PDA

View Full Version : Juicing Vegetables

brook
July 28th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Because I eat very little veggies, my friends suggest that I juice some vegetables and drink a glass of them 4 times a week. This was my first day and I was warned that it wouldn't taste very good, and they were right. The drink has spinach, broccoli, carrot and tomato in it. Is there any good recipe out there for a good tasting veggie drink?

K. McEuen
July 28th, 2014, 02:12 AM
You really should just eat the veggies for the fiber too. The juice is mostly useless.

brook
July 28th, 2014, 02:21 AM
You really should just eat the veggies for the fiber too. The juice is mostly useless.

Oh, I'm drinking the fiber from them too. I am liquifying them in a blender not a juicer. I agree that I should just eat them but I usually don't fix them, so I'm trying to see if I can come up with a way to make sure that I get the nutrients that I need to be eating.

bubba
July 28th, 2014, 02:23 AM
Crowne Royale and 7up?

mdenzine
July 28th, 2014, 02:25 AM
I do a lot of juicing and I mix fruit with my veggies. Try putting some pineapple in them. I also use a lot of berries.

stationarymom
July 28th, 2014, 02:26 AM
They are not that difficult to cook. I like to roast or steam most veg, that I cook.

toggpine
July 28th, 2014, 03:38 AM
Crowne Royale and 7up?

:icon_rofl: Oh my! I spit iced tea on my screen! :icon_rofl:

I'd much rather eat my veggies as a salad. Spinach, diced tomatoes, shaved carrots, a bit of thinly sliced red cabbage, a few slices of mushrooms, and some thin slices of sweet onion (add or subtract veggies as your taste prefers). Add a bit of balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper and done.
I'd gag if you put it in a blender and then wanted me to drink it! Even if you added Crown and 7-up to make it a cocktail like Pat suggested. Unless she meant that you drink the bottle of Crown Royal BEFORE you drank the juiced stuff. Then you probably wouldn't care what it tastes like.

I googled Veggie Juice recipes and got a boat load of links.

This one looked OK. Vegetable Juice Recipes (http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/vegetable-juice-recipes.html) What do I know. Our juicer hasn't been used since Grandpa lived with us 9 years ago.

Swedish leo
July 28th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Carrots and orange makes a good drink

and ginger is always good and I think parsnips is nice to.

But most popular is fruits of all kind.

Good luck

Texas Jean
July 28th, 2014, 04:46 AM
I like V-8 juice, you can get it low-sodium. Also, when making vegetable soup or beef stew, I replace some of the water with a large can of V-8.

TheYarnmaiden
July 28th, 2014, 04:48 AM
I've been able to work in a few veggies into the morning smoothies. We use a blender not a juicer.
I love spinach+carrot best though... trader joe's used to press this fresh juice that was magical.. but I think I was the only one drinking it. LOL

The combination you've started with may be too acidic and bitter. There's no rounded sweetness except for the tomatoes, and they're an odd flavor you can mimic with equal parts beets to carrots with a big squeeze of lemon. Carrots tend to be a lighter sweet..

This is the basic recipe that we just modify to fit (swapping the fruit+greens for what's in season. I detest parsley and banana....)
A Month?s Worth of Green Smoothies ? Only One Day of Prep! (http://www.allthingsgd.com/2013/02/a-months-worth-of-green-smoothies-only-one-day-of-prep/)
Then you can add in a little greek yogurt+honey or juice instead of water... It's worth playing around with.
These http://thechicsite.com/2014/02/03/pre-packed-smoothies/ are all fruit, but swap out 1/2 for dark leafy greens (kale, spinach, sweet potato leaves) and you're good to go.

Fill out the flavors, and you might be happier with the whole experience. Start on the sweeter side so they're more treat like and gradually swap in more and different veggies. <-got the 12yo to request kale for breakfast... if that doesn't speak volumes idk what does.

Vonnie
July 28th, 2014, 08:52 AM
If it tastes really bad you can do what I did whenever I was pregnant and had to drink prune juice to keep regular. I would get the little cans of prune juice, get it really cold in the fridge, put a straw in it and when I drank it I put the straw as far back in my mouth as I could get it and chugged it down very quickly and followed it with something that tasted good or at least not bad, like saltine crackers.

That being said, you got a lot of good advice above. And local honey is a good sweetener - it's suppose to help with local allergies.

You can get big bags of frozen fruit from the warehouse stores like Sam's Club or Costco. Also, you could freeze a ripe banana and add it to your green smoothies. Greek yogurt would add some protein.

mom4him
July 28th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Apple mixed with carrot and celery is good. Beet is very good for you but just a little bit in your juice at a time. I agree, mixing some fruit in with your veg. is best. I normally use apple and carrot as my base and go from their. Remember if it is a bit bitter non juiced it will be more so juiced.
It is good to eat as salad or steamed but there is also a place for juicing and you sound like one of those places. My youngest daughter is the same.

songbird857
July 28th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Because I eat very little veggies, my friends suggest that I juice some vegetables and drink a glass of them 4 times a week. This was my first day and I was warned that it wouldn't taste very good, and they were right. The drink has spinach, broccoli, carrot and tomato in it. Is there any good recipe out there for a good tasting veggie drink?
V-8...

:) I went through a juicing faze a few years back - realized that I prefer my fruits and veggies in their natural state and sold my juicers. Steamed veggies are so easy and taste so good - nothing fancy, I just have a pot with a steam basket - takes less than 10 minutes and the color and taste are great!

Carolyn23
July 28th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Because my husband is a vegetarian we eat a lot of salads. Sometimes the thought of chewing down on a plateful of veggies just becomes disgusting so I throw the salads in a blender and we drink them.
Be sure to use a lot of leafy greens as your base. Kale is the most densely nutritious green but does come with some bitterness. I usually use several handfuls of baby spinach ( the plastic box you can get at Costco) with a few tiny tomatoes and a carrot. I also throw in a half cucumber, a couple celery stalks, a handful of blueberries, some sea salt and maybe a touch of Tobasco sauce.
We prefer our juice to be savory and not sweet so I rarely add sweet fruit...just a few berries.
Blended juices are so good for you and because they are in the form of juice, digestion and absorption of these nutrients are much better than if you simply eat a salad.
Remember, the key is using leafy greens for most of the juice. Use a FEW other veggies but the greens are the most densely nutritious. Leafy lettuces, chard and kale are great choices but the most innocuous is baby spinach.

Rhealene
July 28th, 2014, 03:50 PM
My favorite juicing drink is to use a few carrots, a cucumber, an apple and an orange....very tasty!

Sheena
July 29th, 2014, 02:42 AM
I like V-8 juice, you can get it low-sodium. Also, when making vegetable soup or beef stew, I replace some of the water with a large can of V-8.

I love V-8 too. It's very expensive over here in England though.

nikilc
August 3rd, 2014, 09:32 PM
Juicing in a blender is gross. If you get a real juicer it will taste a lot better. I made smoothies in a blender for about a year and couldn't stand it anymore. I got a $100 Breville and never looked back. No, you don't get the fiber, but it's a lot better than nothing.

bhaggerty
August 4th, 2014, 01:12 AM
Add fresh pineapple!!!!!!