PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Hey, Hey - It's Thursday!

Blondie
July 10th, 2014, 07:29 AM

Happy Thursday, folksies!

Here I sit, first cuppa half gone, Gracie wants to play, hubs just leaving for work and what am I thinking? Ceiling fans. That's right, quilting buddies, ceiling fans. I haven't cleaned them since last fall and I just know my number one son and his wife will notice how dirty they are first thing when they arrive. Even Nora at age two, will be able to articulate clearly, while pointing with her beautifully formed fingers, "Look Nana, you're a piggie". So, I just announced to the Luscious One that when he comes home from work he really needs to help me clean those stinking fan blades and glass light covers. So there you have it.

We got a wee bit of rain yesterday a few separate times. It did little more than stir the dust in the driveway up. And blackberry picking. We have had a bumper crop of those tasty beauties so far. Tomatoes are coming in, also a bumper crop of those green tomato caterpillars. When I was a little pig tailed girl with thoughts of nothing but making mud pies in the summer, I remember picking up those fat caterpillars and putting them in my make-do doll house, which was under the giant oak. I would sit and play there at my Granny's feet while she shelled beans. I can still hear them "snap" in her fingers, while she and her sisters talked about the weather, their husbands, their children. I can still remember the smell of the garden back then.

Isn't it amazing the thoughts that will pop in your head at dark thirty in the morning. I would much prefer to think of summer days past than cleaning ceiling fans. It's Thursday, tomorrow's Friday, the kids are coming this weekend and I needle to hustle my bustle. Be smart, be kind, be thankful, show others your giving heart and don't forget to SMILE. I'll be back when I get back.

Monique
July 10th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Good morning. A sunny start to the day. Did my thing with Bonnie yesterday. And it is back to work today.

One of the row by rows I was looking at looks pretty easy so last night I tried to replicate it and was quite successful. Anyone else doing the row by row experience?

Have an awesome day friends.

meemeecyn
July 10th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Good morning Blondie and all you special quilters. Just tried to post a link...didn't work so will try a different way. :) Gosh, you all know how electronically challenged I am!

On my way over to visit the grandgirls with newly made aprons using pattern made from 2 charm squares. What fun! The Crafty Gemini did it for them. I'll try and link now. Tuesday Morning (http://www.tuesdaymorning.com) Please forgive if I messed it up.

Blondie, was looking at my fans last week. Yuck! You've inspired me (and reminded) me...now, no excuse!

Hope everyone has a great day.
Cynthia

Terri
July 10th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Good Morning Blondie and Everyone else too! :icon_wave:

Blondie your morning greetings put a smile on my face each morning. I can't say it always stays there, but I am getting better. I have truly found that if I am in a good mood (or at least act like I am), that I do smile more, I am nicer to others and they in turn are nice to me. And if I am not in a good mood, it does put me in one.

Gee thanks, for the reminder about the ceiling fans! I usually remember to clean mine when the weather changes & we reverse the way it turns. Lovely big dust bunnies go flying everywhere!!! That creates an even bigger mess! :icon_rolleyes: I am NOT Suzy Homemaker! But not $$ in the bank to hire someone to clean for me. :0

It's off to get my nails done this morning and hopefully a short visit to a fabric shop across the river. Just to look....yeah, right! :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Everyone have a great day.....peaceful, productive, and blessed!!

Terri

Bubby
July 10th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Morning Everyone,

I'm cleaning a little this morning and then I get to go for highlights and a haircut this afternoon....maybe even a pedicure.

My MIL and SIL will be arriving Sunday afternoon, but their visit will just be overnight and all day Monday. Then they are off to visit Jeff's brother and some other relatives and friends. I'm not going to clean ceiling fans for her, but I did ours about two weeks ago, so they should be fine. If they aren't you can be sure I will hear about it. I don't jump through hoops... I'm not even going to cook for them. They can stop at Cracker Barrel or Applebee's and eat on the way in and Monday morning we will take them out for breakfast. I will have dessert and coffee in the evening. I don't roll out the red carpet for people who insist on coming after we tell them we have too much on our plate right now and offer to bring them out for a nice visit in the Fall.

I wish everyone here a blessed day....

MayinJerset
July 10th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Watch out, Blondie has the Company is Coming Cleaning Mode going on and anything standing still will get a good cleaning!

Another hot and sticky day but the AC will help me do some very necessary piecing this morning, Retreat in Lancaster PA is next weekend and my color challenge quilt isn't finished yet. From the emails I've received from other quilters attending I'm not the only one not ready.
Also need to pile up my Show and Tell quilts, only my guild's show quilt and about 3-4 dolly quilts as whatever I've made since last year has been given away.

DH asked me what other trips I'd like to take this summer. First we should visit his sister and her SO who recently moved from their country place in W VA with tons of acreage to an adult community in Leesburg VA. Her SO is having health problems and they need to be nearer to family and medical facilities. You can be sure this is me....81563

WOW, reports of berries and tomatos ripe for picking makes me wish I still did a garden. I just loved the big beefsteak Jersey tomato we grew that were ripe in August. Made the best Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwiches with them, one big thick slice filled the whole piece of toast, delicious. They were almost as good if we were out of bacon but the toasted bread has to be Wonder Bread or it doesn't taste right.

Sandy Navas
July 10th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I want to know where Blondie found my picture to post this morning!!

You really mean we're supposed to clean ceiling fans? I know I get the one in our bedroom quite often but have two in my sewing room and I don't think I've ever looked there . . . DUH~!

Gonna have a nice quiet day, I think. Puttering in my sewing room is always fun. Yesterday I made a trip south to spend some time with my favorite brother (I just have one and he's a real JEWEL). Also stopped at the fabric store that Jackie mentioned in Overland Park, KS. What an experience. I was really, truly conservative. Did buy the end of a bolt of 118 backing fabric for about $10 a yard - and it is a wonderful quality. He also had black backing (who really uses that????) that he'd let me have for less than $9 a yard but I didn't get any. Their ad said patriotic fabrics at $2.99 - I did buy two 1 yard pieces but wasn't impressed with what they had. I have a thing about actual flags printed on fabric, and lean more toward stars and just colors . . . Anyway, definitely worth the trip and I will go back sometime. The selection is quite different that the run of the mill quilt stores. I didn't check brand names or anything. Bought 10 fat quarters for a dollar apiece. I'd picked them out and they told me their grandkids cut them so we'll see how that one goes. They also casually asked if I'd ever been to Hamilton, MO . . .

Al is off with two interpreting jobs this morning, so if I want to have fun by myself I'd best shake my tail feathers.

ravelim
July 10th, 2014, 10:11 AM
O Blondie,your pic of the ladies so reminds me of Mom and her sisters. We use to tease them about going around together in their later years and they did. O that is so funny to me. Thanks for letting me remember that.

We had fresh corn-on-the-cob ,as my part of the country says, yesterday. Wow it was fresh and awesome. When kids were little I always had a big garden and 100 quarts of green beans ,tomato sauce, carrots with whatever was left in garden. It was fun but a lot of work. We lived in a tiny village of 400 people and in the winter snowstorms it was nice to have that for meals. I raised blackberries for jam and would freeze them and make the jam as needed.

Has anyone bought fabric on eBay and is it good?

I love the DD where she sets up rewards for everything. A person after my own thinking!

Have a happy day everyone. Hugs to all.

Judy, USMC
July 10th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Good Morning! Gardening, Fan dusting, and Family visits ... sounds like a full summer for some of y'all already!

I'm in the sewing mode like some of you ... working on the Mystery Quilt; organizing and incorporating fabric I brought with me. Tonight is Thursday night wine tasting in my neighbor's back yard flower garden. She & I will be planning which route to get some more Row by Row patterns! I picked up 3 but will probably only do one or 2 from Indiana that I got the kits for.

Well, enjoy your day - the weekend will be here before you know it!

Mpyles
July 10th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Blondie...just so you know...when I go to visit my mom and mother and law...I go to see them...not how clean there house is! Try not to over tire yourself...which is what my mom will do...relax and anticipate your family reunion...spend the time making them something they can treasure for a lifetime....they won't remember you for how clean your house is...they will remember you for the wonderful memories you gave them!

Everyone have a great day!

Simply Quilting
July 10th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Good Morning!!! And so begins another busy day. I'm headed out the door in a few minutes to get stuff done. That has been the way it seems to be the past two weeks - up and out the door. The afternoon/ evening are spent at the pool. If I could just figure out a way to machine sew at the pool, I could have tons of quilts done by now. Instead I've been working on getting things ready for school. We start in a month - summer has flown by way too fast.

We are on a holding pattern for housing right now. Not the most fun place to be. We are all tired of being in limbo and not sure where we will be going or when. If by Sept, we don't know what we are doing, I am going to take some of my quilting supplies out of storage so I can quilt again. There is no point in doing it now as I'm not home enough and I don't have time anyway.

A fun thing is next week, I get to go by Hamilton twice. Hoping to stop in for a few minutes.

Have a great day everyone :)

toggpine
July 10th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Morning!
Yesterday when I was cleaning, I must have bumped the switch on Hubby's travel alarm clock. It went off at 4:45, about 20 minutes before he usually wakes up. So in penance, I got up too and made his coffee.
Now that I'm up and he's off to work, I'll enjoy my own cup, poke around here a bit and head to the sewing room for a while.

As for cleaning - I try to keep the ceiling fans dusted, but they are kind of hard to do while moving. This time of year, they are rarely off.
I did, however, get the entire farm mowed yesterday. 4.5 hours behind the push mower and I'm all caught up. I may take a whack at the wild geranium patch in the milker's field on the next mow-fest. After a shower and some lunch, I realized I had best keep moving or seize up. Next on the list, was the vacuuming of the floors. (Kinda like the running of the bulls, but with plastic dinosaurs, cars, and dolls.) My carpet is no longer harboring sinister fir needles that jab you through your socks and the kitchen tile doesn't have odd collections of crumbs in the grout lines. (Yea me!)
I did not get to the washing of windows yesterday. I may get that done later this morning. They are really starting to bug me.

For now, I'm going to go re-fill my coffee and reward myself with a few hours in the sewing room!

By the way, for any of you with arthritis and fibromyalgia, you might want to try this lotion from http://www.twooldgoats.com.
I know somebody brought this stuff up quite a while ago. I found some in our local feed store as a promo and bought a bottle just to see if it worked like they claimed. IT DOES! It really is non-greasy and the smell is kinds of woodsy peppermint-y and doesn't last very long (unlike ben-gay, etc).
Depending on your level of pain, it will either eliminate it completely allowing to you keep sewing. Or as in my sister's case with her RA, take the edge off enough for her to get to sleep. She has even used it on her temples to stop a forming migraine. It's good enough that after I left my little bottle with the LQS owner to try out, she's carrying it now!
Anyhow, I figured if it has helped me keep stitching, hand-milking, walking, and so on. It might be helpful to some of you to know about it.

Have a great one! Hugs, C

toggpine
July 10th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Sewing along and grab for the coffee. Ugh! It's luke-cold.
Hot or iced is fine, and can go either way any time of the day. I'll even go fairly close to warm/cold to finish the last sip depending on the start temp, but that was just icky.
I guess it's time to switch to water for the day!

JCY
July 10th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Good Morning, All ~

I started baking right after breakfast while the house is cool. Made a spelt apple/carrot cake for DH (he doesn't eat reg. wheat). As long as the oven was hot, I baked my Digiorno's pizza. I get the 4 cheese rising crust one & add my own fixin's.

I've finished the 3 baby quilts for this month's shower at church. I'm in the process of washing & drying them. I had used the blue marking pen on 2 of them, so definitely had to wash them.

I started a big star baby quilt last night, using 8.5" blocks, from FQs & fabric. (I can get 4 - 9" squares from a FQ.) Not quite sure if I like the color combo I'm working with, but we'll see how it turns out. I wanted to make a sample using this pattern before I start on a queen size quilt with the new fabrics I recently purchased. It's basically HSTs. The trick is getting them laid out correctly.

I have no ceiling fans to clean, but all the house fans get cleaned in the fall after summer's use. It's a job I do now, since DH is in poor health.

Blondie, I loved the dog pic. Enjoy your family visit. Don't worry about them giving your house the white glove exam.

Have a good day! JCY

GrammaBabs
July 10th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Enjoy your family visit.. there is nothing better.... big squeeze to little Nora from GrammaBabs...off to the pool with my crochet bag and an afternoon chit chat... Saturday is the postphoned trip out of Plymouth on a Ship with our peeps.. to see the "fireworks"... they were canceled on the 4th because of "hurricane warning".... B

Sandy Navas
July 10th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Has anyone bought fabric on eBay and is it good?

Early on when I started HOARDING fabric I did. Depends upon what you are looking for. Not knowing much then, I picked up offers of 'charm' squares, etc. Once I got the fabric I realized my big mistake. Unless it is listed as something specific that you are familiar with, you may wind up with squares cut on a mechanical cutter (like Accu-Quilt) or something . . . not that that is bad, but quite often the fabrics used are not necessarily quilting quality. I remember buying 2 1/2 x 4 inch pieces - and a whole lot of it was cut from bed sheets and drapery fabrics . . .

Beware and be aware and you should do fine.

Mpyles
July 10th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Well, I could kick myself....I went in to my sewing oasis....I wanted to move some things around...it's quite cramped in there...so I pulled out a barrister bookcase filled with my collections of old pitchers, glasses...and such...that was fine...but then that led to moving this..then that...then this..now I can get into one side of the closet...so I opened the doors....big mistake....it's filled with old craft project stuff and scrapbooking supplies...anyone have a desire for any of it...as I am going to part with it...haven't used it in years...so time to go...

The problem is..I have it all so torn apart...I couldn't sew in there if I wanted to...help!!

mamaquilt
July 10th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Enjoy your family visit.. there is nothing better.... big squeeze to little Nora from GrammaBabs...off to the pool with my crochet bag and an afternoon chit chat... Saturday is the postphoned trip out of Plymouth on a Ship with our peeps.. to see the "fireworks"... they were canceled on the 4th because of "hurricane warning".... B

I like it that you go to the pool with your crochet bag. Everybody was laughing at me when I took my little knitting - fishes along to the pool. But knitting or crocheting, you're still able to chat with your neighbours, whereas reading a book or sleeping you won't get the "news" at all!

quiltnforfun
July 10th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I got up this morning. So many ufo's uncomplete. Yes I did. I started a new quilt. This one, I am giving myself a by on though. My six year old dgd is visiting. The first thing she asked is grandma can we make a quilt. So here we go. Strip down, she picks charm. i hold in place and she is making the machine go. Choose next charm. ect. We have all the charms now sewn to the strips. She is super excited. Tonight after she goes to bed, will iron and cut, so we can work on the next part tomorrow.

Jane

mommadeb
July 10th, 2014, 05:21 PM
I clean my ceiling fan/light fixture globes in the dishwasher. They can wash while you do other cleaning.

As for your daily posts-I really, really need to start reading those more. They're really fun. Thanks for doing them.