@ my fellow Canadians - where do you buy cone thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WendyI
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2012

@ my fellow Canadians - where do you buy cone thread?

the LQS wants $34 for a cone of cotton thread. I just can't do that. Anyone have a better source in Canada that won't cost me my first and only child in shipping costs?
  • RiverMomm
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2012

Re: @ my fellow Canadians - where do you buy cone thread?

Essential Cone Cotton Quilting Thread from ConnectingThreads.com

I find connecting threads thread a little linty, but the price is right. PLUS my machine loves it. I love aurifil but my wallet doesn't.

Comment

• Monique
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2011

I bought thread from Superior Threads and love it, my machine loves it and it is not linty. A little pricier than Connecting threads which I also have, but worth it.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• sewlucky
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

I haven't looked at the price of buying cones yet for my machine. I will say, though, that I bought one of the Aurifil large orange spools of 50wt for either $9.99 (pretty sure that was the price) or $11.99 at my LQS and have used it for both piecing and quilting of two lap quilts now and it doesn't even look like that made a dent in the spool. The bobbins seem to last longer. It could be my imagination, but at this point I'm sold!!

50WT
        Last edited by sewlucky; September 2, 2014, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• sewlucky
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2013

Your question, as usual, is a good one that I've been thinking about for a bit here. I've been around and around in my mind about thread myself. I found a couple of good blog posts, for interest.

Thread: Which One Should I Use? | Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild

owen's olivia: Your Sewing Thread Under A Microscope || Visually Understanding Thread Quality

Terri

Comment

• sewlucky
            Missouri Star
            • Nov 2013

Thinking about this topic again. Here's an online source for Aurifil. I think per metre this works out cheaper than guterman, at least without coupons.

Aurifil Threads / Bytowne Threads

Comment

• Suzyq
              The Guild President
              • Apr 2012

Quilting friends of mine order from Marathon Threads.

Comment

• bubba
                Missouri Star
                • Mar 2013

I am not Canadian, but I will say that it seems like it takes forever to get thru a spool of Aurifil thread on the orange spool. They also sell it on large cones down here, but you are looking at the price you don't want to spend. I doubt I could get thru a big spool of that stuff in less than five years.

If you think that lasts a long time, the Superior Bottomline for the bobbins lasts even longer! I get three cones of it a year (always in new colors I don't already have) at Sew Expo and I think they are three for $20. Bobbins with that on it last three times as long! Both brands are well worth the cost.
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• sewlucky
                  Missouri Star
                  • Nov 2013

Thanks Pat! I did the math on the price/yd on the large orange spool and the big cone and it was like .007 cents/m at $10/spool 1300m) on the orange spool and .006 cents/m (at $37.50/cone 5900m) on the cone (Canadian dollars). I pay about $7.20/large spool (800m) for Gutermann which works out to .009 cents/m.

For the price, I far prefer the Aurifil!!

Terri

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                  I am not Canadian, but I will say that it seems like it takes forever to get thru a spool of Aurifil thread on the orange spool. They also sell it on large cones down here, but you are looking at the price you don't want to spend. I doubt I could get thru a big spool of that stuff in less than five years.

If you think that lasts a long time, the Superior Bottomline for the bobbins lasts even longer! I get three cones of it a year (always in new colors I don't already have) at Sew Expo and I think they are three for $20. Bobbins with that on it last three times as long! Both brands are well worth the cost.

Comment

Working...
                  X