PDA

View Full Version : impromtu road trip.....

bubba
July 13th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Got in the car and headed south. Stopped at Ruby Street quilt shop in Tumwater to check out their row by row pattern.....will be returning there w/out MM watching my every move! Then onward to Oregon!!! Went to one of our favorite places to eat then headed north to Lake Oswego and the Pine Needle quilt shop. Oh my goodness!!!!! I don't know if any of you get their catalog, but I do and it makes me drool. Going into their shop almost sent me into a seizure of one kind or another!!! It's not huge, but the fabric they have is to die for! And the flannels......oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm too lazy to go upstairs and get my iPad for pictures tonight, but I'll do it when I get up tomorrow, well later today!

From there we headed north again, to Powells bookstore in Portland. Was worried for a minute it was closed as major renovations were being done out front. Phew!!! You could still get into the back and once inside, I picked up a Tula Pink 100 block book.

And next we headed east to the land of Fabric Depot! I was sorry the sewing machine part had already closed for the day because I really wanted to shop there! However, the fabric was more than enough to keep me happy and I managed to get fabric for a couple of bags. I saw a Jenny Byer pattern for a large carpet bag tote, but did not want to pay for one of their jelly rolls of her fabric. Even though everything in the store was 30% off, it still would have been over $30! Naturally on the way home, I check the daily deal and what do I see and buy??? And here I sit with no pattern! Guess I'll have to take another road trip, because they have a large selection of her fabrics and I never see any of them up here. I'll post pictures of these goodies tomorrow as well.

This pooped lady is headed for bed!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 13th, 2014, 07:56 AM
I'll have to make a list of your Portland fabric shops for the names for when I go to visit my sister. Been to Fabric Depot, that place is UNREAL! So many batiks! Sounds like you had a great but very long day!

Monique
July 13th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Sounds like a blast. I am glad you had a good day.

bubba
July 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Oh Jean....I could spend many many hours there! I didn't even really get to look at the batiks much because by then my foot was killing me so I was driving their little cart around and it was hard to maneuver the rows over in that section. Believe me, I was drooling from a distance!

whippetmom
July 13th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I have heard from people that Fabric Depot was supposed to be great. I have gone to Mill Ends in Portland but nothing else, I was not quilting at that time and they had a wonderful selection of fleece and denim for cheap prices. . I will have to take a trip to other shops to check them out. Is Powells Books easy to get to? I have a friend in Portland we usually go visit with the dogs, she has gone to Powells and sent us stuff, but maybe we need to go take a trip ourselves. The STP was yesterday and today, so we stayed home to not get trapped by bicycles.

Doloris
July 13th, 2014, 03:24 PM
scared me there for a minute. Thought you might be bringing me all the bag patterns to do. :)

bubba
July 13th, 2014, 03:49 PM
scared me there for a minute. Thought you might be bringing me all the bag patterns to do. :)

I'll be flying back with those!!! With the perks from my daughter, I can check two bags!!!! hahahaha!!!!

Doloris
July 13th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Come on over!!! What trouble we can get into. I live 30 minutes from Holmes County, one of the largest Amish communities in the US. Lots of quilt stores there. :)

Angelia
July 14th, 2014, 02:16 AM
I love Pine Needle' s website--I love flannel and would be in real trouble there!

bubba
July 14th, 2014, 02:56 AM
I love Pine Needle' s website--I love flannel and would be in real trouble there!

To feel it, is divine!!

bubba
July 14th, 2014, 02:57 AM
I have heard from people that Fabric Depot was supposed to be great. I have gone to Mill Ends in Portland but nothing else, I was not quilting at that time and they had a wonderful selection of fleece and denim for cheap prices. . I will have to take a trip to other shops to check them out. Is Powells Books easy to get to? I have a friend in Portland we usually go visit with the dogs, she has gone to Powells and sent us stuff, but maybe we need to go take a trip ourselves. The STP was yesterday and today, so we stayed home to not get trapped by bicycles.

Powell's is very easy to get to! It's in NW Portland, on 10th. Yesterday I learned the streets in that area are in numerical order on direction and alphabetical the other, so it's easy to get around.

Where exactly is Mill Ends? Never been there!

whippetmom
July 14th, 2014, 01:26 PM
They have two stores in and near the Portland area. I believe we went to the one a little ways southeast of Portland. I am so confused as my friend drove (too many one way streets in Portland for me to navigate). I really liked their supply of end table denims and fleece. The two stores are in Portland and one in Beaverton. If you want fleece, that is the place to go, and without sales tax it works out quite nicely. They used to have three stores, guess one closed. The one we went to was near the Pendleton Mills store. I will have to make a trip to Fabric Depot, sounds like fun.

bubba
July 14th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I forgot to mention....the clerk that was helping me said earlier that day four busses from Sisters quilt show pulled up! Two were full of people from England. I asked how far it was and she said about five hours driving! While we were there, another bus pulled in.....an hour before closing! She said they were opening at 1000 the next morning, however the first bus was getting there at 0900, so everyone was coming in an hour early! All I can say is I was glad I was leaving as they were getting there.

traildancer
July 23rd, 2014, 01:22 PM
I was in PDX a couple of weeks ago and went to Powell's with my friend. She wasn't feeling well and went back to the car. When I was finished in the store I had to call her on my cell phone because I had no idea which direction I was supposed to turn to go back to my car!

Yes, I live outside a very small town.

bubba
July 23rd, 2014, 01:52 PM
Powell's is a small town!!