PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Ponderings

cyndiofthevortex
August 17th, 2014, 03:41 AM
Hootie-hoot-hoot all you night owls out there! I know there's not as many as there used to be, and that's a good thing. Sleep is wonderful. Especially at night when you're supposed to be in bed and not up at the computer wide awake!

I have a dilemma. My baby son is moving out in a few weeks and his lovely room will be empty. It could be a guest room or guess what else it could be? Yes, a sewing room for Yours Truly. It has a pressed tin ceiling, beautiful green walls in a wonderful green that's sort of lime but not quite (lime is one of my favorite colors of all time), a blue painted wood floor and large windows that face three different directions, giving the room wonderful light all day long. It also has a large closet and a big blank wall that would be perfect for a design wall.

I now work in a 5' by 10' room off the kitchen, using the kitchen table to cut fabric and arrange blocks. The ironing board is also in the kitchen. I am often interrupted by the family because of where it is. It's easy to find Grammie in there! It is very crowded with not a space to walk around, just to sit at the machine. Shelves are everywhere to hold my fabric and other quilty things. But it is convenient to run in and do a little sewing between the busy life I live here.

The new room is spacious, pretty and just upstairs, not too far from the family but away enough that I won't be distracted so easily from my sewing time. But would I actually find time to get up there and work? That's where the biggest problem lies.

Does anyone see a downside to moving my sewing room upstairs? I need to be encouraged that it is not selfish to want a bigger room in the house and not to use it for guests. They now have to sleep in the living room where we have 2 large couches. I am a wishy-washy mama who is very used to putting others first. I know that's a good thing. Is this a good time to put me first instead?

Meli
August 17th, 2014, 03:47 AM
Cyndi, you sew all the time and your sewing supplies sound like they're taking over a vital part of your home where everyone ends up at some point. Moving into the bigger space doesn't sound selfish to me. It sounds practical! If you're really worried about guests, put a futon/sofa or a day bed into your new space. Guests are sometimes. Sewing is all the time.

Hulamoon
August 17th, 2014, 03:50 AM
5x10 is a closet! I agree with Meli get some futons. Everyone here uses them for guests. You deserve it!

rebeccas-sewing
August 17th, 2014, 05:05 AM
Take over that room, Cyndi! If you really want to have a bed for guests get yourself a daybed with a trundle and leave it against a wall in your new sewing room. They really don't take up much space. You might be able to put the current bed in your old sewing room. It might be tight but guests really don't need a lot of space. Might that be a possibility? They are only visiting for a short period of time (one hopes anyway). We have company coming beginning next week. That means I have to do some cleaning up and putting away of sewing stuff to make room for them, but it's okay. I'd rather fill a couple of plastic bins with my stuff once in a while if it means having a nice place to sew the majority of the time. It sure beats being cramped in a tiny room. It's silly to have a space that just sits most of the time not being used. Also, if you decided to make it a room for double use you might be more likely to stay better organized if you know there will come a time when you have to clean up for guests. If you organize the room well it won't be an issue if you have to give it up to guests for a bit. Life is so short, Cyndi, make the most of it. That sounds like such a fantastic room for it to be sitting vacant. If you're looking for permission to think of yourself in this matter you definitely have my approval.

bonniebella
August 17th, 2014, 07:24 AM
That room sounds wonderful, I say go for it. My sewing room is upstairs, yes I have to escape up there but love my own space although quite small. The light is better late in the day too.

irishrn
August 17th, 2014, 08:04 AM
My sewing room is upstairs to the right. My guest room is to the left! I leave the guest bed unmade and that is where I lay out my blocks!! When company is coming I just pick up, make the bed and clean the room and it's ready!!
Advantages: you get plenty of stair exercise. If I'm cooking/baking in the kitchen, I take the oven timer upstairs with me and head down when it dings!! Exercise!! I come down periodically to make a cup of tea! Exercise!!!
Disadvantage: when my DH comes up with a cup of tea for me he notices all of his shirts that I haven't ironed!!
What can I say!!
Dedicate the room to you! If you were kind enough to give it to your son all these years, he can give it back to you now to enjoy.
Guests are just that! They need to sleep somewhere, not vacation in your space!!
And all that good natural lighting is a plus for you and your stash! It's a happy place. Make it your own!

Deb7643
August 17th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Making the room off the kitchen into a guest room sounds great, just think if they are returning guest they will think it is great also to be in a room instead of sleeping in couches. Make your son's room into your sewing retreat, I did.

Debbie

mommiepainter
August 17th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to move into the empty bedroom. My sewing area is in my daughters old bedroom. I just do a quick clean up when it needs to be used as a bedroom again. The empty bureau is great to store sewing supplies. The bedspread is plain ivory and is works to plan projects. Because I also had a green room for my son, you may want to paint a few of the walls so it doesn't distorted your colors as you put fabric together .

Enjoy your new space. :)

Iris Girl
August 17th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Move upstairs without another thought. Let your old sewing room become the guest room. Enjoy all the room and wonderful light in your new sewing room!

Ginny B
August 17th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Go for it! Sounds like a great space for your sewing room. How often do you have guests?

Sandy Navas
August 17th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Guests are sometimes. Sewing is all the time.

Can we hear an AMEN?

MRoy
August 17th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Go for it Cyndi! You do so much for others, it's time to do something for you. A couch, futon, inflatable bed, etc can be used in the room for guests. I hope you treat yourself to this and ENJOY!

Monique
August 17th, 2014, 09:42 AM
MOVE UPSTAIRS.

MayinJerset
August 17th, 2014, 09:44 AM
The idea of moving your sewing room upstairs is a great one.

I did it years ago and it's great to be able to leave all my stuff out when I'm working on a project. My room doesn't sound as large as yours but I have a big sewing desk and big folding cutting/ironing table as well as a twin bed and night table. Many stacked totes under the cutting table as well as in the closet with batting and other quilty stuff with enough open space to pile my stuff into it when company arrives. Best thing is there's a full size bathroom right next to it. DS#3 and kids come down from MA regularly plus we have overnight guests every once in awhile.

2nd bedroom upstairs is larger and has a full size bed, DH's big desk, cabinets and closet for his photography stuff as well as a big storage closet. Have to say I wish I had taken over that bedroom as there is much more room to walk around but I'm happy where I am because no matter how much space we have we always could use a bit more.

pcbatiks
August 17th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Walls painted in your favorite color.......several large windows........great lighting........large closet....... big blank wall.......and a spacious pretty room..........................................Why Are You Still Sitting Here Reading Woman.........Get That Sewing Room Move Upstairs! :D

Cyndi..........the room sounds wonderful! We want to see pictures when you get it set up!

If I come for a visit........I'll be happy to sleep on the couch. :D

Mom23
August 17th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Check out the murphy bed in this sewing room. It sounds to me like your son's bedroom will be perfect for your sewing room. If you feel like you are spending too much time away from your family, do some small projects or hand sewing in the lower level of your room with your family.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/89/fa/95/89fa954a480a7419ef29252e05360fdc.jpg

cyndiofthevortex
August 17th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Check out the murphy bed in this sewing room. It sounds to me like your son's bedroom will be perfect for your sewing room. If you feel like you are spending too much time away from your family, do some small projects or hand sewing in the lower level of your room with your family.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/89/fa/95/89fa954a480a7419ef29252e05360fdc.jpg
There's a bed behind that wall? What a beautiful room! I'd love to spend my time in there.

ilive2craft2
August 17th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Can we hear an AMEN?

AMEN! Move upstairs! I took over my son's room when he moved out and it has been wonderful! I previously had part of the computer/office room, that room now has a bed in it for guests (including our son). :)

ncgrammie
August 17th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Cyndi, I have 2 sewing areas. My main one is my upstairs loft overlooking the living room. I opted for a loft rather than a bedroom in that space when the house was built. That space houses my Juki, ironing board, stash and my large cutting station. I use this area for larger projects -- ones that take time and ones that need special attention. I can be part of the downstairs conversation, etc. My second space is in my bedroom just off the main living area. It houses my Brother sewing machine, small cutting station and small pressing station. I use this for smaller projects. This one is very handy for days when I am in the kitchen a lot and evenings when I just want to do a few things or I just don't feel like climbing the stairs. So my suggestion is to take over the bedroom because the room sounds beautiful and you deserve it and you have waited a long time for it. You can also keep your area downstairs because you deserve the comfort and the productivity of both.

alliek
August 17th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Go Go Go , Pack it up, recruit the family and MOVE UPSTAIRS!!!!

cyndiofthevortex
August 17th, 2014, 03:26 PM
So my suggestion is to take over the bedroom because the room sounds beautiful and you deserve it and you have waited a long time for it. You can also keep your area downstairs because you deserve the comfort and the productivity of both.Theda, now you've given me even more to think about! I do have more than one machine and really could use both the larger room and the tiny one. I'm keeping my options open. I'll post pics of both rooms when David moves out so you can all see my choices.

Cathy F
August 17th, 2014, 07:04 PM
For the most part I love having my sewing room upstairs. I can leave a project laid out and not feel guilty about the mess and know I can go back up there and pick up where I left off. However there are times when I don't get up there as much as I would like as I sometimes feel isolated up there for long periods of time. When I sewed downstairs I was in touch with everything going on in the house.

cyndiofthevortex
August 17th, 2014, 07:56 PM
For the most part I love having my sewing room upstairs. I can leave a project laid out and not feel guilty about the mess and know I can go back up there and pick up where I left off. However there are times when I don't get up there as much as I would like as I sometimes feel isolated up there for long periods of time. When I sewed downstairs I was in touch with everything going on in the house.Not getting upstairs often enough and feeling isolated are the two main problems I worry about. But I am starting to think about where I'd put stuff if I did move my sewing room, so you know the direction I'm now heading! Still talking it over with DH and putting lots of thought into it. It would be a major job to move things around, but I'm thinking it might be worth it in the long run.