PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to go nuts...real soon....

easyquilts
July 20th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Guys.... Most if you know that it took a while for me to get a new hearing aid, after Spencer, a large Chihuahua, ate my old one.... And that while I was waiting to see the doc, and his audiologist, I developed something called Musical Ear Syndrome..... I began hearing music 24/7.... Not a memory, but a real sound. It was mostly favorite old hymns, some patriotic music, Christmas music, and novelty music.....mostly old ones, such as Dinah Blow your Horn.
The "sound" comes from the part of the brain that listens to music.... I could change songs, add voices, put in my one harmonies.... I have done harmonies "by ear" with a small group for years...

Well... Upon receiving my new hearing aid....which I really like.....my MES went almost completely away... I was so happy....... Sometimes you just want silence...you know?

I am sorry to report that my MES is back in full force... It now adds music I hear at mass, or on the radio. Sometimes there are loops of music.... Oh... I sometimes here instruments, top.

It was sort of funny at first....but is now driving me to distraction.... Just imagine hearing music all the time. 24/7.
My audiologist has had MES since she can remember, and it doesn't seem to bother her.

I, on the other hand, want to scream STOP, ALREADY! The only relief I can get is to have the TV or radio on, and even then, I can here it in the background....

I can't tell you how relieved I was, when I thought IT had gone away..... I had been so afraid the condition would be permanent.... Now I don't know what to expect.

There are no affective treatments for MES. You just have to hope it will go away on its own.

I wonder if they will let me quilt on the psych floor....

Kgrammiecaz
July 20th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Oh my gosh. It was good to know it went away when you got your new aids. But to have it back ugh. I have noisy ears but its not all the time. I am hoping hearing aids will help. I dont know anything about what you have but what if adjustments are made to your hearing aids. Do you think that would do anything.

I am sending prayers your way.

Terry L
July 20th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Eight Steps to Work Through When Helping People with Musical Ear Syndrome
Now comes the important part—what can you do about your Musical Ear Syndrome? Very briefly, here are a number of things you can do to help yourself manage your auditory hallucinations so they have less of an impact on your life.

1. Seek Competent Medical Attention to Rule Out Brain Disorders & Other Medical Conditions. There is a very small chance that you may have a brain tumor or other brain abnormality that is causing your Musical Ear Syndrome. It is good to be checked out by a neurologist to be sure there are no physical brain problems. You may decide to have MRIs, CT scans or EEGs. Knowing there is nothing physically wrong "upstairs" will give you a large sense of relief.

2. Learn About Musical Ear Syndrome. Learning all you can about what you are dealing with takes much of the anxiety away. Thus, you are better able to cope with your MES. Furthermore, once you know what MES is, you often will feel an enormous sense of relief. With that sense of relief, often a surprising thing happens. Your Musical Ear Syndrome goes away on its own, or tends to fade more into the background. Many times this is all it takes.

3. Convince Your Brain of the Falseness of Your Musical Ear Syndrome Sounds. When you know your brain is playing tricks on you, do whatever it takes to convince your brain—and you can put an end to some of these phantom sounds.

Remember the man that heard music at night—he put the pillow over his ears. If the sound volume dropped, he knew it was real music. If it stayed at the same volume, he knew it was all in his head.

4. Reduce Your Anxiety Level. Very often, just learning about Musical Ear Syndrome is enough to reduce your anxiety over the strange sounds you are hearing. That is why it is so important to have good information available like this article. If you are anxious about other things, get your anxiety under control and your MES may also fade away. The same is true for depression.

5. Rule Out Drugs. If your MES began soon after you began taking a new drug or after you changed the dose on an existing drug, that may be the cause. Changing to a different drug or reducing the dose to its original level may let your MES fade away.

6. Enrich Your Environment with Real Sounds. Musical Ear Syndrome thrives when your brain doesn’t get adequate auditory stimulation. This often happens if you have a hearing loss and consequently don’t hear the common everyday environmental sounds that keep your auditory neurons happy.

Since hearing loss and aging often go hand in hand, this is why MES is so common among elderly, hard of hearing people. In addition, often elderly people live in quiet environments, and may live alone after the death of a spouse, thus exacerbating the lack of auditory stimulation.

Therefore, if you have Musical Ear Syndrome, surround yourself with real sounds. Give your brain real sounds to listen to all the time. If you are hard of hearing, wear your hearing aids so you can hear something—then your brain can focus on those real sounds and quit producing its own phantom sounds.

7. Become Socially Active. Because of their hearing losses, hard of hearing people tend to withdraw from social situations and thus do not have much social interaction. This just further compounds their world of silence.

Becoming socially active does a number of things. First, it goes a long ways towards keeping your mind from focusing on your phantom music. Second, your brain now has scintillating conversations to focus on. Third, increased socialization helps lift the depression and sense of isolation you may be feeling that so often makes your Musical Ear Syndrome worse.

8. Discover What Works for You. Note anything you do that makes your phantom music fade away, or at least not be so noticeable and intrusive. One man told how, when his MES made it hard to go to sleep, he practiced breathing deeply and rhythmically and focused his mind on the sound of his breathing as he lay in bed. He explained that for him, "With a bit of practice my brain seems to place less emphasis on the music which becomes more in the background and it becomes easier for me to fall asleep."

My husband also suffers from MES

Sandy Navas
July 20th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Sandy, I cannot imagine. I think the buzzing and ringing I often hear is driving me nuts. I think when I'm trying to go to sleep and can hear people talking (not as bad since we removed a land line from the bedroom) . . . I just can't imagine.

I sure hope you were able to get an appointment with your audiologist soon . . .

Vonnie
July 20th, 2014, 09:09 PM
So sorry you are going thorough this Sandy. I had never heard of this before. But, I can truly sympathize since I have ringing in my ears. It gets really loud after taking pain meds like Ibuprofen.

I sleep with either a fan on or a sound machine. sometimes both.

easyquilts
July 20th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Terry.... Thank you got your wonderful post..... I've been reading everything I can find on the subject..I read the article you mentioned. There really doesn't seem to be all that much literature on the subject.....

I have to remind myself to create noise..... It really does help.....especially if I listen to whatever for a long time,
I recently cancelled my cable.....I have Roku and a WII operated Netflix.... Plenty of opportunities to have real sounds in my life, but I can't just hit a button and have instant TV.... It's just iff ferment, but I will get used to it, and use those sources of sound more and more.

I downloaded I Heart Radio to my iPad, and my iPhone.... Thanks to your reminder, I just turned it on... I caught myself sitting in the silence reading..... With music in my ear. Thank you for the reminder.... I know I need to fill my world with real sound, if I ever hope to reduce, or eliminate my MES.

Stress and anxiety are definitely part of my life.... You already know I lost my husband of 46 years January 8, and that produces a lot of stress and anxiety..... Also, my house payment just went up significantly.....at the same time, I needed to spend a bundle on a new hearing aid.... The stress of having to manage everything by myself gets to me.

I am finally trying to get out with people more....I know my MES is reduced when I am with others, and involved in conversations. It's difficult sometimes, but I have friends who encourage me to once again become active... I go to a women's Bible, my quilt group, and I occasionally have lunch with friends..... We always go to lunch after Bible Study.

And, I'm becoming more active in my parish .... I know it doesn't sound like I 'm doing much, but it 's a start...

How does your husband feel about his MES?... Has he had it long? Does he feel that it greatly interferes with his life? Does it get to him? The only other person I know who has it is my audiologist, who is in her late thirties, or early forties, and she doesn't seem to mind...

I want to save your post...if I can.... To read again later... Thank you for taking the time to write such a helpful post.

K. McEuen
July 20th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Hmm, that could be dangerous if I ever got it and my ears played songs I know ... I'd walk around singing all the time.

Angelia
July 20th, 2014, 10:06 PM
I get this when I have a fever--usually sounds like a marching band outside my window. I also sometimes hear music and people talking when I'm near a large air conditioner or fan--sounds in the white noise. I've always been too embarrassed to mention it to anyone--thought it was just me. I hope you get relief from it soon. I'll be thinking of you.

BellasQuilts
July 20th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Sandy, sending you a hug. DH has tinitis and we have slept with the TV on at night every night for years. Helps him go to sleep. Keeps me awake, but I don't mind. I am sure you will find something that works for you to reduce it, at least.

JCY
July 20th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Sandy, what a dilemma. I can't imagine. I feel bad for you. I have some degree of tinnitus, but most of the time I'm able to tune it out. I think taking Acetaminophen exacerbates it. I hope things get better for you. Wishing you well. (((Hugs))) JCY

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 21st, 2014, 12:12 AM
Terry.... Thank you got your wonderful post..... I've been reading everything I can find on the subject..I read the article you mentioned. There really doesn't seem to be all that much literature on the subject.....

I have to remind myself to create noise..... It really does help.....especially if I listen to whatever for a long time,
I recently cancelled my cable.....I have Roku and a WII operated Netflix.... Plenty of opportunities to have real sounds in my life, but I can't just hit a button and have instant TV.... It's just iff ferment, but I will get used to it, and use those sources of sound more and more.

I downloaded I Heart Radio to my iPad, and my iPhone.... Thanks to your reminder, I just turned it on... I caught myself sitting in the silence reading..... With music in my ear. Thank you for the reminder.... I know I need to fill my world with real sound, if I ever hope to reduce, or eliminate my MES.

Stress and anxiety are definitely part of my life.... You already know I lost my husband of 46 years January 8, and that produces a lot of stress and anxiety..... Also, my house payment just went up significantly.....at the same time, I needed to spend a bundle on a new hearing aid.... The stress of having to manage everything by myself gets to me.

I am finally trying to get out with people more....I know my MES is reduced when I am with others, and involved in conversations. It's difficult sometimes, but I have friends who encourage me to once again become active... I go to a women's Bible, my quilt group, and I occasionally have lunch with friends..... We always go to lunch after Bible Study.

And, I'm becoming more active in my parish .... I know it doesn't sound like I 'm doing much, but it 's a start...

How does your husband feel about his MES?... Has he had it long? Does he feel that it greatly interferes with his life? Does it get to him? The only other person I know who has it is my audiologist, who is in her late thirties, or early forties, and she doesn't seem to mind...

I want to save your post...if I can.... To read again later... Thank you for taking the time to write such a helpful post.

Honestly, for someone who lost her husband so recently, I think that's more than a start. That's a lot. I know your friends & family probably want you to "move on", "get out more", "don't spend so much time alone" -- but you know better what *you* need. I think it's OK to take your time over establishing new routines; and to get some rest. Grief is exhausting.

The music in your brain sounds infuriating. I hope it resolves with time.

Terri
July 21st, 2014, 05:20 AM
Sandy, I have never heard of MES until now. I really feel for you, hope you find some relief. I have had constant ringing in both ears since I was a teenager, I will be 53 next month. I ALWAYS have to have some kind of noise going on, so I can at least lessen the ringing. It has NEVER gone away, even for a few minutes. My ENT had is audiology dept check my hearing, I have some hearing loss in the high pitch range. But no solution for the ringing.

DH has documented hearing loss from where he works. He has worked at Kimberly Clark (Huggies, Kleenex, Viva etc) for 32 yrs now, and even though they wear ear plugs, it's still noisy with all of those big paper machines. The have mandatory hearing tests at the company every year. I can imagine in a few years, with both of us having some hearing loss, it's only going to get worse and we will be yelling at one another just to have a normal conversation. :icon_rolleyes:

Preeti
July 21st, 2014, 06:16 AM
Sandy, I had no idea about MES. I am sending prayers and hugs to you. If I ever visit Cincinnati, I would love to come see you. And if you are ever in the DC/Northern Virginia area, send me a PM so that we can meet and talk.
I would recommend meditation for stress/anxiety etc. Take a look at freemeditation.com when you have a few minutes.

easyquilts
July 21st, 2014, 06:42 AM
Claire... Thank you so much..... Everything in my life has changed.....everything.....so I am working in making sense out of my new life., now that reality has hit me in the face..... when people ask me how I am, I usually lie, and mumble something about being OK. I'm afraid that after six months, people really don't want to hear the truth..... So, I come here, where I know I'm safe.

Honestly, the MES is a real source of anxiety, that I could do without right now.... It's so annoying....and distracting. I really do thunk it will drive me nuts.....

Today is the first day of VBS.... we expect neatly a thousand kids, plus workers, so the kitchen staff will be busy.... But, we always have a good time. Comfy shoes and clothes are the order if the day...

Thank you again, for your encouraging words.....

easyquilts
July 21st, 2014, 06:49 AM
Oh.... The ringing must be awful..... I'm so sorry you have to cope with it..... Yeah, noise does help, but sometimes you just want to sit in the silence..... I remember how wonderful that was when the MES stopped for a shirt time. I love to sit on my bavk covered patio, and listen to the birds while I have my coffee, or read.... Not possible now..... It's the same for you, I 'm sure.

Too bad your husband works in such a noisy place..... And that his hearing is already damaged,,, it can only get worse.

I'll be thinking of you both....

easyquilts
July 21st, 2014, 06:51 AM
Sandy, I had no idea about MES. I am sending prayers and hugs to you. If I ever visit Cincinnati, I would love to come see you. And if you are ever in the DC/Northern Virginia area, send me a PM so that we can meet and talk.
I would recommend meditation for stress/anxiety etc. Take a look at freemeditation.com when you have a few minutes.

It would be fun to meet, wouldn't't it? I love Virginia....Lived in Charlottesville twice, as a child. It's a beautiful state...

Thanks for your response.

Almost forgot.... I am working on getting my spiritual house in order this summer, so I signed up for a Holy Hour in my parish.......I love it.....I usually take my journal, and write....a form of prayer that works for me. The quiet is wonderful, except for my the MES.... Except for going to mass on Sunday, my HH is my favorite hour if the week... I try to do the same at home..... MES makes it very hard to meditate.... Writing, or reading helps me focus, though.

klgls
July 21st, 2014, 05:31 PM
I love music - but "having" to listen to it all the time would be very distracting. I have tinnitus all the time - but have learned to deal with you. Hope yours gets better!