PDA

View Full Version : Hot Air Balloon Fest (pic heavy)

CraftyBarb
July 26th, 2014, 08:29 PM
We have a 3 day balloon fest in our area. This morning we went out for a balloon chase and here are some pics. The one of the deer was taken as we were coming down the street. They stopped and posed for the pic :). Though I really think they were scared and not sure of what I was going to do.

kensington
July 26th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Did you ride in a Balloon?

CraftyBarb
July 26th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Did you ride in a Balloon?

Oh heavens no. I don't ride in anything that leaves the ground :icon_bigsmile: We find a place to sit and watch which way they are going then we follow them in our car. You would not believe all the people that do this.

Hulamoon
July 26th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Very cool! I went up in one (not at a festival) I thought I was going to pee in my pants! Our group got to help inflate it and walk in side. The ride was beautiful and the landing soft. We drank champange and got a cirtificate and a cool pin. This was in the country. I would never do it around power lines. Shiver :icon_shake:

bubba
July 26th, 2014, 08:50 PM
When we lived in Southern California, we went to Del Mar one year to see the balloons. As luck would have it, they took off from the fairgrounds as we were walking up, but it was sure cool to see them raise up over the grandstand. I was amazed at how loud they were! Of course there were well over a hundred of them, but I think even one would still be pretty loud.

Hulamoon
July 26th, 2014, 08:55 PM
When your up there they turn the flames off and there is no sound. Just once in awhile to add more air to the balloon.

kensington
July 26th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Very cool! I went up in one (not at a festival) I thought I was going to pee in my pants! Our group got to help inflate it and walk in side. The ride was beautiful and the landing soft. We drank champange and got a cirtificate and a cool pin. This was in the country. I would never do it around power lines. Shiver :icon_shake:

They don't let you ride in wet panties.

pcbatiks
July 26th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Hi Barbara, love the balloon pictures....especially the one of the big eyed creature hiding behind the barn! :D You know what......that picture would make a cute quilt! :D

Doloris
July 26th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Next weekend is Hall Of Fame weekend here in Canton when they induct this year's class into the Pro Football Hall of Fame . There are festivities going on all week with parades ( that are televised on tv) and rib's burn offs, and lots of hot air balloon things. They have a "glow night" where they inflate the balloons on the ground after dark and shine lights in them so they glow. Then there is an evening launch on Friday night, and a morning launch on Saturday morning. Hundreds of balloons participate.
DH and I usually go to breakfast Sat morning and sit on the side of the restaurant where we can watch the balloons rise and fly over the restaurant.

bubba
July 26th, 2014, 09:59 PM
This just reminded me of a story. Where my friends built there house, it sits up on a hill above a freeway. Back in the day, it was bare land on the other side of the freeway and the balloons used to take off and land from there. It was so fun to watch.

I was telling a man I used to work with about them and he said one day while he was at work, there were reports of one that was flying really low in the area he lived. He called his wife at home and was telling her to go outside and look when he heard a terrible noise on the phone. She yelled and soon came back to the phone. He asked her what was wrong. The balloon had landed on his deck!!! It was the only clear spot the pilot could see and he managed to put it down there without hitting the house or the trees around it!

Sandy Navas
July 26th, 2014, 10:15 PM
I have had two things I've always wanted to do - but probably never will: Take a ride in a hot air balloon and ride a raft down the white rapids of the Colorado river . . .

I've been several places through the years and love, love, love watching the balloons.

BTW your deer are really special.

K. McEuen
July 26th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Every year, the first full week of October, Albuquerque increases in size with the influx of all the balloonists and people from around the world that come in to attend the International Balloon Fiesta. It is crazy here that week. A few years ago we had over 1000 balloons entered and it took 3 or 4 waves of them being released to get them all off the ground for the mass ascensions. They started limiting registrations the next year. 700 is about how many we have now.

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta - Welcome to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta (http://www.balloonfiesta.com/)

Annette Ackley
July 26th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Barb, your pictures are awesome!!! Last weekend we had our annual Hot Air Balloon celebration in Wellsville, NY. Didn't get to go, the weather was wet. I love the pic of the deer. It looks like they posed for you. Thank you for sharing.

Gina
July 26th, 2014, 10:57 PM
The balloons look so beautiful! The deer are lovely too. I am puzzled at why there is a spotted fawn with a buck though?

Iris Girl
July 27th, 2014, 05:19 AM
I love looking at the balloons. Your pictures are beautiful. Every week when I go shopping if I get out early enougfh there are 4 or balloons taking off and just barely above the stores at that time.

Learner quilter
July 27th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Can you imagine if someone had been on the drink and saw a green monster and monkeys in the sky, makes a change from pink elephants. :icon_beuj: