• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meli
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2011

Quilting: It's not just for blankets

Are you comfy? Have a cup of tea close to hand? Good. It's time for one of my meli-rambles (aka long stories)

For many, many years, my parents belonged to the Pioneer Heritage Company, a group of individuals devoted to teaching and demonstrating and preserving the pioneer heritage so many Utahns have in common. Their most frequently used method is an encampment. They set up their canvas tents, which is where they really will sleep at night, and outside their tents set up their different specialties, such as blacksmith, woodworking, cooking, sewing, and my mom's specialty, spinning wool. Here's a picture of her "doing her thing" a number of years ago during the local Pioneer Day celebrartions, commemorating when the first wagon train of Mormons arrived in the Salt Lake Valley in 1847.

MOM SPINNING.jpg

Mom made all of her pioneer clothes, from bonnet to dress to corset to socks to petticoat and all points in between. Once I went to visit her and she had a new petticoat she was working on. It was several layers of thick cotton batting between two layers of muslin. Along the bottom 18" of it she was hand quilting an intricate floral motif she had designed herself. It had never occurred to me before that petticoats would be quilted (this was long before I got into quilting) Since it was heavier than the traditional thin cotton petticoat, I assumed it was for winter use, and said as much. Imagine my surprise when she told me it was actually for summer! She urged me to think about it and figure out why, but, I admit, it was beyond my sense of reasoning. Quilts keep you warm in winter. Thin cotton keeps you cool in summer. Right?

Not when it comes to petticoats, and here's why. Thin cotton has no shape, no structure, and will cling to your legs. During cooler months, women would wear several cotton petticoats at a time, which would wrap around their legs, providing added warmth. During the warmer months, the women would wear a single quilted petticoat. It's stiffness and ability to maintain its shape kept the fabric away from a woman's legs, and would allow air to circulate, thereby helping her to stay cool despite all the layers of clothing

This morning I've been thinking of family and history and this memory popped into my head and wanted to be shared.

Happy quilting!

Meli
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)
  • Monique
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: Quilting: It's not just for blankets

Thank you.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Carrie J
      Missouri Star
      • Aug 2014

Meli, not tea, but coffee and done now. Hopped back on, as is my habit, and caught your lovely article. Who would've guessed about the petticoats? But makes sense, in a odd sort of way, can't imagine wearing what the pioneer women wore today.....can you say swelter? Winter, well that's different, I look like the Michelin woman in the Winter, LOL! Thanks so much for sharing a part of your family history, always makes for a great story!
      What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

• Granny Fran
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2014

Thank you for such a wonderful history lesson. I learn so much every day when visiting this forum.
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

• Susann
          The Guild President
          • Jun 2013

How very interesting-thanks for posting the pic and explanation!!

Comment

• Ahamblin
            The Guild President
            • Sep 2013

Thanks for sharing. Wonderful story.
            Ann

Comment

• Cathy F
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2012

Learned something new, thanks for sharing not only the story but the picture of your mom!
              Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• Bratbear
                Applique Angel
                • Jan 2013

Thank you for sharing. I have often wondered about how our ancestors dressed.

Comment

• Wwena
                  Missouri Star
                  • Nov 2012

That was a great read! It really goes to show that people back in the day knew what they were doing when it comes to quilting.

My friend Helena were only last weekend at a two day class to learn how to make wool yarn. And I saw spinning wheels for sale at the sewing festival the other day, new ones! Smaller than the old, traditional ones but still the same thing. It must be really something, working with thread or yarn you've made yourself. I'd love to visit one of those encampments!
                  ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

• Carah
                    The Guild President
                    • Oct 2014

Great read. I love history & that story is so interesting to me.

Comment

• stationarymom
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jun 2013

Thanks for sharing.Like the others I find history and real accounts so interesting.
                      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• rebeccas-sewing
                        Missouri Star
                        • Apr 2010

That picture of your mom in priceless, Meli. Interesting story and makes a lot of sense. Feels like there should be a wagon train close by.
                        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

• Terri
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jun 2013

Thank you so much for sharing, very interesting. And that is the kind of history lesson that I will retain....a story, not just dates & facts. Did your mother ever get you to quilt a petticoat?

Comment

• MayinJerset
                            Missouri Star
                            • May 2012

Thanks Meli, What a great piece of Americana! This summer we drove to Sandy Hook Gateway National Park, the beginning of the Jersey Shore, went past the fishing and bathing beaches out to the Hook. There was encampment of a dozen big tents with people dressed in colonial clothing demonstrations their special skills just as you described your parent's groups activities.

My guild meets at a local park whose land originally belonged to a colonial farmer, our guild, Rebecca's Reel Quilters, is named after his wife. Research showed that Rebecca spun her own yarn and although she didn't make blanket quilts she did quilt her petticoats. Glad Meli filled us in about their use as we all just assumed her quilted petticoats were to keep her warm.

The Park often has demonstrations of colonial life on the property as well is tours of the old farmhouse and barn. We use these buildings as well as the newer and much larger ones for our bi-annual quilt shows. Attendees like the idea of strolling from building to building to view the quilts and also to have lunch.
                            Last edited by MayinJerset; October 27, 2014, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X