PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Days and Thursdays?

Blondie
August 7th, 2014, 07:16 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies!

It's raining, raining, raining here. I would imagine it is raining a whole lot of places we are all living in by looking at the radar map. We are happy for some rain here on The Hill, where nothing, not even the weather is done in moderation. It is never warm, it is HOT as hades. It is never dry, it is just waiting for a matchstick . . . you catch my drift. We've been needing some extra rain but just as in every other summer I have known since being that nasty word (adult), we never have enough rain for our vegetable garden. Oh, we water it from the hose but that ain't the same as good old rain water from the sky. We had some rain barrels - never enough there either. I tried talking Luscious into one of those neat-o contraptions to capture the rain water off the roof and recycle but it is too much for our two pea brains together to figure out. It also looks like a lot of work.

Yesterdays appt with the retina man went well. He is holding us on a 6 week appt for shot in Mom's eye. It appears to be working. When we go any longer, her vision starts to deteriorate. As hoped for, the Big Man drove us and after the appt, we stopped in a few thrifts and one re store. Not much in the way of pickings but I did find an old file cabinet in fairly good shape for way cheap. Now my patterns will have their own home without being in cardboard boxes.

As you can tell, I live a very exciting life. Oh, yes I'll take that with some boring on the side and humdrum for dessert. Finding joy in the daily mundane is never difficult. Look for your blessings, they aren't difficult to find, just sometimes overlooked. When you find one, SMILE.

HandsomeRyan
August 7th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Good morning all!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0415_zpsk89uazlr.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0415_zpsk89uazlr.jpg.html)

Wiggles is officially a foot eater. He discovered his feet a couple weeks ago and has enjoyed holding them but he has recently figured out that if he pulls hard enough, he can chew on them too. Mmmmmm toejam!

The lady professor from the other university whom I have complained about before called me yesterday and the conversation went something like this:

Her: Ryan, I hired someone to do plant tissue culture in my lab but they don't know how to do it, can you teach them?
Me: What specifically do they want to know?
Her: Can we come over for a day or two and you can teach them what you know?
Me: I'm not doing much tissue culture right now. I sent you the protocols (instructions) if they have specific questions I am happy to try to answer them but I really don't have time to spend days teaching your students.
Her: Well, do you have some tobacco plants I can have? I need them for the tissue culture.
Me: I'll mail you some tobacco seeds. I'm busy and I really need to get back to work.

I can not believe that this lady is a professor and makes probably twice as much as I do. Not only did I already give her instructions, but any of you reading this are probably only a little google searching away from learning tobacco tissue culture if you were sufficiently motivated as it is not a secret and it is not that hard.

But on a brighter note: Ol' sleepy couldn't stay awake for our afternoon walk yesterday. He is cute all the time but especially when he sleeps.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0413_zpsrxad7s8x.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0413_zpsrxad7s8x.jpg.html)

Madeforyouinma11
August 7th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Good morning everyone. Blondie, I'm glad moms appointment went well and it sounds like you three had a good day.
The skies are going to be a little grey here today too. The temps and humidity are down a little bit also. Another good day to get into the sewing room to do some cleaning. That is the last room I have to do my heavy duty cleaning. I have
A few drawers and closets here and there to clean out, but other than that, I'm in pretty good shape.
I have been stocking my freezer and dry goods over the summer too...if all goes well, when the cold weather hits, I won't have to leave my sewing room...LOL just kidding, but it would be nice.
Blondie, my life is like yours...exciting with a side of boring and humdrum for dessert...but I wouldn't trade it for the world!
Hoping everyone has a good day and finds a reason to smile.

Monique
August 7th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Good morning. I kept myself busy yesterday. Laundry, clean up and sewing. I finished 7 rows with one more to go for the row by row. This is what I learned in the process: I don't applique very well, trying to make triangles with a ruler is nil (I used squares cut on the diagonal), following instructions without visuals is HARD!! My last row is an applique row but now I can do that with a little more confidence.

So today, I will get more cleaning done and start on that last row.

Have a wonderful day friends.

aliaslaceygreen
August 7th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Good morning... .looking like the rain will be with us for the weekend and rain out the big car show at the Pecan Grove that Timmy wants to attend...or I will be putting on my wellies and go mud puddling with him....

Tatiana is doing much better.... Vet couldn't find anything wrong with her other than a heart murmur that was so loud he wanted a new vet to get a chance to listen to it! ...and she got right on the table last night and helped herself to green beans and rice! So...

One quilt in dryer and I will be making binding for another this weekend..
Our Quilt Guild has 340 entries, they said!
September 20 and 21 at Richmond International Raceway, if anyone is interested.

Hope all in HI are doing well!!

buckeyequilter
August 7th, 2014, 09:44 AM

Good morning.....

It's not raining here....but it sure was foggy this morning on my way to work. I do look at the weather once in a while, my DH is a regular weather station. It doesn't look like we are supposed to have any rain until Saturday.

I finished my Butterfly quilt top last night. I always take a picture to see if I can find any glaring mistakes. I can see that I should have put some of the blocks in different places....but it's going to stay the way it is....that is not glaring enough to fix.

I think I might get that on the frame tonight because I would like to finish it this week.

Well need to get back to work....have a wonderful day!

Mom23
August 7th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Good Morning All,

Blondie, you and your husband take such good care of your mama. You are setting a great example for your children!

Ryan, seeing pictures of Sawyer is the perfect start to my mornings. It seems like yesterday we were anxiously awaiting pictures of the little man!

I'm going to sew with some guild friends today. I should stay home and get some housework done but I really miss my sewing friends, and I can clean any day! I posted several completed quilts in my album yesterday. Wow, that took a long time. Finally realized I have to resize them. Good grief, I can be so computer illiterate at times. So, so frustrating.

Praying for those in the path of hurricanes and storms. Stay safe.

HandsOffItsMine
August 7th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Well, we had a fun time celebrating Oliver's birthday yesterday. Chinese food was served along with a Ice cream cake! All chosen by Mr. Ol Ol...

83823 Mr. Oliver, A big 4 now

83824 Lighting McQueen Chosen by Mr. Ollie

83825 Mr. Ol doing a Gene Simmons impression. ;)

At last check in this morning at 8:30, the little ones were still asleep...all the partying last night wore them out. lol

Ollie thanks everyone for the birthday wishes yesterday!

Genny
August 7th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I'm sitting here waiting for my daughter to call. We're heading out 45 miles to pick up her new Jeep...(new to her, its a 2010). She just got off work at 7:00am and is going to take a couple hour nap first but then off we go. Shes so excited and I'm excited for her.

Ryan...little wiggles is getting cuter every time I see a pic of him!

Genny
August 7th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Well, we had a fun time celebrating Oliver's birthday yesterday. Chinese food was served along with a Ice cream cake! All chosen by Mr. Ol Ol...

83823 Mr. Oliver, A big 4 now

83824 Lighting McQueen Chosen by Mr. Ollie

83825 Mr. Ol doing a Gene Simmons impression. ;)

At last check in this morning at 8:30, the little ones were still asleep...all the partying last night wore them out. lol

Ollie thanks everyone for the birthday wishes yesterday!

Happy belated Birthday to little Oliver...hes a real cutie too!

Miss Sheri
August 7th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Good Morning,
I too am praying for those in the path of the storms. I have been busy, busy, busy sewing these past couple of weeks. As soon as I finish up my projects I promise to post pictures. I have been the president of our Ladies Relief Society in our local church for the past three years and my time of that service will come to an end on Sunday. I decided two weeks ago that I needed to make lap quilts for each of those who had been working closely with me for the entire three years, that equals 4 lap quilts, all about 60 x 60". One is Americana, one is Japanese Lanterns and the other two are pretty whimsical, one is Beach Balls, and the other is a jar of gumballs. Tops are finished, the Japanese Lanterns is quilted, binding is made and ready for all four. I am hoping to finish quilting the other three today. Most of my quilting is very simple, serpentine style, outlining blocks, so it goes pretty fast. But, we have been busier these past few weeks than the past four months. About 10 new families in the neighborhood to welcome, lots of new babies, with meals for the new mommies, several who needed material assistance, and one neighbor in and out of the hospital, and a death.
The funeral is tomorrow, and so we will be setting up, attending, and sponsoring the family luncheon after. Nothing like finishing strong, right? My family has scooped up any remaining bits and pieces of time, so, that's why I have mostly been MIA on the forum. But, things should slow way down after Sunday. I love you all, and pray for you daily. Have a safe, beautiful, blessed day.
Hugs! Sheri

MayinJerset
August 7th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Same here Blondie, just a regular everyday life. It was a little exciting yesterday as I drove to LQS to get a gift certificate as a prize for our pillowcase contest. Oh, more excitement tonight as I have a guild meeting, any more exciting I'll faint, LOL! It will be nice to see guild members as we haven't met since June.

Super cool here this morning.\, windows open and cool breeze coming in. Love this kind of summer weather with sun shining and probably warm enough this afternoon for people to enjoy the pool, beach or whatever outdoors but no humidity for we who need to work at home.

Little Sawyer is just as cute asleep as he is awake. Ryan, if that professor needs so much help maybe she should get wise and hire you (like in paying you) for your expert advice.

Hi Ho, off to work I go. Going to visit DS#3 in MA this weekend and gathering items to bring with us. DH is bringing his photography equipment, cameras, tripod, etc., as DGD wants him to help her with a photography project. Last year she helped him with one for his photography class assignment by dressing and posing for a mood photo so it's his turn to help her. At 17 her interest come and go but guitar and, photography seem to be her faves.

Sandy Navas
August 7th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Our rain started here about 5:30 last night and I don't think it stopped until 5:30 this morning. Welcomed, for sure. Al sure cringes when there's thunder and lightening though - and if the winds pick up . . .

Going to see the Tula Pink exhibit at an art museum here. Sis wants to go and offered lunch if I'd go with her . . . who could pass that up. I'm not necessarily a Tula fan but do so admire what she's done if that makes sense. She's too ultra-modern for my quilting tastes.

Yesterday was such a special time - I told Jenny I'd move to Hamilton in a second and she informed me there are houses for sale. Hmm. Even Al had a fantastic time - he's still talking about it. (Oh, and Bernice, he apologized all over the place for forgetting to bring me back to the quilting center!)

Finished my Cat in the Hat lap throw yesterday. I'll toss it in the washer and get it dried and fluffed and post some pictures. Love the way my binding turned out. Other sewing plans include getting my Haunted House ready to quilt . . .

Keep smiling and:

Over40momma
August 7th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Not much going on here. We have had rain for past few days but are now promised sunshine right through to the coming Monday. Love seeing all the pictures of the kids......seems so long ago since I had little ones around me! Please take the time to enjoy them and treasure each second you have, for all too soon they grow up on you.

"Regular living"....I like the sound of the that. Still not quite myself yet, a bit disjointed emotionally I guess is the best way to describe it. But that is not a bad thing as it is letting me get through the days and distancing me from my Dad's passing. That still feels surreal in alot of ways. I am keeping in close contact with my step-mom as I think we both have a friendship that was not contingent upon just being married to my Dad. This blessing is not one I will ever take for granted, plus she is such a nice person you just feel good talking to her!! I hope I give her some small measure of that in return. My girls are doing well and seemed to have found a good balance for all that has happened in their short lives. Really proud of them. :icon_hug:

Have managed to do a bit of tidying in my house and moving some stuff around that makes the house feel nicer. Odd phrasing I know, but fairly accurate for the effect it has made. Did some serious clearing out but alot more yet to do. One day at a time......a phrase my mom used often but I never really "got it". Now I do! lol Now it's time to make the list for the girl's as they are going to the store for me before they head off to the library. They can be sooo sweet. :icon_bigsmile:

Keeping good thoughts for those in storm areas and wishing you all a great day! Blessed be,

Bubby
August 7th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Morning Blondie,

We got rain and fireworks all night but it has passed us by. We hadn't had any rain in so long our grass was burning up. We haven't had to mow for over two weeks. This rain will change things.

I went back to bed when Jeff went to work. That's something I rarely do. It sure makes my morning short.

Let's remember to pray for our members in Hawaii who may get hit by two huge hurricanes. I pm'd Lorie (Hulamoon) and they are prepared.

Hugs all around....

K. McEuen
August 7th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Yesterday was such a special time - I told Jenny I'd move to Hamilton in a second and she informed me there are houses for sale. Hmm.

There are houses for sale and they are actually pretty cheap considering most come with land. Yes, I've looked. :) Just not sure I could deal with the winters and the humidity. Lived my entire life in either California, Texas or New Mexico. So no real winter to speak of and if it does snow it's gone in a day or two. My joints sure do love the low to no humidity of NM too. I creak an awful lot when I go back to Texas to visit or last year in MO.

Judy, USMC
August 7th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Still morning here in Chicago but afternoon is quickly approaching - it's 11:30am. No rain here yesterday but we did have some 2AM excitement.

My neighbor is diabetic and every once in a while his numbers fall so low his wife has to call the EMTs. So when the fire truck came down the street I wasn't too excited but since I was still up I went onto the porch and was ready to go over to see if she needed me.

Much to my amazement the truck parked in front of my house and was quickly joined by a second and then the third and 4th located themselves at the end of the block! Two more trucks joined in and parked themselves at the other end of the block where the police squad car was spinning his blue and white lights. One fireman was walking with the fire extinguisher in his hand and another already had the huge key on top of the fire hydrant located across the street. Everyone was in full bunker gear ... and then one of them started walking to me while I was standing on my porch. Seemed there was a reported fire at MY ADDRESS!?!?!?

After assuring him there was no fire here he got on the radio to confirm the address. Luckily the report was made from a landline so they could trace the call and get to the right address ... or catch the idiot if it was a false report. But I was impressed with the response - 6 trucks of various sizes and configuration - at lease 30 firemen - oh and can't forget the cop & cruiser. Makes me feel better about the high tax rate if it pays for this type of protection!

EnumclawGramma
August 7th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I'm late! I'm late! I'm late!
Seahawks have their first pre-season game today, my day is focused around that because I am hoping my son and 5 Grands are coming over to watch with us. This is a big big deal around here.....we're big on Football (being from Seattle and all!)
Sun is shining and it's shaping up to be a beautiful day. Something from the BBQ for dinner that is quick and easy and kids love it, maybe I'll make a tater salad.
I slept in! Now I've gotta make up for it and get the move on! Have a wonderful day! SMILE!!

alliek
August 7th, 2014, 05:54 PM
This is the late afternoon, and no rain for us. Overcast, hazy,occasional sun today. Did some errands. Watching my brothers dog for a few weeks. She is old and on a pill regime, fits right in here. LOL. Unmotivated to do anything!:icon_rolleyes: But I too do appreciate hum drum to drama. Saw a beautiful big green "leaf bug" today. Lovely specimen ! Thursday evening and one of my favs tonight: Project Runway. Happy rest of week to all. :icon_hi: