PDA

View Full Version : Cool Quilting Calculator App for your Phone!

BellasQuilts
August 2nd, 2011, 10:15 PM
http://apps.search.yahoo.com/search?p=quilting+calculators&sado=1&fr2=sg-gac&appid=390366459&appgid=9581870&pf=iphone&pd=2&pw=quilting%20calculators

Here is the description:
Robert Kaufman Fabrics and Quilter's Paradise have joined forces to bring you a collection of eight essential quilting calculators.

You'll be able to quickly convert between yards and inches, meters and centimeters; learn how much fabric you need for backing, batting and borders; and understand how many rectangular pieces can be cut from a larger piece. There are even calculators for square in a square, set-in and corner triangles.

A brief description of each calculator:

Fabric Measurement Conversion: Converts between inches and yards in decimal form, and yards in fractional form. (With metric equivalents.)

Backing and Batting Calculator: Determines how much yardage from a bolt of fabric is needed to make the backing for a quilt.

Piece Count Calculator: Shows the number of fixed-sized pieces of fabric that may be cut from a larger piece.

Pieces to Area Calculator: Indicates how much fabric is needed in order to cut a given number of fixed sized pieces.

Binding Calculator: Tells you the amount of fabric required to bind your quilt based on the quilt’s dimensions and the binding strip width.

Border Calculator: Shows the amount of fabric required to create borders, based on a quilt’s dimensions and the width of the borders.

Square in a Square Calculator: Works out all the key dimensions of a square in a square block.

Set-in and Corner Triangle Calculator: Determines the size of the square piece you’ll need to cut in order to create both unfinished set-in triangles and unfinished corner triangles. Less

Txgrandma
August 2nd, 2011, 10:43 PM
This would be cool if you had an IPhone. Wonder if there is a regular type caculator out there that will do all this. Since I'm new to quilting I haven't looked at any yet. But my brain is not geared very much for all the math. LOL I bought the fabric for the backing, border and binding for one yesterday and it took me an hour to get it all figured.

BellasQuilts
August 2nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
This one is for a Droid phone, but I am sure they have one for an iPhone. Wonder if there is such a thing as a manual calculator to do this? Hmm. Will have to track one down.

SuzyQue
August 3rd, 2011, 12:49 AM
I was given a quilting calculator that does a bunch of these things......not sure about all of them. I haven't had the time nor need to learn it all yet. Check out Hobby Lobby's sewing department and watch for it on sale. Not sure if they have them on here.......I would do check that first!

Monique
August 3rd, 2011, 09:40 AM
IS there one just for computers? I don't own a cell phone.

BellasQuilts
August 3rd, 2011, 10:57 PM
Found one: Calculated Industries Quilter's FabriCalc Quilt Design Calculator. Don't know how good it is though.

Txgrandma
August 4th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I think I have seen a quilting calc at Joanns, but haven't had the time to check them out. Planning on going in tomorrow and will take the time and let you know what I can about it.

Jude Harley
August 12th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Just got this and it's going to be invaluable. I have been planning my first quilt and ordering fabric and i have pieces of paper everywhere lol