PDA

View Full Version : Whew! What a weekend!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 11th, 2014, 07:06 AM
This weekend, my theatre group presented their second weekend of "The Wiz"! Wonderful attendance and a sold out 580 seat theatre yesterday! Our largely African-American cast, so very talented, from the tiniest 6 year old Munchkin to the multi-talented lead players of all ages, entertained to riotous applause and standing ovations! I had so many comments on the costumes, so I know they were well recieved.

I met so many new folks through this experience! We had several wonderful moms who corralled our Munchkins and helped them get through their 5 costume changes. One darling cast member asked me the day I took measurements if I knew how to sew. Yes, as a costumer, I do sew (some have underlings to do that, and they don't sew). She showed me a dress she had designed. I wanted to incorporate her design into the show somwhow. It didn't get done til yesterday morning, and she wore it beautifully during her final scene!

But, our African -American community was rocked with sadness that turned into a very ugly situation last night. On Saturday, a young man had an altercation with the local police, he tried to grab a policeman's gun, then ran away and was shot by the policeman and killed. Almost instantaneously, groups of protesters gathered, some in a prayer vigil, and some bent on violence. Last night, a true riot started, with confrontations with police, and then looting and burning of local businesses. Luckily there were no deaths and only minor injuries. But the whole area was affected by this night of violence.

I know many of our cast members were affected by this. I hear this made national news, some of you might have heard of it. Things are still tense, the area is closed down, with a huge police presence in the area.

I just pray that cooler heads prevail, that those who are calling for peaceful protest are able to keep a lid on this and the violence simmers down. So many of our cast members are involved with church ministries as well as law enforcement. I pray for them in these troubled times. I'm sure they would appreciate your prayers also.

rebeccas-sewing
August 11th, 2014, 07:34 AM
What I don't understand is why death was the outcome. Aren't police supposed to be good shots? Seems like wounding the person would be a better way to stop a perpetrator. Of course I shouldn't judge. I wasn't there so I don't know the circumstances. Let us know more if you gain any additional details, Jean.

Monique
August 11th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Jean, I hope the violence doesn't escalate any further. Stay safe.

Congratulations as a costumer on this production.

Bubby
August 11th, 2014, 07:55 AM
I've been following this issue but I'm glad I didn't know you were right in the middle of it due to the play. Other than that I'm thrilled the production has been so successful and enjoyable. I know you put your heart and soul into it.

Iris Girl
August 11th, 2014, 07:57 AM
grats as the costumer to this wonderful play! Sorry to hear about the violence. Such a shame such a wonderful evening had to be ruined by an act of violence.

irishrn
August 11th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Congratulations on a successful play! I'm glad all went well.
So sorry to hear about the community unrest. It is so sad that the world cannot be at peace!
The whole world needs a giant time out! I do believe if women were more in control it would be more peaceful world wide ! IMO!!

MRoy
August 11th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Congratulations on costuming such a great production Jean. I'd heard about the unrest but I didn't catch where it was. I saw another news story about it this morning after reading your post. I hope the community can come together to stop the violence.

WendyI
August 11th, 2014, 09:14 AM
WHEN will people learn that violence is not the answer to these types of things! GEepers! I'm so sorry this happened and so glad you are safe. Congratulations on the successful production....must be so gratifying!

New York Sue
August 11th, 2014, 09:51 AM
This so, so sad...
You worked your tail off, as did many!
I am so sorry that this act of violence, has taken 'front seat' to your company's production, Jean.
It's heartbreaking, actually.... :(

Jean Sewing Machine
August 11th, 2014, 10:12 AM
What I don't understand is why death was the outcome. Aren't police supposed to be good shots? Seems like wounding the person would be a better way to stop a perpetrator. Of course I shouldn't judge. I wasn't there so I don't know the circumstances. Let us know more if you gain any additional details, Jean.
Rebecca, there are so many unanswered questions about the circumstances of why he was shot dead. I'm sure that is what is fueling the anger!

Mom23
August 11th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I understand how people can be upset at the shooting of a teenager but what I don't understand is the need to steal, damage, burn, fight, etc. It seems like when there is a situation like this, people use it as a reason to get out of control. Yes, people should be demanding answers from the police, but it's very hard for the police to investigate when they are all out trying to control people being stupid. It does no good to burn down a gas station, steal, destroy and damage area businesses.

Jean, I'm so sorry there had to be such a tragic end to your wonderful performances.

Grandma Nan
August 11th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Hoping for safety for all in your community.

Liberty
August 11th, 2014, 10:46 AM
It's great that you were in a wonderful play! Sounds fun!

The largest target on a person is their torso. It's often aimed for, rightly so, in a life or death situation. I don't have the exacts, but I imagine the cop aimed for the torso because he thought his or other lives were in danger. I'm not saying that it's right that he shot the guy, but I'm saying a wound shot is not always possible in an intense situation such as this.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 11th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I understand how people can be upset at the shooting of a teenager but what I don't understand is the need to steal, damage, burn, fight, etc. It seems like when there is a situation like this, people use it as a reason to get out of control. Yes, people should be demanding answers from the police, but it's very hard for the police to investigate when they are all out trying to control people being stupid. It does no good to burn down a gas station, steal, destroy and damage area businesses.

Jean, I'm so sorry there had to be such a tragic end to your wonderful performances.
You are so right, Rebecca! One of the citizens of the neighborhood was just interviewed on TV, she was lamenting that the small businesses that were damaged and robbed may not reopen. The neighborhood relies on these businesses for their families' needs! What was even crazier was that some thugs went a mile ot two north, broke into the WalMart that serves the community and looted the electronics department. Lawless thugs hijacked the sad occasion to benefit their thievery. It's hard to imagine what goes on in the minds of people like this.

SallyO'Sews
August 11th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks for posting, Jean. We did hear about this; so very sad. I will certainly be praying for the families involved and for your community as a whole. Was the young man who died involved with your show?

p.s. Congratulations on a job well done - especially for going out of your way to make the special costume!

Genny
August 11th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Jeans congrats on your wonderful show. I'm sure you and everyone are so proud...as you should be!

I pray that the police can get the violence under control before more people are hurt or even lose their lives.

auntiemern
August 11th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Because law enforcement are trained to 'shoot to kill'. Shooting to injure only happens in movies and tv. An injured suspect or perpetrator is still a danger.

bubba
August 11th, 2014, 03:43 PM

As harsh as this sounds, police officers are not trained to wound, they are trained to kill. This officers life was in danger. The suspect tried to take his gun. They are saying there was one shot fired inside the police car. Hopefully all the facts will come out soon.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 11th, 2014, 04:02 PM
As harsh as this sounds, police officers are not trained to wound, they are trained to kill. This officers life was in danger. The suspect tried to take his gun. They are saying there was one shot fired inside the police car. Hopefully all the facts will come out soon.
Hopefully no one else will get hurt or more of the town get burned down or looted while the investigation goes on. It's a miracle that there were no serious injuries or more deaths in this very volatile situation.

Ginny B
August 11th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Congratulations Jean on another successful production. Never had a doubt that your costumes would be wonderful.

I did hear about the unrest in your area. So sad. And so very maddening too that some people will use the tragedy to wreak havoc on innocent businesses and their neighborhoods. I hope things calm down soon.

stationarymom
August 12th, 2014, 02:52 AM
first congrats on the production and getting thru all of the costumes. As far as the violence maybe some of the church leaders will be able to bring some peace and help all of the kids to deal with this anger and sadness

alliek
August 12th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Congratulations on the play Jean,I'm sure your costumes enabled the performers to really get into their role! Sorry about what happened in StL. Prayers for peace and for the family of the murdered boy.