PDA

View Full Version : Will somebody.....

bubba
August 12th, 2014, 01:22 AM
some spend the night with me? MM just left for work and the thunder started up......Pat does not like thunder! Going to be a long night!

Judy, USMC
August 12th, 2014, 01:28 AM
Well, I can start you off for a bit. But I'm going back & forth between tabs. Trying to find a place to stay in Clinton Iowa.

Sorry there's thunder. Really affects some pets. Neighbor has the same problem and uses the thunder shirt and if that doesn't work she has some pills from the vet.

What do you do?

bubba
August 12th, 2014, 01:39 AM
It's not the dogs that are bothered, it's me!!!!! What is a thunder shirt? Are they for people? I'll take pills from anyone right about now!

Doloris
August 12th, 2014, 01:50 AM
I have a thunder shirt for miss Mindy. It is just a tight Lycra shirt that Velcro's tight around them.
It is also thundering here but not real loud.
The image of you in a thunder shirt will make me smile in my sleep. It is almost 1 am here.

Judy, USMC
August 12th, 2014, 01:57 AM
Sorry, thought it was a pet named Pat - not you!

Thunder shirt is for pets. It's a compression coat so to speak. So maybe wrapping up in a quilt will work? What do you normally do?

Genny
August 12th, 2014, 01:58 AM
I remember when I was young I was so afraid of thunder that I'd sit on my dads lap and bury my face in his chest and cry.

stationarymom
August 12th, 2014, 02:05 AM
I hope your thunder has ended for the night.If not do you have any cutting or hand work that might take your mind off the noise?

bkthomas
August 12th, 2014, 02:09 AM
(((((((((((Pat)))))))))))))

bubba
August 12th, 2014, 02:29 AM
It finished, but it was rattling my house and making the whole thing vibrate! I was afraid to be upstairs by myself so quit sewing for the night....oh shoot, I think I just heard it again!

I have never liked thunder, scares the crap out of me! Lightening is fine, but that booming....no thanks!

I normally whimper and cry and even called MM to come back home (he was headed to work). I even told him I fell down the basement stairs and could not get up and I was pretty sure I was bleeding from my head (yes, I was lying, but I was desparate!) and he said he would see me in the morning!!!

Judy, USMC
August 12th, 2014, 03:07 AM
I'm not one to condone taking drugs ... but there are a lot of over-the-counter meds that have the "May cause drowsiness" warnings. Wonder if taking them will help. Wouldn't it be nice to just sleep through it?

Hope it is done and gone!

Hulamoon
August 12th, 2014, 03:13 AM
Living in here so long when these storms come along i turn off all the lights and tv and lay down and listen to the nature of it all. Don't mean to be all zen on you. but i find it relaxing to just listen.

ommm

bubba
August 12th, 2014, 03:13 AM
So far, so good. And don't worry, I don't take any drug unless it's prescribed and there is a reason! It seems to have passed, but I was told there is lightening again, off to the south headed this way :(

toggpine
August 12th, 2014, 03:35 AM
It has completely passed us. We had a few trailers of sheet lightening about 8:30/9. It is eerily quiet & still outside. I went down to the barn to lock everything up and there are no birds, no bugs, and none of the animals are making any noise. The dog hasn't barked in over an hour. There is barely a breeze either. Very weird.

Pat, if I had known, we had a spare room, and you would be welcome to use it. Or you could hide under the chicken shed with the livestock guardian dog. Thunder and fireworks turn that defender-of-all into a quivering heap.
I know we are a bit of a drive, but you are welcome.

bubba
August 12th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Thanks, but I'm not going outside!!!! There is supposed a HUGE storm at 0400 that is much bigger that the one we already had!

Bubby
August 12th, 2014, 07:16 AM
I hope you made it through the storm. We have so many electrical storm with rolling thunder that we just sleep through it. That comes with living in the middle of the country. When I was little my grandpa taught me that thunder was God bowling and that helped me a lot. Grandma taught me to hide in the closet from the lightning!

easyquilts
August 12th, 2014, 07:38 AM
It's morning now, but I wanted you to know that I hope the night wasn't too bad for you... I'm one of those silly people who like thunderstorms, as long as they are not tornadic.... Been there and done that...no thanks.

Wrapping up in a soft quilt might actually help.... Also....read a good book... Ome you can really get into...

I hope you got some sleep.

tiffanym
August 12th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Well, I can start you off for a bit. But I'm going back & forth between tabs. Trying to find a place to stay in Clinton Iowa.

Sorry there's thunder. Really affects some pets. Neighbor has the same problem and uses the thunder shirt and if that doesn't work she has some pills from the vet.

What do you do?

I have the thundershirt for my cat and it really works! :)

Vonnie
August 12th, 2014, 09:57 AM
How about head phones? With your favorite music turned up loud.

I lived in Naples, Italy for two years and almost on the beach in Tampa, Florida for four years so I'm used to loud thunder. What I did not like was whenever a cargo plane would land or take off from MacDill Air Force Base. We were under the flight path for those large planes. Sounded like the world was coming to an end. Didn't scare me but it was so loud it was hard to think.

Lightening is something I'm afraid of. It has struck close to us both here and in Alabama. In Alabama lightening struck a neighbors tree and shot from there into their house and fried anything electrical. You could see where the bark from the tree was embedded in the brick on the side of their house. Then again, just down the street from where we live now, lightening struck the house with the tallest roof. It sounded like a shot gun going off. Burned the top half of their house. Everyone got out okay. I even heard of a woman being struck by lightening because she was wearing an underwire bra!

So, thunder any day okay with me, but not that lightening!

Lilly
August 12th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Pat - I hope the 0400 storm passed quietly as you slept - perhaps that's too much to ask for but I hope you are back to your cheery self this morning anyway. I'm with Sandy - love the rumbles of thunder. I take Trazadone to sleep but when I know a storm is coming I wait to take it until the storm passes so I can hear the comforting rumbles. Now the lightning is another thing - I stay up to be sure it doesn't hit the house - or so I hope.

bubba
August 12th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Well, I am awake but slept awful. May be inventing thunder sheets today!

TheYarnmaiden
August 12th, 2014, 02:03 PM
One of my friends does a lot of work with autistic children (and people with similar sensory overload concerns) and at least according to her a jean quilt can help calm many anxieties if you're in a position to curl up under a nice heavy one and count your breathes (in for 4 hold for 4 out for 8). They're an evenly weighted comfort, so very much like a thunder shirt but for people.

Lilly
August 14th, 2014, 11:25 PM
I wonder if wearing one of those shields that they use in the dentist's office to protect you from the xrays would work. Has anyone seen the movie or read the book on Temple Grandin? She invents a contraption that calms herself down that is similar to one used on cattle - same idea I think.

JCY
August 15th, 2014, 12:32 AM
I used to be afraid of fire engine sirens when I was little. We lived close to down town in the city, & those long hook & ladder trucks would go by our house. I'd hide under the kitchen table. The first time I went to see fireworks, the loud booms scared me, too. I think my family had to leave early b/c I was crying. I probably was only 3 or 4 y.o. In Colorado, we can have some serious thunder & lightning storms. I'm not afraid of thunder, but I get a bit nervous if the lightning gets too close. Some years ago, our neighbor's house got struck by lightning & caught fire. I hope by now the storm has passed by & things are quiet. JCY

Quiltlover
August 15th, 2014, 04:34 PM
You poor thing. It does not bother me but my lil doggie is terrified and he goes to my hubbie to snuggle til it is over. He is my dog but I guess he feels safer with a big ole man! HA Sorry you are frightened. Is there a neighbor you can go stay with?