PDA

View Full Version : On the Road to a New Me

Rhonda D. Matzker
August 14th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Who better to share my journey with than with my M* family.

Auntiemern knows this already but I am going to share this with you.

Since the loss of my mom (which will be 3 years in Sept) I have put on a great deal of weight (240+ lbs is what I weigh now and I am 5' 4"). I am a little butterball (LOL) In the process my breathing as worsened and I have had second knee surgery (2012) as a result. Recently (I believe) that I have developed sleep apnea as I wake up in the night gasping for air to point that it has scared my hubby.

Starting tomorrow (8/15) I begin Nutrisystem and working out with the goal of losing 120lbs. This is going to be a very difficult journey for me as it is going to take 3-4x more work to take off all the weight I have put on over the years, but I know that many of you will be thinking of me along the way and wishing me luck.

Slamelung
August 14th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Good luck! I have been dieting and exercising since June 2nd and have lost twenty pounds. Things were going great until this week and I have been eating everything. So starting tomorrow with you, I am going to get back to eating healthy. Good luck to us both.

quiltingtrish
August 14th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Good luck to both of you gals. We are all here cheering you on!!!

Kgrammiecaz
August 14th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Rhonda you will do great. One day at a time. Come here for support anytime you need it.

Midge
August 14th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Rhonda, definitely we are cheering for you! Just remember this is a process and there will be ups and downs. Come here to vent any time! And please, if you are waking up gasping, talk to your health care provider ASAP. Sleep apnea is nothing to play around with.

MBCA
August 14th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Good for you Rhonda! Best wishes and support are here for you. Keep us posted and vent if need be, your health comes first.

PeggyM
August 15th, 2014, 12:02 AM
You can do it! I lost 60 pounds, one pound at at a time. Rejoice in each and every pound, because it is not an overnight event. My prayers are with you.

sewbizzy
August 15th, 2014, 12:14 AM
I know you can do it...Will keep you in my prayers...

JCY
August 15th, 2014, 12:24 AM
If you suspect you have sleep apnea, please see your dr. & have him schedule you for a sleep study. You may need a CPAP for sleeping. I wish you well with your weight loss journey. JCY

Jess1377
August 15th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Good for you, i am wishing you the very best of luck! It's not an easy journey but a worthwhile one for sure.We will all be here for support! :)

auntiemern
August 15th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Well I didn't know you were planning on losing half of your weight. Personally I think that is to much. When I first got sick, I weighed 130 and look how bad and thin I looked. I want to lose weight to but I am gonna aim for about 45 of the 60 I gained since I stopped smoking. We can do it together.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 15th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Need to join you in the journey! Good luck to you!

Rhonda D. Matzker
August 15th, 2014, 12:34 AM
For my height I should weigh between 120 and 130 that is how much over weight I am.

Quiltfreestyle
August 15th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Just a suggestion from one who has lost 85 pounds, with much more to go,,,don't concentrate on your goal weight. Just concentrate on losing 10% In this case just think about losing the first 24 pounds. Then the next 10% & so on...
I found it's more motivating to set smaller attainable goals rather than telling myself I have over 100 pounds to lose.
Good luck & I will be cheering for you!!

Live to Quilt
August 15th, 2014, 01:05 AM
You go girl and I will be hear if you need to talk to get thorough a bad patch.
I lost 130 lbs and due to some meds and I quit smoking I have gained back 50lbs. I am going into hospital tomorrow for neck surgery a fusion and when I get out I am starting again.
It was great advice to set small goals to reach for and then before you know it you will have reached the final goal.
One other thing to remember you didn't gain it in a month or 2 so don't get to impatient.
Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

Jean Anne

nonnietomany
August 15th, 2014, 01:10 AM
Good luck and I will be praying for you on this journey Trish

Hulamoon
August 15th, 2014, 01:35 AM
Good for you! I'll be cheering!

stationarymom
August 15th, 2014, 01:49 AM
Rhonda you can do it.Just remember it will be baby steps weight loss is not an easy task especially for women.It took me 6mos to lose 10 lbs and that was on a liquid diet for med reasons.Hang in there we will all be here for you.

Genny
August 15th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Rhonda, Thank you for posting this and I wish you the best. I know all about the health issues of being over weight. Due to the company that I worked for closing its doors I've been unemployed since last October and I've gained 40 lbs and I feel like crap and my blood pressure is high. I have no energy and its really depressing. Thanks to you I am going to go back on my weight loss journey starting tomorrow morning. We have great walking trails in our small town and theres absolutely no reason in the world for me not to be using them. Please keep us updated on how you're doing. Genny

Lonna
August 15th, 2014, 02:30 AM
Good luck Rhonda I really need to be on this journey myself. If I could every get rid of this fog that seems to stay in my head all the time. Maybe I would be able to focus on starting this journey. I too have close to a hundred pounds that I need to get rid of. I will be watching to see how you are doing and wishing you the best of luck.

Madeforyouinma11
August 15th, 2014, 02:31 AM
Good for you and good luck with your journey. You might think about joining this group too...http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/groups/life-plan-united.html
There are people there on the same journey, including myself. I will be thinking of you and ask for help when you need it.

Meli
August 15th, 2014, 03:50 AM
HOORAY! I'm very happy for you to start this process. Remember there is no such word as "failure". Every step of the journey is a step forward. You will have good days and not so good days. Take them all in stride and you will be fine. (HUGS)

rebeccas-sewing
August 15th, 2014, 04:11 AM
I was just thinking about you yesterday, Rhonda. I'm glad to see you here and cheering you on with this journey on which you are about to embark. Good luck.

Monique
August 15th, 2014, 07:31 AM
You go girl. One day at a time.

Iris Girl
August 15th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I wish you lots of luck on your way to a slimmer , healthier you.

ginger326
August 15th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Good for you!!! I started weight watchers two weeks . For similar reasons, arthitis kicking in on a knee that has had two surgeries already and sleep apnea also but Ihave not had any luck with the bereathing machine. Take things one day at a time, good luck!!!

buckeyequilter
August 15th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Good luck on your weight loss journey!!

MRoy
August 15th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Good luck on your weight loss journey Rhonda! You can do it...one day at a time!

tamsterg7
August 15th, 2014, 06:28 PM
You have taken the first step and I am confident you will complete the journey! The gift of health - what a wonderful gift to give to yourself. Keep us posted so we can cheer you on!

Ginny B
August 15th, 2014, 10:09 PM
You go girl! We are here cheering you on. Take it by little steps so it doesn't get overwhelming.

Lissau
August 16th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Good luck Rhonda ...l've been doing " wheat belly " for 22 months and l've lost 40 kilos or 90 lbs....so l can get my knee fixed..if l can do it so can you

GrammaBabs
August 16th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I'll be thinking of you .... I too need to get in better shape,,, don't we all at some point!! Definitely ONE STEP<ONE DAY at a time... works for just about anything you want to get done..and NOT fall back ... Hugs to you,, Barbara

Miss Sheri
August 16th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Thank You Rhonda! Your courage and your post are timely for me too. I am 5'9" and weigh in at 220. I have 70 lbs to loss to feel comfortable in my skin again. I am going to begin today, loggin in to 'Lose it.com' and I am going to track every single thing that goes into my mouth, as well as my exercise. Thank you for giving me the nudge I needed to begin. And, Cil, thank you for the reminder about the group, I'm joining today!

WendyI
August 16th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I have the same body size as you and have lost 40 lbs since November on Weight Watchers. I like it best because it's your own food and you learn how to moderate without deprivation. Best of luck to you on this journey! I also have knee issues which is what prompted me to get moving on the weight loss. I know your pain! you CAN do this!! As someone said, EVERY lb is a celebration!! Make sure you recognize the lbs as they go but don't "reward" yourself. Once a month I reward myself, IF I have lost what I wanted to. If not, I wait. Keep posting..it helps!

Pegger
August 16th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Who better to share my journey with than with my M* family.

Auntiemern knows this already but I am going to share this with you.

Since the loss of my mom (which will be 3 years in Sept) I have put on a great deal of weight (240+ lbs is what I weigh now and I am 5' 4"). I am a little butterball (LOL) In the process my breathing as worsened and I have had second knee surgery (2012) as a result. Recently (I believe) that I have developed sleep apnea as I wake up in the night gasping for air to point that it has scared my hubby.

Starting tomorrow (8/15) I begin Nutrisystem and working out with the goal of losing 120lbs. This is going to be a very difficult journey for me as it is going to take 3-4x more work to take off all the weight I have put on over the years, but I know that many of you will be thinking of me along the way and wishing me luck.

Good luck to you!

Suzette
August 16th, 2014, 05:49 PM
I will also be cheering you on! I know you can do this!! :icon_bigsmile:

SallyO'Sews
August 16th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Good for you! We're all rooting for you to feel great and enjoy this new phase of your life. I'll bet your mom would be so proud and happy for you, too.

lourixe
August 17th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Good luck! Sleep apnea is no joke! My aunt that suffers from it, was told recent research has found it might be linked to some cases of dementia or Alzheimer. Make sure yours is properly attended to.

Lindagie
August 17th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Been there many times; losing, gaining; repeat! I have had it with the high BP, nothing fits, always tired, yada, yada, so tomorrow is my starting date again to join you. Just saw that there is a group for this; have to check it out.

Good luck on your journey, and I agree that if you think you have sleep apnea, you should schedule a test. Having this definitely affects one's health in so many ways. Let us know your progress on all fronts!

Marty
August 18th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Change is difficult but you can do this!

Pandabear
August 18th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Rhonda you are not alone. Not at all alone!! We're here for you.