PDA

View Full Version : Knife lessons

Beastsgirl
August 1st, 2014, 09:17 PM
OK so earlier this week, I was treated by my husband to a new set of VERY sharp kitchen knives. My old ones have long since been past their best and we're somewhat lethal to use. Once I got them home and unwrapped them I proceeded to lecture my two kids (who are not small people anymore) to be careful with the new knives and watch what they were doing as the were SUPER sharp. Since this conversation I have somehow managed to cut myself no less than three times, once requiring steri-strips, and I am now banned from chopping duties by the family until I am all healed... The moral of this story? Practice what you preach!!!!!:icon_neutral:

Hayley xx

Pandabear
August 1st, 2014, 09:21 PM
Isn't that always the way? I'm sorry you hurt yourself.

I just found a free Craftsy class on using knives properly in the kitchen. He has some good techniques I'm going to try out.

Beastsgirl
August 1st, 2014, 09:27 PM
Thank you, I'm not usually such a Klutz, but my kids think it's hilarious that Mum is not allowed near the knives for a while!!
Hayley xx

Midge
August 1st, 2014, 10:17 PM
I'm a bit ashamed to admit I laughed out loud when I read your post. Been there and done that, for sure. It's a great excuse to get help in the kitchen, though, so work it for all its worth!

Racing Nana
August 2nd, 2014, 09:21 AM
I always had dull knives, worked well for me.

Then my Mom would come for a visit and proceed to sharpen all my knives.
I would spend the next 3 weeks bleeding and wearing bandages on all appendages until I could dull them back to perfection.

Bless her heart.

But I do sharpen my cutter blades.....go figure. One must have priorities ya know.

New York Sue
August 2nd, 2014, 09:52 AM
Oh, do I KNOW where you are coming from!!

I LOVE a good, sharp knife and have quite a collection, and a history of a couple of ER visits.
DH threatened to throw my Henckel Santoku knife out after the last ER visit...I won't get into the details, per se, but it was a hot mess!

My reply?

"Don't even think about it!"

The knife class at Craftsy was free, and very enlightening. I would highly recommend!
(Now, to just unlearn improper technique....)

Beastsgirl
August 2nd, 2014, 03:57 PM
I'm so going to find that class. It might protect my poor fingers from more trauma!! :-)
Hayley xx

Beastsgirl
August 2nd, 2014, 03:58 PM
Well cutter blades are much more important. We have to protect our fabric after all :-)
Hayley xx

Pandabear
August 2nd, 2014, 04:18 PM
I'm so going to find that class. It might protect my poor fingers from more trauma!! :-)
Hayley xx

Complete Knife Skills - Brendan McDermott

If I learn just one thing from this class I hope it's cutting onions so I don't end up with stinging eyes.