PDA

View Full Version : Here comes Friday

Blondie
July 25th, 2014, 06:19 AM

Happy Friday Folksies!

Work today - all my favorite friends will be there. Yes, I do work with many senior citizens these days. When I was a younger gal, I used to think, " I will NEVER ever EVER do weekly shampoo and sets. How boring it would be to see the same people every week. There's no interest or profit in it for me." Isn't it funny how we can change our tune as we mature?

Today is Friday, that means Ms. Delle Martin will be arriving for her weekly 'do. She called last night to ask if the blueberries were turning nicely. That's her way of saying, Please and thank you. Delle is my weekly dose of inspiration. She is the middle child and her two other sisters and she recently had their portraits made. Here is a link to an article about them: MyNews.OnTheGo (http://www.mynewsonthego.com/hpe/EPaper/?rm=kil&pageid=1eb77262-4b5f-40a9-acec-443e5ed85887&search=sisters)

What are your plans for the weekend? I know I shall be picking berries - blue and black - plus some beans. We've had a horrible crop of tomatoes this year for some reason but our squash and other veg have been sufficient.
I will most likely do some canning if there are enough beans. I hate canning and blanching. Too dang hot but then I enjoy it the rest of the year, so, I'm going in! That isn't a river you are seeing, it is my sweat! Oh, I know. Southern gals don't sweat, we get "dewy" Well, honey when I am in the kitchen, I s w e a t.

Have a wonderful weekend. I think the monkey below has the right idea of weekend fun. Perhaps I will join the monkey and just hand out fresh picked beans to everyone I meet.

SMILE!

Marty
July 25th, 2014, 06:30 AM
I don't comment often but I look forward to your daily dose of happiness. I will also be blueberry picking this weekend. Followed by baking.

Monique
July 25th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Good morning. Last day of work at this post office. I do enjoy working there. We will be packing to go to camp this weekend. I am hoping the weather will hold out. I had better hang my rosary on the clothesline so it doesn't rain. Les has to work tomorrow during the day so I may get some sewing done. I did cut the grass last night as soon as I got home. It takes me about 2 hours to do the back yard. It looks really nice this morning. And no raccoon in the trap.

Have a great day everyone.

HandsomeRyan
July 25th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Morning all.

We are just about out of blueberries on our bush but we had a good harvest this year.

This week has been crazy with out-of-town family visiting, Mrs. HandsomeRyan had a colonoscopy (everything is fine, they biopsied one polyp but the dr. didn't seem concerned.).

Little Man is awesome. Just over the last week he has grown so much! He discovered his feet and enjoys playing with them and he has also started eating rice cookies that dissolve in his mouth. Love that little guy so much!
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0351_zpslxlk29jm.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0351_zpslxlk29jm.jpg.html)

I also landed a new customer who wants to rent some space in the greenhouse I manage. After a bunch of strife at work, it was good to have something positive to tell my boss.

Yesterday, while waiting to go take Tabatha to get "scoped" I started working on a new wall hanging. (But Ryan, did you ever finish the other wall hanging you were working on? Nope.) It is going to be only two colors (green and white) and it'll be a mixture of piecing and applique. I can't decide if it is going in the sewing room or in the hallway but I like how it is coming together so far.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0346_zpszznrysqa.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0346_zpszznrysqa.jpg.html)

I hope everyone has a great day!

Bubby
July 25th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Morning Everyone,

I've had a slow week. Today will be the same other than going out for lunch with some friends at Shabby Gabby's, the local tea room and antiques shop. I'm in the mood to begin working on Christmas gifties.

Blondie, I would so love to have a quart of your blueberries. I used to pick berries on some private property but the owner sold out and there went my blueberry heaven. I freeze my berries....just dry pack them in a plastic container. Old timers used to put them in a shoebox with a rubberband around it and pop the box into the freezer. They are wonderful for muffins and topping for cheesecake.

The DD is a good one. I have it already and use it often.

Wishing everyone a great Friday....Hugs All Around.

buckeyequilter
July 25th, 2014, 09:05 AM
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/friday/hippie-dippy-friday.gif

Good morning....

I have to put my 8 hours in here and then.....READY FOR THE WEEK-END!!!

The Big Star quilt I'm working on is coming along nicely. I'm snowballing the blocks while waiting on more supplies for my quilt to arrive.

I think tonight we're going to a small bon-fine some of the locals have put together. I told DH that I don't want to stay late...so we'll probably be there into the wee hours. Then tomorrow night we are going to see the Kentucky Headhunters (I only know a couple of their songs).

I'm also going to make sure I get some quilting time in this week-end!! I think if I find some time I might get my Accuquilt out and play with it....haven't used it for quite some time. I have dies that I've never used.

Well need to get back to work.....have a wonderful day!

MRoy
July 25th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Good morning! Have "fun" canning Blondie. We canned 84 quarts of green beans in two days last week and froze 52 quart bags of sweet corn yesterday. Once started, it's "git er done" mode and we keep going till it's done or we drop! We've still got black-eyed peas to freeze later on. We have up a work area in the farm shop for canning and freezing so the house doesn't get hot and messy.

A trip to the grocery is planned today. The grandkids may stay with DH while I stock up on necessities. Have a great Friday everyone.

Madeforyouinma11
July 25th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Morning everyone! We have had some good luck with our garden.. It's our first vegetable garden so it's also a learning process. I have beans and snow peas, but not enough to can/freeze. How many plants of each do you have? 84 quarts! Wow!
Just wanted to peek in and say hello. I'm going back to bed now that hubby is gone to work. I was up for about 3 hours during the night with a horrible toothache...August 5th can't get here fast enough. It's still a little throbby now, but I just took some meds so we will see.
Hope everyone has a great day! I will still continue to smile, cause things could always be worse.

ravelim
July 25th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I canned for a lot of years. Then I found you could freeze beans and they tasted fresh. Well, of course I went for that. Canned 100 pts of corn tomatoes/sauce a year and froze green beans. I loved doing it at the time but glad I don't have to do it anymore.

We're a lot farther along on moving the sewing room than I thought we would be. Going to make a little table topper out of a panel today.think it will be fun.

Ryan, your son and wife are so adorable.. thanks for posting the pics
Monique have fun camping. Everyone else have a great weekend and sewing time.Hugs to all.

Sandy Navas
July 25th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Cloudy and overcast here today, threatening a bit of moisture. We've had both lawn mowers in for repairs and got mine back yesterday afternoon so I did manage to get 'my' half of the front yard clipped. Al's out now trying to catch up before any moisture falls. He went out this morning and released the very young possum who found his way into our trap last night. Pesky little fellow, but he's not the one who raids the bird feeders.

No canning here. I did get my sewing machine back on Tuesday and I've done a few things there. Finished a special pincushion for a friend, made Al a mug rug, a coaster is going in the mail to someone special, and I have a PICU quilt (using Dr. Seuss fabrics) almost ready for sandwiching (I have to keep Al working on the long arm). I'll probably start sashing my green blocks today. Tomorrow I'll be at my hometown annual picnic all day long. Sis and I will be manning the raffle station where we're raffling off a Christmas quilt - proceeds will go to our quilt guild and be used to purchase fabric, batting and backing that's used in our charity projects. This year we're doing patriotic quilts that are donated to the Missouri State Veteran's Home (between where I live and Hamilton, MO). Last year the guild donated 87 and a gigantic quilt that now hangs in their lobby.

I have to wrap my head around a summer menu as I am hosting the Jones Kids next Tuesday. Don't know what I'm serving. Any special ideas? None of us eat much any more. Al wants to grill hamburgers but I'm not sure I'm up to making potato salad and the fixings.

MayinJerset
July 25th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Great way to begin the day with some uplifting words from Blondie and a big sweet smile from Sawyer.

Nothing planned for this weekend, thank goodness. DH will continue to erect the gazebo on our deck. He thought he was almost finished yesterday but found he put the covering on upside down. It got too hot so he put it off until this morning and lucky for him it is very cool today. We'll wait a few days to decide just where on our deck we want to anchor the gazebo.

Saw that there will be a few garage sales in town tomorrow, haven't been to any in a long time. One sale caught my eye as they have a portable sewing machine. I don't need another machine but I'll stop by and take a look on my way to the farmer's market.

No garden here any longer so I rely on local farmers at the big market (they also have meats, dairy, baked items and a nursery) or road stands. Can't wait until the Silver Queen corn is in, I get that directly at the farmer's road stand after it's picked, oh so sweet!

Last Friday before I left for the retreat I 'cleaned' my sewing room by heaping fabrics and tools into a big laundry basket so today I'll sort everything out and put most of away. Will finish latest dolly quilt, guild meeting next Thursday night so I want to hand in as many dolly quilts as I can. We're having a Block Party at the meeting so I need to make some 12 1/2 blocks, all go to our charity group for their quilts. Big project for next week is to wash the many yards of fabric for a queen size quilt and then begin cutting the pieces.

Have a Good Weekend everyone and hope the weather cooperates.

alliek
July 25th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Overslept, but ready to start the day at last. Good weekend to all of you. God's Blessings.

kensington
July 25th, 2014, 02:23 PM
This Friday means more work for me... I am looking at my house destructed and carpet layers abound. After they leave, I will have the joy of putting all of my things back in place and doing my house work to get ready for a swim we are hosting tomorrow.

There is so much to do! Once my hubby gets here, I can go into my craft room and sew until they leave...

EmmaB
July 26th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Dropping in trying to catch up with everyone and just to say hello! I've got to get into a better routine in the mornings so I can enjoy Blondie's daily dose of sunshine and smiles! I miss it.

Sawyer is getting so big!!!! He's growing up so fast.