PDA

View Full Version : New Furbaby in my life

RiverMomm
July 14th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Not so long ago, we lost our Maine Coon to cancer. It was a rough ride watching him wilt away. He was really a special and unique cat who had declared to all that I was his. It doesn't happen often to have such a special bond and he really did enrich my life.
About a week or so after KC's death, our other kitty became depressed. I have heard of pets getting depression but this was a first for me. Then he got sick. He would go outside all day and just sit under a bush. Vet visits and worry.
DH and I talked about maybe another cat to help everyone (human and cats) deal with our loss. I didn't think I was ready but Cesar was just beyond sad. DH looked at me and said-you will know when it's time and you will know the right cat when you see it. (think "feel the force, Luke")

I found a rescue kitten and brought him home. This little guy is full of spit and fire and had not a moment of trouble making our house his home. Cesar was mad as heck. But, he wasn't sad anymore. He ate because that darn kitten was near his food. He slept near me for the same reason.
Slowly the kitten has snuggled up to Cesar. And slowly Cesar has accepted him. There have been moments of licking and bliss-right up there with hissing and slaps.

So, with great pride, I introduce our new furbaby. Monty.

bubba
July 14th, 2014, 06:39 PM
That picture in the fern is really cute....looks like he is full of piss and vinegar!

pcbatiks
July 14th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Hi Vicky, cute little cat. Love the picture with Cesar giving the new kid the "Evil Eye." Congrats.

laura44
July 14th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Cute little kitty, good for you!

Bubby
July 14th, 2014, 07:50 PM
New life in the home after losing a beloved pet can be a very good thing. Congratulations on your new furbaby!

Eriepatch
July 14th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Vicky we had the same thing happen when one of our dogs died. The younger one was just like your cat.
Wouldn't eat, laid under the dining room table and mourned. 3 months later we got a puppy and the
first day our other dog was leary then they became best friends and played constantly. Unfortunately
the older dog died in 3 years but what fun they had for awhile!

yoyoing
July 14th, 2014, 08:02 PM
I love it when things work out congratulations on your new family member and bubba has made my day. piss and vinegar lol

Sandy Navas
July 14th, 2014, 08:25 PM
I have to share a cat story - TRUE, because I lived this one. (It's been shared here before . . . )

You may know that Al and I lived overseas for many years. There was a native family who were raising cats (they knew nothing about them, actually) and they had a whole littler of beautiful little white, semi-long-haired, kittens with blue eyes. A friend of ours lived close by and one of the kittens kept showing up at her house to eat. She asked me to come help her 'rescue' or capture the kitten. We worked for hours and days and had no luck.

Fast forward a week or so, my friend was scheduled to leave on vacation and on her way to the airport she stopped by my house with a cat carrier. Inside was this gorgeous little male kitten, scared to death. Hissing, snarling, lashing out with sharp claws, he was NOT about to be integrated into our family. So, he was given a wonderful home in our bathroom. And, he gained a name: Catspur.

One day we decided that Catspur, though we couldn't touch him or do anything except feed, water and change his litter, needed to have a bigger space to roam. We left the bathroom door open. We came home to NO cat - but a subtle roar from behind the refrigerator . . . and when rescued, a very BLACK and dirty cat. We fixed it so he couldn't get behind the refrigerator.

Catspur lived in our home for about FOUR months and we only caught a faint glimpse of him now and then. He ate, drank, used his litter box faithfully, and then he HID.

I was at the veterinarian's office on day and there was an ad wanting a home for a kitten. At this point the kitten and Catspur were about the same age. I looked and decided that he would be a perfect friend for Catspur and maybe with company Catspur would warm up and know that we loved him . . . even though we seldom saw him. So, having a RED-ORANGE tiger-stripped kitten in tow, I went home. Our new addition was named Tabasco. Tabasco was one of the most affectionate, loving, cuddly cats I have ever known. He was such a wonderful friendly, appreciative cat and we loved him.

Catspur, on the other hand, HATED Tabasco. And every day when I returned from work I'd find bits of cat hair (various shades of red mixed with some white), and drops of blood all over the house. My idea of giving Catspur a friend to enjoy did NOT work. And Catspur remained a ghost-like presence in our home. We very, very seldom saw him.

Came the day I was so disturbed because of the wars being fought while I was at work - I placed an ad in the vet's office with both cats' pictures (a quickie of Catspur) with a suitcase. I wrote up a clever little ad about "One of Us HAS to Go", telling their individual stories . . . and kept my fingers crossed. I got a call, someone had recently lost their prized pet due to old age and would love to adopt Tabasco. So, arrangements were made.

Came the day Tabasco was supposed to go to his new home and all went well. Remember that we seldom saw Catspur - a glimpse of white now and then - and if trapped in a corner, don't even try to touch him - his claws were razor blades. Tabasco was a friendly soul though - so he raced over to his new owner, climbed into his lap, gave out wonderful kitty kisses, followed the guy to his car (literally, as if on a leash); and, laying across the back of the driver's seat,he journeyed off to a new found love.

I go back into the house, tears in my eyes because Tabasco was gone - and he was the absolute BEST cat I had ever been around. I sat on the couch trying to control my tears. And, you just won't believe it, but Catspur came running down the hall, climbed onto the couch and into my lap. Thus began a loving relationship, FINALLY. He was now MY cat. I still can't believe that it took that long to find out that we weren't going to hurt him (at least SIX months). He even traveled back to the US of A with me and lived a wonderful life here. He now rests out in one of our flower gardens - and I quite often think of what a wonderful pet and friend he turned out to be.

TRUE STORY

ozziepuppy
July 14th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Both of your fur babies are adorable. Congratulations on a successful transition. The photos are great--thanks for sharing!

Amy R
July 14th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Congratulations on your new fur baby. It's never easy to lose a beloved companion and sometimes it takes the little paws of someone else to help hold together the broken pieces of our hearts. May they live long and healthy and loved lives!

alliek
July 14th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Sandy: I think Catspur was a very smart cat, but he did not know how to be affectionate or what it was until he saw Tabasco. After T. left, he wasn't going to allow any other cat to gain an edge so he imitated what pleased you. Cat's are amazing. I so enjoyed your story and Vicky's. Loved the pics. They made my evening. Thanks so much for sharing.

Kgrammiecaz
July 14th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Looks like the two will be wonderful friends. It was a good match.

And Sandy omg. I would have been in tears before during and after. I am so glad it worked out and catspir is getting some loving that he finally figured out was ok to get