PDA

View Full Version : Not the day I expected it to be

Lilbitsofthread
August 12th, 2014, 08:13 PM
So I recently had surgery on my left hand and elbow. Went to the emergency room Saturday because my fingers were almost black and the pain was incredible. ER doc tells me to quit whining and go home. Yesterday I go in to get the stitches removed and all he'll breaks loose! Apparently I had a full blockage next to my heart and blood clots in my hand. They did an angioplasty, cleared it with a balloon and put in a stent. I'm 49 years old, and quit smoking 3 weeks ago. I'm still in shock that I almost died because of my own lack of willpower. Please pray for me to continue on my smoke free path. I will NEVER smoke again! I'm hoping that by sharing this I can help someone make the decision to stop. God bless!

Miss Sheri
August 12th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Michelle,
Sweetie, I'm so glad you are still here with us today. That is quite a 'wake-up' call! You will be in my prayers, for your current health issues, and also the ability to move forward to a healthier lifestyle and future. Blessings for you dear.
Miss Sheri

bubba
August 12th, 2014, 08:18 PM
You can do it!!! I also hope you contact the hospital of the ER you went to and complain about that doctors behavior! His actions could have killed you!

Claire OneStitchAtATime
August 12th, 2014, 08:38 PM
What a shock. Good luck! And I hope you can get some help with quitting smoking . Nicotine is so addictive -- you can do it, other people have, but do it with help!

Sandy Navas
August 12th, 2014, 08:41 PM
The best thing we ever do for ourselves is to throw the nicotine crutch away. Here for support! Just remember your pain and how close you came to not being able to share this with us. YOU CAN DO IT!

alliek
August 12th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Wow, that was indeed close, Soo Happy about the outcome though. Prayers for your continued healing. As for that ER doc Please lodge a written and verbal complaint to the AMA and the hospital board. It's not to make trouble for this guy, but to make him think twice the next time and not be so cavalier in his attitude. You know, someone had to graduate last in the class.

Vonnie
August 12th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I'm glad you got help in time. Smoking not only hurts you but those around you. 19 years ago my father passed away from cancer caused by smoking. I stayed with relatives and almost all of them smoked. When I came home, it was 3 days before my lungs stopped burning from breathing in all the second hand smoke.

I agree about reporting the ER doctor. You might be saving someone's life by reporting him. I was misdiagnosed by an ER doctor when I was pregnant with my oldest. I had a bright painful spot on my leg. I was 7 1/2 months pregnant. The ER doctor is suppose to call the OB doctor whenever any of their patients come in to the ER. He never called my OB doctor. He said I had an insect bite and to just go home and put my feet up and cold compresses. That was a Saturday, by Monday I could not walk without help. My DH helped me pack a bag and we were in the OB doctor's office when they opened. Turned out to be a blood clot. I had to spend 2 weeks in the hospital. My OB doctor went through the roof, so I know heads rolled over that.

Again, thankful that you were helped in time.

Simply Quilting
August 12th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Michelle, glad that you are still with us. Agreeing to please lodge a formal complaint, the ER doctor almost cost you your life and next time, it could be he costs someone their life.

WendyI
August 12th, 2014, 09:38 PM
wow...scarey!! you can quit...I did...and am now the worst reformed smoker EVER! over 20 years now since I quit. I'm so much healthier now. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

baskets4deb
August 12th, 2014, 10:29 PM
I'm so happy to hear of the positive outcome! Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself. Plus, think of all the $$$ you will save. More money for fabric!:D

Midge
August 12th, 2014, 10:42 PM
OMG Michelle, I am so so glad they could save your hand. What a nightmare! As a nurse for over 3 decades I just smh at low quality care people continue to get in this country. Contrary to what people like to say, we do not have the best medical care in the world in this country. Please, please, please use all the help you need to stop smoking! And next time you have an emergency and you are dismissed == any of you peeps on this forum == do not take no for an answer. Raise Holy you know what and make a lot of noise! Saying the "L" word if needed until you get another opinion. People are fallible, doctors don't listen, and sadly, too often the nurses are not your advocates. You must stick up for yourself. Discoloration like that is never ever benign.

songbird857
August 12th, 2014, 10:45 PM
So glad you're ok! You can do it -

ilive2craft2
August 12th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Wow - so glad that you are ok! Please make a formal complaint, that was a serious mistake on his part.

Glad you are quitting smoking - you can do it!

Auntpiggylpn
August 12th, 2014, 11:30 PM
I was a 1 1/2 pack a day smoker. . . Until I had a heart attack at the age of 41! I now have 2 stents in my heart. I was a nurse for 18 years and I knew I was experiencing symptoms of a heart attack but I still put up a fuss about going to the ER. I had changed jobs and didn't have active health insurance.

You can do it!!!! :icon_tup::icon_tup::icon_tup:

JCY
August 12th, 2014, 11:41 PM
I'm a retired nurse. By all means, that ER dr. needs to be reported! This was negligence on his part. You had a life-threatening situation that did not get prompt treatment. I wish you well with kicking the smoking. You will feel so much better once you get past this. Hang in there. JCY

Lilbitsofthread
August 13th, 2014, 01:33 AM
Thank you all so much for the advise and encouragement. It means so much to have such a wonderful group of people showing love and support to a fellow quilter. That's why I love this forum so much. We all fuss and fight, rant and rave...but support each other with kindness and compassion! Hugs!

auntiemern
August 13th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Michelle, so glad you are taking the plunge. I have been smoke free since June 18, 2013 when I was hospitalized with a severee COPD exacerbation almost killed me. At which time the also found a nodule on my right lung, which turned out to be cancer. It was hard to quit, not gonna lie. It was that or die, and I have 3 beautiful grand kids that need me, and I am not ready to leave them just yet. You can do it. You are stronger than you realize. You have to decide what is more important...and I think you have. I will be rooting for you from here. Good luck, and congrats.

shawnan
August 13th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Here is a site that I found helpful when I quit almost 5 years ago. I hope you also find it helpful. You can do this.

10 Tips for Quitting Smoking : zenhabits (http://zenhabits.net/10-tips-for-quitting-smoking/)

Nancy

stationarymom
August 13th, 2014, 03:06 AM
Michelle I'm so glad that you are ok right now anf still able to join us here.I agree with the others if you don't write a complaint nobody knows this dr dismissed your condition and they are right someone else will go in and may die because he is not taking enough time to examine pts. As far as the smoking you can do it.You could ask your Dr. about the patch I know this helped my brother stop smoking within days.If you need support we're all here.

rebeccas-sewing
August 13th, 2014, 05:30 AM
I think I'd be giving that doctor who sent you home a piece of my mind and also I'd be contacting the people in charge. He surely set himself up for a lawsuit in my opinion. Makes you wonder how many other people might die because he's an idiot! I really hope you don't just sit back on this. The people in charge need to know what happened. You are sooooo lucky you didn't die because of his lack of care. Yes, so good you quit smoking now while you're still fairly young. However, the smoking may be what caused your troubles but it's that doctor who almost killed you!!!

easyquilts
August 13th, 2014, 07:00 AM
I know you can do it!

Please.... Contact whoever is in charge if the ER you went to.... They need to know that one if their "doctors" neatly killed you, he was more than incompetent....he was negligent and right down stupid.... They will want to know about this incident, believe me.

Suzette
August 13th, 2014, 07:05 AM
So glad you are okay! I too would be reporting that ER doctor that almost cost you your life with his dismissal of your symptoms (which, by the way, would have raised huge red flags with even a layman, let alone a trained physician).

I hope your story is a wake up call for folks to put down the cigarettes for their own sake as well as for those around them. But it would be extra lovely if your story helps some to never light up in the first place. So much easier to say no right off the bat than to say yes for years then try and quit.

Anyway, glad you are now property diagnosed and on the mend! :icon_bigsmile:

Grandma Nan
August 13th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Michelle- good for you. I am not a reformed smoker, I am a past smoker with a great deal of empathy for what you are going through. This is the hardest thing you will ever do but it is so worth it. Just keep trying and you can do it. I am the voice of experience on this topic.
I was very addicted for almost 40 years. Tried multiple times and methods to quit, no luck. Last year on June 2 2013 I was taken by ambulance to the hospital with a heart attack and had 3 stents put in. I was so fortunate that I got there in time and no damage was done to my heart muscle.
I am an intelligent woman, worked as a nurse for 40 years and even though I knew it was a terrible thing I was doing to my body I couldn't stop. Smoking controlled my life. I started to panic when I was down to half a package in my purse. Any true smoker knows what I mean. I wouldn't go places (like movies etc) because I didn't want to go that long without smoking. It didn't matter how much my kids/husband asked me to stop (and I did want to) I just couldn't do it. No one can force or guilt you into having the motivation. The only person who can quit is YOU and I see strong motivation in your posting. Some days will be difficult.
I can honestly say that I think about having a cigarette almost every day but the thoughts come and go quickly these days and I am not tempted now but it has taken a year. While I was in the hospital they slapped a patch on me. On discharge I had the patch and a drug called Champix. I stopped the patch fairly quickly but stayed on the Champix for about 6 months.

Different things work for different people and you will do it. The addiction goes quickly but the habit and triggers to smoke just keep coming. I am wishing for you all the strength you need to quit but don't beat yourself up because it will happen.

My thoughts are with you. It is so worth it to get that monkey off your back.