PDA

View Full Version : He cleaned up my sewing room!!?!?!?

RiverMomm
August 3rd, 2014, 12:04 PM
A few weeks ago, I was got one of those phone calls we dread. Basically, my 93 yr old father was killing himself by trying to visit his wife every day at rehab. She fell and after a week in the hospital, she was sent to rehab. Dad was driving himself every day and staying with her from 9am till 9pm. He wouldn't listen to anyone, so finally my step brother called and said it was close to an emergency without being a disaster. I was able to get a flight to Georgia and get there in less than 20 hours since the call (pretty darn good coming from Canada). Yes, my step brother made the right decision to call me. I set up a schedule for visits and did all the driving. Breakfast. then visit rehab 11-2 so they could have lunch together,then home for rest/nap, back to rehab 5-7:30 (dinner), home to watch the Braves and then bed. I could see an improvement within days. Her family decided it was time for a change and started the move to a retirement village (very nice BTW). Finally, step-mom was released and she and Dad moved into a beautiful apartment. Let's just say the move was needed but not totally appreciated. They are adjusting.

Finally, I came home after three weeks away. It just so happened that hubby had his two week vacation while I was gone -yeah, typical! we had to cancel our plans :( What that meant was my sweet husband was home alone for TWO weeks. He changed cable companies-which is great except I have to learn new remotes for the tv, he cleaned the house, rearranged the kitchen, moved some furniture, etc. Yeah, bored hubby plus empty house is dangerous.

But here is where dangerous becomes . . . serious. He was so proud of himself. He picks me up at the airport and as we chat on the way home he casually throws out that since the cable guy had to go into my sewing room, he decided to give it a facelift. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (here is where I have to admit that the room was a disaster area as I was in the middle of rearranging fabric, putting it on comic book boards, arranging by color, etc. Yeah, piles of fabric but the shelves were nicely organized-not so much anymore. All fabric was shoved into the wall unit, furniture was rearranged, things put in empty plastic boxes (hey, I was getting there, I had the plastic boxes LOL). As I stood in the doorway of the room with hubby behind me (waiting for me to oooh and ahhh), I was in a state of shock. I mean, the room looks great. But I have no idea where anything is. I took a big breath, turned around and kissed hubby. "Thanks so much, sweety"

Later, I gently told him that I would be moving the sewing machine cabinet back to where it was before when I sew as there was a reason for the set up. He totally understood and said he only did it so it looked good for the cable guy (which is sweet cause I KNOW he doesn't care a bit what the cable guy thinks). It may take me years to find everything.

Next time, I will make sure the sewing room is slightly picked up, the furniture is bolted down and maybe even lock the door.

Pandabear
August 3rd, 2014, 12:20 PM
How sweet of your hubby to help out like that. You're more understanding than I. :)

Hubby and I have an understanding. He doesn't mess with my sewing room and I don't mess with his woodworking shed. We have different methods of organization. They don't mesh well.

RiverMomm
August 3rd, 2014, 12:27 PM
We have been married 35 years and this was the first time he has ever touched anything in my sewing area (except for that learning curve about scissors when we first married). I think he was trying to help me as he knew how tired I was.

mom4him
August 3rd, 2014, 12:43 PM
I had to chuckle. My furniture is all attached to the wall as my sewing area is in our bedroom. Boy I would welcome someone coming in and cleaning the rest of my house though. LOL

MayinJerset
August 3rd, 2014, 12:57 PM
Glad your Dad and step Mom all moved in, they'll get used to it soon and really love it.

Good DH you have there. Whenever I left my DH alone in the house for a few days the only surprise I had was a sink full of dishes and dishtowels, books and other items laid on almost every flat surface. He would always jump up from his chair where he was reading and watching TV and also napping quite a bit and say, "I was just going to load the dishwasher and pick everything up". Yeah, I believed him.

Angelia
August 3rd, 2014, 01:15 PM
I love that you can write "the learning curve about scissors" and we ALL know exactly what you mean! :)

I'm glad your Dad's situation has worked out so well. As for finding things in your sewing room...think of it as a scavenger hunt. :)

Sandy Navas
August 3rd, 2014, 01:43 PM
But, don't you know his heart was definitely in the right place?

Difficult decisions with parents - but we do wind up in a position where we have to be the ones making decisions for them. I'm certain they will settle in and love their new home.

Monique
August 3rd, 2014, 01:52 PM
Vicky, it's the thought that counts, right? LOL!!

You are a good daughter to take care of your Dad like that.

DeniseSm
August 3rd, 2014, 01:55 PM
I feel your pain with not being able to find anything. In 2013 we decided to sell our house and relocate to a different state with better climate. The housing market was red hot, so we knew the house would sell quickly. I quickly packed up my sewing room so we could turn it back into a bedroom. I just threw everything in the boxes, knowing I would sort it out on the other end after we moved. Two weeks after we listed our house the county started major road construction on the only road to our house. It was down to bare dirt and gravel literally for the next six months. Need less to say we only got one low ball offer on our house. I still can't find some stuff, like patterns I know I bought. There is no point in unpacking because we will try again next spring to sell the house.

Lesson learned.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 3rd, 2014, 02:43 PM
Yikes! I can't imagine someone else rearranging my sewing space, love the scissors story! I write on the blade " touch this and Die!" To just keep things out of the wrong hands!

Claire OneStitchAtATime
August 3rd, 2014, 02:58 PM
I'm pretty sure my husband thinks my insistence that he not use the fabric scissors for anything else is one of those nutty crazy lady things, with no rationale behind it. He has learned, though, to stay away from the scissors.

Vonnie
August 3rd, 2014, 05:38 PM
My DMIL is a quilter so my DH was already trained! He always ask what scissors to use.

He would never dream of reorganizing my sewing/quilting area although he will help move things around if I ask.

What I think is funny is that we have lived in this house for 17 years. Whenever DH or one of the boys empty the dishwasher they put things away in the wrong place. I just say "thank you" so as not to discourage them from helping. But, really, they know where to find things in the kitchen so why can't they put the clean ones in the right place.

Angelia
August 3rd, 2014, 05:59 PM
Yikes! I can't imagine someone else rearranging my sewing space, love the scissors story! I write on the blade " touch this and Die!" To just keep things out of the wrong hands!

I wrote on mine as well--"DO NOT USE"--all over the handles and blades!

MayinJerset
August 3rd, 2014, 06:38 PM
"But, really, they know where to find things in the kitchen so why can't they put the clean ones in the right place. "

Vonnie, That's my DH, after living in this house almost 50 years he certainly knows where things but when he empties the dish washer. I always find several items on the counter that he didn't know where they went. Example, I have a set of 3 mixing bowls that fit together in one stack, he never puts the bowls away because he's too lazy to pick up the stack and put the bowls in size order.

kensington
August 3rd, 2014, 07:24 PM
This is what they make padlocks for. I don't want anyone going into my sewing room for any reason. Good grief, someone would use my scissors to cut metal if I let people in there. NO...

Midge
August 3rd, 2014, 07:42 PM
I know it's frustrating when family rearranges things, but I want to believe that it was the thought that counts here. He was so sweet to dig in and help out when he could have just relaxed on his solo vacation. That guy is a keeper.

MRoy
August 3rd, 2014, 09:10 PM
Bless him, his heart was in the right place. I hope you find everything soon and I'm glad to hear things are working out for your dad and his wife.

Sylvia H
August 3rd, 2014, 09:43 PM
Both of you are "keepers". Good for you in being able to thank your husband instead of berating him! His heart was in the right place - and so is yours. Yes, it might be awhile before you find everything - and maybe you will have to replace some things. But - he cares, he loves you, and he was helping. Certainly that trumps being able to find everything!

Ginny B
August 3rd, 2014, 09:58 PM
Oh wow! What a surprise! :icon_stunned: That was very sweet of him. Good luck finding everything.

monklesmom
August 3rd, 2014, 10:08 PM
I say it is a great opportunity to buy a few new things if you can't find it!! :) My husband knows about the scissors and he knows that if he wants any hemming done he needs to go to the separate sewing area I made for him and my daughter!!! I inherited my grandmothers sewing machine so they have one to sew on!! I have my daughter so trained that NO ONE goes to the sewing area that when my dad visited they were playing in the basement and all of a sudden we hear "MOMMY MOMMY Gramps is in your sewing area!!!!" The look on my step moms face was priceless!! To have saw my dads face would have been great!! But I know I have my point across and if you will tell on Gramps then you will surely tell on your friends!!

MaryD
August 4th, 2014, 12:38 AM
My ex never learnt to stay away from my scissors. They were just the thing for cutting copper wire with. And he always managed to find my new pair of scissors, even if I left the damaged ones in his tool box.

sidesaddles
August 4th, 2014, 01:37 AM
my husband learned the scissor lesson when he had to buy me a very expensive complete set.

rebeccas-sewing
August 4th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Joe has informed me that I have nothing to worry about. He said, "You know how I hate it when you move my stuff around? Well, I will never touch your sewing room for that same reason." However, while we're living abroad (I have no idea who could be tramping through my house these days since my daughters live there) you can be sure my sewing room is securely locked.

Suzette
August 4th, 2014, 07:52 AM
What he tried to do for you was sooo sweet! Sounds like a great guy! :icon_bigsmile:

My hubby and I have an understanding that he stays out of my quilt room and I stay out of his garage. But if he did this while I was away, I would be so touched by his good intentions. You are a lucky lady (keep reminding yourself of this while you put the room back the way you want it!) :lol:

SallyO'Sews
August 4th, 2014, 10:16 PM
I love this story, Vicky! Love that your DH loves you so much that wanted to surprise you, and even more that you love him so much that you thanked him for "rearranging" your room!

Wwena
August 6th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Oh my!! I'm not sure I could've done that with a straight face lol.

Sounds like you did what's best for your dad, I hope they are happy in their new place real soon and get the help they need.

RiverMomm
August 6th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I have found the baking dishes and mugs in the kitchen, adjusted to the moved furniture (hey, one was his desk, so really I can't complain), ignored the sewing room (yeah, yeah, that day is coming) but I CANNOT find my vacuum. I have a small one but I really need to get the dyson out and running. But where is it, to get it out? I mean, really-who moves a vacuum-unless he used it and then . . . where would he put it? I am at the point of breaking down and asking him. I mean, it has to be somewhere around here . . . closet? other closet? laundry room (where it was before)? basement closet? How can I be missing it??

And the sewing still looks great. ;)

alliek
August 6th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Ahh his heart was in the right place! Better than coming home to the mess my SIL did when she left my brother alone for the first time. Had to call in a cleaning company, after they got rid of rotten potatoes and onions. Their house was fairly new and since he worked long hours and is very "thrifty" he did not avail himself of the CAC too much, therefore, the linens stored in the closets had mold on them from the humidity and had to be discarded if they did not clean up well. That was a long disasterous time ago. He's better now. Somewhat. LOL I hope your dad and his wife adjust to their new and necessary arrangements. I bet they will love it soon.

WendyI
August 6th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Imagine all the "goodies" you'll find while trying to undo all his hard work! LOL! Next time send him my way will ya!

Glad your dad and step-mom are all sorted. That must be a big relief.