PDA

View Full Version : Shrinkage?

GINYquilter
July 15th, 2011, 11:01 AM
How much shrinkage is acceptable in a wide backing, or really any quilt fabric. I recently had a wide back shrink 10 inches in width which caused all kinds of problems. The longarm quilter had to get the backing back to me so I could add fabric to the width. I measured other backings in my stash and none seemed to have shrunk this much. Is this just a problem for fabric from South Seas Imports?

K. McEuen
July 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I don't think I've ever had a backing or any fabric shrink that much, South Seas Imports, was that a batik? I think sometimes they shrink more than other fabrics.

Dragonfly
July 15th, 2011, 11:41 AM
My recollection is that South Seas Imports are a cheaper brand of fabric so possibly a lower thread count which will shrink more just as flannel does. Mind you, like Karen, I don't think I've ever had something shrink that much. Look on the bright side it happened before it was firmly quilted to your top.

Bubby
July 15th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I have never had any fabric shrink that much. It may just be that particular brand. It's unfortunate, but at least it didn't ruin your quilt and that's something to be grateful for. If the fabrics in my quilt top have been pre-washed, then I also pre-wash the backing. If the fabric in the top has not been washed (and it shouldn't have to be if you are using quality fabric) then I don't wash the backing. That's my rule of thumb. I would think twice before using South Seas fabric again. Every quilt is a learning experience. Barb

GINYquilter
July 17th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Well, I bought this fabric at my local quilt shop. It was not cheap by any means. It was also not a batik. I prewashed as I always do after a very scary experience with a red moda. But as Bubby says, it was a learning experience. Just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem and also to warn others about this particular company.

Txgrandma
July 18th, 2011, 03:09 AM
The only fabric I have had shrink quite a bit is the Homespun fabrics, they are more loosely woven. I have made several rag quilts for a friend of mine and that was her fabric of choice. I get them at Joanns and was told they shrink more than most. The first rag I made shrunk more than expected but was easy to fix, just cut more squares and sewed on a couple more rows. Would not recommend the homespun for pieced quilts.