PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 inch boning

Genny
July 12th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Ok, I joined the Thread Catcher Swap and never having made one of these I purchased a pattern from Esty. My question is...it calls for 1/2 inch boning...what is this? Any help will be appreciated!

Bubby
July 12th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Boning is something to be run around the opening to your catcher to help it stay open. You can find it at any large fabric store. It used to be used in corsets to help them hold their shape. At one point in history real bones were used. I think boning is made from plastic nowadays.

Genny
July 12th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Thanks...I'll check Joann's Fabrics or Nancys Notions online. The only thing we have around here is Walmart.

Slokarma
July 12th, 2014, 05:50 PM
You could always go catch a whale.....(whalebone, baleen)

Genny
July 12th, 2014, 05:56 PM
You could always go catch a whale.....(whalebone, baleen)

Don't think there's any in Lake Rathbun:lol:

Hulamoon
July 12th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Don't use your good scissors to cut it. :)

Slokarma
July 12th, 2014, 06:02 PM
LOL!

I remembered them calling it whalebone and then I thought maybe I just made that up and then i read about baleen. Yes Martha, it was called whalebone.

monklesmom
July 12th, 2014, 06:03 PM
It will be with the elastic by the yard section. It will be white casing or black casing over a flat plastic piece. When cutting, cut it a smidgen bigger than you need then slide out the boning(plastic part) and round the edges and cut it down a bit! then you can close the casing so the boning doesn't escape from the casing. Rounding the edges is vital if using in a dress, and helps from poking through material on everything else!

Sandy Navas
July 12th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Or, just a suggestion here - cut from a plastic milk bottle - half gallon size is about right unless you are sending to a prolific stitcher. Then I'd think about a two gallon size . . . Another thing that would work is the carpenter's metal ruler pieces . . .

Hulamoon
July 12th, 2014, 06:10 PM
I have seen tut's that use embroidery hoops too.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 12th, 2014, 07:09 PM
HDWench ( Debbie) showed me something that she uses for boning her corsets, electrician's cable ties, the longer ones are also wider and stiffer, potentially cheaper, and you mat be able to steal one from hubby's workshop!

Claire Hallman
July 12th, 2014, 07:51 PM
I used some packing strapping that came off a box I received. It was stiff plastic, a good size and it worked just great for free.
If you check the floor in your local Lowes/Home Depot you will probably find some laying around.

Genny
July 12th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Don't use your good scissors to cut it. :)

Thanks for telling me this because I probably would have!

Genny
July 12th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks everyone for all this great info! :icon_tup:Now I have ideas of what to look for.

TheYarnmaiden
July 12th, 2014, 10:19 PM
OH my goodness don't use your fabric scissors to cut w/e you decide to use for boning.
Don't bother looking for corseting supplies either, you don't need spring steel for a thread catcher. ((Baleen aka whale bone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baleen), isn't bone... bone would be horrid for a corset... that plastic stuff is also horrid for a corset you need to actually be structural. Makes my eyebrow twitchy... ))

That plastic "bridal"/"formal wear" stuff that walmart (if yours still has a fabric section) may have (joann's for sure has it, on a spool buy by length, and by the box) just use your kitchen sheers... or random not for paper or fabric scissors.

This tutorial (http://www.merrimentdesign.com/pincushion-thread-catcher.php) uses a bit of plastic clothes line to hold the catcher open. I imagine any heavy gauge wire would do the same. Just make the loop the size you need and tape it off before casing it to avoid stabby end bits.

Monique
July 13th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I used wire that is used for flower stems. I think I used about three or four at a time.

mary3100
July 13th, 2014, 08:57 AM
I always just use the plastic strapping from shipped boxes.

sidesaddles
July 13th, 2014, 09:07 AM
LOL Quilters are so resourceful. Love all these great ideas.

Genny
July 13th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I love all these ideas too!!! Thanks!!!

bubba
July 13th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks...I'll check Joann's Fabrics or Nancys Notions online. The only thing we have around here is Walmart.

They do sell it at Joanns, and it is covered plastic. Very easy to cut to size.

Pandabear
July 13th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Plastic zip ties may work, depending on how big the mouth of the thread catcher is. I just picked up the plastic boning for one at Hancock Fabrics.

LoveMyMachines
July 14th, 2014, 12:12 AM
I used some packing strapping that came off a box I received. It was stiff plastic, a good size and it worked just great for free.
If you check the floor in your local Lowes/Home Depot you will probably find some laying around.

I put my two cents in this. Package strapping works perfectly! I always find it for free!