PDA

View Full Version : Need Care Instructions

mommadeb
November 15th, 2014, 10:02 AM
My friend loaned me a fancy dress for our company work Christmas party. It's a pretty dress and fits me to a T. She told me it has a little stain on the front but just spot clean it with some dish soap. I'm thinking, if it's that small, it won't show.

Well....today, we finally had a bright sunny day and I looked at the front of the dress. It is NOT a little stain. It goes down the entire front of the dress. It looks like she was sitting down wearing it and spilled a bowl of something on the front. It goes all the way to the hem. I am just sick about it as I really want to wear this dress. It makes me feel like a princess.

My question is, the tag says 'Do Not Dry Clean'-which is ok. Our cleaners here do not follow tags anyway and I've seen more destroyed garments than cleaned. It also says 'do not machine wash'. Spot clean cold water only.

What do I do? I could put it in a garment bag and put it in the machine on handwash. Good idea? I changed the lighting of the pics so you could see the stains.

She will be at this party and wants to see me in the dress. I could just tell her that I couldn't get the stain out because it is huge.

I just don't know.

Bubby
November 15th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Spot clean means don't wet the whole garment. I don't see how plain water could remove that stain, which is rather large. Since your friend said to try dish detergent on her dress, I would try mixing a drop or two of Dawn in some cold water to use on a cloth. Put a towel under the stain and blot the spot with the water/Dawn solution. Then use another towel to blot up the moisture to see if the spot came off. Repeat if necessary. Don't 'scrub' on the stain or the surface of the fabric could be damaged. If that doesn't work, ask your friend what other measures she can suggest. Good Luck.

Sylvia H
November 15th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Spot clean means don't wet the whole garment. I don't see how plain water could remove that stain, which is rather large. Since your friend said to try dish detergent on her dress, I would try mixing a drop or two of Dawn in some cold water to use on a cloth. Put a towel under the stain and blot the spot with the water/Dawn solution. Then use another towel to blot up the moisture to see if the spot came off. Repeat if necessary. Don't 'scrub' on the stain or the surface of the fabric could be damaged. If that doesn't work, ask your friend what other measures she can suggest. Good Luck.

I think Barb's advice is the best you can get. Good luck!

New York Sue
November 15th, 2014, 10:39 AM
YIKES!
That looks like a red wine stain to me. OxyClean spray stain remover will get it out, but I'd be afraid to try it on a borrowed (fussy fabric) dress. Hope you find a solution!

Sandy Navas
November 15th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I agree it looks like a wine stain.

Check out this page - Help me remove a red wine stain! - clothing drycleaning silkchiffon | Ask MetaFilter (http://ask.metafilter.com/193249/Help-me-remove-a-red-wine-stain)

mommadeb
November 15th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

We don't have Dawn dish soap over here. I have to really weigh my options with this. My common sense tells me not to mess with a stain this large as it's not my dress and any damage is my responsibility. If I have to spot clean a stain that big, it would be just as wet as putting it in the washer.

I think I just answered my own question. Return the dress and don't do anything to it.

Carlie Wolf
November 15th, 2014, 06:02 PM
I agree with mommadeb. Return the dress and thank her for the offer. This is the type of thing that, gone wrong, ruins friendships

K. McEuen
November 15th, 2014, 06:20 PM
You might mention the size of the stain to her. She may not realize that it covers as much area as it does.

songbird857
November 15th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Return the dress and thank your friend. Be honest with her, you just don't want to take a chance on damaging the dress... who knows?? Maybe she will try to get the stain out and give it back to you if she is successful :)

Susann
November 15th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Return the dress and thank your friend. Be honest with her, you just don't want to take a chance on damaging the dress... who knows?? Maybe she will try to get the stain out and give it back to you if she is successful :)

Good advice!! I wouldn't touch it.

mommadeb
November 17th, 2014, 02:40 PM
The dress is being returned to its owner.

I talked to my friend today and showed her pics of the stains. She was absolutely shocked. She had no idea. She says she has never worn this to a fancy dinner. She is a singer and that is the only time she has used it. What she is assuming happened is that her granddaughters (who like to play princess) were playing with it and spilled something on it and put it back in the closet. All without her knowledge. She is going to talk to a dry cleaner herself and see if anything can be done. She felt really bad because she knew how much I wanted to use the dress.

Thanks for all the input.