PDA

View Full Version : Mid-life crisis fun car recommendations?

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 11th, 2014, 12:46 AM
My car was totaled by a falling tree branch. I bought it new *fifteen* years ago so I had a good long time with it. Right now I'm fantasy car-shopping. Always in the past I have bought sensible, practical cars, but I'm thinking of something fun this time that won't break the bank. We live in Missouri so it needs to be able to handle some cold weeks every year (5 degrees F or so) and some snow. We already have a Subaru with a winter package that can do long road trips and the hardware store so I'm thinking about a small car. Does anyone have something fun that might fit the bill? No Porsches or BMWs; I'm thinking more Mini Cooper or Fiat 500 or VW Beetle. Any reviews or suggestions?

K. McEuen
July 11th, 2014, 12:52 AM
My first car was the old school VW Beetle. My two older sisters had them as well. My oldest sister recently sold her 2004 Beetle and within 2 weeks was complaining how she missed it. She kept the new car, not sure what it is, but she sure loved that bug.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 11th, 2014, 12:56 AM
I have had 3 mid-life crisis cars! Ok, some were way past mid-life! But they were all red! My last one was a hot little red convertible, a 2006 Toyota Solara! That car turned heads even when it was years old. Old age hit me this past year, so I sold it. I have a cute little Scion xB boxy thing now, pimped up with fun accessories! I love it because it is low to the ground, and I can get in and out of it easily!

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 11th, 2014, 01:01 AM
And let me guess, you have a mid-life crisis sewing machine too ;)

Hulamoon
July 11th, 2014, 01:05 AM
I have a little ECHO . I needed a car like right now. Me, I would get a RAV4. I like to garden and need to haul dirt. lol

Angelia
July 11th, 2014, 01:08 AM
My midlife crisismobile is a bright red GMC regular cab pickup with a silver toolbox in the back--hey, it's what I always wanted! However, since I really don't like driving, my eight-year-old truck has less than 15,000 miles. :)

K. McEuen
July 11th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Hehe, I drive a Crew Max Toyota Tundra. I like it because I'm tall and it's high enough that I don't feel like I am getting up off the ground when I get in and out. Jean climbed up into it last year, but it had a step for her. ;)

Jean Sewing Machine
July 11th, 2014, 01:23 AM
Hehe, I drive a Crew Max Toyota Tundra. I like it because I'm tall and it's high enough that I don't feel like I am getting up off the ground when I get in and out. Jean climbed up into it last year, but it had a step for her. ;)
Thank heaven for that step! My friend has a Suburban wit NO STEP! I have to crawl into it like a toddler climbimg on the couch! Or swing up like a monkey climbing a tree!

BobW
July 11th, 2014, 01:24 AM
I'm thinking a new VW Beetle convertible in a really bright red

I didn't mean to make an ad for Joe Machens, I didn't expect the pic to have their info. I hope I haven't violated the TOS.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 11th, 2014, 01:29 AM
I'm thinking a new VW Beetle convertible in a really bright red

I didn't mean to make an ad for Joe Machens, I didn't expect the pic to have their info. I hope I haven't violated the TOS.My Scion was found at Machens in Columbia!

Definitely get it in red!

K. McEuen
July 11th, 2014, 01:40 AM
My sister's was bright red, but then again her old school VW was red too. I think those were the only two red cars she ever owned.

Angelia
July 11th, 2014, 02:05 AM

I'd much rather climb up to get in than climb up to get out! :)

bubba
July 11th, 2014, 02:16 AM
MM bought me a PT Cruiser when they first came out....it was red. I got rid of it after six years of listening to him complain about it. I then got a Ford Freestyle. It was HUGE...three rows of seating and really long! Then after two years of it, a woman I worked with, whom I didn't care for, got one! And then another gal got one! That was enough for me to trade mine in and I got a Dodge Nitro. I love SUV's (because of a serious accident I was in years ago), I feel much safer in them.

If I were going to get a car now, which I'm not, it would be a Nissan Juke. I have never driven one, but I have looked at them, and they are just cute....that is the only reason - I like their look!

Terri
July 11th, 2014, 07:28 AM
My mid life crisis car was really my DH's mid life crisis car! He was 44 and I was 41 when we bought it. After 15+ yrs in different mini vans--running our four growing sons around, I wanted a CAR! He picked it out. Granted it was beautiful and I still miss it. It was a brand new 2003 Pontiac Grand Am, fire engine red. Leather interior, dual exhaust, ram air (whatever that is), great sound system, sun roof.....all the bells & whistles for that time. DH told me that I deserved it. :) Well from the time we purchased it April 2004 until we traded it in on a 2007 Nitro in April 2007 it was in 5 (Yes, FIVE) accidents! First I was rear ended just 4 mo after buying it by an insurance agents wife, no less. Then 11 mo after that a brand new Chevy pick up pulled out in front of me, I t-boned her. My original estimate was over $8000, but ended up just short of $11,000. The more they worked on it, the more they found wrong. I was without my car for just short of 11 wks, and all the judge did was fine this 17 yr old driver with failure to yield the right of way and fined her $78!!! Talk about ticked off!!!!!! My youngest son was rear ended twice, one time being on the night he graduated from HS. The last one, the only one technically our fault....my DH hit a deer! When I said something to each and every insurance adjuster I talked with about people NOT being able to see a RED car, they said that red cars are in more accidents than any other color car out there! What???? So while I still miss my little red car....I will not have another unless it's a TANK!!! Driving a dark gray Jeep Grand Cherokee now. :)

Trish04
July 11th, 2014, 08:25 AM
My mid life crisis was really mid life crisis after kidney cancer lol we just bought a Toyota Prius V , I wanted something good on gas we really wanted to buy a Ford C Max hybrid but it had no spare tire. The salesman says oh you just have to call 1 800 Ford to come help you ! Really we have had tire blow out and also have been in areas without cell coverage . The government is now requiring the cars get a certain MPG rating, so car makers decided to not include a spare tire in some cars, All you have to do is put two people in back seat weighs more than the spare tire would lol, bad thing is we didn't need a new car !

HandsomeRyan
July 11th, 2014, 09:07 AM
No Porsches or BMWs; I'm thinking more Mini Cooper

FWIW- A Mini Cooper is a BMW.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/photobucket-14160-1380567117914_zps76cbd7b0.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/photobucket-14160-1380567117914_zps76cbd7b0.jpg.html)
My Mini Cooper's parking space. :)

Outside of it being one of my son's nicknames, I really like the Mini Coopers. They are stylish and fun to drive. They make an all wheel drive model and of course supercharged engines for a little extra hitch in its giddy-up.

http://s5.goodfon.su/wallpaper/previews-middle/425938.jpg

Lilly
July 11th, 2014, 09:38 AM
My mid life crisis was my little red C-max. The beauty of it is that you get in low (no climbing) but sit up HIGH (like in a mini van). I still don't know how that happens (maybe some shape-shifting going on). It is the most comfortable car I've ever been in and because it is supposed to be my "last" car (I drive cars for 20 years) - I got ALL the bells and whistles. Love that back up assist and sun roof and foot controlled back gate. It's great on mileage (about 47-50mpg in the summer - much less in the winter). DH says he loves the way it handles. I just know I go zipping all over the place. And DD has had some interesting conversations with cute guys when she gets out/in it. Me- not so much.

Vonnie
July 11th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Our mid life crises - a motorcycle with a sidecar! Boy is it fun! We have had it four years now and no accidents. DH is real cautious. The only time I chewed him out was when he went over rail road tracks too fast. My elbow came down hard on the edge of the side car! We have matching helmets and jackets. The helmets have bluetooth! Now he's giving me puppy dog eyes to upgrade to the current year!

He has a regular motorcycle but he wanted one with a sidecar so I could go with him. He does not like going on road trips without me. So now he rides his regular one to work and we even have a trailer to tow the sidecar to other states for rallies and such. We have been married 35 years and we are still best friends! He even plans road trips around quilt stores! Yep, I have already made him two different quilts and am planning a third. The third one we are going to take pictures of the bikes and have a company put them on fabric for us. I think Hulamoon posted a link to one that looks good.

So, have you given a thought to buying a motorcycle?

MayinJerset
July 11th, 2014, 09:59 AM
"I have a cute little Scion xB boxy thing now, pimped up with fun accessories! I love it because it is low to the ground, and I can get in and out of it easily! "

Oh, Jean, That's just what I need.

Know what you mean about those high vans and SUVs. Arthritis in my knees makes it difficult to step up very high so DH has a little folding step stool in his van so I can get into it.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 11th, 2014, 10:52 AM
No motorcycles, Vonnie. Hubby would love it but I'm just not that coordinated -- I'd be sure to have an accident!

I had no idea Minis were made by BMW. At least they're not priced that way.

Bob, a red VW convertible is a great idea! But would I regret it in the dark cold months of winter?

ldnanny3
July 11th, 2014, 11:47 AM
My husband has 3 trucks and we have a dodge Durango but I have a VW Beatle and I love it, so easy to zip around in and parking is never a problem, love it !!!

Rhealene
July 11th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I have a 2012 Toyota Yaris LE....lagoon blue. Very cute car, great gas mileage, a little sporty/sassy looking....comfortable for road trips...summer or winter :). It may not exactly be mid-life crisis worthy but I do love that little car and people are always commenting on how cute it is and asking about it. I get 38 mpg combined city/highway.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
July 11th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Honey, do I have the car for you! I just bought it in December after crashing my 8 year old Honda Accord on the ice. I call it my "empty nest car" because my youngest left for college in June. My husband and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this car. It's a Subaru BRZ and it's so fun to drive on the Missouri roads.

And here's what I love. At least once a week, some man -- both young and old -- come up to me and drool over it. I get shouts of "Nice car!" all the time. I've decided when you're my age (51) and feeling frumpy, who cares about catcalls anymore. Just get a great car and the men will look your way every day! :icon_wave:

By the way, we looked at a lot of cars, both luxury and sporty. We got this one fully loaded for just under $29,000. We like it better than any car, pickup or SUV we've ever owned.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
July 11th, 2014, 12:28 PM
And let me guess, you have a mid-life crisis sewing machine too ;)

I'm cracking up because I definitely have a mid-life crisis sewing machine. (Bernina 780.) Although I prefer to refer to both the machine and my new car as "empty nest" purchases rather than mid-life crisis purchases.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 11th, 2014, 12:31 PM
It's a bad sign if words like "safety" & "reliability" are coming into my mind, right? What do you bet I end up with something dull & sensible. I know, I'll talk to my therapist about it. I'm pretty sure she has a convertible, so perhaps she can talk me into one :)

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 11th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I'm cracking up because I definitely have a mid-life crisis sewing machine. (Bernina 780.) Although I prefer to refer to both the machine and my new car as "empty nest" purchases rather than mid-life crisis purchases.

Whatever you want to call them, Joan, I'm glad they are fun!

ozziepuppy
July 11th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I have a Honda Fit Manual. It is fun to drive, cute, and the seats are incredibly clever (you would not believe the things I have fit into that car!!!). Mine is a 2008 model with about 130,000 miles on it and I have never had a problem. JMHO.

quiltingtrish
July 11th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Don't buy a green car - they blend in with the trees.

Vonnie
July 11th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Don't buy a green car - they blend in with the trees.

LOL - that's hilarious! Is there a story behind this?

vchale
July 11th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Add to that, don't buy a gray car, they blend in with the road. Lots of rear end collisions, not me.

nyelphaba
July 11th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I wanted a fun car, so I bought a Scion XB. Not one regret, I love it. It is bright red.

Genny
July 11th, 2014, 10:49 PM
I'd much rather climb up to get in than climb up to get out! :)

Oh this is funny...my youngest daughter use to have a Corvette and I had a horrible time getting out of it!

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 11th, 2014, 11:55 PM
So no red, grey, or green. But good news -- hubby is supportive of the fun car plan, & against the sensible car plan.

quiltingtrish
July 12th, 2014, 12:21 AM
DH used to drive for the County Transportation - took the elderly and handicapped to different places. So it was one of those short bus looking vehicles. He said he didn't know how many time he almost hit a green car cause they blended in so well with the trees, lots of trees here. So just thought I'd throw that out there.
I owned a bright red Pinto - well, I wouldn't own a Pinto today even though I ran that little lovey into the ground. I made sure no one owned her after me - ran all over this great country in her. Only had one accident in it, the lady claimed she never saw me.
I have a darker blue Pontiac Vibe - lots of room for stuff and we go everywhere. I wouldn't say it's 'fun' to drive but its the perfect car for me. I don't know about a motorcycle cause my speed these days isn't what it used to be, but I would think a moped would be fun for me to take to school to work everyday (especially since it's only 5 minutes away). :)

Hugs,

rebeccas-sewing
July 12th, 2014, 05:52 AM
My sis and I had a friend (she sadly passed away) who inherited $4 million dollars when her husband died. Unfortunately, she died not that long after him. Her husband was quite the tightwad (thus part of the reason for his actual $8 mil. wealth, I'm sure). He always had control of the money. Now she was in charge. He must've brainwashed her along the way! This gal wanted to buy a new car. Sis and I were dreaming about BMW convertibles, Mercedes, etc. She came home with a Mini-Cooper. You can imagine our disappointment. She was in need of new furniture. We were expecting her to come home with gorgeous stuff from some high-end furniture store. She bought from Pier One Imports and some other chain store. Anyway, if you've got that kind of money to burn go big in my opinion. hahaha

Right now my daughters drive better cars than we do. We're nursing along a 12-year old Toyota Sienna mini-van. Can't see getting a new car until we return to the states. You can be sure whatever we purchase it will be economical and practical. I'd have to be quite wealthy to blow money on a fancy car. Since that's not the case just give me something that's reliable and doesn't have any damage to the body. That'll be a major step up from our current mode of transportation. If I was going to spend big bucks on something it'd be on travel and antique furniture. To each his own. Oh! I almost forgot! A state-of-the-art sewing studio equipped with a long-arm and sit-down. Now that's dreaming!!!

How about you all? How would you spend your wealth if you're like me in the financial department?

Angelia
July 12th, 2014, 01:03 PM
First, I'd pay everything off mortgage, etc. Then I'd fund a retirement plan. Then I'd build/buy a house with a huge sewing studio, a pro kitchen for my husband, and a library with glass-fronted doors on the bookshelves so I don't have to dust. Then, I'd never leave home again, if I could help it! :)

Bneighbor
July 12th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I fell in love with a mint pearl green 2000 S-type Jaguar. What a nice car to drive. That is my summer car. Husband saw a Mercedes Benz crossover and decided I needed one (Daddy is in a wheel chair and this will hold his wheelchair, and just about anything else we want to). This one is white, 2007, all wheel drive, diesel. L-O-V-E this car. We searched for 4 months to find this one (diesel) in Florida. This is my winter car ( and summer when Dad goes to doctor appointments), but only problem with it is being a Florida car, it was ordered without heated seats. I can take it to a Benz dealer to have them installed, but at $180.00 and hour labor, plus the cost of the heater for the seats, I do just fine. Funny thing is, the Jaguar has heated seats, but I use it just in the summer! It was ordered for Ohio delivery. I also have a custom built Cobra Kit car. FAST and HOT. Stiletto Red with Silver stripe. Soft grey interior. That is a Mid-life crisis car for a man, but it is all mine. Gentlemen, be envious.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 12th, 2014, 02:38 PM
We'll see what happens when I get sticker shock at the dealer, Rebecca! But since I'd had the last one, a Mazda Protege, for fifteen years your Toyota sounds like a youngster :). Those brands seem to go forever. The Mazda had life in it yet & I would still be driving it for another few years if it weren't for it being totally smushed!

Vonnie
July 12th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Oh this is funny...my youngest daughter use to have a Corvette and I had a horrible time getting out of it!

My oldest used to have a fire engine red mustang. I hated riding in that car. The passenger door was heavy and it was also hard to get in and out of.

Speaking of red cars having more accidents, that mustang could be parked and get in an accident. I lost track of how many accidents. My insurance agent said for me to get that car out of my name quick! And I did. Told my son to figure out how to pay off the loan. He had no credit so I had co-signed for him. Bare bones insurance on that car was around $220 a month. Youngest son has a pretty red impala which is only about $65 a month with full coverage. His last accident was when he was 17 and it was not his fault.

But, it still upsets me when I once asked if I could drive the mustang just once to see what it was like. My son refused - he was afraid I would hit something. Me with my good driving record? Anyway, he let a fraternity brother borrow his car and that kid caused a five car pile up and totaled the mustang. Luckily the car was no longer in my name. My son had to drive DH's old rusty pickup after that.

MRoy
July 12th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Red must be the hot color for mid-lifers! DH got his later than mid-life crisis RED truck last year. I drive it too.

monklesmom
July 12th, 2014, 06:19 PM
problem is when you slide out of a high truck and you are on the short side then you touch the door and get shocked!! I get shocked EVERY time I exit my husbands truck from static electricity!!! :) he laughs!! and has learned not to be a gentleman and help me out!! unless he wants shocked!!

K. McEuen
July 12th, 2014, 06:44 PM
problem is when you slide out of a high truck and you are on the short side then you touch the door and get shocked!! I get shocked EVERY time I exit my husbands truck from static electricity!!! :) he laughs!! and has learned not to be a gentleman and help me out!! unless he wants shocked!!

It doesn't happen with leather seats

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 12th, 2014, 08:02 PM

At least there's a spark between you guys. ;)

I test drove a used Mini Cooper convertible & a new Fiat 500L. Both cute to look at, but I didn't enjoy driving either of them -- too much vibration. And boy, car dealerships are no fun, especially for introverts! The sales people are too busy trying to establish a rapport to actually establish one.

K. McEuen
July 12th, 2014, 08:43 PM
For just shopping to see what you might like, do it in the comfort of your own home. Look at CarMax (http://www.carmax.com), they have all brands to choose from and the prices you see are what you pay. I have actually purchased my last two vehicles from them and I will probably never go to a regular dealership again, for many of the reasons you mentioned.