PDA

View Full Version : And so it's MONDAY once again

Blondie
November 17th, 2014, 07:20 AM

Hello Folksies!

It's Monday, its gonna be a rainy one, and I am really to hunker down and finish stitching a few small gifts for Christmas. It was so cold over the weekend, we finally had to crank up the woodstove. Sis stayed the night with Mom last night so I was able to get in my own lumpy one. Feels good whenever I get to sleep in my own.

The weekend was pleasant enough, even if it was cold. I spent a bit of time with a friend I hadn't seen in a bit, and also decided to visit my brother at the nursing center. Bad girl that I am - I should have been visiting more often, I know. He seems to be getting a bit stronger and I believe they will release him before he thinks. He is really getting the physical therapy work out and I do fear once he gets home he won't follow through and continue. Isn't that the way it goes????

since I decided to try to do the Grand Illusion mystery thing with Bonnie Hunter, I will also plan on picking out my own fabrics this morning. I am hoping that while I am shopping my scrap stash, I will get more put in its proper place. I generally group my fabrics by color, size, etc. Little by little I am getting more organized but when you are dealing with scraps it is a never ending cycle!!! Good thing I am not truly OCD (or CDO)

Enjoy your Monday, dearies. I may go visit daughter this afternoon when her class is over. Missing some good belly laughs with her. Phone chat just isn't satisfying enough.

Hugs, blessings, many prayers and smiles to my dear ones here.

share60
November 17th, 2014, 07:26 AM
I do look forward to your postings ,keep well safe and warm xxxxx

Andrea F
November 17th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Good morning to you ladies! After a very dark grey and sunless weekend the sky is blue again today. I did even see a bit of the sun earlier.
Good to hear that your brother slowly gets stronger, dear Blondie. I hope he gets to go home soon and will continue with his physical therapy.

I have nothing major to do today. Need to finish a short presentation I have to give tomorrow but that shouldn't take very long as it's almost finished. I'm going to visit a friend this evening for her birthday. It's kind of sad, once we finished university they all moved home/away or are so busy that we don't get to see each other very often although we only live half an hour apart. I've gotten into the habit of arranging for the next date even if it's months away. Otherwise it would even take longer until we meet again. I've also booked a train ride to Augsburg yesterday to visit my BFF there in three weeks. Can't wait to go there and also meet her new kitty.

Have a wonderful start in the week everybody!

HandsomeRyan
November 17th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Morning all.

It is cold and rainy here as well.

It has been a big week and weekend for Sawyer (aka: Wiggles).
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0852_zps6npfhtac.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0852_zps6npfhtac.jpg.html)
Last week he celebrated 9 months of escaping from the womb via the side door. So he's been out as long as he was in. Then on Saturday he finally learned to crawl! I know that is a little later than some kids but you have to understand that Wiggles is already bigger than his 2 year old cousin and that is a lot of body to get coordinated. He's been rocking on all fours and scooting backwards for weeks but he finally figured out forward motion (to crawl across the room and chew on daddy's laptop cord) on Saturday morning. Then last night his second bottom tooth finally broke through his gums. He's been very proud of his first tooth which he has had for a while but now it won't be so lonely as its neighbor is growing in.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Monique
November 17th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Good morning friends.

A very quiet weekend here. On Saturday we attended my niece's grand re-opening of her hair salon. It was a smashing success. We had snow yesterday so that pretty well anchored us for the day. I never ventured outside. I did make a zig zag table runner. I have to work today, all day, so I will pack up some projects that I can do. Other than that, there really isn't much.

Have a great day everyone.

Bubby
November 17th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Morning Everyone,

We have about 2 inches or so of snow. Unless I absolutely have something urgent to do I will stay in all day and make a pot of stew and homemade bread and/or rolls. Jeff has been hinting about needing chocolate chip cookies, so maybe I'll get motivated enough to make some today, too.

Now that my Plus Sign quilt is done I can go back to the Illusion quilt. The blocks are made (80) and it's just a matter of doing something with them. I'm not taking anything else to Reggie until January. When I saw her Saturday she had boxes and boxes of tops to quilt. I may go over and help her for a day later this week.

One of our tenants just made her first quilt, a Log Cabin for her Queen bed. She got it sewn together in no time. She may be a natural quilter. I guess I'm her quilting coach although I don't see her very often since she began working Saturdays about a year ago. We have been doing a lot via email and the phone. Another quilter is born!

The house has a chill this morning. I have a load of sheets washing and a couple more loads to do.

I hope everyone is snug and warm. Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

meemeecyn
November 17th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Good morning, all you special Quilters! Yucky outside with cold, sleet and a mess. Maybe I'll even get some more organization done in the sewing room! Yea, right I'm with you, Blondie. It is a challenge.

Great picture of Wiggles! He sure is cute.

Barb....so nice to hear you've brought another quilter on board this train. Isn't it great having a nearby partner to share this fun hobby with? Too bad you couldn't teach your doggies how to quilt!!!

Trying so hard to finish up some UFO's. Why is it so easy to start the projects, then more difficult to finish. I think it's because I like the creating of the top (design and sew), but get a bit bored with actually putting on the back, etc. I've taken to bringing them to the LAQ to do that, but it gets pricey after a while, so have to pick and choose. I did enjoy hand quilting a COC quilt, but it seemed to take forever to get 'er dun!!! But even with the sore finger tips, I felt a great sense of reward and peace.

Does anyone else have the frequent challenge of actually finishing a quilt? It doesn't help to say to myself, before you can start another one you have to finish this one. :)

Have a wonderful day, everyone.
Cynthia

buckeyequilter
November 17th, 2014, 09:58 AM
http://www.allgraphics123.com/ag/01/13854/13854.gif

I hope everyone is snug and warm.

Good morning...

I was snug and warm until I had to leave the house for work LOL. The roads weren't too bad...but I didn't drive too fast. They were worse after I got in town. I didn't slide until after I put the traction control on...but I don't know if it was that or not because I slide at that same stop sign every time there is snow. OK....now I have seen the snow it can go away until Christmas morning!

Well enough whining about the snow....my week-end was nice and I got a lot done. I'm hoping to get the Night Sky quilt top finished this week and then move on to the turtle quilt. I have a couple small projects that I want to do. I think I'm going to put my quilting away in January and clean and organize my room! Then spend cabin fever month (February) working on quilts....maybe it will help.

Well need to get busy....have a wonderful day!

Amy R
November 17th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Well the weekend flew by again didn't it!!
Sending hugs to cute little Wiggles!
It started snowing late last night and is still going strong. Love it! (New yorker) but Hubby (Texan) absolutely hates it. I must raise this child to be a snow lover. LOL.
I am having a hard time with the crescents on mama's quilt. I haven't decided yet whether to persevere, or remove the two blocks worth that I have and just keep the stars. It's supposed to be all cut and pieced instead of appliqué so I may just tell mama I'll make her the real version another time. I really don't know, I am going to work on some baby quilts and fun stuff today. I mean seriously fabric shouldn't make you cry out of frustration should it? Cotton bully. :icon_beuj:
Hoping everyone has a healthy safe Monday.

songbird857
November 17th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Morning all -
'Wintry Mix' here... um, I love just about any kind of weather,... adore snow, love rain. Wintry mix not so much. :)
Need to get my ornament done and off to M* (yep... definitely late ;)) Hoping to finally sandwich my MQ from back in May so I can git er done and give it to my friend :) First, I will drop DD off at school and quickly run to the store for fruit and yogurt (a twice a week run - we eat ALOT of fruit and yogurt!) and get back here before FIL is really up and at em.
Gotta run for now, I'll check in later... hugs to all!
...forgot to add - I just loooooooove seeing Wiggles adorable face first thing in the morning!

Mpyles
November 17th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Good morning! Like to ask you all to keep my DH and children in your prayers as my mother in law passed away last night. Thank you.

Amy R
November 17th, 2014, 10:21 AM
So sorry to hear that Mary. Condolences and prayers incoming!

MayinJerset
November 17th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Oh Mary, Such sad news that your MIL passed away, prayers for your family and that she rests in peace.

Chilly and raining this morning and wish I could just stay in and quilt but I still have a mess of dining room stuff to clear out. Took all the dishes, cups, etc. from the dining room hutch before work began last week and now that I've put everything back I find I have lots of dodas left over. Also cleared out odds and ends in bottom hutch cabinet and left only my china and some candlesticks. Who needs all those odd butter dishes, creamers and plates from garage sales? I'll be dropping off a few boxes of donations at Good Will later his week.

Oh, that cutie Sawyer looks so warm and cozy in his winter hat and suit, I know I won't look that happy sitting in my cold car later before going shopping. Of course dumb me only took out some light weight winter clothes last month and now I'm hunting for my heavier stuff especially the sweats. Also need to check out my going to meeting clothes for the upcoming holidays. Had ordered a nice outfit and some basic black/navy pants on line but although I ordered them in my size they all were too big and too long. Not much of a selection in local shops but I better get shopping soon before everything is sold. Kmart has always been a place where I find one dressier top per year, Target clothes I don't care for so that leaves Sears and Kolhs. Have both shops nearby but limited selections. Been surprised a few times at finding something at Walmart - usually a seasonal top and/or basic pants. Prices are good but clothes only good for one season as they fade or get out of shape quickly but then they become good house clothes.

Picking up my free turkey this week, since there will be only 4 for dinner I'm getting a turkey breast. Whole turkey makes better gravy but will be too much leftover. Expecting other family to join us for dessert but then you can never have too much leftover dessert - it never goes to waste in our house.

share60
November 17th, 2014, 10:47 AM
have tried hence the 15yr old demon quilt sitting there glaring at me get me finished it saysstay snug and warm,I will send some Perth sun to you in a couple of weeks lolxxxx

share60
November 17th, 2014, 10:49 AM
So sorry Mary my sympathy to all the family hugs

Sandy Navas
November 17th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Good morning friends.

A very quiet weekend here. On Saturday we attended my niece's grand re-opening of her hair salon. It was a smashing success. We had snow yesterday so that pretty well anchored us for the day. I never ventured outside. I did make a zig zag table runner. I have to work today, all day, so I will pack up some projects that I can do. Other than that, there really isn't much.

Have a great day everyone.

Don't forget your pincushion!!!!!!!!

Ahamblin
November 17th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Good Morning Everyone. Blondie I do love reading your postings every morning.

Quiet weekend here. My foot was hurting so I needed to take it easy for a couple of days. Can't wait to get the stitches out next Monday. My DH had some work done on his right foot (big toe nail removed) last Wednesday so we are a pair. Walking a great deal really pushes it right now so I finally caved and let DS#1 go to the grocery store for me yesterday. My BOM final meeting is next Saturday and the top is finished but really needed to get it sandwiched and start quilting. MY wonderful DIL came with Sean and she sandwiched the quilt for me. So sweet of her. This morning I will start the quilting if I can figure out exactly what I want to do now.

Wonderful surprise last night. Got a phone call from a strange number and it was my college roommate. We haven't spoken in years and finally found each other on Facebook. There are times when the internet and social media are really nice. How wonderful it was to catch up with an old friend.

Snowing this morning and cold. We are expecting 4-8 inches of snow so will stay in the warm house and sew for the next couple of days. Not supposed to get my bandage wet so great excuse not to go anywhere.

Have a wonderful Monday.

Sandy Navas
November 17th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Prayers going out to those in need - you know who you are. I've got you covered!

What is it about our little Sawyer - he smiles with his eyes and that's a very, very special trait. Kinda gets your heartstrings!

Today is a very, very special day around here. Al and I are celebrating (as well as two old fogies can) 47 wonderful years together. We've talked about several places to go for dinner - but I'm not sure if we've settled on one. Other than that we'll be doing a repeat of the weekend. I'll probably post pictures later (if I can sneak a few with him not noticing) . . . but I've created a MONSTER! See, he started asking questions about applique and how it was done. Now what would you do? So . . . I unwittingly showed him. He's almost finished with a snowman with WORDING "Let It Snow" all fuse-appliqued and stitched down . . . WHAT HAVE I DONE?

While he was stitching away I continued work on my Aunt Clara's quilt. Right now I think I probably have enough blocks to make a couple quilts. I did let it get away from me. The blocks are huge though and all the left overs will definitely make it into a charity quilt.

You'all take care and behave, be safe, be happy, be healthy and be quilting.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 17th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Good morning all! Mary, you have my sympathies on the loss of your MIL.

Ryan, can't believe how big Sawyer is growing! What a handsome little man he is! Takes after his handsome father!

We had some snow yesterday, and now it is really cold. But sunny, so that's a plus! I only got a few blocks done on a new quilt top this weekend. I need to concentrate this week on getting going on finishing some half finished projects for Christmas presents. I have an early morning dentist appt. in a little while. Then it's just sewing time! Nothing else on the plate til Saturday!

Hope you all have a great day!

Miss Sheri
November 17th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Good Morning Friends,
Mary dear, I am adding you and yours to my prayers today too.

Thanks Ryan, for sharing that sweet boy with us, his sweet face brightens my day.

Sandy, and Al, have a wonderful day!!! It's sad that not very many make it so far in their marriages anymore, definitely something to celebrate!

As for me, I'm down to the last two weeks with my sweet baby boy (now 18 yrs old) He heads out for two years on an lds church mission a few days after Thanksgiving. I will have two serving at the same time for about 8 months. Why is it so hard to let the youngest head out into the world?! Life has been crazy busy, but very sweet as we spend lots of time together taking care of all of his preparations. I love these kids so much, I feel so incredibly blessed to call them my family.

Love and hugs to all of you. Prayers for those special few who need the extra love and support right now.

Miss Sheri

PS. . . rejoice with me. . . I've lost 30 lbs in the past three months. . . almost halfway to my goal of 70. YEA!

Blondie
November 17th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Ryan, your bouncing baby boy is just too precious ! He is truly capitivating.

Mary, I am sorry about your family's loss. Big hugs and many prayers for comfort heading your way right this minute.

Shirley, I admire anyone who can drive in that stuff! Be safe.

Everyone with snow - you can keep it! Our flurries last week were enough of a head banger experience for me. I personally do not want any snow this year. I don't think I shall get my way . . . today is just gloomy dismal rain - hey, as long as it isn't snow, I can deal with that.

Off for some non quilting sewing repairs - ie. hem repaired in some slacks, buttons sewn back on and I am actually going to darn a pair of socks. I haven't done that in years, lol. It's like falling off a bike and getting back on.

Keep those smiles coming!

ravelim
November 17th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Miss Sherri. Terrific. I too am on that journey.

Mary condolences to you and yours. Death is a part of life they say but boy that parting is sad and hard to take.

Ryan, that child just keeps getting better and better. Thanks for sharing.

We had 4" of snow. It's beautiful if you don't have to go anywhere.

I'm un-quilting DS quilt , just part of it. Going onward to another top just for a break.

Have a great day and hugs and prayers for all.

Mom23
November 17th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Good Morning All,

Blondie, I don't know about anyone else but I can't wait to get to the computer to check out your morning post. I'm late this morning. Slept until 7:55 and my workout class starts at 8:15. I made it with a couple minutes to spare. Brushed my teeth and dressed. Finger combed my hair on the drive there.

Speaking of driving! What the heck? 3 inches of frozen snow this morning. Ick. The reason I slept so late was because yesterday I left at 7:00 am, drove my boys to a Chicago Bears game, then drove them home. The last 70 miles of driving was very, very, slow. It was a stressful drive and exhausted me. I wouldn't give up the day for the world though. It was so fun chatting with the boys in the car. I missed having them both together, and I missed their humor. My older son is married so we don't see him as much as we would like. It was obvious the boys missed each other too. I got to hang out with a cousin while the boys were at the game and spending time with their Chicago friend after. Was it worth 9 hours in the car and 16 hours gone from home? Absolutely!!!

Friday and Saturday I had the house to myself while the guys went to the cabin to hunt. I spent most of my time sewing. Made another Teacup Quilt and got more than half of an Easy as Cake complete. Life is Good!!!

Have a wonderful week.

Blessings,
Robin

rebeccas-sewing
November 17th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Cleaning out, organizing, trying to gain some sanity in my house. The black algae is gone from the pool. The toilet leaking toilet is repaired. It damaged the ceiling so that will need to be fixed. The list of honey-dos for Joe to take care of when he arrives is in place.

I cleaned out the closet in the foyer to make room for some overflow of the kids' stuff. I organized all the clutter they dumped in the living room and dining room. I knew if I wanted sanity in my house I would need to get it done. Waiting for them to get around to it would probably be after I leave. I just couldn't face living here in this mess any longer.

Seriously, I'm getting ruthless unloading stuff that never gets used. What we've accumulated in our marriage of 32 years is astonishing. I think, with no exaggeration, I have donated eight carloads of stuff to our local charity shop. I hope they aren't feeling overwhelmed. hahaha They probably cringe when they see me coming. I know that a move is in my future. Lightening the load every time I come home for a visit will be much better than waiting until the time when we actually move. I think houses are like purses. The bigger the purse the more junk we carry. The bigger the house the more junk we accumulate. Downsizing is so freeing.

Just finished one fleece Cleveland Browns blanket for my husband's aunt and uncle. Two layers of fleece with a wide fleece binding. No need to quilt. The two layers stick to each other and boy is it warm. This is the perfect time of year to surprise them with this gift. I have another one in the works for my husband's cousin. I figure these are small enough for stadium use but also great in front of the TV. Here's a pic. This one measures around 58 x 58 (I think). The other one is rectangular - wider in width than length. I think that's a better way to go for stadium seating so two can wrap up without it being too long. 92893

Jean Sewing Machine
November 17th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Cleaning out, organizing, trying to gain some sanity in my house. The black algae is gone from the pool after dumping in about $140 of chemicals. The toilet that was leaking down to the laundry room ceiling is repaired. The ceiling is in need of repair now. The list of honey-dos for Joe to take care of when he arrives is in place.

Seriously, I'm getting ruthless with lifting the burden of possessions that never get used and just simply take up space. I think, with no exaggeration, I have so far onated eight carloads of stuff to our local charity shop. I hope they aren't feeling overwhelmed. hahaha They probably cringe when they see me coming.Rebecca, is you time in the Netherlands over, or are you going back?

rebeccas-sewing
November 17th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Hi Jean,

I'm home until December 17. Then I head to Richmond, VA to spend Christmas with my sister. I return to Orange County January 6 and remain in CA until almost the end of January. Then back to the Netherlands. Joe has another year on his contract. We had a two-year contract in London and stayed four years. We wonder if that will happen in the Netherlands as well. I guess they really value what Joe is doing for the company considering how much money it is costing them to keep us in Europe. I can't imagine they'll be wanting to continue spending this large sum for much longer but only the big bosses have the answer to that.

ravelim
November 17th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Hope everyone has a great day.

K. McEuen
November 17th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Happy Anniversary to Sandy and Al!

Does anyone else see the conehead thing that Sawyer has going on in that picture? Ryan, that boy is growing fast.

Simply Quilting
November 17th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Happy Anniversary Sandy and Al :)

Hugs Mary.

Sawyer looks so cute.

It has been a busy day around here. We started with two meetings scheduled that ended up with five meetings. But things are going good. It is so cold here today and suppose to be negative windchills tonight.

I can now sit comfortably and have not had to take pain meds for three days. Need to get some sewing done but probably won't be tonight the day has wore me out.

Have a wonderful evening everyone :)

Carrie J
November 17th, 2014, 08:54 PM
A very belated Happy Anniversary to Sandy and Al.
Huge hugs Mary.
And no Karen you weren't, lol, think Sawyer is just such a cutie pie!

A humongous 1/4" of snow on the ground, lovely sight to drink coffee by. Miss Priss (Mags our Bostie) did the "high step" like she was walking in ca-ca! Haven't laughed so hard in my life, she is DEF not an outside pup! By 10, it was gone, gone, but not the chill. By Sunday we'll have a high of 74, and we wonder why colds and bronchitis give us fits here in Texas! Did a bunch of running for BFF who's in hospital, she's doing better, but she's whining to get home. Nurses have her number though (heh, heh), and she'll be there for up to 3 weeks. Rehab's gonna take a bit of time. Got home around 2PM, and cheating with pizza tonight, yeah baby!

Still haven't caught up with the Forum, later, think I hear the doorbell, woot! Hugs and blessing to all, and especially those that need them. And Blondie, always look forward to your morning Howdies! :D

Sandy Navas
November 17th, 2014, 09:37 PM
A very belated Happy Anniversary to Sandy and Al.
Huge hugs Mary.
And no Karen you weren't, lol, think Sawyer is just such a cutie pie!

A humongous 1/4" of snow on the ground, lovely sight to drink coffee by. Miss Priss (Mags our Bostie) did the "high step" like she was walking in ca-ca! Haven't laughed so hard in my life, she is DEF not an outside pup! By 10, it was gone, gone, but not the chill. By Sunday we'll have a high of 74, and we wonder why colds and bronchitis give us fits here in Texas! Did a bunch of running for BFF who's in hospital, she's doing better, but she's whining to get home. Nurses have her number though (heh, heh), and she'll be there for up to 3 weeks. Rehab's gonna take a bit of time. Got home around 2PM, and cheating with pizza tonight, yeah baby!

Still haven't caught up with the Forum, later, think I hear the doorbell, woot! Hugs and blessing to all, and especially those that need them. And Blondie, always look forward to your morning Howdies! :D

The visual image of Mags is too, too funny!

Bubby
November 17th, 2014, 10:06 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Mary. Of course I will pray for the family.

alliek
November 17th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Rainy and chilly here in southern VA, no snow yet. The temp is going to nosedive these next days people!! Bundle up if you go out. I make a big pot of beef stew yesterday, today homemade muffins to serve with it. My DH favorite!. Good day for it. Getting ready for my family next week. DD comes in on Saturday, the rest show up Thursday AM and stay until Friday night. DD goes home the next Saturday, comes back in a few weeks for Christmas and stays until the 3rd of Jan. Wish she could just stay here, I miss her so much. She is my heart. Stay warm, be well.