PDA

View Full Version : Green Peppers

maxwellthecat
August 3rd, 2014, 02:21 AM
I was wondering if I were to take a bunch of peppers, slice them and put them in Ziplock bags, would I be able to freeze them? I don't remember if I've ever done it before.

kensington
August 3rd, 2014, 02:27 AM
Yes. My sister does it all the time.

shawnan
August 3rd, 2014, 02:33 AM
I don't know if I have done this before or not, but I would suggest putting the slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet and froze them before I put them into a baggie. This way they won't stick together.

Nancy

rebeccas-sewing
August 3rd, 2014, 03:49 AM
Yep! I don't defrost them. I just throw them into whatever I'm cooking. I do the same with onions and celery. I haven't tried carrots but same probably goes for them.

MayinJerset
August 3rd, 2014, 05:10 AM
Yes, like Nancy said freezing them separately and then bagging them works. Good advice from Rebecca about adding them frozen to whatever you are making because they get mushy when they are defrosted, certainly wouldn't use them in a salad. I also do onions and celery which are great to have on hand in the freezer when making soups, they are all cut and ready to add to the recipe. Never tried it but don't think they would be good for stuffed peppers.

rebeccas-sewing
August 3rd, 2014, 05:14 AM
I bet it would work if the peppers were being cooked in the sauce on the stove top rather than baked. Stuff them while they are frozen then add to the pot and surround with sauce. My mother-in-law makes them that way rather than dry in the oven. I wonder if she ever used frozen peppers? I tend to doubt it. She learned to make them from her dad. When I met Joe's Grandpa at his home in Cleveland before we married that's what he had simmering on the stove for our lunch. Yummy in my tummy!

rebeccas-sewing
August 3rd, 2014, 05:24 AM
This recipe looks delicious. Unusual that it calls for tomato juice rather than tomato sauce. Saucy Stuffed Peppers Recipe - Allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/saucy-stuffed-peppers/)

Rhealene
August 3rd, 2014, 05:53 AM
I buy bell peppers when I can find nice looking ones for a good price...then I wash them, half them and de-seed then throw them in a ziplock bag and freeze. When I make stuffed peppers, I just make up the filling and pull the peppers out and stuff them while they are still frozen, smother in tomato sauce and bake...turns out good! Sometimes I'll pull out a pepper from the freezer and cut it up while it is still frozen and use in a stew or a stir fry. I also cut up and freeze fresh onions, carrots, celery, squash, asparagus, cabbage, tomatoes. Something else we do is save the roux from a cooked roast, freeze the roux and use later as beef stock to start a stew.

MayinJerset
August 3rd, 2014, 06:01 AM
Wow, that recipe calls for a gallon of tomato juice! Stuffing the peppers before freezing would be a good idea.

My mother always made stuffed peppers in the oven with several small cans of Del Monte tomato sauce poured over the peppers. She used to call the sauce Spanish sauce as it wasn't thick like Italian tomato sauce. She never would have bought a jar or can of Italian sauce, you had to make your own. Mom always used green peppers but I think that was the only kind available years ago. Sometimes she stuffed the smaller longer light green peppers, usually called frying or cubano peppers.

Well I know what is going on my shopping list for this week, peppers, chopped chuck and some Del Monte tomato sauce. I'll freeze some stuffed peppers for another time and save all the small pieces like the caps in the freezer.

You know I'm getting very hungry as I had an upset stomach today and ate very lightly, also skipped dinner. No, even if I had some stuffed peppers in the freezer, not the best thing to eat in the middle of the night.

Bubby
August 3rd, 2014, 08:50 AM
I do that all the time, Lori. Sometimes I chop them up first and other times I cut them in rings. They keep well, but they are a little watery after they are defrosted, so you would have to cook them.

My Mom used to cut the tops off her peppers and scoop out the seeds and the membrane and roll up a piece of waxed paper or foil and stuff it inside the pepper and then freeze them in plastic bags. She would just pull out the number of peppers she wanted to stuff and remove the waxed paper and stuff them while still frozen and bake them with homemade tomato sauce. Mom and Dad always had a huge garden and she had more produce than she knew what to do with. They provided free produce to most of their tiny town, especially the seniors who could no longer take care of a garden.

Hulamoon
August 3rd, 2014, 08:58 AM
This is for you Rebecca
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Recipe - Page 2 of 2 (http://www.thetaylor-house.com/quinoa-stuffed-peppers-recipe/2/)

New York Sue
August 3rd, 2014, 09:17 AM
I wash, seed and halve mine, then put them on trays lined with parchment to flash freeze. I usually let them stand on my counter with my overhead ceiling fan on, so they're dried well, and place tray in freezer for 4-6 hours. I usually will place a set of tongs on tray, as well, to chill. Then pack them up into ziplock bags with the chilled tongs.
I use this same method for sliced zucchini, summer squash and berries, as well.

Grandma Nan
August 3rd, 2014, 09:29 AM
I just started freezing veggies and making sweet chili sauce last year (after I retired). My favourite is freezer apple sauce. So easy. It was so good to have all those things in my freezer. This thread is getting me anxious to start again this year. Our tomatoes and corn are just coming on right now so I will be starting very soon. Quilting, canning. I feel like little house on the prairies but I love it.
This year I'm adding corn and now peppers to my freezer list. I am using my last bag of frozen tomatoes this morning as I am making a lasagna today. It is so much better using your fresh frozen tomatoes in sauces.
Have a good day, I need to go to the farmer's market.

MayinJerset
August 3rd, 2014, 09:44 AM
Glad this thread got started, I have 2 new stuffed pepper recipes to try as well as some good advice about freezing peppers.

irishrn
August 3rd, 2014, 11:06 AM
I was told that a bell pepper with three bumps on the bottom are sweeter than the ones with four bumps! Does anyone know if that is true??? I don't eat the green ones but I use the yellow, orange and red ones as a snack!!! Smear cream cheese on them and WOW!!!

sidesaddles
August 3rd, 2014, 11:17 AM
Well, you can tell where I live..I thought she meant jalapeno peppers. lol

sidesaddles
August 3rd, 2014, 11:18 AM
Well, you can tell where I live..I thought she meant green chili orjalapeno peppers. lol

maxwellthecat
August 3rd, 2014, 02:46 PM
I want to thank everyone, I wasn't aware that you could freeze all those veggies. What I want them for is just for munching on something if I get a little hungry. As far stuffed peppers, I don't stuff them. What I do is slice your peppers and put them in a frying pan with water and put the cover on. Stir every so often and cook them to your consistency. Fry up your chop meat and drain. Cook your rice and throw everything into a large bowl and add your sauce. It might take a little longer to make, maybe not. My DH will not eat it any other way. He always has 2 servings, he loves it.

K. McEuen
August 3rd, 2014, 03:03 PM
Veggies are NOT good for munching on after they hav been frozen. Only good to use in cooking.

Madeforyouinma11
August 3rd, 2014, 03:07 PM
I didn't know about the green peppers either. I thought that in order to freeze all the other veggies mentioned...squash, corn, carrots...that you had to blanch them first? Is it not necessary to blanch them?

New York Sue
August 3rd, 2014, 03:59 PM
I didn't know about the green peppers either. I thought that in order to freeze all the other veggies mentioned...squash, corn, carrots...that you had to blanch them first? Is it not necessary to blanch them?

Cil, from the Ball Blue Book of Preserving:

"Vegetables must be properly blanched to preserve quality. Exceptions are rhubarb and vegetables used exclusively for flavoring. such as peppers, onions, horseradish, and herbs."

Madeforyouinma11
August 3rd, 2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks Sue! So I'm right in thinking that I need to blanch my squash...it's on my list of things to do tomorrow.

maxwellthecat
August 4th, 2014, 02:01 AM
Thank you so much for all the advice, I will for sure start freezing veggies. You were all a great help to me.
Karen, thank you I figured they would come out like mush. For cooking the frozen veggies would be great.

rebeccas-sewing
August 4th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Thanks, Lorie, for the Quinoa-stuffed peppers recipe. This one sounds delicious. I made the WeightWatchers version and my family really likes it. I have just discovered this fantastic grain. Since we've really cut back on our meat consumption it's fantastic to have a high-protein substitute to add to the arsenal. WeightWatchers.com: Weight Watchers Recipe - Stuffed Peppers with Mediterranean Spiced Quinoa (http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeId=220451)I'll definitely be giving your recipe a try.