PDA

View Full Version : I'm feeling old

Pandabear
August 1st, 2014, 09:02 PM
This month my DS turned 16. Today he got his learner's permit.

I'm feeling old and can't beleive my little baby doesn't need me anymore.

Yes, I'm feeling sorry for myself right now. I think I need to go binge watch Firefly.

Angelia
August 1st, 2014, 09:05 PM
Firefly is great for whatever ails you!

Actually, I've had a good day; maybe I should watch it, too, as preventative medicine. :)

bubba
August 1st, 2014, 09:08 PM
Wait till your oldest grandson turns 19 like mine just did!!!

cyndiofthevortex
August 1st, 2014, 09:09 PM
Believe me, after raising 5 sons, he needs you more than ever at this age! He's right between childhood and adulthood and having a mom who loves him will get him over all the rough spots he's sure to encounter in the next couple of years.

Firefly might still be a good idea, though!

Hulamoon
August 1st, 2014, 09:32 PM
I had to go look that up. There is only one season?

My dd's don't need me either. :(

Angelia
August 1st, 2014, 09:51 PM
Yes, regrettably, only one season, though there was a film that followed.

Midge
August 1st, 2014, 09:59 PM
I had to go look that up. There is only one season?

My dd's don't need me either. :(

Firefly: Totally awesome series and it was a travesty it was cancelled after one season. If you decide you like it, also watch the film that was made after the cancellation and fan outcry. Title of the film is Serenity. It tied up the story arc and was equally awesome. Nothing like space opera!

Hulamoon
August 1st, 2014, 10:03 PM
Firefly: Totally awesome series and it was a travesty it was cancelled after one season. If you decide you like it, also watch the film that was made after the cancellation and fan outcry. Title of the film is Serenity. It tied up the story arc and was equally awesome. Nothing like space opera!

Thanks, I love this stuff. I need a binge right now :)

kensington
August 1st, 2014, 10:44 PM
Oh gosh... I must be ready for Heaven... My oldest turned 40 this year! And, my youngest is turning 21 later in August!

Annette Ackley
August 1st, 2014, 10:49 PM
I think we all feel that way when our youngest becomes an Adult. Just think you have a lot to look forward to. My youngest turns 22 in Sept. Do I wish she was still a toddler??? yes, I miss those days. I'm I old??? mmm.... I get around better than the younger generation. lol

JCY
August 1st, 2014, 11:46 PM
My 2 DSs are 45 and 47, so I must really be old! LOL My oldest gr. child is almost 25. Kids always need their parents in one way or another. JCY

Pandabear
August 2nd, 2014, 12:01 AM
He's my only. When he goes off to live his life, there are no others to cuddle. Maybe that's why I have so many animals.

Angelia
August 2nd, 2014, 01:28 AM
Thanks, I love this stuff. I need a binge right now :)

I envy your seeing it for the first time! :)

easyquilts
August 2nd, 2014, 01:31 AM
Just was it 'till your babies are in their forties.... :)

Hulamoon
August 2nd, 2014, 01:32 AM
I envy your seeing it for the first time! :)

I bought a new dvd player that carries Netflix, so I get to watch it on the big screen! I'm so curious!

Midge
August 2nd, 2014, 03:25 AM
I bought a new dvd player that carries Netflix, so I get to watch it on the big screen! I'm so curious!

You are gonna love it! And if you are looking for more after you watch Serenity, Netflix has another fave space opera called Farscape. Lots of humor; a Jim Henson puppet is one of the main characters; one of the most interesting villains ever. And better yet, with Farscape there are 4 seasons to enjoy.

rebeccas-sewing
August 2nd, 2014, 03:50 AM
To lift your spirits, just remember that you've done a fantastic job if your kids don't need you anymore. Our job is to teach our children how to take care of themselves. Sounds like yours are on their way. Although, I totally agree with Cyndi. Thinking that your sixteen year-old doesn't need you anymore couldn't be further from the truth.

mamaquilt
August 2nd, 2014, 05:11 AM
I totally agree with Cyndi and Rebecca. Our kids need us whatever the age. Even if you've done a good job raising them and getting them settled. They are still our children and stay that as long as you live. And they are proud to be still our children. My dad still calls me "my child" when he wants to lecture me or say something nice and I'm way out of a toodler's age.

Vonnie
August 2nd, 2014, 05:17 AM
My youngest is 24 and he asked if I would go shopping with him tomorrow/today to buy new work clothes - he has to buy work casual - meaning no jeans or t-shirts!

He will still need you no matter what age he is. Just in different ways now.

Terri
August 2nd, 2014, 06:48 AM
I know how you feel....our youngest (of 4 sons) will be 28 on the 24th of this month. Where has the time gone? I clearly remember the day that our oldest (now 32) began kindergarten and the youngest has just turned 1 and was toddling around. Our "boys" are now 32, 31, 30 & 28 (almost). Yes, I was pregnant forever! Birthday of son #1 to birthday of son #4= 4yrs 8 1/2 months. I cried like a baby when the oldest graduated from HS. I was okay for the other three. But when we left the youngest at college, I thought I was going to fall apart. Then when he got married....oh my, I was a wreck at the rehearsal. Crying like someone had just died. None of them were single anymore....none of them really "needed" momma anymore. We raised our sons to be independent, self sufficient, responsible etc etc....and they are. So I guess we did our job and are now enjoying the benefits of the empty nest and have two beautiful grandsons, ages 7 & 8. Oh how I would love a granddaughter....maybe one day......

paandrus
August 2nd, 2014, 11:07 AM
Feeling old is having your DS turn 40.:D

quiltsRfun
August 2nd, 2014, 11:52 AM

Just wait until it's your grandson! Ours just got his DL. He's still our baby boy even though he's 6' 1"

ilive2craft2
August 2nd, 2014, 12:02 PM
I think that it is normal to feel old or get nostalgic when our kids begin to experience major milestones in life, like getting their driver's licence. It doesn't seem that long ago when we were going through those milestones, so how can it be happening to our kids?

I think the milestones help us to transition to the next stage in our lives. It has taken me a long time to get used to being an empty nester - DS moved out at the beginning of last summer to share a house with buddies and then moved 2 hours away to continue his schooling. I consoled myself with turning his room into my sewing room, expanding my quilting skills and spending a lot of time on this wonderful forum. Knowing others that have gone through this and come out on the other side smiling is a good thing and helps you get through each milestone.

Hulamoon
August 2nd, 2014, 12:12 PM
You are gonna love it! And if you are looking for more after you watch Serenity, Netflix has another fave space opera called Farscape. Lots of humor; a Jim Henson puppet is one of the main characters; one of the most interesting villains ever. And better yet, with Farscape there are 4 seasons to enjoy.

This is supposed to be flash sewing weekend! I still haven't started on this season of Orange is the new Black. lol Farscape sounds fun too, Thanks!

Pandabear
August 2nd, 2014, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the support. It helps to know I'm not just being a putz :)

Also, who knew there were so many Firefly fans? How cool!

sassygranny
August 2nd, 2014, 09:48 PM
Oh, Lordy! This one's easy. Just wait 'til he goes off to college or the military. But, Firefly fixes everything. Nathan Fillian in tight pants. Yes, indeed!

Pandabear
August 2nd, 2014, 10:31 PM
Oh, Lordy! This one's easy. Just wait 'til he goes off to college or the military. But, Firefly fixes everything. Nathan Fillian in tight pants. Yes, indeed!

Nathan in tight pants, Adam Baldwin and Vera, and Alan Tudyk with dinosaurs. Love this show.

Angelia
August 2nd, 2014, 11:40 PM
Nathan in tight pants, Adam Baldwin and Vera, and Alan Tudyk with dinosaurs. Love this show.

Don't forget Shepherd Book and the hair! :) "Walk on Preacher Man."

It's also fun to watch Castle with Firefly knowledge. He dresses up for Halloween as a space cowboy--in Captain Mal' s uniform. :)

Terry L
August 2nd, 2014, 11:43 PM

Yes, I'm feeling sorry for myself right now. I think I need to go binge watch Firefly.

.lol.....he still needs you, Mom can I borrow the car, Mom I need gas money, Mom how do you file an insurance claim I put a butt print in the hood. :D

Pandabear
August 3rd, 2014, 12:16 AM
Don't forget Shepherd Book and the hair! :) "Walk on Preacher Man."

It's also fun to watch Castle with Firefly knowledge. He dresses up for Halloween as a space cowboy--in Captain Mal' s uniform. :)

OMG... Firefly and Buffy quotes. They get me every time. I can't look at Book without seeing his Barney Miller character. Ron Glass in a sharp suit.

Pandabear
August 3rd, 2014, 12:17 AM
.lol.....he still needs you, Mom can I borrow the car, Mom I need gas money, Mom how do you file an insurance claim I put a butt print in the hood. :D

A butt print in the hood? There a story to that?

BellasQuilts
August 3rd, 2014, 11:21 PM
Yup, they still need you just in a different way. My DD#2 is due to have baby #2 any MINUTE now. She refused to let me go on vacation, momma has to be here for her. Different, but just as sweet!