PDA

View Full Version : Bed in a Box mattress question......

Susann
July 9th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Youngest is moving into a new apartment next month for her last two years of college. I'm researching mattress sets and came across Bed in a Box -and LOTS of other memory foam sets. Does anyone have a memory foam set? I'm reading lots of good reviews but am wondering how much of the good review is because of the "uniqueness" of getting a bed in a box with the ease of set up not the actually comfort level of the matterss. Well, how was that for a run on sentence:icon_razz: Due to health issues her sleep is very important but cost is also a concern. Anyway, any help or suggestions?

MayinJerset
July 9th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I also am interested in any feedback.

Bed in a Box is new to me but I'm in the market for a new mattress. We have a thick memory foam pad over present mattress and we like sleeping on the memory so I think a new memory foam mattress might be a good idea. Would like to know if there are grades of memory foam so we get a good one that's comfortable but firm.

Vonnie
July 9th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Don't know anything about the mattress in a box but we have an iComfort memory foam queen size bed. We love it! We have had it for several years now and there's none of that rolling to the center stuff or being lumpy after a while because where you sleep gets crunched down after a while.

The only problem is if you sit on the very edge of the bed you slide off! But other than that it's wonderful. We got the firm.

MayinJerset
July 9th, 2014, 12:40 PM
"being lumpy after a while because where you sleep gets crunched down after a while."

Know what you mean Vonnie as my friend recently purchases an expensive name brand mattress with the pillow top and after a few months there were low spots where she and her DH slept.

whippetmom
July 9th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I do not know about this Bed in a Box, but we have the Tempurpedic at our house and LOVE IT. We also bought a novaform mattress at Costco (which ironically was in a box) for the bed we sleep in at our sons house. It has been great, but we have not used it all that much. We are usually there for three nights at a time and has held up great. It has been at his house for a year but not the everyday use that most people would get. It is softer than our Tempurpedic, but still OK for what we need. 12" thick.

Bubby
July 9th, 2014, 03:19 PM
When my lake husband went on hospice they brought him a hospital bed with a thin (about 3 inches) mattress of memory foam. I thought it would be terribly uncomfortable, but it was really great. There were nights when both of us slept on that piece of foam in that skinny bed and it wasn't bad at all.

quiltsRfun
July 9th, 2014, 04:03 PM
We got our memory foam mattress from Bed in a Box a few years ago and love it. I have a hard time sleeping on other mattresses when I'm away from home.

Familyjournals
July 9th, 2014, 04:09 PM
When my lake husband went on hospice they brought him a hospital bed with a thin (about 3 inches) mattress of memory foam. I thought it would be terribly uncomfortable, but it was really great. There were nights when both of us slept on that piece of foam in that skinny bed and it wasn't bad at all.
This is a sweet story. Thank you for sharing it Bubby.

Susann
July 12th, 2014, 10:00 AM
May-we thought about putting it over her present mattress, too. But we decided to go with a whole new set. She'll need a bed here when she's home on breaks-if not it might come up in therapy later:icon_razz:

Vonnie-Will check out the iComfort. Thanks for the heads up about sitting on the edge don't need to provide hubs any more reasons to giggle at me!

Whippet-I'll check out the novaform & Temperdedic, too. I was looking at the 10 and 12 in.

Bubby- Just :icon_sniff: and hugs!! Sweet story-thanks for sharing.

quiltsRfun-Thats good to hear-thanks!

So, here's another question. Due to the logistics of getting the mattress to her, we won't have a box spring to put it on. We'll buy the frame that fits this type of mattress and thought about putting a piece of plywood or something in the bottom for consistent support. But, isn't the bed awfully short/low to the ground? It won't matter for her because we'll but it up on those cone things so she can store under it, but, I was thinking about when we replace our set.

Thanks everyone for your responses! If we go with the foam, will let you know how it turns out.

MayinJerset
July 12th, 2014, 10:51 AM
"So, here's another question. Due to the logistics of getting the mattress to her, we won't have a box spring to put it on. We'll buy the frame that fits this type of mattress and thought about putting a piece of plywood or something in the bottom for consistent support. But, isn't the bed awfully short/low to the ground? It won't matter for her because we'll but it up on those cone things so she can store under it, but, I was thinking about when we replace our set."

For your bed, how about keeping your old box spring and putting the plywood over it and then the new foam mattress? I don't like a bed that's too low but it seems all the new mattress sets are too high. Last hotel we stayed at the beds were too high for me to crawl into so we had to switch to a room that had a sofa. It was a sofa bed but I didn't bother opening it and just slept on the sofa itself. At least I could get up and down during the night for potty calls without worrying about climbing up on the high mattress. Think I'll pack my little step stool for my trip this coming weekend so I'll be prepared if we encounter mountain high mattresses. Guess they don't take into consideration older people or people with short legs, both of which describe me. .

quiltsRfun
July 12th, 2014, 12:08 PM
May-we thought about putting it over her present mattress, too. But we decided to go with a whole new set. She'll need a bed here when she's home on breaks-if not it might come up in therapy later:icon_razz:

Vonnie-Will check out the iComfort. Thanks for the heads up about sitting on the edge don't need to provide hubs any more reasons to giggle at me!

Whippet-I'll check out the novaform & Temperdedic, too. I was looking at the 10 and 12 in.

Bubby- Just :icon_sniff: and hugs!! Sweet story-thanks for sharing.

quiltsRfun-Thats good to hear-thanks!

So, here's another question. Due to the logistics of getting the mattress to her, we won't have a box spring to put it on. We'll buy the frame that fits this type of mattress and thought about putting a piece of plywood or something in the bottom for consistent support. But, isn't the bed awfully short/low to the ground? It won't matter for her because we'll but it up on those cone things so she can store under it, but, I was thinking about when we replace our set.

Thanks everyone for your responses! If we go with the foam, will let you know how it turns out.

We got the frame from Bed in a Box and it sets up to a comfortable height for us. The mattress is supported with slats

Susann
July 12th, 2014, 12:44 PM
"So, here's another question. Due to the logistics of getting the mattress to her, we won't have a box spring to put it on. We'll buy the frame that fits this type of mattress and thought about putting a piece of plywood or something in the bottom for consistent support. But, isn't the bed awfully short/low to the ground? It won't matter for her because we'll but it up on those cone things so she can store under it, but, I was thinking about when we replace our set."

For your bed, how about keeping your old box spring and putting the plywood over it and then the new foam mattress? .

Oh, yah! DUH:D I really wasn't thinking! Yup, that's what we'll do. I hear you about the height issue. Hubs is 9 inches taller than me an it's almost all in his legs-makes furniture shopping interesting!!

Susann
July 12th, 2014, 12:46 PM
We got the frame from Bed in a Box and it sets up to a comfortable height for us. The mattress is supported with slats

Do you think we need to put a solid base in the frame or do the slats give enough support? I guess I'm wondering-is the mattress solid enough that it doesn't "moosh" down between the slats over time?

whippetmom
July 12th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I would say to get some plywood even though they tell you the base has slats, it is just double insurance. Tempurpedic had to replace our mattress once, ($4000 mattress they should) because their foundation base did not wear well. We have had no other trouble since they replaced the whole thing, and the novaform has been great from the start, but we did put a sheet of OSB on the slats on the frame. Just my two cents worth, and I do have a tendency to overdue things.

ozziepuppy
July 12th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Years ago when my DH was in law school we slept on a mattress on the floor of our apartment. Then one night I woke up and found a HUGE spider on the baseboard--about 2.5 to 3 inches across (including legs). It was a very mature wolf spider, apparently. Our apartment had a basement storage area that apparently was a breeding ground for spiders. Must have been a lot of bugs there to keep the spiders well-fed. Anyway, the very next day I made a platform bed to get that mattress off the floor!!! I used an old wooden bookcase for the center (lying on its side of course). I went to the lumberyard (could be Lowe's or whatever) and had them cut a 4x8 piece of thick plywood into several pieces so I could get them into the car to take home. Then I laid the pieces across the top of the bookcase and fastened them together (I don't remember how--I think I used those little metal fasteners with screws but you could probably even use duct tape). I think the mattress stuck out about an inch over each side. As I recall, I covered the parts that showed (the sides of the bookcase) with contact paper. I may not have all of the details correct (this was in 1979) but it worked well and got the mattress off the floor (the mattress was some kind of foam mattress). It was also quite inexpensive. More recently, my son's bed slats broke and I did a similar thing by putting pieces of thick plywood on the frame. There were two pieces and I didn't even bother to connect them--they worked fine just lying there.

Susann
July 12th, 2014, 04:24 PM
I would say to get some plywood even though they tell you the base has slats, it is just double insurance. Tempurpedic had to replace our mattress once, ($4000 mattress they should) because their foundation base did not wear well. We have had no other trouble since they replaced the whole thing, and the novaform has been great from the start, but we did put a sheet of OSB on the slats on the frame. Just my two cents worth, and I do have a tendency to overdue things.
Hubs isn't here to ask-what's OSB?

Vonnie
July 12th, 2014, 04:26 PM
We don't have a box springs with our memory foam mattress. Our bed probably looks strange to others but we used to have a water bed. And whats neat about a water bed is all the storage underneath it. When we moved (17 years ago) we discovered that the water bed was in really bad shape so we threw it out but kept the storage. DH bought two big pieces of plywood and a regular mattress. We had that mattress for about 14 years. Got really lumpy and uncomfortable and DH was starting to have back problems. Looked at Temperpedic but boy are those expensive. We got an iComfort on sale for about $1500. After taxes and extras like a water resistant mattress cover, it was a little over $1700. If you get a memory foam you really don't want anything to get on it especially if you have pets or small children who might have an accident so pay a little extra for the special cover.

But that plywood works great and the bed would really be too high if we had box springs because I told DH I'm not giving up all those drawers! Plus, now this is a big plus, no dust bunnies can get under it!

whippetmom
July 12th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Oriented Strand Board, it is the stuff they put up in construction sometimes. It is cheaper than plywood, that is the only reason we bought that, it is glued together pieces of wood. If money is no object, then I would go a good grade plywood, but for as much as we are at our son's house, the OSB was fine. Just please remember, if you get a memory foam mattress, please spend the extra money to get the right mattress pad, there is one that is about $99 for a king size, I think $89 for queen but a definite purchase, it will resist any water or liquid. It will save the mattress when you least expect it. There were some people I know that did not put that under their mattress, their dog peed on the bed, and guess what -- ruined mattress !!!!!!

monklesmom
July 12th, 2014, 06:11 PM
If you just do a board over a frame pick up a set of the bed lifters at Walmart or anywhere and that will lift it 6 inches. Or when I was living in studios I used concrete blocks and had the bed up on them 2 high so I could get the plastic storage tubs under the bed!

quiltsRfun
July 12th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Do you think we need to put a solid base in the frame or do the slats give enough support? I guess I'm wondering-is the mattress solid enough that it doesn't "moosh" down between the slats over time?
The slats that came with the frame are pretty heavy duty. We haven't had any problems with support.