PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow!!!!

Leah53
July 11th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Literally, holy cow! Have you seen the price of beef lately? We have always bought our meat at a meat processing market, we were buying ground round, the good stuff, for 3.69 lb, in 6 months it has gone up a dollar to 4.69 lb. I buy 20 lbs at a time and they are good enough to package it into 1 lb packages for me so all I have to do is throw them in the freezer and they use freezer bags at my request instead of the wrapped paper that you have to peel off the thawed meat and they don't charge me extra.

What's a family to do? I have always been the master of making a lb of hamburg go further than is humanly possible because I have known what it's like to be poor, don't let my fabric stash fool you, I still am by todays standards. How far can the average person make a lb of hamburg go? If you have a family of 6 will a lb feed all of you for a meal or will it take 2 lbs which ups the cost of just the meat in your meal $10, now add the other ingredients in the meal, even if you're making chili or soup. So that's an average of $15-20 a dinner, that's $105 a week just for dinner now add breakfast and lunches, sorry you can't afford snacks, desserts and drinks. If a family of 6 is bringing home $400 - 500 a week, they will spend half of that on food.

My father always used to tell me, "as long as you own land you'll never be poor", he was wrong but then again he never anticipated, how could he, how bad inflation was going to get.

I'm in a fortunate position where I own everything I have, no mortgage, no car payment, no nothing except about $400 a month in household bills and extras like car insurance. We gave up cable tv years ago and bought a digital tv box and a roof antenna so we save almost $100 a month on that, any cable shows I want to watch I watch on the internet, Project Free TV - Watch all your favorite tv shows and movies online free (http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/) which also has movies and we have Netflix for $8.50 a month. We make sacrifices all the time to make ends meet or if we want something extra we sacrifice something else to get what we want. We don't have fancy I phones, we still live in the 20th century, we don't need a constant electronic gadget permanently stuck to our hands and ears. Most people don't know how to sacrifice or don't want to and that's what gets them into financial trouble, they want what they want when they want it, they are going to be in for a rude awakening soon.

I have my suspicions on how bad it's going to get, so how bad do you think it's going to get?

K. McEuen
July 11th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Corn to feed the cows has gone up and will continue to go up because of the drought. So that causes the price of beef, pork and chicken to go up. Milk, eggs, cheese and on and on. Gas prices go up so transporting all the food costs more too.

As much as we complin, we still pay less for things than people in other countries do.

Leah53
July 11th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Corn to feed the cows has gone up and will continue to go up because of the drought. So that causes the price of beef, pork and chicken to go up. Milk, eggs, cheese and on and on. Gas prices go up so transporting all the food costs more too.

As much as we complin, we still pay less for things than people in other countries do.

I understand the process probably more than most but that doesn't answer the question, what are people going to do?

Our paying less for product doesn't mean that our situation is not going to get dire, it doesn't matter much to those who are destitute that we pay less. And not to sound heartless, I could care less about the rest of the world when our children are going hungry.

Texas Jean
July 11th, 2014, 04:26 PM
If you have food in your fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep you are richer than 75% of the world.
If you have money in the bank, your wallet, and some spare change you are among the top 8% of the wordl’s wealthy.
If you woke up this morning with more health than illness you are more blessed than the million people who will not survive this week.
If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the agony of imprisonment or torture, or the horrible pangs of starvation vou are luckier than 500 million people alive and suffering.
If you can read this message you are more fortunate than 3 billion people in the world who cannot read it at all.

That being said, one of the things our family does is have at least one meatless meal a week and believe me we are far from being vegetarian.

Leah53
July 11th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Interesting that, thus far, there seems to be more sympathy for other parts of the world than for us here in the United States.

It would probably be more productive to start a thread on inexpensive meal recipes otherwise this will end up being a very political thread which will offend the masses. That being said, Texas Jean, why don't you start by share a recipe that doesn't include meat, I would be interested and maybe add a cost analysis.

ldnanny3
July 11th, 2014, 05:09 PM
That is one of the benefits of living on a ranch, we have our own cows and chickens so we don't buy eggs either. Love country living.

Texas Jean
July 11th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Interesting that, thus far, there seems to be more sympathy for other parts of the world than for us here in the United States.

It would probably be more productive to start a thread on inexpensive meal recipes otherwise this will end up being a very political thread which will offend the masses. That being said, Texas Jean, why don't you start by share a recipe that doesn't include meat, I would be interested and maybe add a cost analysis.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be judgmental. Macaroni and cheese makes a good main dish. A big pot of dried beans with cornbread (all you need is one ham hock). One of our favorite meals is corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes & cantaloupe/avocado salad with poppy seed dressing. Corn is 6 ears for $1 right now. Chicken & dumplings (2 breasts will feed an army). Vegetable soup, I buy one pound of stew meat and cut it in halves or quarters. Red beans & rice.

K. McEuen
July 11th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Bottom line is people will have to adjust their spending/eating habits accordingly. If there is something you want, you give up something else - I think we've all done it before and will continue to do it when we need to.

Leah53
July 11th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I didn't take it as judgmental I'm just frustrated that, as much as we would like, we can't take on the worlds problems, we need to start with ourselves. I'm not in dire straits but I know people who are even with food stamps. I'm not an advocate of food stamps but I am aware of the need and the fact that they won't go as far as needed now for those who really need them. The elderly barely get $50 a month which isn't much help to them. We all need to learn to cook from scratch but even that isn't as cheap as it used to be. Okay, so I'm preaching not doing, I don't normally cook from scratch, I'm more of the restaurant kind of person since I hate cooking but I do what I gotta do when I gotta do it.

The ideas you gave are good ones even though I don't subscribe to them myself. I don't eat pasta as I'm trying to lose weight and have cut out most "white" food from my diet. I'm fat because of pasta, I grew up on it, lots and lots of it, it's what I call poor people's food, it's inexpensive that's why you see more fat poor people than fat rich people. I have only in the last year gotten so I can tolerate rice, I buy the zatarans, they are cheap but I don't eat much of it, maybe a quarter to half a cup when I do eat it. I don't eat much cheese, stopped liking it as a kid when we were constantly served welsh rarebit for school lunches, lots and lots of melted cheese poured over crackers. yeck! My family, which consists of my husband and oldest granddaughter do like cheese and rice so I make it for them. I'll eat cheese if it's provolone, mozerella or white american, that's it.

I will start a thread on this in the recipe section, I hope you will contribute. It may not be needed by you and I at this point but there may be others on the forum who could benefit from it and it wouldn't hurt for everyone to know in case they ever do need the information. I know some of you may not be worried but I am. DH hasn't worked much this summer, he's in construction building houses, not much call for that in our area anymore, he builds for the rich and they aren't spending the money and when the rich don't spend money it's cause for concern. He's self employed but he's been working a lot for someone he's known for years and this man just found out he has cancer and has closed up shop, he's thrown a couple of jobs DH's way but basically DH is out of work. He has gotten a couple of decent jobs on his own but those are drying up and when summer ends those will be gone. So yeah, I'm a bit worried.

I am a survivalist of sorts so I do have food stocked up, have alternate heat and power etc so I am a little ahead of the game but those stocks could dry up quickly. I got injured on the job about 20 years ago and found out real fast how quickly things can go south, all it takes it one accident, one unplanned event and you have to struggle for survival. I was a single mother at the time and had to figure out real fast how to survive it and survive it I did.

Terri
July 11th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Just to lighten the mood a little......it was a BIG relief to our grocery bill when our 4 teenage sons graduated HS & either went on to college, got married or moved out! At one point they were say 13, 16, 17 & 18, and they are not small boys. Son #1 5'10" appx 160lbs, son #2 6'2" appx 250 lbs, son #3 6'1" appx 150lbs & son #4 6'1 appx 150lbs...each one solid as a rock & an appetite like a bear. I could buy $250 in groceries today & tomorrow at least one of them would say "Momma there's nothing to eat in here!" There was a time I was buying 6 to 8 gallons of milk per week! Our grocery bill has gone down significantly, so has our water bill, electric & gas bill and our car insurance too. Having them close together and them leaving the nest close together we noticed the change very quickly. I don't know what we would do now since I am stating what I spent 14 years ago! :-/ As someone else said....we would adjust where necessary.

Mchelem
July 11th, 2014, 06:39 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be judgmental. Macaroni and cheese makes a good main dish. A big pot of dried beans with cornbread (all you need is one ham hock). One of our favorite meals is corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes & cantaloupe/avocado salad with poppy seed dressing. Corn is 6 ears for $1 right now. Chicken & dumplings (2 breasts will feed an army). Vegetable soup, I buy one pound of stew meat and cut it in halves or quarters. Red beans & rice.

I don't eat chicken unless I kill it myself-they inject them with too many unknowns. Same with beef. We mostly eat deer. I haven't bought store bought in probably 8 years. We just got chickens, so our eggs are now hormone free as well.
Tomatoes in this area are extremely expensive. Avocados too.
Can't have cornbread, dumplings, macaroni, spaghetti noodles, etc- I am allergic to gluten.

And I do agree that we need to be focusing on fixing our own country before we try to fix everyone else's. We have veterans sleeping on the streets because theres no room in shelters, yet we can open new places for thousands of illegals?? Sorry, that doesn't sit well with me.

Leah53
July 11th, 2014, 06:51 PM
And I do agree that we need to be focusing on fixing our own country before we try to fix everyone else's. We have veterans sleeping on the streets because theres no room in shelters, yet we can open new places for thousands of illegals?? Sorry, that doesn't sit well with me.

Agree 1000 %.

I wish I was married to the great white hunter but unfortunately I can't get him to hunt or fish, have yet to figure out why. He says he doesn't like to fish unless it's in a boat, okay, let's buy a boat, nope, he says it's just a money pit. (insert roll eyes here) He keeps wanting to buy more rifles, what for I ask, we already have several, I think it's just a macho thing.

Last year he said he was going to plant a garden, I laughed and laughed and laughed, you guessed it, no garden. I have bought heirloom seeds and know how to save seeds but doesn't do any good if we don't plant the seeds in the first place. I have health issues which preclude me from doing the labor which really sucks because I used to plant my own garden, hunt and fish.

Forgot to mention, if it doesn't involve woodworking or golf, he's not interested.

whippetmom
July 11th, 2014, 06:53 PM
All prices are going up, we are just figuring out really good sensible recipes. I cook about every other day and then we have left-overs the next. I noticed that even though I am buying for just the two of us and not anyone else anymore, the bill is about the same. So YES food , gas , electricity, heating have gone up. I am on a budget plan with all the utilities, and hope that I do not get a whopper of a bill at the end of the cycle. It will get worse, we just take it a day at a time. I count us very fortunate, but still watch every penny.

Leah53
July 11th, 2014, 07:15 PM
One thing this thread has done is motivate me to clean cabinets, I'm finding all kinds of stuff I didn't know I had.

oldsewer
July 11th, 2014, 08:09 PM
You are under estimating the value of other protein sources, such as beans. Nutritious, delicious and inexpensive. You can feed a lot of people with 1 pound of beans and a tiny amount of meat for flavoring, and lots of added veg. Your neighbors or farmers markets have wonderful produce in most areas this time of year, for modest prices. You don't need meat at every meal; particularly if you are following a weight loss type diet. Does it take a little more work? yes. and more planning also. But many of us have been eating this way for years, and it can be done. You can grow many veg in pots or planters, not much work. The internet is full of healthy, economical recipes for you to experiment with. I also have a Rival Handy Chopper, after hamburger is cooked, put it through the chopper and it chops it up finer. Makes 3/4 lb seem like 1lb. No one will even notice if you cut back 1/4 pound in most recipes. You can do this, just start with a positive attitude, add some research and some experimenting. Good luck.

Leah53
July 11th, 2014, 08:13 PM
You don't need meat at every meal;

I don't believe you! :D

oldsewer
July 11th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Your agenda is showing. If this was just a rant, I wish you would have said so, I would not have bothered to respond to you with respect, kindness and practical alternatives for you to consider. oldsewer

Leah53
July 11th, 2014, 08:21 PM
A sense of humor in situations of adversity will go a long way. Now please explain my "agenda" if you would, I would really like to know what it is.

JCY
July 11th, 2014, 09:49 PM
I eat very little beef. Maybe an occasional jr. bacon cheeseburger at Wendy's. I eat mostly turkey or chicken. I buy organic where possible. We quit eating beef several yrs. ago b/c it made our joints ache, & there was all the concern re: mad cow disease, etc. When you read about the stuff (including dead cows!) they put in the feed that cows eat, you probably won't want to eat beef at all. The prices of all groc. keep going up. Not just beef. Since we're retired & live on a fixed income, our income sure doesn't keep up with inflation. JCY

Vonnie
July 11th, 2014, 09:53 PM
I eat very little beef. Maybe an occasional jr. bacon cheeseburger at Wendy's. I eat mostly turkey or chicken. I buy organic where possible. We quit eating beef several yrs. ago b/c it made our joints ache, & there was all the concern re: mad cow disease, etc. When you read about the stuff (including dead cows!) they put in the feed that cows eat, you probably won't want to eat beef at all. The prices of all groc. keep going up. Not just beef. Since we're retired & live on a fixed income, our income sure doesn't keep up with inflation. JCY

Could you tell me more about the meat making your joints ache? Sometimes in the morning I can hardly move because it feels like all my bones and joints hurt.

JCY
July 11th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Hi, Vonnie ~ I think it was my older sister who made the connection & noticed that eating beef made her joints ache. DH & I did a trial of no beef. In fact, for a while, we went vegetarian, but that was too high carb for me, as I became borderline diabetic. We noticed when we did not eat beef that we felt better & did not have the joint aches. I also did an internet search on what was fed to cows & learned about Mad Cow Disease. It was very enlightening what all is allowed in cow feed. It's really disgusting. Probably the eye opener for me was reading the info. by Howard F. Lyman, the Mad Cowboy. He wrote a book entitled "Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat." He was a 4th generation dairy farmer & cattle rancher who used all the modern methods, but ended up with a rare spinal tumor that led him to examine his life. You can read more about it on his web site. He says, "If you're a meat-eater in America, you have a right to know that you have something in common with most of the cows you've eaten. They've eaten meat, too." Processed slaughterhouse leftovers are sold for animal feed.

Concerning your joint aches ~ How much sugar or sweet products do you consume? Sugar can make your joints ache, too. I read once that as little as 1 tsp. of sugar can suppress one's immune system for up to 4 hrs. Also, do you drink soda pop? There are a lot of harmful chemicals in pop. The aspartame in sugar-free soda is an excitotoxin & actually destroys nerve fibers in the brain. Long-term use of aspartame (& MSG) may be influential in the development of a lot of the neurological diseases we're seeing, such as MS, Parkinson's, ALS, etc. It pays to eat healthy & avoid the chemicals & food additives as much as possible. JCY

Vonnie
July 12th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Thanks JCY.

You have given me something to think about.

I wonder if honey is in the same category as sugar? Some things just need something sweet added to it like a bowl of oatmeal.

alliek
July 12th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Vonnie, The best honey to buy is from a bee keeper with no additives. Honey is good for you. Of course, everything in moderation, but there is no benefit in refined sugar. A friend of mine also suffered from pains in her legs etc. her doc told her to cut out red meat, she did and had a vast improvement. For what it's worth. Hope you feel better.:icon_tup:

ozziepuppy
July 12th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Hmmm. I wake up every morning with aches in my muscles and joints. Already can't eat gluten. Now I have to think about meat and sugar. How long until you can tell a difference? A week? A month?

Terry L
July 12th, 2014, 09:49 PM
We have always raised our own beef and the cost of feed just keeps going up. We have pastures and that helps a lot unless it's a drought year. I think I would have sticker shock if I ever had to buy it at Wal-Mart. With feed it still runs about $1.48 lb to have them dressed out. Plus we get our dog food from the scraps not much goes to waste. Our garden also gets a little bigger every year. So how bad are things going to get? Only time will tell but I am not going to wait to find out.

JCY
July 16th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Give it 3-4 wks. as a trial. JCY

JCY
July 16th, 2014, 12:30 AM
I have used Stevia for several years. I don't use it in baking, but I use it for tea, cereal, etc.