listenin' to the birds singin' a tune
mother nature's sure in full bloom
got nothin' else i'd rather do
than sit here in the shade with you
takin' a break
rollin' out slow
just me, you and
my cup a joe
~ poem "Mornin' Sunshine" by Michael Traveler, author of POSTCARDS FROM THE BACKROADS

It's Wednesday folksies! A friend of mine sent me this sweet little poem and I couldn't resist sharing it with y'all. I spent yesterday for the most part with DD. She is starting a new job today and wanted some Mommyheart time all to herself. We did nothing but sit, sip coffee, eat some blueberry muffins and smile. She will start getting her pre-regs out of the way for nursing school. Classes start for her in a few weeks. She had been working at a skilled nursing facility as a CNA which she loved. However, they wouldn't work with her class schedule, so she said sad good byes. She will now be a Visiting Home Angel. I've been hoping she would go this particular avenue for quite a while. CNA'ing is one physically demanding job. I know I couldn't do it and God bless those men and women who do so with much care as my Sarah has done.

Today I will be just chilling; work tomorrow and I've laundry to do and groceries to purchase.

Enjoy your day - blessings to all, it is good to get back to normal. Hugs and smiles for each one here.

Monique
July 23rd, 2014, 07:42 AM
Good morning Blondie. It is sure nice to have you back.

I think we are in for another hot day today. Work & quilting today. I can't wait to get this quilt finished. I did try to do some applique yesterday. Hmmm, need practice just cutting the pieces out. Jeez louise.

Have a grand day friends.

Bubby
July 23rd, 2014, 08:08 AM
Morning Everyone,

Dottie let us sleep until the alarm went off at 5...Good Girl! I think this is a first for her.

I don't have much on my agenda for today. I need to straighten the sewing room and decide what to sew next. Maybe another UFO would be a good idea.

I'm off to sit on the porch with Jeff before he leaves for work. Have a great day, everyone!

Madeforyouinma11
July 23rd, 2014, 08:14 AM
Good morning!
Blondie, I hope you enjoy your day before returning to work tomorrow. Good luck to Sarah with school and her new job.
Yesterday was a blast...Julia had so much fun at the beach. We played in the sand, in the water and on the swings. She only tried to eat the sand 3 times, and didn't like,e it very much...LOL I was very happy that I had my meatballs and sauce in the crockpot all day, cause I was definitely too tired to cook anything but the pasta that I needed to go with them.
Today will be a little laundry and some light cleaning and a hair appointment this afternoon. Hoping to feel good enough after all that to do some sewing. Dinner is all set since there are still enough meatballs for meatball subs for dinner...yay!
Hoping everyone has a great day filled with smiles and sunshine!
Here are a couple of pics from yesterday at the beach

MayinJerset
July 23rd, 2014, 08:24 AM
Good morning from cool NJ. Might not be on here too long as Verizon is expected anywhere from 8am - 12pm to install our new hook ups for phone, computer and TV. Comcast just got too expensive and when DH called to ask for a better (cheaper) deal they cheerfully told him that they would be upgrading our systems with a new box and a free DVD recorder and we'd be paying an even higher fee. Friends switched over to Verizon's FIO and are happy with it so we're game.

Still need to put away stuff away from weekend retreat trip. I'll leave DH to deal with installers while I put retreat stuff away and also sort all the fabrics, projects and supplies I piled into a big laundry basket last week. Sewing space isn't too large and I get claustrophobic when I have piles of stuff surrounding me while I sew.

Good Luck to Sarah with her classes. 2 of my DGDs are nurses and another will graduate from college in June with her RN.

Julia sure looks like she enjoyed the beach day with Grandma.

Time to get going so have a Good Day.

Genny
July 23rd, 2014, 09:22 AM
Morning everyone...My day will be filled with sunshine and lots of fun...I'm taking care of my great granddaughter. Shes staying over tonight and part of tomorrow.
Hope you all have a great day!

MRoy
July 23rd, 2014, 09:43 AM
Good morning! It's going to be another hot day here, maybe with rain. If it doesn't rain, I'll cut the grass. The grandkids have movies to occupy themselves with while I mow. Cady (age 10) has been sewing on a baby quilt for her new baby brother who arrives in November. She needs to add two borders and it will be ready to sandwich and quilt. She's done it all by herself so far.

Good luck to Sarah with the new job and with her nursing classes.

ravelim
July 23rd, 2014, 09:45 AM
Julia definitely looks like she had fun.I miss having a baby grandchild around. We were lucky enough to have our DD and her little one around when she was little.

Yesterday, we got so much done in my new sewing room. Great day. Cleaned out a cabinet that I thought would take days to do. DH helped by lifting things for me and saying "yes,I think you should throw that". Lol almost finished a table topper BUT ran out of thread!
We are going to try putting some things from the old room into the new today.

DD is at state music convention this week so we are dog sitting. I love her dog. She's so easy to take care of. We get a kick out of her when she wants to play ball. She grabs the tennis ball walks over to us and kind of spits throw the ball at us. Then she smiles really big. Animals really change your perspective on life.

Blondie,glad you had such a nice time. Monique are you still quilting at work? Did they find who broke in?

Our weather is cooling off,they say. Not as humid. -Our GD is visiting in Florida, and I asked her if it was humid there. She said no but it sure was muggy. We just smiled.

Going to go to Kmart today and get the nail polish I've been going to get for 3 weeks. Ha ha.

Cleaning out that cupboard, I found a pic of my dear aunt. I started to cry, not pretty cries but ugly sobbing cries,, she passed in 2004. I just missed her so much. Grief is so funny. It hits you at the oddest times.

DH is walking the dogs now. They all enjoy that time. At least until one goes one way and the other goes the other way. Teehee.

Well, better get a moving. Have a great day everyone. Hugs to everyone. And SMILE.

Sandy Navas
July 23rd, 2014, 10:22 AM
I LOVE Blondie's picture this morning - looks so cool and inviting. It's a shame though - because my back deck looks so cool and inviting and it's truly 'muggy' here with a heat index of 113 yesterday and predicted just as bad today. Anyone need a fried egg?

Thinking I need to spend some organizing time in the workshop this morning getting books and magazines together and trying to put manuals with equipment (that probably makes no sense to anyone but me, but by putting it in B&W it will reinforce it in my mind and help keep me on track.)

Picked up my sewing machine from repairs yesterday. There was a tracking belt, about 20 inches long, that I snapped when I damaged it. At least 'she' is now purring right along and got a good dusting and cleaning. I'm hoping I can get downstairs and get some sewing done today, too.

I mentioned yesterday that we were going to have lunch at a bar-b-que 'shack' in Kansas City . . . because it had been on the Food Network with Guy Fieri . . . and I have to share that the ambiance and service were absolutely fantastic. The food, in my estimation, was pretty bland and not anything special . . . they either spiced it up for Guy or his tastebuds have been burned off . . . or maybe I'm just too picky when it comes to great bar-b-que . . .

Feeling pain for everyone suffering . . . sending prayers, hugs, warm wishes, and some ideas for better bar-b-que. May you have a wonderful day and look at Julia's picture again. That will definitely make you SMILE.

Claire Hallman
July 23rd, 2014, 10:41 AM
Guy is from California and his taste in BBQ might be totally different than what your region makes. BBQ differs so much from one region to another. Pulled smoked pork with a tomato based sweetish sauce is king here but in Texas BBQ is beef, how about Missouri?

Claire Hallman
July 23rd, 2014, 10:41 AM
Guy is from California and his taste in BBQ might be totally different than what your region makes. BBQ differs so much from one region to another. Pulled smoked pork with a tomato based sweetish sauce is king here but in Texas BBQ is beef, how about Missouri?:D

JCY
July 23rd, 2014, 10:56 AM
Good Morning, All ~

Hot seems to be the common theme across much of the country. Phoenix had 113 yest. We had 98, with low 100's the 3 days prior. We might see some 80's next week. It's too hot to bake bread, but that's what I'm doing this a.m. DH requires spelt bread, which I bake as needed. Yest. a.m. I made his chicken soup from scratch. I made a big batch, which ended up being 12 qts. He has a lot of food allergies & has to eat very basic & plain with no additives or spices. With all the recent cooking, I haven't had much time to sew this week. Maybe this afternoon.

I hope everyone can stay cool. JCY

Dollyquilts
July 23rd, 2014, 11:08 AM
Blondie, nurses are very special people. Good luck to your DD as she starts her classes soon.

I live .5 miles from my DD and usually have dinner there every night. One of our chicks is away from the nest for three weeks and we are sure ready for her return. Three weeks away is a long time for a 12-year-old. I think DGD is counting the days as well. She is passionate about ballet and is taking a summer intensive workshop at the Rock School in Philadelphia. We had a little Face Time on the phone last night. Her 16-year-old sister is even missing her and wants to bake some cookies to send.

Sandy Navas
July 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
Guy is from California and his taste in BBQ might be totally different than what your region makes. BBQ differs so much from one region to another. Pulled smoked pork with a tomato based sweetish sauce is king here but in Texas BBQ is beef, how about Missouri?:D

Claire, Kansas City 'claims; the BEST bar-b-que ever . . . hmmmm. I've lived all over and love my pork ribs. This pork was basically tasteless . . . I can throw a pork butt in the oven and slow cook it and let it fall off the bone and eat half of it before getting sauce on it and making it to the table - but I season it well (salt and pepper). This pork was supposedly cooked 12 hours and was quite tender but tasteless. The sauce was watery and very sugary. I guess I prefer a thicker, more molasses based sauce with some twang (acidic additive) to it. Even their 'spicy' sauce barely had a bite. The place was packed so I guess I'm the off one here . . . and I have trained Al to love what I cook and even he was disappointed.

I think, even though Guy makes all these trips and goes behind the scenes to see how they do it in a specific place, that once he gets there he's doing a show and if the food doesn't meet with his expectations and satisfy his taste buds, he's doing a show and he certainly isn't going to spit it out and say something isn't good. It costs too much to do on-location shots. I did notice, on the DDD show that he questions no seasoning on the pork butt . . .

pcbatiks
July 23rd, 2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks Sandy.........it's your fault that I'm hungry for BBQ ribs now! Love the ribs.........I had an uncle that was King of BBQ ribs! They were awesome.........they were "slap your grandma" awesome! Well.......now the BBQ craving is worse!

Cil.........as usual the pictures of Julia are too cute! Glad you had a great day with her!

Hope everyone has a good day.........and be careful in that heat. :icon_wave:

toggpine
July 23rd, 2014, 02:53 PM
BBQ is so different for each location! Here it could mean everything from full-on smoked meat to tossing some chicken on the grill.
The best thing I ever bought my husband was the smoker. We have also figured out that if you are going to run it, you might as well fill 'er up! I have some smoked chicken, turkey, brisket, or ribs in the freezer at all times. I use the FoodSaver to seal them, freeze, then just re-heat by simmering in the stock pot, cut open the pouch and dinner is ready.

I would never consider cooking meat without some seasoning. It doesn't have to be salt & pepper even. I have spiked roasts with peeled, whole wedges of garlic and rubbed in Mrs.Dash when Gram came. (She can't have salt.) Everybody enjoyed it.

It's raining here today. YEA! I am sure I can hear the plants slurping it up out there. It puts a bit of a crimp in the plans for getting the animals ready for the fair, but it's supposed to dry off and warm back up tomorrow. So I can get back to clipping then. Today I may sneak into the sewing room while I wait for the pumpkin to defrost. Then I can make a few batches of pumpkin muffins for breakfasts for the rest of the week. Ugh, I'll also need to decide what's for supper. Why is the deciding the hardest part?

I had best get on with it!
Hugs! Cathy

shermur
July 23rd, 2014, 07:10 PM
Kansas City 'claims; the BEST bar-b-que ever . . . hmmmm. I've lived all over and love my pork ribs. This pork was basically tasteless . . . I can throw a pork butt in the oven and slow cook it and let it fall off the bone and eat half of it before getting sauce on it and making it to the table - but I season it well (salt and pepper). This pork was supposedly cooked 12 hours and was quite tender but tasteless. The sauce was watery and very sugary. I guess I prefer a thicker, more molasses based sauce with some twang (acidic additive) to it. Even their 'spicy' sauce barely had a bite. The place was packed so I guess I'm the off one here . . . and I have trained Al to love what I cook and even he was disappointed.

You are so right, Sandy!!!! Kansas City does rule when it comes to BBQ! Now, I have had to "eat" my words here in Arkansas....we actually found a little hole in the wall restaurant (aren't they the best) that serves pretty good smoked meat with 8 different types of BBQ sauces....it's very good. But I have yet to find what competes with my all time favorite.....Bates city BBQ in Bates City, Missouri!!!
By the way....I have a job interview tomorrow...please everyone, cross your fingers I get this opportunity!!!!!

alliek
July 23rd, 2014, 09:21 PM
Your Julia is such a joy ! What a sweetie. Sounds like a great day. She always makes me smile in my face and heart. Gods Blessings.

Sandy Navas
July 23rd, 2014, 10:12 PM
Kansas City 'claims; the BEST bar-b-que ever . . . hmmmm. I've lived all over and love my pork ribs. This pork was basically tasteless . . . I can throw a pork butt in the oven and slow cook it and let it fall off the bone and eat half of it before getting sauce on it and making it to the table - but I season it well (salt and pepper). This pork was supposedly cooked 12 hours and was quite tender but tasteless. The sauce was watery and very sugary. I guess I prefer a thicker, more molasses based sauce with some twang (acidic additive) to it. Even their 'spicy' sauce barely had a bite. The place was packed so I guess I'm the off one here . . . and I have trained Al to love what I cook and even he was disappointed.

You are so right, Sandy!!!! Kansas City does rule when it comes to BBQ! Now, I have had to "eat" my words here in Arkansas....we actually found a little hole in the wall restaurant (aren't they the best) that serves pretty good smoked meat with 8 different types of BBQ sauces....it's very good. But I have yet to find what competes with my all time favorite.....Bates city BBQ in Bates City, Missouri!!!
By the way....I have a job interview tomorrow...please everyone, cross your fingers I get this opportunity!!!!!

I HAVE MY FINGERS CROSSED, MY TOES CROSSED, ALL THE HAIRS ON MY HEAD WOUND UP TIGHT, AND I'M SAYING PRAYERS - IF THIS IS TO BE THE BEST FOR YOU - YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!!