PDA

View Full Version : Ashamed of My Home Town

auntiemern
August 11th, 2014, 11:24 PM
For the first time in my life, I am truly ashamed to be from St. Louis. Although I never lived in the area that this is happening in, I have family and friends that do live there. Please pray for the people of St. Louis, that they can get past this nonsense that is going on right now. This is no way to honor the young man that was killed, and it sure as heck isn't going to bring justice.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 12th, 2014, 12:44 AM
Amen to that! I'm not ashamed of my town, but know there are very serious issues that need to be worked on to make it a place where people want to live, not put their houses up for sale and go elsewhere. I've lived in the North county area for 30 years, moved to the country, and when I moved back to the city, I chose this area again. I hope people of all colors can learn to live together respectfully and peacefully.

Genny
August 12th, 2014, 02:02 AM
I agree...tearing a town apart is just going to bring more violence. I hope and pray that this all comes to an end soon for everyones sake.

stationarymom
August 12th, 2014, 02:24 AM
sadly some people don't know how else to express their feelings,so they act out.This has happened many other times after horrible events.

Monique
August 12th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I pray that cooler heads prevail.

Elliegirl
August 12th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Amen to that! I'm not ashamed of my town, but know there are very serious issues that need to be worked on to make it a place where people want to live, not put their houses up for sale and go elsewhere. I've lived in the North county area for 30 years, moved to the country, and when I moved back to the city, I chose this area again. I hope people of all colors can learn to live together respectfully and peacefully.

I grew up in STL, north STL first then a year after high school we moved to Florissant, and lived off of Old Florissant Rd. I worked at the YMCA that's in Ferguson, and knew the area well. I left in 1971 to go to college in Kirksville and never lived in STL again, but I am there several times a year because my family is still there. STL has always had race issues. I remember when I was growing up blacks DID NOT live in the county. I don't understand why the race issues are there, but they are. I'm sure this has fueled all the tension but that's not an excuse for the rioting and looting. What I'm seeing on Facebook are groups of young blacks, high school and college, sororities and fraternities, all going to the area where the rioting is and helping with clean up. The news hasn't shown this!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 12th, 2014, 10:54 AM
I am convinced that the violence has been started by some thugs coming into the area to stir things up. Last night there were two more areas involved in gang fights and looting, way far away from where this first took place. There were pictures on TV of gangs of young men hanging out of the windows of a car laughing and shouting, clearly not mourners!

The facts behind this killing have yet to be known. Folks are afraid to come forward to give details as they saw it. But many are rushing to judgement that the policeman was wrong and the victim was doing nothing to become involved with a policeman. You know what they say about the truth, there's your side of the story, and there's the other guy's side and the truth lies somewhere in between. Three outside agencies are investigating to try to get to that "in between" truth.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 12th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I grew up in STL, north STL first then a year after high school we moved to Florissant, and lived off of Old Florissant Rd. I worked at the YMCA that's in Ferguson, and knew the area well. I left in 1971 to go to college in Kirksville and never lived in STL again, but I am there several times a year because my family is still there. STL has always had race issues. I remember when I was growing up blacks DID NOT live in the county. I don't understand why the race issues are there, but they are. I'm sure this has fueled all the tension but that's not an excuse for the rioting and looting. What I'm seeing on Facebook are groups of young blacks, high school and college, sororities and fraternities, all going to the area where the rioting is and helping with clean up. The news hasn't shown this!
Wow, Ellie! I worked at that YMCA from '79-'84!

The racial divide in St. Louis has been studied, written about, but very difficult to change after 250 years.

auntiemern
August 12th, 2014, 12:46 PM
I have never understood the racial divide either, but it isn't just in St. Louis. It is every where. I grew up in U. City, and lived there when the 1st black family moved there. One of the girls was in my 2nd grade class. We lived there til l eas in 9th grade
I970. We moved because it was becoming to dangerous to go to school there. I had a knife pulled on me twice and threatened numerous times. It was sad having to move and leave my friends, both black and white. It isn't all black people, or all white people. It is people with a certain mind set. I personally am not going to live in am area where there are shootings on a daily basis. Or l can't get a pizza deliverd because they deem the area to dangerous. I am truly not a racist or biggot, but how are we as a community supposed to not have bad feelings against people that do these things? I wish things were different. But until the Jesse Jacksons &Al Sharptons, stop spreading the true racism and lieing to the black youth
youth, nothing will change. I have seen many posts and videos of blacks chastising the ones that did all of this, and telling them they are the reason people of color get that reputation. And that IS the truth.

Elliegirl
August 12th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Wow, Ellie! I worked at that YMCA from '79-'84!

The racial divide in St. Louis has been studied, written about, but very difficult to change after 250 years.

Small world! Is it still there? What have the studies revealed about the racial divide? I'm a retired teacher and taught middle school social studies a couple of years. I do remember the 1821 Compromise where the northern part of the state was Union and the southern part was Confederate. Maybe it all dates back to that.

Elliegirl
August 12th, 2014, 01:30 PM
I have never understood the racial divide either, but it isn't just in St. Louis. It is every where. I grew up in U. City, and lived there when the 1st black family moved there. One of the girls was in my 2nd grade class. We lived there til l eas in 9th grade
I970. We moved because it was becoming to dangerous to go to school there. I had a knife pulled on me twice and threatened numerous times. It was sad having to move and leave my friends, both black and white. It isn't all black people, or all white people. It is people with a certain mind set. I personally am not going to live in am area where there are shootings on a daily basis. Or l can't get a pizza deliverd because they deem the area to dangerous. I am truly not a racist or biggot, but how are we as a community supposed to not have bad feelings against people that do these things? I wish things were different. But until the Jesse Jacksons &Al Sharptons, stop spreading the true racism and lieing to the black youth
youth, nothing will change. I have seen many posts and videos of blacks chastising the ones that did all of this, and telling them they are the reason people of color get that reputation. And that IS the truth.

No, it's not a racial issue totally. There are whites who act the same way. From my experience as a retired special education teacher who taught low income kids, economics is more of an issue than race. There is just something about some low income families that they are more prone to violence, education isn't stressed, and everyone owes them. These are the ones who frequently belong to gangs, and there are white gangs, black gangs, asian gangs, hispanic gangs. It all comes back to children need to be taught from an early age that education is important, and they are expected to do well in school.

WendyI
August 12th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Living in Canada I will NEVER understand racially motivated crime of any kind. It is just so rare here. I'm sure the big cities like Toronto and Vancouver have their share of it...but it's still rare IMO. I agree with Ellie's viewpoint of it being economically motivated but I believe there are also studies showing that people of colour are more likely to be found in those lower socio-economic positions than whites...whether this is due to race or family history and lack of education I am not aware of...I 'm sure there have been studies done.

Don't be ashamed of where you live...do your best to spread pride in your home town...even if it means just planting flowers to beautify your property or talking about the positive things that happen in your community....that's the best way to help make it a bit better I think. I'm sorry you all are experiencing this and hope the violence ends soon!! xox

Vonnie
August 12th, 2014, 02:59 PM
As my Aunt used to say, "Two wrongs do not make a right."

This is just so sad. It's the 21st century and we still have these problems. We are all part of the human race. And how many people can actually say they are 100 percent of any race. I know I can't.

My heart goes out to all of them.

whippetmom
August 12th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I was born in St Louis, have not been back there for quite a number of years. I am afraid this is happening all over the US, not just there. Media is not helping at all, they could please keep controversial comments quiet until all the facts of the case come out. It is getting worse, and hope it stops soon.

Elliegirl
August 12th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Whippetmom you are very correct about the media making it worse. I was listening to Fox and CNN and they both questioned why the police would not make public the name of the officer involved in the shooting. Really??? The crowd is out of control, rioting all over the city, and threats have been made on social media. Ferguson is 21,000 people and it would not be too hard to track down where this police officer's family lives and attack the family.

alliek
August 12th, 2014, 09:22 PM
I too believe that there are "instigators" that do not live in the community but inflame emotions that are on edge to begin with. I do believe this why the FBI was called in.

shermur
August 13th, 2014, 08:30 AM
My cousin posted this on FB....I learned more from this than I did through the news media....

News media has made this case worse than the actual facts that should be brought out in this case. I am glad the FBI was brought in; it seems that the local law enforcement cannot handle the chaos the event has caused. I do feel that it is sad a young life was lost....but there is reasons why the event exploded like it did.....

Elliegirl
August 13th, 2014, 08:58 AM
My cousin posted this on FB....I learned more from this than I did through the news media....

News media has made this case worse than the actual facts that should be brought out in this case. I am glad the FBI was brought in; it seems that the local law enforcement cannot handle the chaos the event has caused. I do feel that it is sad a young life was lost....but there is reasons why the event exploded like it did.....

Thank you for sharing this! I have suspected, as I'm sure many have, there is more to the story than meets the eye. I had read the young man was big, well over 6' and his size alone makes him a danger if he is inclined to violence. I know the truth will come out but some people will not be able to accept it. The parents themselves are asking for the rioting and looting to stop!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 13th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I saw that post on FB this morning. Ferguson police are smart to bring in other agencies to investigate, as folks involved in the situation would not believe the results if it turned out that the policeman was acting to save his own life. There will be continuing unrest til they come to some conclusion that either justifies the action, or they arrest the policeman for acting against protocol and charge him. Any way you look at it, the unrest has caused property damage, but no new deaths. Last night there were some shootings in nearby neighborhoods, but no deaths. For as hot as this issue has been, thank heaven there haven't been people injured or killed. The police allow them to gather and protest, within limits. They disburse the crowd after a couple of hours, those that won't leave are tear gassed. No guns, no dogs used. Someone did say they were using rubber bullets on Monday night.

My daughter works nights at the nearest hospital. I thought there would be a lot of activity there, but so far, nothing out of the ordinary.

GrammaBabs
August 13th, 2014, 12:36 PM
This posting on FB.... was it from a witness???
It is so sad that stories are always judged before the facts are known... My GS was close friends with the young black man killed in NY by a police officer... I knew he and his family... there can never be "justice" after the fact... When our country and it's "representatives" of US learn to do what's good for ALL perhaps this kind of horror will stop!!! I am praying for all in STL.. and hope things calm down...