PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Gift Advise

KnitWitRosie
July 18th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Hubby's birthday is on Monday and I'm throwing a little cookout with all his friends tomorrow. I'm totally spoiling him this year with gifts :D. I got him tickets to see KISS and Def Leppard next month when they're in town, the Friday the 13th Blu Ray boxed set he's been drooling over for months, and a NICE bottle of Scotch.

He already knows about the concert tickets (was trying to buy them himself but had to stop him because I had already gotten them) and he got the DVDs last night because he opened the package by accident (came via UPS from Best Buy with his name on it and he beat me home from work). I'm planning on giving him the Scotch tomorrow (which is the one gift he doesn't know about).

Should I give it to him AT the cookout or before? I'm afraid that if he opens it at the cookout, he's going to feel obligated to share with his other Scotch-drinking friends and then before you know it... The bottle is gone and he didn't get a chance to enjoy it. On the other hand, he's probably like to show it off to his friends kinda like a "lookie what I got" kinda thing.

If I gave it to him before the cookout, maybe he could then decide what he wants to do without the pressure from his friends.

What would you do?

Vonnie
July 18th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Give it to him before the cookout and let him decide.

klgls
July 18th, 2014, 01:30 PM

I agree with Vonnie.

Angelia
July 18th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Give it to him afterwards--he won't feel obliged to share (except with you!).

Gina
July 18th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I would give it to him before and let him decide!

Preeti
July 18th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Take a picture at the time when you give it to him. He can show off via Facebook and still keep it to himself :-D
Let's hope other DHs don't start expecting the same treatment on their birthdays:icon_evil:

KnitWitRosie
July 18th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Take a picture at the time when you give it to him. He can show off via Facebook and still keep it to himself :-D
Let's hope other DHs don't start expecting the same treatment on their birthdays:icon_evil:

Lol. Hubby NEVER buys himself anything, so I tend to go a little overboard with his birthday, our anniversary, and Christmas. :D

It's really funny.... one of his scotch-drinkin friends is the one who helped me pick out which one to get him. I called him yesterday from the liquor store and gave him the options. Apparently the one I ultimately ended up buying him for $85 was originally a $145 bottle. Don't know if it was mis-marked or if there was a sale or something, but according to his friend... I totally "scored" on that one.

I did get him a bottle of Jameson (which he loves) that if he feels the urge to share, he can share that one. I'm totally not going to be game for him sharing the expensive stuff. Lol.

bubba
July 18th, 2014, 05:32 PM
When I gave MM a very expensive bottle of sipping tequila, it was at the part itself and although he offered it around, I think only two people tried it and had only one shot each. The rest was left for him.

Sandy Navas
July 18th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Ahhhmmmmm, I'd suggest you hold onto it and give it to him right before bedtime . . . my experience tells me that gentlemen who drink Scotch can get a wee bit frisky . . .

Terry L
July 18th, 2014, 06:36 PM
I agree with Vonnie let him decide