PDA

View Full Version : Ruby, my zucchini pie recipe

MayinJerset
July 30th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Just copied it from the recipes section.

Had a zucchini casserole at a pot luck dinner about 20 years ago and loved it and gal was nice enough to give me the recipe. It is a family favorite and I often bring it to summer BBQ's. Family calls it zucchini pie because I often make it in a 10" pie plate. Great dish to have with grilled Italian sausage, thick slices of fresh tomatoes, maybe some fried or roasted peppers and a few sliced of good Italian bread, delicious. A few ears of that fresh picked corn would go well also.

May's Zucchini Pie Preheat oven to 350

3 cups chopped zucchini, peeled or not
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup grated Italian cheese
1/2 cup veggie oil
4 eggs
1 t garlic powder
1 t parsley flakes
1 t salt
1 t pepper

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, pour into a greased 10" pie plate and bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown on top.

I usually cut back on the oil to 1/4 cup and a few times used half eggs and half egg beaters.
Grating the zucchini instead of chopping it makes the dish a little moister but still very tasty.

Blondie
July 31st, 2014, 05:44 AM
Gonna try this one May. You know how zucchini comes in like gang busters! Thanks for posting

sewluvit
July 31st, 2014, 11:13 AM
This sounds delicious, will have to try it out when things slow down around here and I can do some more serious cooking.

Hulamoon
July 31st, 2014, 01:36 PM
Sounds really yummy. Do you know how many it serves and did you ever freeze it?

MayinJerset
July 31st, 2014, 05:14 PM
Sounds really yummy. Do you know how many it serves and did you ever freeze it?
Let's see, I usually make it in a 10" pie plate so it could be cut into 8 slices or 6 if you wanted bigger portions. I've never had enough left over to freeze, we usually nuke any leftovers for our lunch or as a side for dinner the next day .

Zucchini is kind of a watery veggie and I don't think it freezes well, just get much more watery and ruins the dish.
Maybe some of the other cooks here have had success freezing it.

Wwena
August 1st, 2014, 05:24 PM
Sounds great, but what is Bisquick? :)

Hulamoon
August 1st, 2014, 06:20 PM
Sounds great, but what is Bisquick? :)

It's a pancake mix. Do you have a company that sells something like that?

Bisquick (http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/bisquick)

There are several recipies to make your own. I never tried it.

http://myblessedlife.net/2013/11/homemade-bisquick.html

Wwena
August 1st, 2014, 07:18 PM
I might be able to find it in the American shelf at one of our local stores but I don't recognise the name... I'd be better off making my own, I think, so thanks for the link! :)

Hulamoon
August 1st, 2014, 08:10 PM
I might be able to find it in the American shelf at one of our local stores but I don't recognise the name... I'd be better off making my own, I think, so thanks for the link! :)

I looked up another one that uses oil. Probably heathier:)

Bisquick Clone Recipe - Food.com (http://www.food.com/recipe/bisquick-clone-170074)

Andrea F
August 2nd, 2014, 06:41 AM
Thank you, Lorie! I was going to ask the same question as Anna.