PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated New Customer

Quilting gardner
July 17th, 2014, 11:56 AM
While I regularly purchase items online, I made my first MSQC purchase on June 13. I guess I am spoiled by other sites, because I felt it took longer than expected to process & ship (over 7 days for prepackaged items). The day after I received the shipping notice I received noticed that one item was back ordered. Not a huge problem, but would have preferred to know before the partial order was shipped. The email said the item would be shipped when it was in stock, around July 21. Well, within a few days the item was back listed for sale on the website, but nothing telling me it would be shipped. I emailed customer service twice about when the item would be shipped and to date I still have not received any response. The item is still listed as available for sale as of today.

As much as I like the products and prices here, I am afraid this is probably the last purchase I will make due to the sad customer service.

If anyone at MSQC can help, the order number is 650951.

:-(
Tamara

BobW
July 17th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Tamara,

I feel your pain. I have not had that experience with M*, but I have with other companies. I would suggest you PM Al, as the people who process the orders may or may not read the forums. Al is the owner and he would be your best option for help.

pcbatiks
July 17th, 2014, 01:24 PM
I would call the store directly. They can usually help get the problem solved quickly. If they don't answer keep calling back until someone answers.

JudyAnn
July 17th, 2014, 02:05 PM
.... I'm sorry you had a bad experience on your first order. M* has been growing so fast they haven't been able to keep up with things and thus their (normally wonderful) customer service has suffered greatly.

I placed an order at the end of May and finally received the rest of it (one honey bun wasn't included with the original shipment) on Tuesday ... this week. So two months is totally unacceptable. I do truly love M*, but I won't be placing any more orders until they get everything back on track.

My suggestion is to call, call, call..... but then do give them another chance when things are working again.

Liberty
July 17th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I once had an issue similar to that. An order that I paced later arrived before the first order was shipped.

Turns out they had sold out of one of the fabrics I had ordered. Eventually they emailed and asked if they could give me another fabric yardage instead. I made it difficult on them and asked for 2 yards of a cheaper fabric, saying to charge me the difference- but then it must have gotten overlooked because it took a couple of weeks for a response. I emailed back a coupe times... eventually two people contacted me from M*. I got my order with the 2 yards instead of 1 and was never charged the $4 difference.

I did all via email, my preferred method of communication. Maybe it would be faster by phone.

They were all nice. I understand that things are overlooked sometimes. What bothers me is when people are mean or won't apologize. This is my experience with the post office...

Kgrammiecaz
July 17th, 2014, 02:30 PM
I have had some things not go quite right. However, they have the best ever customer service. They have always made things right and compensated as well. They are awesome. They even called me once when they realized they had not shipped one of my large orders, and I had been so busy at that time at home, I missed that I did not receive it. As I said, one of the best customer service groups around.

I just never order online if I have a short timeframe.

Thousands are happy - they for sure have 5 stars. Good place to give a second/third try.

kensington
July 17th, 2014, 02:43 PM
I've never had a problem with M* customer service, or the quality of offerings they have for me to enjoy. They offer more precuts than any other site or store... ever. They have this forum where we can come and talk or share daily. And yes, even complain if you must. No other online store or shop offers a DD for me to grab at a moments notice to build my stash.

I believe if you are banking your whole experience on one shipment, then you didn't really give them a chance. They receive thousands of orders a day, they have opened three new shops, they are working endlessly to try to keep up with the demand. We all know things can happen, I'm glad that the overall theme of this forum is happy, return customers who understand they are growing in leaps and bounds and things take time. We're all adults here, (I believe).

7 Days turn around on an order is not a long time, that is just about standard based on my experience with many different online shopping sources. But, I do hope if you leave us, you find what keeps you happy where you do shop.

quiltsRfun
July 17th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I think they're probably experiencing growing pains.

kensington
July 17th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I think they're probably experiencing growing pains.

They started the move from a 5,000 sq ft warehouse to a 42,000 sq foot warehouse that they built themselves this weekend, they are loading up anything that can carry stuff to move it and get it in there and organized. I have been there twice this week, and both times there was a steady stream of people lined up to see Jenny, for her to sign books or to get a pic with her. The girls are cutting fabric as fast as they can, and restocking the items sold out over the weekend.

And you know what? They read this, they see the kind and the unkind comments. They stress over it and they feel it. This is their baby and they have worked hard to get here. They deserve all the uplifting comments we can give them if you ask me. The more they grow, the more they have to offer us. KWIM?

K. McEuen
July 17th, 2014, 08:59 PM
And you all know what? If I didn't live all the way in New Mexico I would have been there, with both my trucks, to help them move stuff.

I am a repeat customer. Yes, I have seen delivery times stretch out into two weeks or more at certain times. I've seen items be out of stock when I really wanted to order it now. But I have NEVER gotten poor customer service from the people working there. If you are equating poor customer service with you not getting your order in two days, then you are miss-categorizing your complaint. Something taking longer than you thought it should take isn't a reflection on the customer service or the people providing it, it falls into order fulfillment or shipping. I recently got an order that contained a layer cake, a black t-shirt and a M* sticker. Nothing was placed in a plastic bag. There were little pieces of thread all over that t-shirt from the layer cake and the sticker was half-peeled off and fuzzy. It was a newer guy in shipping that filled my order. I sent Al an email and let him know that someone is shipping was losing their standards in trying to get things out quickly. Not using that plastic bag, which I have gotten every time before made a huge difference. Al offered to replace the shirt and sticker. I told him that the shirt will be fine when I wash it, just having that layer cake in plastic protects it just that much more when my postman leaves it on my porch. Luckily we don't get much rain here so it wasn't an issue. I would have really been upset had my layer cake been wet. So Al forwards my email to the heads of shipping and they will bring it up at the next morning meeting and there is a really good chance that a shipment will not go out like that again.

Helpful reminders or constructive criticism go a lot farther in instances like this than threats of never shopping with them again.

The company is in a transition right now - I'll hang on for the ride until they have settled in to their new shoes. MSQC and the entire Doan clan (and their employees) are well worth a few bumps.

DCM
July 17th, 2014, 09:22 PM
I have never had issues with orders -- I assume if I need something NOW I need to go to my LQS, where I will pay considerably more for the same item - if they even carry it. I have sent 2 quilts to have them machine quilted and with the last quilt I received a personal phone call because they were concerned that the pattern I had ordered was much larger that it appears on the computer screen and would not look right with the design of my quilt. We chose a different pattern over the phone and I was so very appreciative of that call -- they wanted me to be 100% satisfied with my finished product (which I am) -- it would have been my fault for choosing the wrong pattern and I wouldn't have blamed them. I've had quilts done by a local long arm quilter and discussed exactly what I wanted and even though I was in the same city I didn't get a call if they had questions and the end product was very disappointing (and much more expensive). I've ordered from quilting catalogs and waited much longer for my products than I do when I order from MSQC. MSQC gets a 100% customer satisfaction rating from me!

sidesaddles
July 17th, 2014, 09:30 PM
You need to read today's blog from Al. I t would explain a lot. They have always responded. May not be as fast as I want but they have always taken care of the problem. I here for the long run. You can't find better customer service.

I really dislike how some never see any good in anything,,only the negative. They never claimed to be perfect.

Mpyles
July 17th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Unfortunately we live in a "instant gratification" world these days! I agree with Karen....it isn't poor customer service...these people hop and skip on one leg with their hand tied behind their backs to make people happy! Honestly...there sole intent and purpose when they get up in the morning is to make us...the customers happy...hence the 44000 ft new warehouse! You won't find nicer business owners anywhere...

As for running out of an item, or something missing, or miss communication....yep that's gonna happen...happens EVERYWHERE, every day! The business runs on the human factor....humans make mistakes...take it or leave it! They offer fantastic deals, awesome shipping charges and provide FREE lessons in quilting, all the while stopping and chatting throughout their day with on site visitors. These wonderful people run a great business! I'm sorry you aren't happy...but frankly you are probably in the minority on this forum....We are true blue jennykrishna's here!!

Sylvia H
July 17th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Don't shoot the messenger!

I have had 3 orders with M*, and they all were delivered completely, and within an acceptable time frame. I am a satisfied customer. And, with that being said - here are my other thoughts.......

I am aware that there have been problems with some deliveries - particularly with the June 13 orders, as they were much higher than expected. Long term customers seem to be okay with such delays, and are willing to accept that the growth and change of this company as acceptable reasons for such delays. But, I can understand how a new customer would not be as willing to do so. A new customer would not even be aware of all the changes taking place. Their opinion of a company is based upon their experience with that company. And I do question how many would be as understanding with another company if they had problems with their first order with those companies. I also question how many would send constructive criticism rather than just deciding not to deal with that company again. Be honest folks, with me and with yourself.

It IS unacceptable for two emails to not be returned. I worked for over 20 years in business, and one of my major jobs was to teach customer service. So, I repeat, it is unacceptable for two emails to not be returned. With this being said, I can accept that M* is not a company that purposefully ignores emails. However, if they have not already done so, they need to find a method of catching up on the emails they missed.

While I applaud their growth, there is such a thing as too much. Perhaps if they had gone a bit slower, these problems would not have occurred. (and perhaps not!) I am sure they made decisions based upon the best information they had at the time. I sincerely hope that they will be able to re-establish their excellent customer service, if they have not already done so.

ilive2craft2
July 17th, 2014, 10:04 PM
I am sorry that you feel this way. Your order was placed on the Friday the 13th sale that included free items. I am sure that they had more response to that sale than they expected - no one wants to pass up a free item. I suggest that you contact Al - he is BillNye on the forum with a private message or email one of the help links.

I love this company and all of the family and employees that work for them. I plan to visit them - hopefully someday soon.

JCY
July 17th, 2014, 11:24 PM
My latest M*QC order came yest. It took 8 days, which I felt was very reasonable. They ship most items 2 d. priority. Only one time I had a problem. There was a flaw right in the middle of a 1 yd. pc. of fabric. I e-m'd a pic, & they sent me another yard of the same fabric at no extra charge. The service was prompt & satisfactory. Please give M* another chance. We love M* & don't like to hear people bad-mouthing them. JCY

JCY
July 17th, 2014, 11:33 PM
You need to read today's blog. JCY

Live to Quilt
July 17th, 2014, 11:57 PM
My 2 cents worth.

I am fairley new to all of M*Q, tutorials, shop, form. Ihad placed a number of orders with thm analso ordered on June 13tn.
After reading on the form how backed up they were I just chilled. It wasn't something I need right away just wanted right away LOL.
once they showed shipped and got the next day. (Unfortunately not home all day and hubby got package) I only live 1 1/2 hrs from M* and really have to stay away from their. End up buying in every store if not once go back and buy something else all on same visit.
Have owned several business (not on this scale) but what they do for us with DD, shipping customer service, and the prices they offer, what they have done for that town, I know on NO other place to get all this in our quilting world.
Thank you Natille, Sara, Al and Jenny. Keep up the GOOD work.

Jean Anne

vchale
July 18th, 2014, 12:12 AM
I have had some problems in the past but everything was resolved with a phone call. I think when you look at the growth they've had in the last year and what they've done for their community it is nothing short of phenomenal. It does not seem that they have actively tried to grow so fast, it's a combination of press, Jenny's tutorials, and general publicity. It's mind boggling to me the quantity of orders they process with the number of employees they have and when you combine that with the logistics of stocking multiple stores and a warehouse and cutting yardage for individual orders I think they do a great job. Actually they wouldn't have to continue offering daily deals and special sales to keep customers. It's so obvious that this is a family company that cares about each other, their community and their customers.

kensington
July 18th, 2014, 01:25 AM
Don't shoot the messenger!

I have had 3 orders with M*, and they all were delivered completely, and within an acceptable time frame. I am a satisfied customer. And, with that being said - here are my other thoughts.......

I am aware that there have been problems with some deliveries - particularly with the June 13 orders, as they were much higher than expected. Long term customers seem to be okay with such delays, and are willing to accept that the growth and change of this company as acceptable reasons for such delays. But, I can understand how a new customer would not be as willing to do so. A new customer would not even be aware of all the changes taking place. Their opinion of a company is based upon their experience with that company. And I do question how many would be as understanding with another company if they had problems with their first order with those companies. I also question how many would send constructive criticism rather than just deciding not to deal with that company again. Be honest folks, with me and with yourself.

It IS unacceptable for two emails to not be returned. I worked for over 20 years in business, and one of my major jobs was to teach customer service. So, I repeat, it is unacceptable for two emails to not be returned. With this being said, I can accept that M* is not a company that purposefully ignores emails. However, if they have not already done so, they need to find a method of catching up on the emails they missed.

While I applaud their growth, there is such a thing as too much. Perhaps if they had gone a bit slower, these problems would not have occurred. (and perhaps not!) I am sure they made decisions based upon the best information they had at the time. I sincerely hope that they will be able to re-establish their excellent customer service, if they have not already done so.

I'm sorry but I don't think you do understand how things go. You say you understand business, but I'm not sure you do. M* did not cause this BURSTING at the seams to happen, WE DID. We the customers put so much demand on them for the DD and the wonderful precuts and fabrics that they had no choice but to grow and keep growing and keep up with it as best as they can. If they were content just to provide what the long term customers wanted, who would have filled YOUR order?

What would you have them do to "Keep from growing"... turn customers away? Run out of fabric? Not put out the Magazine? All they are guilt of is trying to give "WE" the customer what we demand from them daily in ordering and calls and by this forum. That is all. They are not sitting on their hands ... they are running at a full pace to keep up with US. Who are we to tell them not to grow?

I'd better stop here.

bajasadie
July 18th, 2014, 01:28 AM
I will stand up for M* and say I've ordered & received 10, maybe 15 times in the last couple of months-ONLY my last order was delayed slightly...and I chalked that up to -it's summer and hopefully they were on vacation! Other than that ALL of my orders have been CORRECT, speedy enough & I love what arrived. Thanks Jenny, Natalie & M* Team ;)

Quilting gardner
July 18th, 2014, 11:10 AM
WOW - I am shocked at the responses.

As a new customer and new quilter I came to the forum as a last resort seeking help with my problem order.

Thank you to those that explained what was going on with the company and offered suggestions.

But all the personal attacks because I was concerned about money I had spent with a company and not received my purchase, I am appalled.

This is the first time I have seen such negatives comments from the quilting community and I am so glad that previously to this I have received love and support, and much help from all those I encountered while beginning this wonderful quilting journey.

I reread my post just to make sure, and I don't think I ever attacked the company or any of you. I was just concerned that I was not getting any response from customer service about my questions and concerns.

Thank you

BellasQuilts
July 18th, 2014, 11:36 AM
This is definitely growing pains. Just look at the huge increase of new people here on the forum. Give em a break, they are a great company and just need a little time to get sorted out!

Kgrammiecaz
July 18th, 2014, 11:45 AM

As a new customer and new quilter I came to the forum as a last resort seeking help with my problem order.

Thank you to those that explained what was going on with the company and offered suggestions.

But all the personal attacks because I was concerned about money I had spent with a company and not received my purchase, I am appalled.

This is the first time I have seen such negatives comments from the quilting community and I am so glad that previously to this I have received love and support, and much help from all those I encountered while beginning this wonderful quilting journey.

I reread my post just to make sure, and I don't think I ever attacked the company or any of you. I was just concerned that I was not getting any response from customer service about my questions and concerns.

Thank you

Hi quilting gardener, yes the forum get a little crazy sometimes. It is easy to forget how long we are here. I think all that is being asked is to give a second chance, you will be happy you did. I hope you will stay with Missouri Star and find the forum is a wonderful place to be, 99.9 percent a happy fun place to be. Yes, we have bad days. Not an excuse, it just is what it is.

So please stick around. I promise you will love it. Join in, share what you are working on, and any tips you may have.

Welcome to the forum.

QuilterLinda
July 18th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I like the fact that they are growing. HOWEVER, I had a very similar first order experience this month. I have been waiting for more than a week just for them to pack up my order to ship out. It's my first order. It's not my fault they were moving. If orders were going to be seriously delayed, something should have been posted to warn the buying customer. I tried to cancel the order--but it won't cancel online anymore.
One of the items I ordered I needed quickly to finish something. I sent a complaint via their contact us. I still haven't heard. So I finally called and was informed about the move. They need to realize-- growing pains or not, it's expensive to lose a brand new customer. It will cost them not only what I don't order, but all the people I tell about my bad experience!!!!!!
I suggest they post something and also do something for all the customers such as me (which it looks like I'm not alone!)
I HAD the same items in my box at amazon. Since I am a prime member I would have had the items four or five days ago!!! At this point they haven't even gathered up my order still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As you can tell, I'm not happy. And I am stalled on a project. I'm considering going ahead with the order from Amazon and consider my order from M* a bad mistake that I won't repeat. I can order it today and I bet you money I have it before they even gather my order to ship!
I would consider this poor planning by a company that is affecting customer service in a really horrible way. If I were in charge of this company, my TOP priority in this move would be to not impact customer service. A slow move while tracking what product is where so they can fill deliveries faster is better than a quick disorganized move.
So I disagree with whoever said quick delivery is not customer service. IT IS! And I wasn't expecting as fast of delivery as Amazon. However, expecting your order will begin to be filled after a week and half is NOT unreasonable. I had no idea they were moving. They didn't warn anyone. And as a first time customer- YES first impressions matter.
How they handle my long delay WILL impact if I will buy from them again!

Slokarma
July 18th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Amazon Prime uses Fed Ex and UPS. Maybe MSQC should offer PRIME with a yearly fee? (JUST KIDDING), but perhaps they should offer expedited shipping for all those that are needing it faster. and I who uses Amazon and have neighbors joking about how often they see the delivery truck coming up my driveway, will not be signing up for MSQC Prime.

Have I missed fabric on Amazon that ships out overnight or in 2 days? I live in the boonies and nothing gets delivered in 24 hrs here, EXCEPT overnight Prime or a huge huge fee.

OOO, YES, there is something else that, if I order early enough in the morning, get's here with the next day afternoon UPS......PET FOOD! Yes, I order pet food thru Chewy and it comes out of Harrisburg Pa and normally, if I get it ordered before noon, it will come about 3 pm the next day. My pets love Chewy!

Slokarma
July 18th, 2014, 04:04 PM
and the more i think about it, in order for MSQC to ship out like Amazon, they would have to have centrally located warehouses all over the US and the world. Not feasible. Or their own air delivery.....

And here's another thing. I order from C. T. which come out of their Columbus Ohio warehouse, a mere 2.5 to 3 hrs away from me and it's almost always 5 to 10 days before I get deliveries from there.

QuilterLinda
July 18th, 2014, 04:47 PM
As I said in my post, I was not expecting Amazon delivery. (In fact Amazon delivery is so crazy that I don't even know how they do it! I have ordered something in the evening and gotten it the next day! Like how?!)
I think all in all...had they warned me that there was going to be a huge delay- I would have maybe ordered all but the item I need somewhat quickly. I wouldn't have ordered it if I needed it in two days. I ordered it expecting it in a week and half to two weeks give or take a bit. At this point I am over a week and not even started to fill it. They said on the phone that it might be another week before it is filled then shipped.
Another thing that bothers me--someone mentioned some sort of sale/ freebie about a week ago. If your going to be relocating your warehouse..why would you do anything to increase orders during this time? I mean I am happy they are doing well. I just hope they aren't getting so big that the customer service that everyone is raving about is gone. I REALLY hope not.
Ok...I know you guys love M* but really most of us complaining just want to hear-- wow, that stinks, I know your dying to do your project! OR I hope you get that project done in time for her birthday!

pcbatiks
July 18th, 2014, 04:58 PM
The following comment was posted by Suzette on April 13, 2014 in response to a thread about this same subject. I copied and pasted here. I think Suzette summed up the issue perfectly. Her post is below.

Re: Long time customer.........lot's of recent issues
While I too understand their growing pains (and will happily wait it out while they sort it out) I think the key is communication. And that is lacking here. All they have to do is let their customers know that things are a bit backed up right now and that they expect things to smooth out shortly.

When communication is lacking, folks will fill in the blanks themselves (and not always nicely), get annoyed, frustrated and eventually walk away (and some will do a lot of bad-mouthing before they walk). To make matters worse, I'm reading a lot of "no one answers the phone" and "no one returns my calls" and of course "my orders are taking way too long to be a) confirmed and b) received. Now I'm starting to hear more and more "parts of my order were missing or wrong".

Uh oh. We are on a slippery slope here folks. But truly the answer is -- communicate. When I worked as a vet tech, if we got held up with a patient and others had to wait past their appointment time because of it, if I did not go out and inform them of what was going on and why we were running behind, they would get very frustrated and angry and often times walk out. BUT . . . if I went out and explained the situation in a timely manner (meaning I didn't wait a half hour or more to inform them, I got out there as quickly as I could BEFORE they got angry and frustrated), almost without fail, they would instantly relax and be totally understanding and wait patiently for us to finish and then get them into a room.

The same thing here. MSQC just needs to let folks know as plainly and clearly as they can that they are running behind (and why) and most folks will be understanding and a lot more patient.

Just my two cents . . .

HandsOffItsMine
July 18th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Yes, Quilting Gardner, sadly this Forum gets a bit carried away with their loyalty to M* and forgets that it's still a company that owes a service to paying customers. Yes, they are experiencing another set of growing pains but that's no excuse to not return emails/phone calls/etc. It surely doesn't excuse a group of these Forum members to aggressively attack/insult concerned customers who are waiting for paid orders. I'm apologize for their behavior, it's a blind alliance that very frustrating when they are responding to concerns such as yours.

I've had problem orders myself, both times non-communication issues on their part was the issues and it's a re-occurring theme each and every time they have a growth spurt. I admire them as a family however it gets old to hear the same excuse on the communication issues.

Send an PM to BillNye/Al the owner - He can get someone to look into your order. Good luck.

Ruby

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 18th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Remember, folks -- be kind. It's one of the great things about this forum that people make an effort to be nice to each other & get along. Would you all mind terribly much if I asked everyone to moderate their tone?

Kgrammiecaz
July 18th, 2014, 05:34 PM
I believe no one has meant and unkindness at all.

We also have to look at the message we are reading from new people joining the forum and they don't even say Hi how are you, I have an issue, can anyone help. Most just jump in with a message saying I am mad and not doing this anymore. Sorry, but if your message is to say I am not happy and I am not coming back, then why bother writing in the first place.

I was a new person at one point. Everyone one here has been helpful and kind from the beginning. I have had some issues, and with the help of the forum and members of Missouri Star, issues get resolved.

We all need to learn patience. I get packages late all the time from vendors. If I got angry at them all, I would have no where to buy anything. If you want something quick, online is not the way to do it unless they have a system in place to pay dearly for overnight shipping - guaranteed.

I also have trouble in stores. I taught my kids to kill with kindness, and they will be surprised what they get back in kindness. No matter how upset or mad you may be at someone be kind.

Last - would you prefer a bunch of people to respond to you saying yes, I hate them too and I am not going to ever use them again either. What is the expectation. It would make me feel much better if everyone is having great experiences. That would tell me that the issue at hand is an exception the general rule, and it will most likely be resolved. Patience. I know it is hard.

Sorry for my long ramble. But its tough to read both sides of this issue. Heck, go read our USPS rant thread. It does not mean we will stop using their services. Even after my rant on there, I have had some great experiences with the post office.

Happy Friday to all - have a wonderful weekend. Please don't not like me because of my response. It is ok to just not like my response.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 18th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I believe no one has meant and unkindness at all.

We also have to look at the message we are reading from new people joining the forum and they don't even say Hi how are you, I have an issue, can anyone help. Most just jump in with a message saying I am mad and not doing this anymore. Sorry, but if your message is to say I am not happy and I am not coming back, then why bother writing in the first place.

I was a new person at one point. Everyone one here has been helpful and kind from the beginning. I have had some issues, and with the help of the forum and members of Missouri Star, issues get resolved.

We all need to learn patience. I get packages late all the time from vendors. If I got angry at them all, I would have no where to buy anything. If you want something quick, online is not the way to do it unless they have a system in place to pay dearly for overnight shipping - guaranteed.

I also have trouble in stores. I taught my kids to kill with kindness, and they will be surprised what they get back in kindness. No matter how upset or mad you may be at someone be kind.

Last - would you prefer a bunch of people to respond to you saying yes, I hate them too and I am not going to ever use them again either. What is the expectation. It would make me feel much better if everyone is having great experiences. That would tell me that the issue at hand is an exception the general rule, and it will most likely be resolved. Patience. I know it is hard.

Sorry for my long ramble. But its tough to read both sides of this issue. Heck, go read our USPS rant thread. It does not mean we will stop using their services. Even after my rant on there, I have had some great experiences with the post office.

Happy Friday to all - have a wonderful weekend. Please don't not like me because of my response. It is ok to just not like my response.

I agree nobody meant to be unkind, & I totally agree there are two sides (or more!) to the issue. I was just hoping to remind everyone of the spirit of this forum, & to try to settle our differences as thoughtfully & gently as possible.

Terry L
July 18th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Thank you

I read your first post and agree. Growing pains or not the lack of communication seems to be a concern. I have made several orders with only the first to be filled correctly. I emailed several times and to date NEVER received a response , I did phone and after several attempts I did reach customer service and they corrected my order. I love MSQC but I wish they could fix the problem of communication.

kensington
July 18th, 2014, 06:45 PM
While I regularly purchase items online, I made my first MSQC purchase on June 13. I guess I am spoiled by other sites, because I felt it took longer than expected to process & ship (over 7 days for prepackaged items). The day after I received the shipping notice I received noticed that one item was back ordered. Not a huge problem, but would have preferred to know before the partial order was shipped. The email said the item would be shipped when it was in stock, around July 21. Well, within a few days the item was back listed for sale on the website, but nothing telling me it would be shipped. I emailed customer service twice about when the item would be shipped and to date I still have not received any response. The item is still listed as available for sale as of today.

As much as I like the products and prices here, I am afraid this is probably the last purchase I will make due to the sad customer service.

If anyone at MSQC can help, the order number is 650951.

:-(
Tamara

Yes, Quilting Gardner, sadly this Forum gets a bit carried away with their loyalty to M* and forgets that it's still a company that owes a service to paying customers. Yes, they are experiencing another set of growing pains but that's no excuse to not return emails/phone calls/etc. It surely doesn't excuse a group of these Forum members to aggressively attack/insult concerned customers who are waiting for paid orders. I'm apologize for their behavior, it's a blind alliance that very frustrating when they are responding to concerns such as yours.

I've had problem orders myself, both times non-communication issues on their part was the issues and it's a re-occurring theme each and every time they have a growth spurt. I admire them as a family however it gets old to hear the same excuse on the communication issues.

Send an PM to BillNye/Al the owner - He can get someone to look into your order. Good luck.

Ruby

In her post she said her package was shipped in 7 days. Well, counting a weekend that had to be in there, I'd say she got good service. Second, I think comments like, Not buying from them again, belong in Email to M*, answered or not. Those are not kind comments.

Ruby, there's no need to speak or apologize for me, I stand by my comments. Thanks.

HandsOffItsMine
July 18th, 2014, 07:16 PM
7 days for a partial shipment without communication and no communication on the remainder of her order. Hence her frustration...

Just the same Gloria/Kensington - I will apologize for your approach on how you speak to folks. Ruby

Hulamoon
July 18th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Personally I would get rid of The Squeaky Wheel and Ask the M*QC catagories because it invites people to complain and causes bad feelings. This is a forum for quilters and for having fun.

kensington
July 18th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Just the same Gloria/Kensington - I will apologize for your approach to folks. Ruby

It doesn't work that way, you cannot apologize for other people's opinions, you can be responsible for what you say and no one else. You can't stand before God for my sins, I can't stand before God for your sins. And I personally prefer that people don't presume to think they can take that kind of authority over me, since it's not possible. I'm an adult, allowed to say and think what I want. I clearly said what I wanted to say, I don't want the OP to think I didn't. You saying you are sorry, won't change that.

I just asked you kindly to not presume to do such things to me, a grown adult. Your insisting that you can apologize for someone who doesn't invite it or need it... speaks volumes.

HandsOffItsMine
July 18th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I will only respond to you with one more statement Gloria. How in the world do you feel the need to bring God into this conversation? That should speak volumes about yourself...

tiffanym
July 18th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Unfortunately it happens, even to the best companies.
I placed an order 10 days ago and it still hasn't shipped. I sent an email (regarding another matter) and it took almost 3 weeks for the response.
Definitely stick with the phone method unless you're really not in a rush (like I am) and wait for electronic snail mail.
Don't let it sway you're opinion about M* though. :) They really are a great bunch of people.

Quiltinggranny
July 18th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I have always had a good experience with orders placed with MSQC. I agree growing pains. I'm just so excited for them to have made a silk purse out of a sows ear. Thankful for ALL THE FREE TUTORIALS that Jenny has done for us, and the wonderful customer service.

kensington
July 18th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I will only respond to you with one more statement Gloria. How in the world do you feel the need to bring God into this conversation? That should speak volumes about yourself...

Because He is a part of my every day life and normal conversation. People who know me know that about me. I won't apologize for that either.

I was just making a simple comparison.

ozziepuppy
July 18th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I think the OP's point was that the item was not sent to her because it was out of stock, but then she saw it back in stock online, except that it STILL was not shipped to her, and she could not get the company to communicate with her about the problem. She was expressing her feelings (frustration) and the possible consequences of her feelings (not re-ordering) and asking for help (providing order number, since emails were not answered). I don't think the post was out of line, especially for someone who is new.

The most helpful responses were to try phoning, to try contacting Al (although a link or address would have been helpful), and to not give up based on one experience.

As for the rest. . .:icon_popcorn:

auntiemern
July 18th, 2014, 09:27 PM
WOW!!!! I just saw this and am amazed at some of the things I have read. To begin with, there HAS been a huge influx of new customers and new forum members due to the media coverage and the Cancer Cares Quilt Group. I have read, and been quiet on numerous comments dissing M*. Not this time. I think the OP did not realize that there is a large number of long time members that will defend the Doans and M* whenever it seems as if some one is speaking badly about them, or their company. The big move and the new warehouse is not new news. If you are going to complain about them, this really isn't the place to do that, unless you want for this exact thread to happen. I also don't think anyone has to make snide remarks about those members that defend the company and the Doans. We are a big part of helping grow the company. We have been their faithful customers longer than any one else, and have always been their staunchest defenders. So to those of you that don't want to buy from them, don't. If you don't want honest opinions from members of this forum, the don't give any reason to get one. To those members who only comment to make personal attacks, keep it to yourself. Been there, done that, over it.

Quilting gardner
July 18th, 2014, 10:28 PM
I think the OP's point was that the item was not sent to her because it was out of stock, but then she saw it back in stock online, except that it STILL was not shipped to her, and she could not get the company to communicate with her about the problem. She was expressing her feelings (frustration) and the possible consequences of her feelings (not re-ordering) and asking for help (providing order number, since emails were not answered). I don't think the post was out of line, especially for someone who is new.

The most helpful responses were to try phoning, to try contacting Al (although a link or address would have been helpful), and to not give up based on one experience.

As for the rest. . .:icon_popcorn:

Thank you - you actual read my post and understood it.

This company was recommended to me by quilting friends and until the posts I had no idea they moved or had a huge increase in customers.

I was just posting for help in a section of the forum called "Squeaky Wheel", which apparently I misunderstood as being a section if you had a problem and needed help.

I took the advice to PM Al, no response, but of course now that I know they just moved; that could be because they may not have internet service connected yet.

It is a real shame that some of you had to be so hateful to me just because I was new and not part of the long time clique.

kensington
July 18th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Thank you - you actual read my post and understood it.

This company was recommended to me by quilting friends and until the posts I had no idea they moved or had a huge increase in customers.

I was just posting for help in a section of the forum called "Squeaky Wheel", which apparently I misunderstood as being a section if you had a problem and needed help.

I took the advice to PM Al, no response, but of course now that I know they just moved; that could be because they may not have internet service connected yet.

It is a real shame that some of you had to be so hateful to me just because I was new and not part of the long time clique.

We are not a clique, and you are more than welcome here. We love new people, new ideas, and perspective. We just defend the Doan's. I don't think anyone was hateful. You have not got a response from Al, "yet". They field thousands of emails a day, and if yours was missed it's not personal. If you read Al's comments here you will always see he is humble and welcoming, and willing to do anything he can to make things right for whoever is upset. Including you.

Tis my guess, with the moving of the warehouse, He isn't fielding email right now, he is letting customer service do it, and they are swamped. Can you imagine answering 500 to a 1000 emails a day? Please try to. You are asking us to understand your side, I am asking you to understand theirs. The item you want is back in stock, but may not be where it can be cut yet. Yardage cuts take longer than precuts. Always.

And just, Please... if you are not going to shop M* any more, tell them. Don't tell their children. (persay) KWIM?

QuilterLinda
July 19th, 2014, 01:16 AM
I think someone summed all of this up nicely. A little communication would have made people happy. If your a first time customer and they are taking your money but not filling your order and not answering your emails. Your probably frustrated. The good thing about the forums is- others who are frustrated can come here and at least find out what is going on. Apparently those in the loop and not new to forums or Missouri Star knew about the move.
I watched some of her videos over the years. I knew about the company. But had other sources for my fabric/ goodies. I have been off work and stuck at home for weeks from some surgery. So I actually had time to browse the site. So a note about the delay in shipping would have done so much good. The OP issue I think probably hasn't been resolved purely because of the back up, not the back order. The posting of it on the website may have even been an automatic thing from when something is in or out of stock. Where the filling your order is something a person has to do. The computer can update inventory automatically when something ships in.
I'm frustrated about my order. Not happy about the way it has been handled. And I thought "squeaky wheel forum" would be the place to post/ vent my frustrations. I actually decided to add to this post instead of starting a new one because it seemed to be very similar to my situation. And I really didn't see a need for a second negative post about delays.
Sorry if I offended others with my frustrations. Not trying to bash the company. Just complaining about the way it was handled. I know that everyone loves M* here. But it is OK to say--they messed up. In fact it would be good if they said so to directly to all the orders placed. Isn't my email in my order/ account info? Or shoot hopefully they will stick a note in the box saying sorry. (Even if they generate a generic note for it-that would go a long way with me!) I just want to feel like a valued customer and that they appreciate my money. (Which they have had for over a week, while not even packing up my order)
And I think we are coming here to vent because we have tried other avenues...and aren't really getting through to them. Clearly they are so backed up on everything! (emails, calls, orders....) You know when your annoyed at something and even the company is ignoring you-- you have to vent! At least I do.
Again sorry if I upset others...that was not my intention.

BillNye
July 19th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Hey y'all, first, I appreciate the feedback, the OP was being sincere in the question and I didn't feel attacked or anything like that. I say it all the time to our team, but when we're about 4-5 days behind in shipping, I'll say "I can't imagine ordering something from the internet and having it take 4 days to even ship" it certainly happens sometimes, but not very often.

I really appreciate the understanding around the warehouse move, it was easily the most stressful thing I've ever done. Sarah's house and car got struck by lightning (no fire, just lots of insurance claims to deal with) and her husband who is normally the muscle in the group was off at scout camp with the boys, so we were a bit short handed for tying it all together, but we did make it over, by the skin of our teeth. So thank you for knowing that 8 days to get an order isn't what we're about, we are way more into shipping your order within 24 hours, which is what the move is all about :)

So on the positive side, we now have 20 shipping stations (well 14 right now, I'm building the other 6) which is way up from 11 where we were, we had 26 interviews this last week looking to fill the 6 new spots, as well as adding 4-5 more customer service folks now that we have a few more computer stations for them as well (our customer service gets behind when our shipping gets behind). So this stuff is going to get way way way better, give me a week or two, and you will be blown away. I'm so excited about the new software we've built to handle warehouse management and order fulfilment, it's unlike anything I've ever seen, and is going to be the foundation for us for the next 5 years. Honestly, it's gonna be great.

So again, I apologize for it taking so long for an order and for a reply email, both of those are still my number one priority right now, before June 13th, our monster sale, we were shipping within 8 hours of the order being placed, which was awesome, we'll be back there in no time!

Much love,
Al

Quilting gardner
July 19th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Hey y'all, first, I appreciate the feedback, the OP was being sincere in the question and I didn't feel attacked or anything like that. I say it all the time to our team, but when we're about 4-5 days behind in shipping, I'll say "I can't imagine ordering something from the internet and having it take 4 days to even ship" it certainly happens sometimes, but not very often.

I really appreciate the understanding around the warehouse move, it was easily the most stressful thing I've ever done. Sarah's house and car got struck by lightning (no fire, just lots of insurance claims to deal with) and her husband who is normally the muscle in the group was off at scout camp with the boys, so we were a bit short handed for tying it all together, but we did make it over, by the skin of our teeth. So thank you for knowing that 8 days to get an order isn't what we're about, we are way more into shipping your order within 24 hours, which is what the move is all about :)

So on the positive side, we now have 20 shipping stations (well 14 right now, I'm building the other 6) which is way up from 11 where we were, we had 26 interviews this last week looking to fill the 6 new spots, as well as adding 4-5 more customer service folks now that we have a few more computer stations for them as well (our customer service gets behind when our shipping gets behind). So this stuff is going to get way way way better, give me a week or two, and you will be blown away. I'm so excited about the new software we've built to handle warehouse management and order fulfilment, it's unlike anything I've ever seen, and is going to be the foundation for us for the next 5 years. Honestly, it's gonna be great.

So again, I apologize for it taking so long for an order and for a reply email, both of those are still my number one priority right now, before June 13th, our monster sale, we were shipping within 8 hours of the order being placed, which was awesome, we'll be back there in no time!

Much love,
Al

Thank you!

also thanks for the email/PM, I appreciate you checking into my BO.

tiffanym
July 21st, 2014, 03:54 PM
i'm sure you all saw but i just remembered that M* was talking about moving their shipping department to a new bldg due to lack of space! This is why everything is all crazy! :)
Nostalgia and Warehouses (http://blog.missouriquiltco.com/nostalgia-and-warehouses/)

chiobabe
July 22nd, 2014, 03:10 AM
I think someone summed all of this up nicely. A little communication would have made people happy. If your a first time customer and they are taking your money but not filling your order and not answering your emails. Your probably frustrated. The good thing about the forums is- others who are frustrated can come here and at least find out what is going on. Apparently those in the loop and not new to forums or Missouri Star knew about the move.
I watched some of her videos over the years. I knew about the company. But had other sources for my fabric/ goodies. I have been off work and stuck at home for weeks from some surgery. So I actually had time to browse the site. So a note about the delay in shipping would have done so much good. The OP issue I think probably hasn't been resolved purely because of the back up, not the back order. The posting of it on the website may have even been an automatic thing from when something is in or out of stock. Where the filling your order is something a person has to do. The computer can update inventory automatically when something ships in.
I'm frustrated about my order. Not happy about the way it has been handled. And I thought "squeaky wheel forum" would be the place to post/ vent my frustrations. I actually decided to add to this post instead of starting a new one because it seemed to be very similar to my situation. And I really didn't see a need for a second negative post about delays.
Sorry if I offended others with my frustrations. Not trying to bash the company. Just complaining about the way it was handled. I know that everyone loves M* here. But it is OK to say--they messed up. In fact it would be good if they said so to directly to all the orders placed. Isn't my email in my order/ account info? Or shoot hopefully they will stick a note in the box saying sorry. (Even if they generate a generic note for it-that would go a long way with me!) I just want to feel like a valued customer and that they appreciate my money. (Which they have had for over a week, while not even packing up my order)
And I think we are coming here to vent because we have tried other avenues...and aren't really getting through to them. Clearly they are so backed up on everything! (emails, calls, orders....) You know when your annoyed at something and even the company is ignoring you-- you have to vent! At least I do.
Again sorry if I upset others...that was not my intention.

I have had a similar experience. I am a new customer to M* and discovered it through facebook.

When I saw a daily deal I liked on July 14th (Mon), I took the plunge and ordered, after planning my projects carefully through the day. I was due to be out of town midway through the following week, but after reviewing the ordering and shipping FAQs ("we print orders 2-3 times a day normally", "post office comes twice a day to pickup our packages and UPS comes at the end of the day. It's a pretty amazing system when you see it happen", "we ship things out so quick") I figured they had 6 whole business days to get it to me, and I only live the next state over from MO.

I received a confirmation email telling me my credit card had been charged, and nothing else. 2 days later (Wed), I called M* several times. There was no answer and I left my name and email and asked that someone call me back. No one ever did. I called again later the same day, and this time managed to speak to someone. Unfortunately, she could not even give me an estimate on when my order would ship.

I explained that I was scheduled to leave town the following Wed, and I had hoped that my order would reach me before then. It was an order over $100 and I did not relish the thought of it sitting in my mailbox or out on my front porch for 3 weeks, where it might suffer water damage when it next storms. I asked if something could be done to speed things along. Instead of being helpful and reassuring, she wanted to know how I could leave town for 3 weeks without getting someone to check my mailbox. I did not appreciate that at all!

She then suggested that I should get the post office to hold my mail. But that costs $$ which I could be spending at M*, and I really wouldn't even be in this predicament if only M* had put some sort of announcement on their website about shipping delays instead of lauding their quick shipping (my quotes above are lifted from their FAQ).

At the very least, I felt that there should have been some automated email sent out to orders placed within this period of shipping delays to explain matters. Or perhaps even an addendum added on to the usual confirmation email would have helped smooth the way. I could then have liaised with someone to hold my order till the week before I returned, or come up with some other solution.

Instead I had to call (several times) and ended up speaking to someone who did not make me feel like a valued customer in any way. I left the call so frustrated I was feeling almost as if I had no rights and should be grateful if and when they ever do get around to dealing with my order and shipping the contents out.

It left a really bad taste in my mouth and while I do appreciate Jenny's tutorials immensely, I do feel that new customers have been marginalised in all of this, since we did not know about the move before we order. Hence the importance of communication. Al's post explaining matters has also helped, but I could not get that phone call out of my mind, and I really was very unsettled after it.

For what it's worth, my credit card was charged a week ago and as of today my order has not shipped.

Quilting gardner
July 22nd, 2014, 08:49 AM
I have had a similar experience. I am a new customer to M* and discovered it through facebook.

When I saw a daily deal I liked on July 14th (Mon), I took the plunge and ordered, after planning my projects carefully through the day. I was due to be out of town midway through the following week, but after reviewing the ordering and shipping FAQs ("we print orders 2-3 times a day normally", "post office comes twice a day to pickup our packages and UPS comes at the end of the day. It's a pretty amazing system when you see it happen", "we ship things out so quick") I figured they had 6 whole business days to get it to me, and I only live the next state over from MO.

I received a confirmation email telling me my credit card had been charged, and nothing else. 2 days later (Wed), I called M* several times. There was no answer and I left my name and email and asked that someone call me back. No one ever did. I called again later the same day, and this time managed to speak to someone. Unfortunately, she could not even give me an estimate on when my order would ship.

I explained that I was scheduled to leave town the following Wed, and I had hoped that my order would reach me before then. It was an order over $100 and I did not relish the thought of it sitting in my mailbox or out on my front porch for 3 weeks, where it might suffer water damage when it next storms. I asked if something could be done to speed things along. Instead of being helpful and reassuring, she wanted to know how I could leave town for 3 weeks without getting someone to check my mailbox. I did not appreciate that at all!

She then suggested that I should get the post office to hold my mail. But that costs $$ which I could be spending at M*, and I really wouldn't even be in this predicament if only M* had put some sort of announcement on their website about shipping delays instead of lauding their quick shipping (my quotes above are lifted from their FAQ).

At the very least, I felt that there should have been some automated email sent out to orders placed within this period of shipping delays to explain matters. Or perhaps even an addendum added on to the usual confirmation email would have helped smooth the way. I could then have liaised with someone to hold my order till the week before I returned, or come up with some other solution.

Instead I had to call (several times) and ended up speaking to someone who did not make me feel like a valued customer in any way. I left the call so frustrated I was feeling almost as if I had no rights and should be grateful if and when they ever do get around to dealing with my order and shipping the contents out.

It left a really bad taste in my mouth and while I do appreciate Jenny's tutorials immensely, I do feel that new customers have been marginalised in all of this, since we did not know about the move before we order. Hence the importance of communication. Al's post explaining matters has also helped, but I could not get that phone call out of my mind, and I really was very unsettled after it.

For what it's worth, my credit card was charged a week ago and as of today my order has not shipped.

While I was not in a hurry, it would have been nice to know that they were moving and the normal shipping experience would not happen at this time.

I don't think either of us or maybe other new customers are unreasonable people; we would just like to feel like our business is important and be kept informed.

I did PM Al and he did get back to me. Apparently the problem with the item showing in stock was an error and they still don't have it.

If you haven't already, try sending him a PM too.

kensington
July 22nd, 2014, 03:21 PM

1st post right out of the box? Wow... how did you ever even find this thread?
The truth is, there has never been a customer service person at M* like the one you described. If she suggested having your mail held and you were worried, you should have took her up on that idea. I was shocked to see you say that it costs to "Hold" mail, so I called the USPS and asked, the answer is NO, it does not cost, not in any city or state in the United States. If you want to verify this ... you can call 1 (800) 275-8777 to speak to someone who will confirm this. Or 1 (816) 532- 0975 to reach the post office I spoke to where the man said NO fee for "Hold" mail and he had been there 28 years.

Or you can go to this source to apply and there is no fee. https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/

The only service the PO offers that takes a fee is to change your address online, they charge $1 to confirm your address on your credit or debit card. Again, you can call to verify this.

You said you asked her to hold your package... the customer service cannot interfere with an order once it has been confirmed, they can't hold it or even find it. I've been there in person and asked them "Hey since I am here, can I get my order"... Thousands of orders a day go through that shipping room, and they can't dig and find just one for you. So, it stands to reason that they can't hold your order once it's been confirmed. Sorry. She probably told you that.

The email suggestion seems like a good idea and knowing Al is the most reasonable guy on the planet, I'm sure when he reads that he will take it under advisement. In the mean time, You did get a confirmation on your order, right? So you will be getting it, go ahead and take advantage of that free "Hold" on mail while you are out of town and your package will be safely waiting for you when you return.

I'm still amazed that you found this one thread after joining late last night and posted. Glad to see your concerns are here where Al can see them. I think you probably misunderstood the customer service person, or she misunderstood you. Again, I've talked to them all or met them I believe, and have never had one been rude to me ever, even when I was being a pain in the neck or frustrated. It just doesn't happen that I know of.

Kgrammiecaz
July 22nd, 2014, 03:32 PM
posted by kensington "I'm still amazed that you found this one thread after joining late last night and posted. Glad to see your concerns are here where Al can see them. I think you probably misunderstood the customer service person, or she misunderstood you. Again, I've talked to them all or met them I believe, and have never had one been rude to me ever, even when I was being a pain in the neck or frustrated. It just doesn't happen that I know of."

I agree - I am not so sure these are real issues with real people. They are coming on with one post to complain and that's it. Too bad there is no way to screen for these types. Maybe it is just one person coming in as several different people. All they have to do is use a friends/family emails.

Kind of sad for them actually. I feel sorry for them. They need a happier place to be.

Iris Girl
July 22nd, 2014, 04:37 PM
Personally I would get rid of The Squeaky Wheel and Ask the M*QC catagories because it invites people to complain and causes bad feelings. This is a forum for quilters and for having fun.

I have to agree here we are all united in something we love doing and it should and is fun. This should not be a breeding ground for bad feelings.
Every company may have shipping issues do to one thing or another whether its holidays or moving from one building to another or upgrading the computer system. Give them a chance . This is a fun happy place and post like this make it mean and ugly and people see the wrong side of this forum. I believe some things are better not said because they hurt and can not be retracted.
Lets keep this our fun happy place, seems we have already lost so many of our wonderful people because of such issues as these.
Peace all and smile.

K. McEuen
July 22nd, 2014, 04:53 PM
I have to agree here we are all united in something we love doing and it should and is fun. This should not be a breeding ground for bad feelings.

Exactly why I've requested several times, and once again when this thread started that Al consider removing the Ask the M* Girls and Squeaky Wheel sections of this forum. When M* was new, this was a useful area for them to connect with their customers. As it is now, there isn't anyone from the shop that monitors the site on a regular basis, so you aren't really asking M* anymore. Al comes in when I send him a note asking him to come in and calm the masses. He pops in and out other days, but on threads like this he gets a request from me.

I think with new users coming in and complaining on their very first post it sets off forum members into "protect the Doans" mode. I think the forum would be a better place if people didn't air their dirty laundry (so to speak) with M* here. That is better done in emails to the site. It causes people to choose sides and sets off bad feelings when someone comes here only to complain.

Susann
July 22nd, 2014, 05:41 PM
Exactly why I've requested several times, and once again when this thread started that Al consider removing the Ask the M* Girls and Squeaky Wheel sections of this forum. When M* was new, this was a useful area for them to connect with their customers. As it is now, there isn't anyone from the shop that monitors the site on a regular basis, so you aren't really asking M* anymore. Al comes in when I send him a note asking him to come in and calm the masses. He pops in and out other days, but on threads like this he gets a request from me.

I think with new users coming in and complaining on their very first post it sets off forum members into "protect the Doans" mode. I think the forum would be a better place if people didn't air their dirty laundry (so to speak) with M* here. That is better done in emails to the site. It causes people to choose sides and sets off bad feelings when someone comes here only to complain.

Well said!

kensington
July 22nd, 2014, 05:49 PM

Except that if there is no area for them to post, they will still find the forums to use. They are connected via the site. I am not sure what the solution is. The last thread started... just a bit ago... was in General Discussion. And I can only speak for myself, but I hit the "New Post" button and read down. Half the time.. (Don't beat me) I don't even look to see what forum a topic is in. My bad.

Just like the flux of "Mystery Quilt" posts that were on here looking for Groups... it may calm down once that warehouse/shipping thing is back on track. 20 shipping stations... Who would have thunk it? There were like 6 or 7 the first time I ever popped in there to say Hi to them and Becky in Customer service. Quilting was in the same building too. LOL. Crazy!

I think the main problem is people are impatient. The one girl said she called several times, emailed and then called some more... all in one day. And she got ahold of someone, but is still upset with them. That my friend, is being impatient.

pcbatiks
July 22nd, 2014, 07:26 PM
The main problem was and is lack of communication. How else will MSQC know that there is a problem if customers do not bring up their concerns? I'm not sure what route would have been most effective to let customers know why orders would be delayed....but it would have helped tremendously with customers worried about their orders. Maybe they could have posted a memo or message at the top of the Quilt Shop page and/or on FB....or some other method.

I'm cheering for the Doan family & their business too. I would hate for them to lose customers because a problem in the communication department. I haven't seen any customers old or new, trashing the Doans or the MSQC family. I have seen customers concerned about their orders.....coming to the forum for suggestions after they have repeatedly trying contact the store with no results.

What I have seen, here on the forum is some of those concerned customers being treated poorly by some forum members because of those questions or concerns. There is never a reason why any forum members should treat other forum members in anything other than a helpful manner. As with any questions posted on the forum.......if you have a helpful answer or link then post it......if not......keep in mind that what you say might reflect badly on MSQC.

Something to think about.........if Al is not taking offense to customers questions about their orders........then why should the rest of us. The communication issue needs to be addressed and hopefully for everyone..........that will be taken care of very soon.

kensington
July 22nd, 2014, 09:39 PM
"I am afraid this is probably the last purchase I will make due to the sad customer service."

And the one today that probably got someone into trouble when the advice she was given to have her mail "Held" was the best advice anyone could give.

These are remarks that I respond to with a prompt rebuff. They are on a forum, and if they have talked to someone and emailed them, then what they are doing is just trashing M* to us, the forum members. If you think that responding to them is wrong, I'm sorry. But, if they don't want responses, they should probably just keep emailing and calling.

Communication is not the only issue here, one woman posted she talked to a customer service person, and didn't like how it went. I don't believe any M* customer service person treated her badly, I did my research and gave her the correct information. She was the one posting wrong info... not the M* person. She was doing her best to deal with an upset "It's all about ME" customer, in my humble opinion. I addressed her concerns and her comments.

But, it says a lot about M* and their service to their customers that they deal with thousands of customers daily only a few of these types of posts are being made. Don't you agree?

LindaKay75
July 22nd, 2014, 10:42 PM
I haven't always gotten the excellent service, but you know what, I really don't care, just as long as I get what I ordered and paid for I'm okay. I know in my heart that Jenny, husband and family are good people with growing pains and I love them dearly, and I don't even know them personally. I am proud of what they have accomplished. And I know they have put enjoyment and happiness in my last years on this earth. All I can say now is "thank you" Jenny for all the FREE tutorials. Hang in there everything will work out just fine. Lets show MSQC our patience and understanding.

bajasadie
July 23rd, 2014, 01:35 AM

Thank you

I responded early & have checked back every couple of days to see the response & feedback...and your newest 'response' post- personally, I love quilting-have visited LOTS of quilt shops from CA to NYC and feel absolute compassion for M*QC- there are a lot of unfriendly quilt shops out there-oh sure they are charming & quaint and stock the 'right' fabric and supplies but they're NOT friendly and generally they are pricey. M*QC hands down is a GRAND SLAM. The phrase you use...."I'm appalled" is...unfriendly. Appalled is strong. I'll let M* defend themselves but my feelings are that you are an impatient person-worried about your order. Quilters are a nice, proud bunch and Jenny and her team are working hard trying to please folks-you might just relax.

Enchanted
July 28th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I am a customer, so this is just my opinion. MSQC has been growing by leaps and bounds. Sometimes things get away. Yes, I know they are supposed to have it under control, but sometimes it take time. They are not a huge conglomerate and use family members and local residents. In fact my research indicates they have employed almost the entire town. (maybe not all, but it seems). I have noticed that some of my orders were a bit slower than normal, lately, but you know what that is just the way it is because I can see beyond the web page and realize what happens when a company gets growing perhaps faster than expected.

If I need something so fast that I can't wait for shipment (even priority takes 2-3 days), I just have to go to a local fabric store. I know that sometimes I just get antsy and want to make something right now, but that is not realistic. Things take time.

Don't give up on this company. I like the personal attitude of this company and I know they do their best. No one is perfect, except God and no one should expect perfection.

QuilterLinda
July 28th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I just want to give a follow up to my situation. My order finally arrived yesterday. I'm happily working on my gift project now! I placed my order on the 10th and received it on the 26th. Do I think this is acceptable shipping time frame in this day and age? No. Am I sorry I complained?! Not at all they needed to know and it made me feel better. Will I order again? Yes, but I'm giving them time to settle in before I attempt it. I will only order again because the positive, apologetic and nice responses to me! I honestly feel that they care about their customers and appreciate them.
I understand why some would rather there not be this negative post area. But honestly, being able to vent about it helped me get over it. If people complaining bother you, I would probably just avoid this section of the forums altogether. No one with the company was ever rude to me. One of them actually apologized for the random people on the forums being rude. (Which was super sweet--but not necessary.)
FYI, to whoever said we are the same person. I don't know any of the other people who have complained. I only have one account. I suspect they were backed up worse than ever before now. So I am sure there were a LOT more then three people who were upset. It's ok to be not happy about something your paying your hard earned money on.
I guess it's a weird protective thing that people are getting upset about it. But I would like you to know that you posters seem WAY more freaked out than the people working at the company. Take a deep breath please! :)
Thank you to M* for apologizing and handling my problem! Especially to Al! Thank you!!!!!!!!

Terry L
July 28th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Happy it all worked out , HAPPY QUILTING:D

Terri
July 28th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I placed an order on the 10th and it still reads "printed" and today is the 28th....patience wearing thin....very thin...... :(

Terri
July 29th, 2014, 05:46 AM
FINALLY!!! Just checked once again, and my order says "shipped"....ordered the 10th, shipped the 28th. Hope their growing pains are getting much better.

Quilting gardner
July 29th, 2014, 10:32 AM
As the original poster I feel obligated to update my post.

The situation has been resolved to my satisfaction.

ozziepuppy
July 29th, 2014, 12:34 PM
As the original poster I feel obligated to update my post.

The situation has been resolved to my satisfaction.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

Sharyn J
July 30th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I just received a very nice e-mail regarding the mix up on my order and a new shipment is on the way. I've had only two errors with my online orders from MSQ since I've been ordering (over 2 years) and they always reach out to correct things with the customer's satisfaction in mind. Their employees are always polite and helpful and make quick resolutions. I love shopping with MSQ and will continue to do so, even if there is an occassional error. They're a great company and are constantly working hard to make it a great experience for all.

share60
August 5th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Oh Tamara
First you are so blessed to live in the Usa (only for the quilt shops)I place my orders and get it about three weeks later if its been shipped pronto,Even in Australia our Australia Post is the poorest takes 8-10 working days to get from the east coast to Perth(we are Australia's boom state hahaha I feel your pain,but at the best of times MSQC provides a delightful service xxxx

BillNye
August 6th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I'm glad we're finally muscling through these, thank you all for being patient with us. I know you probably saw our blog post on the life of an order and how that works, there was a bit of resistance to the model we're using to get it all done, let me share some of the thought behind it and some of the struggles and triumphs that come with it.

First, we had this idea of distributed quilt shops, primarily as a labor strategy. If we had 5 people standing in a warehouse cutting fabric, and we had a big day of internet orders, they're busy all day, if we had a light day of internet orders, they'd be twiddling their thumbs. SO we thought if we could put the fabric in a quilt shop, when we didn't have customers, they could be cutting fabric, then when customers came in, they'd look up and help them. Or if we ran out of orders, there is cleaning and restocking and so on to do, so we get a ton of effectiveness out of our employees, we love it and so do they!

We just moved (July 7th) over to a new fabric order system I've built where each store gets a print out of it's own fabric that it needs to cut, so now, we can track when a fabric has printed, and who printed it to gather, then when you cut the fabric, you scan it again and the system knows it's been cut and you assign it to a bin, then we scan the bin when it gets to the warehouse and it will print the orders with that fabric in it and off it goes to get shipped out. Well, we had a bit of trouble with some of the scanners, and sometimes remembering to change your bin #, it was a training problem, so we had about a week where most orders were right, but we'd have fabrics that were cut, but not in the bin we thought they were and it was a hunt through almost 200 bins of fabric in the warehouse to find the right one, that was what was killing us. Just yesterday, Sarah T over in shipping and I had gone back through and rescanned every bin we have over there, we also setup a gatekeeper to make sure that what the system thinks is in the bin is actually in the bin, and this will cut down on a lot of the problems.

We have a few orders from the 19th and up that are still getting tracked down, but we are identifying them much quicker now, and are closing the gap. It's been a stressful transition, it's really hard to fix a problem that you can't figure out what the problem is, but we think we're on the right track, and will have everything tightened down in another week or so. Again, really sorry for the folks who became our guinea pigs in this, it certainly wasn't intentional, but you are helping us create a system that will support us for the next several years.

Some people will look at the system and say it's silly, we should be in a big warehouse and make it easier on us, I think we're a bit forward thinking and it's just a new idea, so not everyone can see it yet. Anyway, just trying to shed a bit of light on what's going on behind the scenes as we continue to trim shipping times down. When the system works, and you place an order, the shops will cut fabric and get it to the warehouse (we do pickups 4 times a day) and out the door within hours of being ordered, that's gonna be a dream when it's there, a dream I tell you!

Susann
August 7th, 2014, 03:30 PM
.....that's gonna be a dream when it's there, a dream I tell you!
We're behind ya'-we believe the dream Al:D

Sandy Navas
August 7th, 2014, 05:26 PM
I personally have witnessed the dream coming to fruition and it is real . . . real special.

irishrn
August 7th, 2014, 07:49 PM
The efforts of your family and employees have been very impressive! You should be proud of the business model you have accomplished in these past few years! You are making every attempt to be a full service industry and you are well on your way!
Although I have not had the pleasure of going to MO for a first hand visit, ( on my bucket list) I am impressed by the fact that you take all of the glitches in stride and the buck stops at the business end! I have NEVER been disappointed by the customer service staff and your employee culture is clearly one of cheerful service!
So know that MANY MANY of your customers are completely supportive of your efforts and are THANKFUL you care about us so much to provide such wonderful service! You are MY go to shop!!!

Marty
August 9th, 2014, 04:38 AM
I had an error with my first order too. And I had my doubts. However, I can happily say that I called, had no problem getting through to a customer service girl and the problem was rectified quickly. I may be naive but I really believe they try to be awesome. I wish you the best of luck and I sympathize with how frustrated you felt. Good luck with your project!

kensington
August 9th, 2014, 04:54 AM
They are Awesome...

SisterDi
August 10th, 2014, 04:52 AM
They are awesome, I agree. What they have built out of one small store in just a few years is pretty incredible. They have worked hard for it, and they thank every customer in a very special way every chance they get for the opportunity to keep on doing what they love to do.

But, it took every customer out here to help build their business. As Al has stated, he appreciates the feedback. It only helps him and the rest of the team to find and correct the kinks in the system. When someone comes into these forums, whether it's their first post or their 500th, to vent about a slow shipping problem or an error, it isn't meant to be a personal attack on the Doan family.

And it doesn't matter if your status here on the forums is Shiny Thimble or Moderator, if you are a paying customer, you have certain expectations when you make a business transaction. When they aren't being met, it can be frustrating.

There is a reason that the "Be Kind" message has been stuck to the upper right corner of these forums. The Missouri Star Quilt Company is fighting a battle with explosive growth right now, and none of us can possibly know what battles the others here fight on a daily basis that might make us appear to be impatient or our typewritten words to come across in a way that they were not intended.

We all have this quilting thing in common, and it is something we share with the people we care about. Can we put a few of those loving stitches into our posts more often? :icon_calm:

Lilbitsofthread
August 10th, 2014, 12:22 PM
"We all have this quilting thing in common, and it is something we share with the people we care about. Can we put a few of those loving stitches into our posts more often? "

AMEN!!!

JCY
August 10th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I think this is the longest thread I've ever seen on the forum -- >4,000! Wow. Thanks to BillNye for the explanations. We knew you were working on the kinks in the system. Thanks to everyone at M* for all you do. Love & best wishes to all. JCY

silliness
August 11th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I just wanted to report that I placed an order on August 2 and it shipped on August 8. I should get it today in the mail. It was a combination order of precuts, yardage, Block Magazine, and the Daily Deal. Overall, it seems that the shipping time is improving.

scooter15650
August 23rd, 2014, 01:07 PM
I am a very repeat customer and I think they do a great job. Sometimes it may take a little longer on some things but the service is always great. With as many people that order they are doing a great job in getting everything out as quick as they do. I am looking forward to getting out there some time in the future. Just hang in there and give them another try you won't be disappointed.

erhoel
September 3rd, 2014, 08:35 AM
I have never had a problem. The one time they were short, I ordered three yards and they only had two and a half, a wonderful person in customer service called. I took the two and a half yards and they got the order right out. The orders are arriving much faster now that they opened their new shipping center.

ceiliam
September 3rd, 2014, 01:16 PM
I have never had any issues and I buy from them all the time

jjkaiser
September 4th, 2014, 01:39 AM
Wow these responses are amazing. Get a grip people M is working as hard as possible to fill orders and keep everyone happy. Do you really have to have that fabric today? Is it for a future project? Save your confirmation receipt and next time don't order at the last minute and get mad at THEM for it. Chill out already. I think everyone is spoiled ordering stuff from Amazon and getting it in 2 days.

sharon60
September 4th, 2014, 03:00 AM
I am from Australia and was thinking of placing an order but I may sit back and wait until we get the all clear that orders will be processed asap. Here is Australia we can place an order 1 day and within 2 days its at your door.

kaydee
September 4th, 2014, 03:30 AM
Someone on here objected to a poster's claim that the USPS would charge them to hold their mail. The objecting poster said she called the USPS and "confirmed" there is no charge to hold mail. Right away, I knew she had gotten the wrong info, because I recalled a conversation with a friend last year, about a totally unrelated subject, in which she talked about the charge involved in having her mail held for an extended period of time. I did a little research. If I understand it correctly, you can have your mail held for 3-30 days, for free. After that, you have to pay them to forward you your mail in bulk to your temporary address, or they will just deliver the accumulated mail to your address. So, yeah, there is a charge to have your mail held for an extended period of time. (Personally, I'd love for them to return it to sender after 30 days since it's 99% junk! )

K. McEuen
September 4th, 2014, 04:12 AM
This post is 6 weeks old. There is no reason at all for this to start up again. There is also no reason to continue to post comments in order to "stir thing up."

kaydee
September 4th, 2014, 04:24 AM
The thread may have started six weeks ago, but there were several posts in the last couple of days. I wasn't stirring anything up. I was voicing an opinion. Perhaps you can provide a list of opinions that are acceptable on this forum which specifically asks posters to "Help us grow".

Shame on you for deleting my post. My opinion was honest, reasoned and postive toward M*. The fact that it opposed the dominate opinion of your friends is not sufficient reason to delete it.

kaydee
September 4th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Wow these responses are amazing. Get a grip people M is working as hard as possible to fill orders and keep everyone happy. Do you really have to have that fabric today? Is it for a future project? Save your confirmation receipt and next time don't order at the last minute and get mad at THEM for it. Chill out already. I think everyone is spoiled ordering stuff from Amazon and getting it in 2 days.

Interesting that this post isn't considered "stirring things up", but my post, which was much nicer, was. I guess it's all about who you know!

Bubby
September 4th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I also recommend that you call the store. I feel it's a more direct line to resolving a problem.

bttyboopette
October 27th, 2014, 01:42 PM
I have NEVER had problems with my orders. I can't wait to open the package just see who signed the order form, I luv M*! If I need something right away for a project, I'll go to a local store to get what I need.

Shirley
October 27th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I love M*. I've never had an issue in my orders but I don't order something I need in just a few days. If I need something immediately, I shop local.