PDA

View Full Version : Menopause: A Brave New World... or something

Meli
August 15th, 2014, 03:29 AM
While I haven't had the lab work to back it up, both my doc and I are satisfied that I'm finally entering menopause. We discovered this while I was sitting in his nice, air conditioned office last week, getting all dewy from the strain of sitting. This phenomenon also occurs while engaged in the strenuous activities of folding towels, picking out a seam, and reading. Also turning on the iron, setting a pan on the stove, and accessing the internet. What joy is mine! In addition, there's also the lovely "night sweats". I don't really get sweaty, just can't cool off. Unless I turn a fan on, and then I'm freezing within moments.

So my doc and I discussed this and he said we could run the tests, but asked me how I wanted to approach this. I had made my decision years ago: I will just ride it out. Hormone replacement therapy is known to prolong the overall length of time menopause takes. It also makes me a right nutter! I buy the oddest things, can't remember why I thought them necessary in the first place, and I'm the most emotional woman on the planet! Given that I'm already pretty emotional, that's saying quite a bit. While this may mean we spend the winter with the windows wide open, DH is in full support of my plan, since he's seen me when I get emotional and he'd like to avoid that unique experience whenever possible.

I half expected doc to fight me on this, but he was in complete agreement, though for different reasons. He said he will not prescribe any meds for menopause because they will put me at greater risk for heart attack and stroke. And since I'm already in a high risk category for those things, he'd just as soon not push me over the edge.

And so begins the latest phase in my life. Can't wait for it to be over. In the meantime, please send all your unused fans and unwanted ice trays to my house. I promise I'll send them back just as soon as this personal heat wave has ended!

MayinJerset
August 15th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Menopause isn't the Best of Times in a woman's life. Have no remedies to suggest but how about a little battery operated personal fan to carry with you?

Meli
August 15th, 2014, 03:59 AM
Thanks, May! I've got a fan on my desk, several fans about the house, plus the air conditioning, and the air conditioning in the car. In theory, I should be fine. But I may have to check into a PFD: Personal Fanning Device.

Menopause isn't the Best of Times in a woman's life. Have no remedies to suggest but how about a little battery operated personal fan to carry with you?

rebeccas-sewing
August 15th, 2014, 04:09 AM
It's a tough part of the aging process. I've been going through it for quite some time. I started taking HRT many years ago and have now reduced it to half the dosage. I guess eventually I'll get myself off it completely. There were several factors for going on it that I won't go into but I feel the HRT really improved the quality of my life. I know it's not for everyone and it is definitely something that should not be taken without some serious thought, weighing pros and cons.

Live to Quilt
August 15th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Sorry you have to go through this, but do you know how lucky you are to have a hubby to be a part of decissions and being informed about what your going through.
I started this when I was 27 and still having problems.
Good luck

Jean Anne

Terri
August 15th, 2014, 05:06 AM
Welcome to the club. :icon_rolleyes: I am on BHRT (bio identical hormone replacement therapy). Working with a compounding pharmacist who is wonderful. I am VERY estrogen sensitive and barely need any, I am also on progesterone and DHEA. All are topical creams, so they can be adjusted/tweaked without making a new batch of pills. I rarely had hot flashes....just periods of time where I couldn't get cooled off, but not bad. The night sweats were awful, now they are totally gone. Like you I was/am always super emotional and when all of the "mental"pause started it got so much worse! I thought I was just going to have a meltdown watching sad or moving commercials on TV!!! Now that is under control too. Still emotional, but don't cry if someone just looks at me. My primary care doctor put me on premarin as soon as I mentioned the symptoms, then I saw the pharmacist and found out that premarin is made from PREgnant MARe urine. OMG!!! I went home, dumped it in the toilet & flushed!! Told doc no more premarin!!! Premarin is estrogen and it is what I don't need, I need very little of that....it's the progesterone that I was lacking. Gotta look out for myself instead of having blind faith in my doctor. Love him, but still have to question some things some times. Take care and hang in there!:D

edwina
August 15th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I can feel your pain girl lol.
I have been having a terrible time with some horrible symptoms ,I have seen a consultant and I am awaiting for an op to help reduce my bleeding and check things out ,I do feel a bit better on hrt but it took 3m to settle symptoms down still having burning down below and burning in my legs and feet horrid .menopause is not for the faint hearted :icon_wave:

New York Sue
August 15th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Meli, I rode the 'estrogen wave' (Premarin) for as long as a could (maybe 4-5 years) because the hot flashes were RIDICULOUS. But my doc felt the at my current age (56), the risks outweighed the benefits.
Once the 'surges' (20-30/day, and very sleepless nights) started back up again, I was beside myself! After speaking with my sister (also menopausal), I asked my doc for Effexor XR, 37.5 mg daily. It worked almost immediately for her, and thought it might for me. And it HAS, I'm happy to report! (Effexor XR, is marketed as an anti-depressant...)
I'm not crazy about throwing another pill down my throat daily, but it has made my symptoms disappear.
I hope this helps someone, it sure has helped me!

Mom23
August 15th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Like you, I am riding out menopause without hormone replacement therapy. I do take Ambiem to help with sleepless nights. I don't take them every night and never take more than half a pill. The "personal climate moments" are getting much better but they still creep up on me on occasion.

pcbatiks
August 15th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the world of........why is my pillow so hot?.......why am I so hungry......I just ate 5 minutes ago!.........What does that look mean?.........if I don't get chocolate now, I'm going to choke someone.......why is my skin crawling........what was I saying........where was I going..........what was I doing.......oh look a shiny object!.........why am I crying....it's just a commercial.......all my clothes are bugging me.......why is it so hot in here......why do I feel so jittery....where is my to to list & what was I going to write............................................. .............................................

and on and on and on! Feel free to add to the list.......I know there are plenty more...... :D

:icon_mad::icon_sleep::icon_mooooh::icon_confused: :icon_neutral::icon_scared::icon_crazy::icon_cry:: icon_bah::icon_rofl::icon_doh::icon_eek::icon_snif f:

My DH tell me I have "Shiny Object Syndrome"..........very easily distracted.....and course he says this in a humorous way.

New York Sue
August 15th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Welcome to the world of........why is my pillow so hot?.......why am I so hungry......I just ate 5 minutes ago!.........What does that look mean?.........if I don't get chocolate now, I'm going to choke someone.......why is my skin crawling........what was I saying........where was I going..........what was I doing.......oh look a shiny object!.........why am I crying....it's just a commercial.......all my clothes are bugging me.......why is it so hot in here......why do I feel so jittery....where is my to to list & what was I going to write............................................. .............................................

and on and on and on! Feel free to add to the list.......I know there are plenty more...... :D

:icon_mad::icon_sleep::icon_mooooh::icon_confused: :icon_neutral::icon_scared::icon_crazy::icon_cry:: icon_bah::icon_rofl::icon_doh::icon_eek::icon_snif f:

My DH tell me I have "Shiny Object Syndrome"..........very easily distracted.....and course he says this in a humorous way.

Brilliant post, my friend! That was kind of IT, in a nutshell!

Claire OneStitchAtATime
August 15th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Apparently SSRIs off-label can help. A friend of mine started on Celexa, & it seems to be helping with the hot flashes. Now we know what our mothers & aunts were talking about in low voices around the kitchen table!

pcbatiks
August 15th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Brilliant post, my friend! That was kind of IT, in a nutshell!

And sometimes.....all of those thoughts are going through your head at the same time! :D

Meli
August 15th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Pam, that was absolutely adorable and hysterical! Love it!

Momama
August 15th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Effexor was the answer for me, started out with 75' 2/a day, now 7years later., 1/2 once at night so 37mg. Can't do every other night yet, whew, heat waves, i'm 58, started at 51, my doc. Said be patient you have a couple more yearsssssss (?) to go! Dang!

Momama
August 15th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Pam, I couldn't have said it better! You nailed it!

janluna
August 15th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Pam, you hit it right out of the park! LOL I especially hated the skin crawl. It drove me crazy! I had all the other stuff too. Why did we have to be saddled with all this stuff. Ya know, like childbirth, hot flashes, hormones, PMS!!????!!! Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

pcbatiks
August 15th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Pam, you hit it right out of the park! LOL I especially hated the skin crawl. It drove me crazy! I had all the other stuff too. Why did we have to be saddled with all this stuff. Ya know, like childbirth, hot flashes, hormones, PMS!!????!!! Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

Hey Jan, For me the skin crawly thing would happen at night........and of course wake me up! So I would just get up and spend time reading on the forum! Thankfully, it has only happened a few times but it does feel weird!

twnkeyes
August 15th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Ya know, I think the Good Lord has a great sense of humor. First menstrual cycles, then birthing babies and now menopause. I sweat when I sew! I'm told it will get better but mine have been going for 5 years!!! When does it stop????

laura44
August 15th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Wish mine would stop! Hot flashes at the worst times, sweat dripping down
my face. Trying to ride it out, already 2 years since my hysterectomy.

Miss Sheri
August 16th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Well, for me, the pre-menopausal stage was the worst, when the periods went WILD, the emotions, the hot flashes, night sweats, the skin crawl, the distraction, all of it. But I am finally considered post-menopausal last period was a couple years ago. Things are starting to even out a bit, although I still have some of the symptoms, the body temp. has evened out greatly. I too have decided to "ride it out". I wish you well Meli, (and all the rest of you too!). I think it will eventually get better. Hugs Sheri

PS, Pam, your post was Brilliant! :icon_tup:

Meli
August 16th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Thanks, Sheri. I always had crazy, out of control, trying to kill me periods (nearly bled to death a few times). My doc convinced me to have a hyst about 5 or 6 years ago. He left my ovaries, though, so I wouldn't go through menopause too early. Even if I were still menstruating, there's no way we could use them to decide if I was pre-menopausal. Couldn't count on those nasty things for anything other than being a nuisance! I'll take the hot flashes, happily, over that!

maxwellthecat
August 16th, 2014, 01:47 AM
I'm not being sarcastic at all but, Steps during menopause.

Buy yourself a separate freezer and get into it, LOL.

Wait for a snowstorm and go sit outside[/COLOR]

Stay out of shopping malls and regular stores

Stay far away from people

Go to Victoria Secret and buy skimpy nighties

The hell with the skimpy nighties, go naked

Tell your DH he better sleep with one eye open

Been there and done that

I hope I put a little smile on your face and I hope you have an easy time.

Meli
August 16th, 2014, 02:15 AM
LOL I have slept naked a couple of times recently. Always catches DH off guard. "Ohhhh, what did YOU have in mind?" Me: "Not melting to death. Do NOT touch me!" The man wisely stays on his side of the bed.

Hmm... a freezer just for me. I'll have to check into that.

shawnan
August 16th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Good luck to you.

The Sweat-Drenched Woman's Guide To Enjoying An Un-Medicated Menopause*|*Roz Warren (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/roz-warren/the-sweat-drenched-womans_b_5679670.html)

Nancy

ilive2craft2
August 16th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Welcome to the club Meli! For me, menopause has been better than the pre-menopause and endometriosis. The hot flashes come and go for me.

One of those cooling towel things might help the hot flashes/body melting feelings - I laid them around my neck and it would sometimes stop the hot flash in it's tracks, but not always. There are a few brands of them, here is a link to some of them at Bed Bath and Beyond Search Results for cooling towel - BedBathandBeyond.com (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/s/cooling-towel/?&searchMode=mode+matchall) they had them at the checkout counter when I was there last week. With this, I didn't have to buy a freezer just for me. :)

i also sleep in very little or nothing and have a fan running every night. DH now sleeps in sweats and uses a comforter almost year round......... Sorry that you are having such a rough time with it, I also just rode it out.

Amy R
August 16th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I started going through hot flashes and mood swings last summer at 35 years old. YUCK. Luckily I had my baby already as the Dr believes it's early menopause for me. My hormone levels are still normal but the symptoms are enough to warrant some Effexor once daily with hormone balancing from birth control pills. My grandmother went through this at the same age for a year or two then returned to normal for a good 10 years or so until regular age of menopause.
Time will tell. All I can say is there isn't enough AC or ice cubes or fans around when the hot flashes hit.

Iris Girl
August 16th, 2014, 07:04 PM
For me pre-menopausal was definitely worst. As the first to NOT have endometriosis or fibroid tumors. I had nothing to go by. All my aunts and mom had hysterectomy in their early to mid 40's. The excessive flood bleeding was the worst, and trying to work like that. That was in my mid 40's. Now in my mid 50's I have been period free for 10 months then the old ovaries pulled one last hurrah, and I am now 8 months period free. I sleep in very little or naked in the warm weather with just a sheet as we do not have AC only a fan. My head and neck has always been where I sweat and around my waist. Can't say I have actually had any really bad hot flashes , or other crazy symptoms. I am med free so doing this naturally also. Now I am at an age where I could where white pants yet I'm such a Klutzy slob I don't dare. LOL. Give me some jeans and a t shirt or short and a tank top and I am happy.

MartinaG
August 16th, 2014, 07:31 PM
My favorite part is the brain fog when simple words just disappear. Like... I want that thing to eat when you take slices of bread and add coldcuts in the middle. Oh, says DH, a sandwich? YES a SANDWICH - now why can't I remember that word? Or the day when I found the milk container in my purse and the car keys in the fridge. I actually go to the fridge/freezer first now when I can't find something. Still missing a pair of pants. Not sure where they went. The emotional instability fortunately is easy to read on my face and my colleagues give me a wide berth. They also don't react any longer when they find me in the ladies room with my head under the faucet. But it is getting better so you just hang in there.

Navy Wife
August 16th, 2014, 09:05 PM
I've had all the symptoms you gals have had. Mine started at 43 and I'm still having some at 76. I had a hysterectomy and they took the ovaries. I was on HRT for about 6 or 7 years. It helped a little, but not much. Then discovered I was allergic to Progesterone. No wonder the HRT didn't help much! 5 years of estrogen alone calmed them a little. Then Effexor XR appeared, and like the others have told you, it is a life saver. I was on the stronger one for several years, now on the low dose. I still have some symptoms, but not as severe.

By the way, if you want to laugh about it, try to see Menopause, the Play. It is hilarious. I have seen it twice and laughed harder the second time!

MRoy
August 16th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I've toughed it out without medication due to breast cancer history in the family. The hot flashes and night sweats were rough for awhile but I seldom have them now. Meli, I hope it gets better for you too as time goes on.

Meli
August 17th, 2014, 03:44 AM
This thread has become fabulous! All the stories are making my day and I love them all. Some of them are just cracking me up! Hugs, y'all

Navy Wife
August 17th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Correction. It's Menopause the Musical. Wish they would make a movie!

TocanTango
August 17th, 2014, 05:46 PM
In third world country's the women don't go through menopause . That is because they don't eat all the junk food we do here in the US. Have you tried milk thistle ? It cleanses your liver and for most it stops the hot flashes. Also, stay away from soy, it makes matters worse!

WendyI
August 17th, 2014, 06:20 PM

Woah! I was just about to tell my doc to take me off of my anti-depressants because I am having ALL of these symptoms...I can't STAND to be in my own skin right now!! It's driving me bonkers! I never, EVER would have thought this could be menopause related!

ejgilly
August 17th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Wow, did I luck out! Reading these stories of hot flashes, sweats and other trials gives me the shivers. I went through a very, very mild menopause, I had one of two hot flashes and that was it. No hormones, no night sweats, no mood swings. My sister hates me as she is now going through menopause and having all that I did not, also she is older than me. I was early, in my 40's.
I feel for all of you who are going through a hard time, I'm just glad I didn't have to suffer.

Meli
August 18th, 2014, 04:37 AM
I spent Saturday with a friend of mine on a mini road trip. We got home and were in her living room. Suddenly she stopped what she was doing, started fanning herself and said, "Whoa. Personal summer." Every hot flash I've had since then I've thought of that and it's just made me giggle. Yep, personal summer. That's exactly what it is.

Madeforyouinma11
August 18th, 2014, 09:48 AM
I too, am braving it out without medication. I don't take any daily meds (except for vitamins) and didn't want to start now. I have been going through it for about 3 years now. No mood swings, just "personal summer"...I like that term, and night sweats. They are brutal. I walk around in short sleeves and always have a long sleeve close by. I go from hot, hot, hot to freezing in seconds. Hubby is used to it and my kids are too. We just laugh about it now. The AC is my best friend. You're not alone. The thing that I don't like is that this could last 10 years! Or more! Yikes!

Grandma Nan
August 18th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Well I'm one of the people who have had power surges for about 10 years.

I have been doing it without any HRT but finally last week I decided while I was at my doctor to ask about something I might take. She started me on Effexor 37.5 and I can increase it to 75 in a couple of weeks.

I have been taking it about 3 days now and it might be improving a little but just wondering from those of you on it how long it took to really kick in. Did you have any side effects. I am not 100% sure its the effexor but I feel nauseated and also a little dizzy and lightheaded. Anybody else get this?

Rosebud3
August 18th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I have to agree with the meds, I tried some, didn't really work for me, but then I can only have the non hormonal ones. Things that helped me were Poise wipes when I sleep, I also got one of those cooling pillows. Otherwise just hope for cooler days...Best of luck to you

Cat n bull
August 18th, 2014, 10:27 AM
I am in that early pre-menopausal stage, and after reading these stories am hoping that my symptoms stay in the tolerable range so I can do this med free also! With my luck though, it will get severe.

I hate the night sweats and the brain fog the most!

Rhealene
August 18th, 2014, 02:44 PM
My body was forced into menopause 3 years ago at the age of 47 when I was diagnosed with uterine cancer then followed by a total hyster..I was fortunate though because my cancer was determined to be at stage 1 and was totally contained inside my uterus. Because of awful female issues my whole adult life my doctor felt that the likelihood of re-occurance was higher than average so I opted to go ahead and have my ovaries and cervix removed. I was allowed to take a very low dose HRT for a year while my body healed and adjusted, not sure it did much anyway... but my oncologist said the risk was too high to continue long term HRT. So the last 3 years have been a very hot and emotional rollercoaster ride. My husband complains because I keep the house cold enough to hang meat and the kitty is always snuggling under a blanket and I always need a fan blowing on me. Needless to say...winter is a wonderful season to me now when I used to hate it...lol! Sometimes I have to remind him that if momma ain't happy, then no one is happy...lol! So..I am in the same boat as many of you..

happygram
August 19th, 2014, 12:36 AM
Could so many of us having hot flashes be a contributing cause of global warming???????:icon_calm:

Over40momma
August 19th, 2014, 11:36 AM
LOL Happygram.....you are probably right! As another of the "no chemical" menopause crowd, I found the hot flashes to be most enjoyable in the winter. Living in Canada, it can get bloody cold and since menopause I have actually been able to stay warm without melting the rest of the family. Now summers are a different box of frogs......have even been desperate enough to sit on a chair in front of the toilet with my feet in the bowl!!!!!

My doc said I didn't enter menopause; I hit it a 100 miles per hour. :lol: Hubby made me go to doc cause he was starting to fear for his life (and maybe the children's too). Dog food commercials could send me into a flood of tears. Lose things???, we celebrate if I could find anything or even remember what day it was! Laughing was considered maniacal behavior because it invaribly was followed by either ice cold silence or hot words on a bladed tongue. Hubby said it was like living with Sybil. :0

He wanted drugs, I said no. This is a natural process of the body and the best way I believed, was to handle it as such. It is not a disease, it is life. I found out that increasing all the vitamin B's in my diet would help "smooth" out some of the emotional spikes. Evening primrose helped with some of the worst of the night sweats. The rest of it, I just find little tricks to help me remember where stuff is.....like putting it in the same place every time; write myself notes and keep them in a little book that sits on the kitchen table. Kids and hubby put notes in there to remind me of upcoming events or things we want to do. Mostly I find keeping a positive attitude helps the most. "Wherefore goest the mind, so too, does the body follow" are my watch words.

Find what works for you and do it. It is your life, you decide how you want to handle it. But learn from everyone you can because we are all individuals and no 2 women will go through it exactly the same way. Much like quilting....we will never stitch the same block the exact same way or with the same material or colors. Menopause is like one of those really tricky blocks we really want to make but it is going to put us to the test to do it. :lol:

Mchelem
August 21st, 2014, 03:45 AM
I'm only 41 and had "surgical" menopause, and have been miserable since I woke up from surgery. I can't take hormone replacement because of cancer risks (breast cancer survivor and ovarian cancer-the reason for the surgery) and I can't get comfortable. I keep my AC on 65 and I still have night sweats and feel 'flush' sometimes.

I will be glad when the roller coaster ride calms down a bit because right now, I'm not a nice person to live with!!!

Mchelem
August 21st, 2014, 03:53 AM
Like you, I am riding out menopause without hormone replacement therapy. I do take Ambiem to help with sleepless nights. I don't take them every night and never take more than half a pill. The "personal climate moments" are getting much better but they still creep up on me on occasion.

Does the ambien seem to work?? I've read stories of people with "ambien fog", calling people and not knowing it after they've taken their medicine, or getting up and doing odd things. I have the worst insomnia, and it seems it's gotten worse since my forced menopause, but nothing natural works. I would like to talk to the dr about taking a sleep aid, but ambien horror stories make me cringe and not want to take it..

Mchelem
August 21st, 2014, 04:02 AM
In third world country's the women don't go through menopause . That is because they don't eat all the junk food we do here in the US. Have you tried milk thistle ? It cleanses your liver and for most it stops the hot flashes. Also, stay away from soy, it makes matters worse!

Every woman eventually goes through menopause.... Maybe their symptoms are milder, but they still go through it.

And soy is estrogen, so for those on HRT that has estrogen, they could replace it with soy if they didn't want to take a pill (with dr approval of course).

Women in Japan Eat plenty of rice and soy products: tofu, miso, tempeh, soyflour. This diet is linked to reduced incidence of hot flashes among Japanese women

Meli
August 21st, 2014, 07:15 PM
Just shared this with DH. He made his "I'm not going to laugh and I don't find that amusing I swear" face and asked if I was going to start eating more soy. He may start buying tofu and try to slip it into my food when I'm not looking. As for me being more emotional, I'm not sure anyone would notice. I already cry at hallmark commercials.

Every woman eventually goes through menopause.... Maybe their symptoms are milder, but they still go through it.

And soy is estrogen, so for those on HRT that has estrogen, they could replace it with soy if they didn't want to take a pill (with dr approval of course).

Women in Japan Eat plenty of rice and soy products: tofu, miso, tempeh, soyflour. This diet is linked to reduced incidence of hot flashes among Japanese women

pcbatiks
August 21st, 2014, 07:43 PM
I love this cartoon and I know a lot of us can relate. I've posted it before but thought it was time to post it again. :D

Carrie J
August 21st, 2014, 09:42 PM
I started menopause at 40, thought I was losing my mind , pretty much what Pam described! Had a wonderful female OB/GYN that sent me to a compounding holistic shop once all the testing was done. Just a roll on (like the old deodorant bottles) all natural ingredients, that's what got me through it for the next five years til the symptoms abated. HRT for me was out of the question, I refused to use it, coming from the medical field, I pretty much knew it was a no go. BUT, thankfully, my double door fridge was my best friend, LOL, the freezer worked overtime. Fans, fans, fans, change of diet to no sugars, no carbs................it was a roller coaster ride at times, but glad it's over, heart goes out to you, hang tough and FANS! ;D!

Jackiejs
August 21st, 2014, 10:33 PM
I hit it hard right after having chemo for breast cancer. No drugs for me. I would sleep with the fan on and a spray bottle full of water. Spray the top sheet and drape it over you and it helped so much.

Meli
August 22nd, 2014, 04:25 PM
Oh, Jackie, you may have just saved my marriage! I will try that tonight and see if it helps.

I hit it hard right after having chemo for breast cancer. No drugs for me. I would sleep with the fan on and a spray bottle full of water. Spray the top sheet and drape it over you and it helped so much.

MartinaG
August 22nd, 2014, 06:09 PM
I tried HRT right after the girly-bits were yanked and the first attempt was the patch on my bottom. Turns out I was allergic to the adhesive so I had big black rings of glue surrounding beautiful circles of red itchy welts. Let's just say that my bottom stands on its own merit and does not require accessorizing.

Next the doc put me on these tiny lavender pills. All of a sudden I was an emotional wreck, crying at every opportune (and inopportune) moment over nothing and saying things like "isn't that precious?" OK, that didn't work for my non-girly sensibility.

So my doc decided to change it up and now I was faced with large green pills. I since decided that testosterone must be the green ingredient because within a week I turned from this whiney wench to a snark dragon. I was so unbelievably aggressive. Road rage, yelling at the husband, trying to pick fights in the grocery aisle. OH I WAS A MESS.

Decided that my mental and emotional well being was more important and went off the hormones altogether.

maxwellthecat
August 23rd, 2014, 01:55 AM
What makes me sick is, all of our lady illnesses are because of men

1) Menopause
2) Menstral cycle
3) GYN
4) Hysterectomy

There are more but, it's late and I can't think or spell anymore.

Wwena
August 23rd, 2014, 06:44 AM
Well that sounds like a drag! I can't help but laugh reading this though, you are too funny! Good times ahead... :)

institches64
September 2nd, 2014, 08:16 AM
I have to say thank you all for the laughs. I thought I was going nuts with the way I feel. I will be 50 in Nov. but this started 3 years ago. My dr. kept saying I was too young but I knew something was off! I am not taking anything but feeling like it would help. I didn't want to start with the hormone replacements but maybe I can mention Effexor to dr. Everything stopped for about 6 months so I was feeling like I sailed thru!! Ha, it is back in full force. I am married with 2 boys and most days anything they say or do makes me want to throttle them. I hate feeling so angry, exhausted and just plain grouchy!:0

BellasQuilts
September 2nd, 2014, 08:04 PM
Menopause is only for the strong to endure; i.e. women. Men would be puddles if they had to put up with it. I hate it, it is a constant interruption in my life, I want "me" back, wherever she went. I am glad the "Chicken Little" stuff is over; that and the night sweats were enough to drive me batty. Exercise seems to be the best, but wish I had time to get more into my daily routine. Just know you are not alone in this.

WVGranny
September 2nd, 2014, 09:02 PM
Oh ladies I just turned 56 and thought I was going off the edge with brain fog, night sweats, personal summer moments, I was always a cold natured person so far it has been mild, thanks for all the input its nice to know someone else is out there

Suzyq
September 3rd, 2014, 10:56 AM
Oh my stars!! This thread is hilarious as here I'm saying to myself while reading all the posts, oh yep, that's so me, gosh that one too, oh no, it's a cult!! I had a hysterectomy at 47 and it was a blessing, no more agonizing periods except dropped slam bang right into menopause that night..Jeepers! No time to get adjusted. Here at 59, I have the nightsweats just about every night so go thru lots of nighties and pillow covers I'll tell ya! One thing I find doesn't help, and that's caffeine...a warm bath before hopping into bed (I lie, I haven't 'hopped' in a long time) makes things worse as I retain heat. At least we can all laugh about my symptoms but there's lots of research out there on the net, so maybe something will work! Haven't got time tho to read it all, too busy quilting !!

Meli
September 3rd, 2014, 12:33 PM
Last night, DH came down to bed and found me wrapped in the bedding with the quilt tucked under my chin. He just stared at me. The ensuing brief conversation was hysterical.

DH: What's the matter? Why are you so bundled up? I thought you were hot. You keep telling me you're hot.
Me: Well, babe, you're supposed to think I'm hot. That's your job!

He then proceeded to come over, pretending to "tuck me in" and started tickling me. He's SOOOO helpful

ceiliam
September 3rd, 2014, 01:24 PM
I rode it out however be so careful of the ambieon it causes some dreadful side effects. ie eating and not remembering it , I was taking it and got in car and drove (do not recall doing this) and was in car accident luckly no one hurt car totaled. I don't drink and am really careful of drugs , however was given to me to take after I had spent 3 weeks in hospital ... I am saying this only because I do not want to have this or anything like this happen to anyone else ... just be extremely careful with this drug

meliswan
September 3rd, 2014, 02:57 PM
OMG, you guys are freaking me out. I will be 40 in a few months and already have several of the symptoms y'all have listed. Doc says I'm still to young for it but what does he know. :icon_scared: by the way I love "personal summer" and I will be using that, thanks!

Divine Daisy
September 3rd, 2014, 03:17 PM
Feel your pain, feel your heat and your general irritation with everything that breathes....................and doesn't for that matter!