PDA

View Full Version : Puppies and quilts-oh no!

RiverMomm
July 10th, 2014, 09:34 AM
When I first stated quilting a couple years ago, I gave a dear friend a quilt. It was a twin and by far the biggest quilt I had made. She had the reaction to the quilt that we all want. She LOVED it. She uses it everyday.

Flash forward and I get an unexpected but welcomed phone call last night. We chatted and laughed. She has two new border collie puppies and they are really entertaining her family. At the end of the call, she finally told me why she called. Her puppy chewed a small hole in the quilt and she was wondering if I still had the fabric. She emailed a picture of the hole and I just happen to have ONE small piece that matches. I mailed the scrap today.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 10th, 2014, 09:36 AM
When I first stated quilting a couple years ago, I gave a dear friend a quilt. It was a twin and by far the biggest quilt I had made. She had the reaction to the quilt that we all want. She LOVED it. She uses it everyday.

Flash forward and I get an unexpected but welcomed phone call last night. We chatted and laughed. She has two new border collie puppies and they are really entertaining her family. At the end of the call, she finally told me why she called. Her puppy chewed a small hole in the quilt and she was wondering if I still had the fabric. She emailed a picture of the hole and I just happen to have ONE small piece that matches. I mailed the scrap today.

Boo for chewing puppies! Hooray for keeping scraps forever! Glad you could help her out!

Liberty
July 10th, 2014, 09:54 AM
I was expecting to see puppy and quilt pictures. I feel let down ;)

But it stinks that the puppy chewed it! It's a good thing puppies are so darn adorable, otherwise we'd get so angry with them!

Hulamoon
July 10th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Good thing she caught it before the hole got bigger!

Sandy Navas
July 10th, 2014, 10:07 AM
DeeOGee knows we're talking about puppies - he's laying over there and I can tell he's dreaming . . . wonder if he's feeling bad for the quilt or the fact that the puppies had their toy taken away from them . . .

Another great reason for keeping our scraps.

Divine Daisy
July 10th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Just wanted to say lovely quilt! Can see how its done but is there a name? have a jelly roll this would be great for, but would be useful to have measurements to save winging it!

RiverMomm
July 10th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Just wanted to say lovely quilt! Can see how its done but is there a name? have a jelly roll this would be great for, but would be useful to have measurements to save winging it!

Ty, ty.

This quilt is the "Three Dudes" quilt that MSQC did a tutorial on several years ago. But I did 5 strips together to make the blocks and added sashing to calm it down a bit. Basically, I winged it as I went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Ixvjje310

Hulamoon
July 10th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Ty, ty.

This quilt is the "Three Dudes" quilt that MSQC did a tutorial on several years ago. But I did 5 strips together to make the blocks and added sashing to calm it down a bit. Basically, I winged it as I went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Ixvjje310

That's what I didn't like about the three dudes, too many fabrics. Mine is under a pile somewhere. Yours is beautiful and it made a world of difference.

RiverMomm
July 10th, 2014, 05:52 PM
That's what I didn't like about the three dudes, too many fabrics. Mine is under a pile somewhere. Yours is beautiful and it made a world of difference.

I agree but I guess it depends on the fabrics. When I started putting the blocks together, it was so crazy, it was like my eyes were crossing. Sashing really helped the different fabrics shine instead of blending together in a mess of colors and designs.

But, I thought this 3 dudes quilt did ok without sashing. Or maybe by the time I got around to doing it, my eyes were getting used to being crossed. ;) Nah, now that I look at it . . . it needs to have sashing.

songbird857
July 10th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I'm just amazed you found the scrap! :)

Midge
July 10th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Vicky, I love your quilt. Maybe it's the particular color combination you used that I find so appealing, not sure. But I see your point about the sashing making a big difference. It gives the eye something to follow through the various tones/patterns in the fabrics. I haven't been too eager to do a fence rail quilt because I'm not fond of all the chaos of the design. But I can get behind it with what you've done here.

On to the false representation issue: where the heck do you get off fooling us into thinking there will be puppy pix? Geez. Such a rip off!! :lol: Don't do that again, k?

RiverMomm
July 10th, 2014, 10:39 PM
I'm just amazed you found the scrap! :)

I was pretty surprised myself!! If she needed anything larger that 1 1/2 inches, she would have been out of luck.

RiverMomm
July 10th, 2014, 10:43 PM
On to the false representation issue: where the heck do you get off fooling us into thinking there will be puppy pix? Geez. Such a rip off!! :lol: Don't do that again, k?

Ok now the title could be "Cute puppies and quilts"

Here they are -in all their cuteness. I am not sure which of the two did the chewing.

lilamath
July 10th, 2014, 11:19 PM
We, too, have a new puppy. She likes to chew things and me. I made a little quilt for her kennel. I used some leftover polar fleece and corduroy. So far she hasn't been able to chew a hole in it. She also has a pillow that my mom made for another dog from long ago. It was made from her polyester stash. That, too, is hard to chew holes in. I knew there was a reason I hadn't gotten rid of all that fabric that no one uses anymore. The puppy seems to automatically know what cushions are hers.

laf512
July 11th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Oh no! I'm glad you had a scrap so it could be repaired! We are planning on getting a puppy soon so I will have to make sure never to leave the quilts I've made where he/she can get them!

Amber
July 11th, 2014, 07:18 PM
DeeOGee knows we're talking about puppies - he's laying over there and I can tell he's dreaming . . . wonder if he's feeling bad for the quilt or the fact that the puppies had their toy taken away from them . . .

Another great reason for keeping our scraps.
I have a DeeOhGee, too. We just call him OhGee. He's a blue merle Aussie.