PDA

View Full Version : Night Owls - what's new for you

Judy, USMC
July 29th, 2014, 02:30 AM
I was looking for a Night Owl thread ... didn't find one ... so thought I'd start it off tonight.

I picked up my (new to me) Grace Inspira frame today. Looking forward to this new adventure. I found a LQS in the burbs of Chicago that has a 1 1/2 hr class on the basics (loading and hands on FM quilting) plus offers another 1-on-1 instruction period on using pantograms, marking your tops, and using rulers for square/rectangle patterns. That's 3 hours I know I need. I'm so excited ... need to piece some more tops so I can get that baby united with my Juki.

So what's new to you that has lit the fires of quilting passion for you - a pattern, fabric, tool ?

Sheena
July 29th, 2014, 02:43 AM
You lucky girl!

I love today's DD. I googled the fabric to see if I could get it in England, but I can't. This is just as well because I've got loads of sewing to finish.

toggpine
July 29th, 2014, 04:19 AM
12:20 Pacific:
I found a few new patterns while shop hopping and wanted to try out the Two Hour Tulip Purse by Anything But Boring (http://anythingbutboring.com/). It may only take 2 hours to sew, but there are so many size, pocket, & flap choices it may take me three hours just to decide and then cut them!

I'm hoping they will be fun gifties for my girlfriends at our winter get-away. The largest size is supposed to be handy for a smaller knitting kit, and most of them knit or crochet. I also have a super cute apple/orange sewing kit pattern I want to try.

I won't be up much longer as tomorrow is Hay Day! I'll make the four hour round trip (+an hour or so to load it) to get our first load of summer hay. It sounds like another next week, and the final one the last week of Aug/first of Sept. It will be nice to start filling the barn with hay for the winter.

I was needing to play with fabric for a while, so I got my fix with cutting the purses. They will be ready for me to sew after the county fair, along with 67 other UFO's!

MayinJerset
July 29th, 2014, 09:03 AM
It's 7:30am Tuesday morning so I'm too late to be a Night Owl. I was up around 4am and it was so cold that I wrapped myself back up in a quilt and went back to sleep. Should have closed the windows when I was up as the house is freezing right now.

To get back the subject of last tonight's post. Something new for me this week is that on Friday I'm holding a mini Pillowcase Sew In at my house. I'm hosting this month's Grannys Luncheon (Grannys are my 3 cousins and I) and will put the gals to work a bit before feeding them. I'll set up for a workshop with snacks and beverages in the dining room, a little dish of chocolate too, and we will sew on the extended dining table. I'll have machines set up for each of them, precut fabrics for the pillowcases, threads, mat, cutter and ruler and even our handout describing the ConKerr Cancer Pillowcase Project with pillowcase sewing instructions on the back. I'll even attach my card. The gals are always saying we should do something different and this month's meeting will certainly be different.

Later I'll set up lunch like a workshop/retreat on the kitchen counter and we'll enjoy our lunch on the back deck if the weather is nice. They all know how to sew but rarely do but I'll walk them through the most simple pillowcase, will leave the Hot Dog style for another time. The sew ins my co-chair and I set up at our guild and local quilt shop are for 5 to 25 sewers who just zip through the sewing, I think my Granny cousins will be a little slower but they will have fun knowing the pillowcases they sew are going to kids in hospitals with life threatening illnesses. Too bad I can't get them to help me wash, dry and pack the pillowcases into baggies for distribution. I think I'll leave that for another Grannys Lunch at my house.