PDA

View Full Version : Look what grew in my tomatos

Genny
July 14th, 2014, 08:46 PM
I was on our deck and was looking at our tomatoes and guess whats growing in them....yep...a sunflower! Guess the birds must have dropped one of the sunflower seeds we give them into it. :lol:

Sandy Navas
July 14th, 2014, 08:52 PM
What a pretty surprise.

MayinJerset
July 15th, 2014, 01:49 AM
That really is Mother Nature at its best. Tomato plants look very bushy, mine were always so leggy even when I kept them cut down, what kind are they?

Genny
July 15th, 2014, 02:34 AM
That really is Mother Nature at its best. Tomato plants look very bushy, mine were always so leggy even when I kept them cut down, what kind are they?

They are Big Boy plants and a couple are Sweet 100's. I use furtilizer on them every 2 weeks and they're loaded with tomatoes but none are ripening yet. I'm afraid they're not getting enough sun.

easyquilts
July 15th, 2014, 05:35 AM
How pretty...

ravelim
July 15th, 2014, 10:31 AM
What a great surprise. It's really pretty. I think tomatoes are a little late this year. At least they are up here.

HandsomeRyan
July 15th, 2014, 10:41 AM
They are Big Boy plants ... they're loaded with tomatoes but none are ripening yet.

Green tomatoes are delicious! Cut them into slices as if you were making a sandwich or burger, a little salt and pepper, then throw them on a hot grill (or a grill pan in your kitchen) for about 2-3 minutes on each side then serve with a little ranch or bleu cheese dressing. Almost as good as fried but not as heavy to eat.

Not my picture but a good example:
http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipe/images/grilled-green-tomatoes-550-2.jpg

jsmetcalf
July 15th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I love my fried green tomatoes breaded with panko/corn meal mix with a dash of cayenne pepper served with a spicy remoulade sauce. I have window sill full of ripening tomatoes. Think I'll go snatch a green one and make it for dinner. Ryan's picture made me hungry for them!!! :)

klgls
July 15th, 2014, 11:07 AM
What a happy sunny surprise!!

MayinJerset
July 15th, 2014, 11:09 AM
They are Big Boy plants and a couple are Sweet 100's. I use furtilizer on them every 2 weeks and they're loaded with tomatoes but none are ripening yet. I'm afraid they're not getting enough sun.

Big Boy tomatoes are the best.

WendyI
July 15th, 2014, 12:35 PM
What an awesome surprise! So beautiful!

Liberty
July 15th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Sunflowers are so happy :)