PDA

View Full Version : School Shoe Shopping With the GK's

auntiemern
August 3rd, 2014, 01:15 AM
The day wore me out. It seemed like such a long day. DH and l took the kids to get new shoes for school. Brianna got her Converse, Mackenzie got her Sperry's, and Bubby got light up Spiderman. I love the new outlet mall that is about 4o minutes from home. The Converse store, Nike,
Skechers, and The Shoe Rack, are all very close together. So to maintain a little harmony, and my sanity, Pa Pa ended up with Brianna getting her Chucks. I took the 2 little ones to the Skechers store. That lasted about 2 minutes
cuz little miss difficult insisted on Sperry's. Right across from there was the Shoe Rack, and they had her shoes and Bubby's. A quick in & out at Hot Topic and Claires we left the mall (with funnel cakes) then on to Target. After all of that we stopped at Station Shake (aka Steak & Shake) per Bubby's request, and home at 9. I just can't go like l used to.

Angelia
August 3rd, 2014, 01:25 AM
Whew!! I'm tired just reading about your day. :)

rebeccas-sewing
August 3rd, 2014, 03:56 AM
This is why I keep telling my daughter that I will not be her nanny when she marries and has kids. She said to me not long ago that she hoped I would live close by when she marries and has a baby so I can take care of the baby while she works. I let her know in no uncertain terms that would not be happening. I'm almost 63 and I'm done raising kids.

auntiemern
August 3rd, 2014, 04:46 AM
This is why I keep telling my daughter that I will not be her nanny when she marries and has kids. She said to me not long ago that she hoped I would live close by when she marries and has a baby so I can take care of the baby while she works. I let her know in no uncertain terms that would not be happening. I'm almost 63 and I'm done raising kids.I do feel what you are saying, however I can't trust the big bad world or any babysitter, nor day care to care for my GK's. I am just not that trusting. I read horror story's every day about day care and baby sitters. I left my grand son with his father one time and he almost killed him. My DD is a single mom with 3 kids, and can't afford a nanny or any other high $ child care. I would rather be safe (knowing my GK's are being loved and cared for by me and their PaPa) than the alternative, and get another phone call. We were lucky, and Bubby really is a miracle. Til the day I die, or they are old enough to be left on their own, that will be my job. God blessed me with my grand children, and I will be the one to protect and care for them while their mom works. Sure it is hard. I am not in great physical condition. That is a decision I made with my first grand child, that I would never have one of my grand children in day care. It isn't for all grandparents, but it is right for this one.

Sandy Navas
August 3rd, 2014, 10:24 AM
Bubby's Spiderman shoes reminds me of coming out of a store one day around Halloween and there was a young mother just coming in - she had a little boy about 4 or 5 years old with her and he was dressed as Spiderman. I stopped and said "Oh, hello there, Spiderman." The little boy quickly did a turn around, all excited, "Where, where?"

Vonnie
August 3rd, 2014, 11:44 AM
Marilyn - that's the happy type of tired.

Marilyn - I would have loved being close enough to relatives when my boys were babies. What we did instead was go with a day care that was inspected without notice and also all areas were open. Then after we moved we went with a church run day care where we could go in unannounced at any time. We also had our boys there for private school. We lived in Alabama at the time and there were problems with guns and knifes even in elementary school! And that was kindergarten thru second grade! As soon as we could afford it, I became a stay at home Mom. It's a scary world out there. And sadly, a lot of times it is a relative who turns out to be a bad guy like in the case of your little grandson.

Rebecca - what you said reminds me of one of my Aunts. She used to tell my cousin grandchildren are to be enjoyed - not endured!

I envy all of you with grandkids. My boys (24 and 30) are still looking for Miss Right. And we are old enough to be grandparents to our youngest. Hope I'm not to old to even hold a baby by the time we are grandparents.

My DH and I, as a gift to our youngest, took him clothes shopping for his new job that he starts tomorrow. We had a good day of shopping. We spent about $270 and bought him 3 pairs of dress slacks and 5 dress shirts plus DH got 3 dress slacks and 1 dress shirt! JC Penny was having a back to school sale! Yikes! Today's the last day for those sales. I told my son, if I was a seamstress (instead of a quilter) there is no way I could have bought the material for all those clothes for that price let along make them in a timely manner.

Vonnie
August 3rd, 2014, 11:48 AM
Bubby's Spiderman shoes reminds me of coming out of a store one day around Halloween and there was a young mother just coming in - she had a little boy about 4 or 5 years old with her and he was dressed as Spiderman. I stopped and said "Oh, hello there, Spiderman." The little boy quickly did a turn around, all excited, "Where, where?"

Sandy - I used to buy my boys new pajamas just before Halloween. These were cute hero's outfits with attached capes. I remember my oldest being Spiderman and my youngest (still in diapers) being Batman. They would wear them for the first time on Halloween and when ever they wanted to afterwards since they were pj's and not the usual costume material.

MayinJerset
August 3rd, 2014, 01:12 PM
After many years of hectic Back to School shopping with the 8 Grandkids I solved the problem for myself. Although I didn't shop with all of them at the same time, going with 2 or 3 at a time was enough. Some only wanted clothes from certain high end shops and others wanted clothes that were unsuitable so I gave the money to their moms who shopped for or with them. Mom knows what their kids need. Only grand that was easy to shop for is youngest one Ben. He hates to shop and whatever and said Yes to whatever I showed him. Used to throw in a package of super hero undies but now that Ben will turn 14 next month I don't think that's a good idea, I'll give the money to his Dad and they'll shop together.

One good thing about shopping with a few kids at the same time was that we would go to Kohl's during a sale and I'd also use my 20 0r 30% off coupon and everyone would get an outfit and I'd save lots of dollars.