PDA

View Full Version : Harvesting my potatoes

Swedish leo
July 23rd, 2014, 05:52 PM
Hi

This evening Johanna and I harvest our potatoes.
We got a nice yield.

It was an experiment to see if we would get some and we sure did.

And one very big one.

Here are some pictures. Next time we will plant more potatoes and in intervalls so we can have lots of potatoes.

It is fun to garden things that you can eat.

And we finished the evening with some nice barbequed porkchops and potatoewedges in the oven with a nice cold garlic sauce. It was so good.

Have a nice day/evening.

Gina
July 23rd, 2014, 06:05 PM
Congratulations on your harvest!

bubba
July 23rd, 2014, 06:13 PM
A fun way to grow potatoes is to use old tires. You plant the first one in a tire set on the ground and filled with dirt. Once it grows and you see leaves, add another tire and dirt and continue until it is four or five tires tall, only adding tires and dirt once you see leaves. When it is time to harvest you simply knock it over and pick up the potatoes. No digging needed!

Sandy Navas
July 23rd, 2014, 07:06 PM
I think I'd best go out and dig up that humongous potato that is growing in my compost bin . . .

mom4him
July 23rd, 2014, 07:35 PM
They look great! My mom used to plan potatoes. I remember picking bugs. LOL What a yummy meal!

Sylvia H
July 24th, 2014, 12:41 AM
Oh yum! Fresh from your own garden is always the best.

goofyizzy
July 24th, 2014, 03:26 AM
That is great! Enjoy your crops.

lourixe
July 24th, 2014, 07:34 AM
They look great! My mom used to plan potatoes. I remember picking bugs. LOL What a yummy meal!

LOL When I read your post, the first thing I could think was, how did you cook the bugs so that they were yummy, did you bake them? :D

I tried planting potatoes a couple of times. The problem is, my garden is surrounded by a meadow which is full of wildlife. This includes probably hundreds of mice. I can't get a decent crop: birds or rodents eat everything before I can ever get a chance.

My last disappointment came with the peas. I haven't been able to harvest any! As soon as the pods start swelling, when I go pick them they are open and empty. Who can be the culprit? My consolation is, I must have the most wildlife-friendly garden in the world.

82804 82805

New York Sue
July 24th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I really need to give potatoes a try, next year...
Great harvest!

Liberty
July 24th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Great harvest! I should plant potatoes one of these years...