PDA

View Full Version : Monday - a new week and almost new month

Blondie
July 28th, 2014, 06:46 AM

Happy Monday - The Dog Days of August will be with us soon enough. Hope that your weekend was pleasant. Or fun. Or both. Or more!

Yesterday afternoon as I was sitting in the shade of the huge old oak, sipping on some ice tea, my mind wandered back and settled on Uncle Andy. Uncle Andy was my Granny's uncle. He lived a good, long life - outliving 3 wives (each one named Mary), two sisters, two children, a great many of his nieces, nephews - he lived to be 99 years old. What made me think of Uncle Andy you wonder? Why, the road that binds The Hill to Virginia, of course. Back in March of this year, the State closed and detoured all but local traffic. For four glorious months I could count the cars going past my house on one hand. Twice a day. I knew who each vehicle belonged to. Do you remember I have told you before that I live on the NC/Va line? I never realized just how busy a little border road like mine could be.

Long before I was even a gleam in my Daddy's eye, Uncle Andy worked the land with his Daddy. Their property crossed both state lines. There was a lovely creek that came up from a clear and sparkling spring. Great Great Granny Huff had a spring house and she would keep her butter and milk there. In the furtherest back section, she could keep some small chunks of ice for a bit of time. The back section was all rock wall and I remember how it looked, smelled and felt. Sometimes in the summer when it was sooo hot, we would try to hide in the Spring House. Granny Huff would send Uncle Andy to shoo us out of it. He never did. He just told us enough spook stories to make us not want to visit there again by ourselves.

Every year after year, Uncle Andy would shore up and sometimes rebuild the bridge over the creek. Every summer while he worked on the bridge, we kids would look for crawdads, frogs and money in the creek. We never found money but we did find other interesting items. That is for another story. We would like to stay near Uncle Andy because he was good company. Most of the other old people would find work for us to do to keep us out of their hair. Uncle Andy was bald, so he liked to tell us stories. He also would give us each a dime to run up to Oakley's store and get a bag of peanuts and a coke. Those particular summer years were special. We knew that even being so young.

The bridge over the creek was never intended to be fancy. It was mostly used as a footbridge to join the family for get togethers. We had our Virginia kin then just as we do know. They would come in from Possum Town, Cascade and from Knob, Just Knob. We had an Uncle Carvin who lived in Knob. I remember asking him one time what Knob meant. He said, Just Knob. That's all I know about that. One day I shall share with you the wondrous names some of these relations had. Lawdy! Who could ever think of such names? And then let's add "Why" to that thought as well. Of course, I am of the opinion that a lot of folks back then gave themselves a nickname if one wasn't hung on them, because their names were so, well, O D D. Like Uncle Algie. I always called him Uncle Algie but every one else called him Knee. I ask you, which would you rather be called - Algie or Knee? It does boggle the young mind.

Uncle Andy taught me how to shell black walnuts without getting too badly stained up. He taught me how to spit dip (for which I got a whooping and never dipped again - He taught me on purpose. First he wanted to have a good laugh at me because I was always the most gullible of the children on The Hill. Secondly, he wanted me to get whooped because he didn't want me to ever dip. I am glad that it was Aunt Mary who whooped me. If it had been my Daddy or Mom, I would be able to walk much less sit to this day.

They finished the bridge in the middle of June. I was hoping that people wouldn't notice that the detour signs and barricades were gone. I enjoyed walking down the middle of the road like I did when I was a child. Yesterday afternoon as I listened to the motorcyles rumbling up The Hill, and the cars doing far greater speed than 35 mph, I thought about Uncle Andy and his bridge. I wonder if the Spring House is still there? Uncle Andy's house can't be seen now for the kudzu. The only kin of his left are not really blood kin, just in law kin. No grand children, his children died before having children of their own. So the in law kin live there and their kin after them. I don't even know them any longer except for their vehicles. They never knew Uncle Andy. They think that his old house is not worth keeping up. I am glad that someone thought enough of his endeavors to keep the bridge going. Although on a busy night I wish he had built a fence instead.

I've rambled far too long on this Monday morning already. Luscious Larry is home for a few weeks. I am delighted. Now he can finish up the list I had for him previously. If I am later getting in here for the next few weeks it is because we may take advantage of sleeping in. I doubt that will happen but I like to cover my bases.

Blessings, hugs, prayers and loads of SMILES.

irishrn
July 28th, 2014, 07:22 AM
What a wonderful story! Great memories! Happy Monday to you too!!

MRoy
July 28th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Good morning Blondie! I love your story about your Uncle Andy. Family history is the best kind. We had storms here yesterday and last night. We had a tornado warning once so the grandkids and I went to the basement for a short time. DH stayed upstairs as usual. No damage, all is fine here. Yesterday, I finished binding a baby quilt that Cady designed and pieced for her new baby brother arriving in November. She's a good little seamstress.

I've been up since 3 am so I hope I can catch a nap today if DS and the grandkids go out for some fun. Have a great Monday!

Carol336
July 28th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Well - I've started this post 3 times now and my computer keeps shutting down. What I've already said - in a nut shell....

Great memories of Uncle Larry
Still packing and downsizing
Getting ready for big family vacation to the Outer Banks
Working part time (temporarily) at our church office

Have a great day everyone

Iris Girl
July 28th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Morning all! Great story Blondie I love hearing stories . Used to love listening to my Mom and Aunt reminisce about life back on the farm. Miss those days and my Mom. Work today and tomorrow then off for 5 days. Talked hubby into one of those days off so we can take a nice ride on the Harley, think we will head to PA.
Have a great day all, smiles and hugs everyone.

Madeforyouinma11
July 28th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Good morning everyone!
Blondie, I loved your story. I love the stories of family back in the day..brings back great memories. It is sad though that with time, all the stories are gone and lost forever.
Well, today I will be doing all the prep work so I don't have to worry about anything until the end of the week. I'm having 5 teeth pulled in the morning...3 of them wisdom teeth. So today I will make up a couple of meals so hubby can have something good to eat for the next couple of days. I'm also going to make myself a couple of broths with some rice in one and teeny tiny pasta stars in the other and some jello. Also going to finish up the laundry I started yesterday, vacuum and get my cleaning done for the week. I know that I will feel ok, but I'm sure I won't feel like cooking or cleaning, so if it's all done, I won't feel bad about sitting/laying around doing nothing...LOL
I will probably not be here in the morning..I can't eat or drink anything after midnight, so my plan is to get up, shower and go. I do hope to feel up to coming to check in on Wednesday.
Well, wish me luck and I hope you all have a great couple of days!

MayinJerset
July 28th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Oh Blondie, such a nice story about Uncle Andy and some special childhood times.

Big rain overnight and still looking like more rain to come, that put a damper on my plans to do a little shrub trimming this morning. 2 of the evergreens in the front foundation planting look like they are dying as the front parts have turned brown. I'll just trim them back for now and see what happens. Staying indoors this morning means I have time to catch up with paper work, bills and phone calls. Yippee, I get to do one of my favorite things, balancing the household checking account. With so many utilities treating our checks as electronic deposits, deductions and reimbursements for our health care and family members who never cash their Bday checks some months the process is a horror.

Had a nice afternoon yesterday, traveled to a Joann's south west of us where I picked up one of those strip cutting mats for half price, enjoyed the side country roads with lots of tall corn waving in the breeze and on the way home had a tasty early dinner at an Irish pub while being entertained by a trio playing some Celtic music.

Cil, Hope the days go quickly for you while you get your dental work done.

quiltingtrish
July 28th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Cil - prayers coming for a speedy recovery and not much hurting going on.
Last night I was given today off so that was nice to look forward to. Seems as the gal I am covering for (she is on maternity leave) is going in today for an all day accountant check for the business. Works for me! I have a long list of what I want to attempt to catch up on. I WILL spend some time in the quilt room today.

Great story Blondie. Love to hear them. You took me right back to times I had as a child.

May - I don't 'balance' the checkbook anymore. I just check them off as they come in and always know what hasn't yet. It is a pain. I used to balance it and would fret if I wasn't exact on the penny what the bank said I have. Life is too short to worry about a few dollars here and there. I usually just take what the bank says after I deduct what is still outstanding. It was usually always an addition or subtraction error on my part if I was off and I just figure it isn't worth the time to worry about such small things. I do try to balance it to a point, but after an hour or two of writing the monthly bills and it doesn't come out, I close the book. haha.

Well, have a great day everyone!
Hugs,

Sandy Navas
July 28th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I think it is amazing how stories of families can live on and on and the joy they give when looking back. I also feel that Blondie's stories are more vivid for her because her family was so close logistically. I have memories, but not near as complete because everyone was scattered and we really didn't see them all that much. Besides, I may have been influenced by drinking too much homemade cider.

I'm in my final cleaning mode today - not that much left to do to make the place presentable for family tomorrow. We joke and call my SIL Ruth - Martha . . . she's one of those entertaining people and always has the latest decorations in the middle of the table, a new recipe to try, a special dish to hold her homemade watermelon pickles . . . and they take what they can get here. Al did help yesterday by moving the quilting machine to the back of the room so we can get around the dining room table.

Cil, I'll be thinking of you during your ordeal tomorrow - just know that you will do fine! It will be great when you are free of the pain. To everyone else, keep on stitching. If I'm lucky I may get to sew a bit this afternoon. I just need to break myself of the habit of thinking I need to be in the same room with Al when he's relaxing . . .

ravelim
July 28th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Good morning everyone.
Cil, will pray and think of you.
May, fortunately I don't do the checkbook anymore. My husband does!

Blondie, loved your story. I have always enjoyed listening to these kind of stories.

The saga of my sewing room continues. I said the other day that we had 3days left. I was wrong. We must have another week left. My DH is so patient . I just can't work at it more than 1 1/2 hours at a time.the thing is, I do know where I want everything. (Even have thrown a bunch out) no wonder that other room looked stuffed all the time, it was.

Better get to it. Hugs to you and all.

toggpine
July 28th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Good Morning!
The rain has gone and we are back to heat.
I have managed to get all of the goats clipped that we are taking to the fair. We gave them all a bath yesterday. Emily thought that sounded like fun, until she realized it was more work than play!
Most of the equipment has a new coat of paint and I'll be packing up the other stuff we'll need to take with us. I have to see if she has any white t-shirts in her closet and make sure her white show pants still fit. Dairy animals show with white outfits. I guess they figure it's easier to bleach them. We'll have some more practice sessions to help get her familiar with how to set them up in the show ring. She's doing well for only being a week into 'serious' goat showing.

Not much going on in the sewing room at the moment.

Cil, prayers for your procedure tomorrow!
Hugs & smiles for all y'all!
Cathy

Annette Ackley
July 28th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Blondie, loved reading your story. Isn't funny the things we remember and cherish. I tell my Mom things I remember growing up. Things, she has forgotten about over the years. My best memory is going to my Grandparents house, falling asleep under the kitchen table, listening to my Grandfather play his violin, accordion, guitar, and banjo. He was very talented. It has been raining all morning on and off. And the temp. is in the 60's.

Miss Sheri
July 28th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Blondie, sweetie, forgive me, but I just have to ask,. . . what exactly is a 'spit dip'? I'm dying to know what got you into so much trouble, and I'm from a different region of the country and that term in not familiar to me.

toggpine
July 28th, 2014, 03:06 PM
"Dip" is another word for chewing tobacco.
You'd take a 'dip' into the tin of 'chaw', where my family lives in OK.

You NEVER take a sip from a cup or can that isn't absolutely yours.

alliek
July 28th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Hi Blondie, thanks for your memory story. I loved it. It reminded me about my childhood summers spent in Afton N.Y on Melondy Hill with my grandparents . Being a city child, it was wonderful to spend my summers roaming woods and roads and streams with the kids who lived "up yonder" . The house was 100 years old when my grandparents lived in it. About twenty five years ago I had the opportunity to be in the area. We rode up Melondy hill, which was now paved (it was a dirt road when I was a kid) and came upon the house, all remodeled but with the same porch. It now has indoor plumbing too! LOL. It's always a treat to relive lovely memories.

MRoy
July 28th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Where I come from "dip" refers to snuff instead of chewing tobacco. I had one big dip of snuff as a child and I don't think I've ever been as sick in my life since then. LOL! I learned that snuff wasn't my stuff.

Sandy Navas
July 28th, 2014, 03:43 PM

And she knows about those cans because . . . once she made an error . . . BTDT

Blondie
July 28th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Blondie, sweetie, forgive me, but I just have to ask,. . . what exactly is a 'spit dip'? I'm dying to know what got you into so much trouble, and I'm from a different region of the country and that term in not familiar to me.

Hi Sherri!
Where I am from dip is snuff and chew is tobacco. Back in the day the women folk would dip snuff and the men, if they didn't roll their own cigs would have a chaw in the mouth. Either way is fairly disgusting. If Aunt Mary hadn't whooped me, I wouldn't have tried it again anyway. I am like our Myrna - snuff is not for me.
Now, when you are a child and watch the big folks spitting out a brown stream with great accuracy, that's an admirable feat. Today I just think ewwwww.

Sandy Navas
July 28th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I have to share. Isn't that always the way. Blondie certainly reminds me of stories. My Dad was a chew guy. We had a small farm and Dad rented the house out. One day the tenants came to pay rent and found Dad in our barn. The barn was three stories - the main floor was Dad's shop and garage and the lower level was where the cows came in for milking. The main floor was planks with about 1/2 inch spacing between them. Our tenant had a little boy, Ronnie - and Ronnie was about 3 or 4 years old. Dad had a big chaw and did a spit perfectly between the spacing in the floor planks. He turned to Ronnie and said "Bet you can't do that." Ronnie swore he could and Dad told him if he could he'd give him a dollar bill. Ronnie even shook on it, then got down on his hands and knees and puckered up with his mouth right over the space and let go. Dad gave him a dollar bill.

Grandma Nan
July 28th, 2014, 10:41 PM
wishing you well. Dental issues can be uncomfortable. Allow yourself the time you need to feel better.
Good luck.

Grandma Nan
July 28th, 2014, 10:43 PM
I have to share. Isn't that always the way. Blondie certainly reminds me of stories. My Dad was a chew guy. We had a small farm and Dad rented the house out. One day the tenants came to pay rent and found Dad in our barn. The barn was three stories - the main floor was Dad's shop and garage and the lower level was where the cows came in for milking. The main floor was planks with about 1/2 inch spacing between them. Our tenant had a little boy, Ronnie - and Ronnie was about 3 or 4 years old. Dad had a big chaw and did a spit perfectly between the spacing in the floor planks. He turned to Ronnie and said "Bet you can't do that." Ronnie swore he could and Dad told him if he could he'd give him a dollar bill. Ronnie even shook on it, then got down on his hands and knees and puckered up with his mouth right over the space and let go. Dad gave him a dollar bill.

Cute story

toggpine
July 29th, 2014, 04:26 AM
And she knows about those cans because . . . once she made an error . . . BTDT

Nope!
Not me, but I did see my cousin toss his lunch after he grabbed the wrong can of Dr.Pepper!