far as OTC Nsaids, I would opt for naproxen sodium (Aleve). Read and play on the computer....those activities should not put any strain on your shoulder.

Sylvia H
November 17th, 2014, 03:03 PM
I learned English Paper Piecing in the weeks that I could not move my shoulder. Now I have two obsessions (er hobbies).

cyndiofthevortex
November 17th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Personally I would opt for the cortizone injections anyway to aid in the healing. A good doc can do them without you feeling a great amount of discomfort. As a long time sufferer of these kind of inflamations, (synovitis in my elbows and shoulders) you really need to follow your doctors orders. As far as OTC Nsaids, I would opt for naproxen sodium (Aleve). Read and play on the computer....those activities should not put any strain on your shoulder.I'm sorry to hear you've suffered from this kind of pain.

I've had this once before years ago in my right shoulder and I had to give up hand quilting because of it. I thought cortizone shots were a last resort, but I'll ask the doc about them and possibly getting one soon.

I have two quilts almost finished and my goal was to get them done this week. So much for that! I'm just not a sit around the house person. One good things, though. I was told not to clean.

I'm just complaining and looking for sympathy and some ideas as to what to do.

Bubby
November 17th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Follow your doctor's instructions and rest your shoulder. That would be a good time to read quilt magazines and make lists of what to do when you can sew again. I went through the same thing several years ago in my right shoulder. It took a very long time for mine to improve, but it did. Hugs and prayers for a speedy healing.

rebeccas-sewing
November 17th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I'd say you'd better follow the doctor's instructions and forget about quilting until you heal. I also agree that cortisone shots will help you heal much faster. I had a frozen shoulder a while back. I saw an orthopedic surgeon and told him to do the shot. One shot is all it took. I haven't had a problem with that shoulder since. I will say that I cried when I got home because my shoulder hurt so much but I felt much better the following day. Once he gave me the shot he checked to see how much range of motion I had and I think that's what caused my shoulder to hurt so much once I reached home. I highly recommend you do this, Cyndy. In the meantime, spend time working on plans for future projects, read magazines and books on quilting, watch videos so you feel like you're still working on your craft.

cyndiofthevortex
November 17th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I've been sewing through the pain for the past few days. It sounds like that was a mistake! FMQing really made it hurt. Time to take it seriously, I guess. I suppose it is normal for me to feel discouraged. Time to pick myself up and do what I can until I can sew again. I do have some Craftsy classes I can watch again. And there's always You Tube!

Vonnie
November 17th, 2014, 06:43 PM
My shoulder has been hurting a lot lately. I think it's more that I tend to sleep on that side. So, when it starts hurting during the night, I get up and go to the recliner and sleep there - it prevents me from sleeping on my side.

So, Cindi, if you have a recliner, you might want to try sleeping in it for a while to keep you from rolling over onto your sore shoulder.

I have had those shots in both knees - it really helps.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Simply Quilting
November 18th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Please follow your doctor's orders. Dh had bursitis 7 years ago in his right shoulder. He ended up going to two doctors. The first one wanted to do surgery the next week but gave him a cortizone injection til the surgery. Unfortunately, the doctor gave the shot in the wrong spot and put dh in sever pain for two days. We sought a second opinion - the second doctor seen no reason for surgery and gave dh a cortizone injection in the correct place. In less than 20 minutes dh felt great and has not had an issue with his shoulder since then.

Monique
November 18th, 2014, 08:43 AM
One summer, many many years ago, I had bursitis hit every joint in my body. I never knew which part would hurt on any given day. I had to have a few cortisone shots too. We never did find out why, and thankfully it went away and I have not been bothered with it since. (knock on wood) I hope you get relief soon, it is no fun for sure.

irishrn
November 18th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Questions and Answers About Bursitis and Tendinitis (http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bursitis/#2)

Good article on bursitis vs tendonitis!
During my years in nursing I have had it on and off. I used a rub called mineral ice ( like icy hot) that was helpful in getting my range of motion back!
Hope this is helpful!
Best of luck cause it isn't fun having it!!!

songbird857
November 18th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Go fabric shopping online :) Hope you feel better soon!

cyndiofthevortex
November 24th, 2014, 04:19 PM
No sewing now for 10 days! I am instead organizing my sewing room. At least I'm spending some time with fabric!

Thanksgiving should be interesting. I won't be able to peel apples or potatoes or roll out pie crust or make rolls. I guess it's a good year for the family to really rally to make our meal great. I've got good kids. I'm sure they'll do their part. I'll be the director instead of the cook!

Yikes! I hope I get better in time to make some Christmas presents! I was planning on making fudge and cookies with a homemade ornament to finish off the package. But I just don't want to risk making my shoulder worse. Maybe it's time to visit those Christmas Fairs?