PDA

View Full Version : working on a re vamp of sewing studio

Divine Daisy
July 10th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Goodness the dross one accumulates!

We took the plunge to get everything sorted to address my bad back issue but first had to have a clear out.............sheeeeeeeeeesh. I am not a tidy quilter, this I admit but who knew there was so much stuff I 'thought might be useful' and it never was.

The sewing table is up and the machine dropped into it. The old cutting table has gone and has been replaced by a kitchen counter......the height is bliss, the storage great and was such a cheap solution we are still grinning.

Which brings us to today. Ikea.

We went. we came home. I went to bed!

Good Lord!! people go to Ikea just for a jolly day out! Why???????

Still, we got some very cleaver 'storage solutions' as they say. Mr Daisy will assemble tomorrow and I can get back to sewing.

Hulamoon
July 10th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Good Lord!! people go to Ikea just for a jolly day out! Why???????

They love meatballs. When I was vistiting we went to one and that was one of their goals.. Yuck. I wandered around the store and looked at all the fun bin stuff.

I have a messy room too, at least one half. This one table is piled so high I'm ready to throw some stuff out. Hope you love your new set up! Makes me want to go upstairs and work on mine!

Lilly
July 10th, 2014, 04:15 PM
DH refuses to go to Ikea with me anymore. They make you walk miles just to take one thing to the check out - It's a maze and there are no shortcuts out. But I forgot Ikea for fabric storage - what a great idea!

bubba
July 10th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Our Ikea has the shortcuts posted all over the place, and I have them pretty well organized. Did you know they even have fabric? I had to have been there twenty times or more before I ever discovered that!

My sewing machine table is from there. It was originally our kitchen table and when we did our remodel, I repurposed it and had MM cut out a hole and attach a shelf for my machine to sit on. It's fabulous! My old cutting table was also from them. It was a desk top placed onto adjustable legs. It's now been moved up to the lake and we use it for eating on. I also have a basket cabinet with four drawers from them that sits next to my sewing table....yes, I am clearly an Ikea junkie!

lourixe
July 10th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Hahaha, I'm also an Ikea fan for storage ideas and fabric, but DH hates it for the same reasons than yours! Even the shortcuts are not short enough for him.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 10th, 2014, 05:04 PM
IKEA--it's only a dream for us Missourians! My first IKEA experience was at Bubba's store last fall. But hope springs eternal for us as they just broke ground on one here which will be open in Sept 2015! Have fun mr. And Mrs Daisy! Have A great IKEA day!

Sandy Navas
July 10th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Haven't been in an IKEA but one time - many, many moons ago. Like Jean said, they don't like Missouri (though, if memory serves me correctly, I do believe there may be on in KC, KS actually just looked and it is in Merriam, KS) . . . But, Tuesday Morning doesn't like us here, either . . .

I am so happy to hear that you are making progress on reorganizing - hate that it is because of your back though (I don't like the thought of that one so I won't go further). Sounds as if Mr. Daisy has made brilliant strides since his surgery so that's encouraging. You do know, though, that you don't show up here often enough.

Oh, before I,forget - I don't know if you know that you and Stewart are going to be great-grandparents since Ewenice had twins last year and they are both expecting - those frisky Lambs. I have checked to see about putting the bunch of them on a slow boat to the UK but the price is prohibitive and they need a shepherd to travel with them. Then there's the question of immunizations and passports and visas . . . So, keep your fingers crossed - I guess all you can hope for will be pictures.

K. McEuen
July 10th, 2014, 05:34 PM
We don't have Ikea in New Mexico either. There are several things I'd like to get from there, but the 900 mile round trip to the closest one sort of kills any savings from shopping there.

aqua-teal71
July 10th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I have never been in an Ikea, and the container store in Ft Worth closed. am i missing something?

auntiemern
July 11th, 2014, 12:22 AM
We want pic Ms. Daisy. A few of Mr. D assembling would be nice too. You do need to check in here more often.

Mchelem
July 11th, 2014, 01:31 AM
I have never been in an Ikea, and the container store in Ft Worth closed. am i missing something?

IKEA is way better than the container store.

There's one in Frisco, which would be the closest to Fort Worth.

ilive2craft2
July 11th, 2014, 02:49 AM
Sounds like you have been busy! I have found that I keep piling stuff on my big cutting table that also has the ironing pad, but it is still much neater now that I am halfway organized than it ever was before. Happy creating in your rearranged space!

stationarymom
July 11th, 2014, 03:18 AM
we have one ikea here that I know of but it is about 2 hrs away.My DS id one of those people that go there for a jolly time and meatballs.

rebeccas-sewing
July 11th, 2014, 03:21 AM
I rarely buy anything at IKEA but every once in a while I enjoy taking a spin through there. Joe really doesn't like it AT ALL. The way the place is laid out is definitely a drawback. I'm surprised so many people like shopping there. However, I do think it's a great source for purchasing furniture for our sewing rooms. The only things we've bought there in the way of furniture are a daybed and a bookcase that we bought for my daughter when she started college. The bed is great and is sitting in the sewing room here in Baarn as an extra space for guests to sleep. The bookcase has ended up in my sewing room at home and is filled with comic book boards loaded with fabrics. I would definitely be interested in purchasing some more pieces for sewing storage when we return to the states. The Brits pronounce it EE-Kay-a (long E short a).

toggpine
July 11th, 2014, 03:50 AM
Our Ikea has the shortcuts posted all over the place, and I have them pretty well organized. Did you know they even have fabric? I had to have been there twenty times or more before I ever discovered that!

Probably not. They have only started carrying fabrics in the last five years or so. I only get there once a year or so now, so I don't mind the mosey through the store.
There are many IKEA things in our home. Furniture, bookcases, end tables, kid's stuff, and especially kitchen gadgets. My all time favorite things would be the sliding wire drawer dealies that I have stacked double high to hold my stash and the blow up foot stools that look like animal cubes. We have a cheetah and a frog. I have also made a cover for one out of scrap fuzzy material and I have one in the works for a zebra and an elephant.
Love that place!

Monique
July 11th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Hubby hates ours. Too many people. I will have to check out to see if they sell fabric. Like I need another store.

Daisy, congratulations on the renos. Your back will love now. And thank goodness you have such a wonderful man.