PDA

View Full Version : Are You a Seasoned Traveler? Advice Needed

ozziepuppy
July 9th, 2014, 12:07 AM
I need to make a trip to three different states and I am not sure how to get the best price on flights. I understand that when you go to online sites the more you look (or return to the site) the more the price goes up. Also, you have to put in specific dates, when I want to find out when the cheapest dates would be. I find it all very confusing and almost think I should drive but with the price of gas and lodging it wouldn't be that much of a difference I would imagine.

I have been putting off getting this trip planned and now my time is getting more and more limited (school will be starting in August and I work in the schools). I think I need two weeks of lead time to get the best price and I am about out of time. I need to go to one state for sure and I "should" visit the other two. Aaugh. I would really appreciate advice on how to get this set up without breaking the bank. If anyone can help I would be sooooo grateful. I went to the airport to get it set up and they told me to go home and do it online.

It isn't just a simple round-trip ticket. It would be to go to state 1, then to state 2, then to state 3, and then back home. I don't know if I can afford all of them so I need to compare different options. At the minimum I do need to go to one of them, however (to visit my parents) as they are not in good health and summer is my chance to visit.

I know this is rambling but it is after 10 p.m.--sorry! There needs to be some sort of senior citizen travel site, LOL.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 9th, 2014, 12:09 AM
For a trip like this, I find Southwest to be good, because you don't buy the tickets as return tickets anyway the multiple states won't have an impact on price.

bubba
July 9th, 2014, 12:17 AM
Tell me the cities and dates available and I will look....I love doing that!

Kgrammiecaz
July 9th, 2014, 12:33 AM
If you have Triple A or another similar service, they could find the best pricing for you. If you are going with someone driving is really fun. By yourself you are best flying.

I am a Southwest flyer and the prices are usually pretty good. I think you can also try priceline

Good luck, I am sure you will come across some good prices.

Or of course go with Pat. Its always a pleasure when someone can solve the problem for us. Lol

vchale
July 9th, 2014, 01:15 AM
There are sites like Travelocity and Expedia where you can choose between round trip, one way and multiple cities/destinations. Most airlines do not charge extra for one way flights. You are essentially scheduling multiple one way flights. Enter your starting airport, date, first destination, date, etc. this will at least give you an idea of pricing. Yes, you need to schedule at least 2 weeks away to get best pricing. If you are flying to cities that southwest services you need to look at their website directly. Travelocity will not show you southwest flights. Just know that for whatever reasons fares seem to be higher now than I can remember. For example, my son lives in NY and he flies here to Los Angeles to visit. In the past I would often see round trip tickets for $200. Recently when we were looking they were$350 and up. Most airlines will have cheaper fares Monday thru Thursday and overnight flights. When you have an idea of airline/s you will use it is usually better to go direct to their website because you can usually find out which day and which flight is the cheapest. You are booking one way flights so you could use a different airline for each leg or portion of your trip. If you want help, just ask. I do this all the time. I have kids and grandkids in 3 other states, brothers in 3 other states and I like to fly.

quiltnforfun
July 9th, 2014, 01:39 AM
I also go directly to the airline site. I check all the airlines that service the local airport. Most airports have a web site which list airlines. If you are on the west coast Alaska airlines was real reasonable when looking for a flight for my mom. I think most airlines have a box for flexible on dates which will show lowest price for a few days around the date you type in. Southwest does this I know. I think I have seen it on some of the other airlines also.

Jane

bubba
July 9th, 2014, 02:00 AM
Just got an email from Southwest, they are having a big sale. Need to buy by 7/17 and start using the end of August thru December.

kensington
July 9th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Being a military family we have flown a lot. Dh uses Southwest as much as he can. But, they don't fly everywhere. 3 weeks out is the best time to buy. The prices shouldn't change because you looked at the site, but as days tick off the calendar. Southwest is not on Expedia or of the travel sites because they try to keep their rates low to begin with. Shop and compare is the best thing to do.

ozziepuppy
July 9th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Thank you for your help. I think Southwest flies out of Wichita now so I will check their site. Thank you to those who also offered to look things up--I may take you up on that! I did not realize that you could find cheap flights by going directly to the airlines--I thought you had to go through priceline or expedia or kayak or something like that to get low prices. Since Southwest is available here I will start by checking them since apparently rates won't go up when you go back to the site. I wish I had someone to drive with me as I MUCH prefer driving to flying. Ugh, I don't even want to get started on this. I am SUCH a wimp.

Familyjournals
July 9th, 2014, 02:08 PM
If you know of a good travel agent they know how to find the best prices for you especially because you are breaking up the trips and not going round trip. They may charge a small fee but it is well worth it to get the best price and they can watch over all of the connections for you. Are you going to need to rent a car, get a hotel room? They can do this for you and tell them you want the very best price available. Then get the quote for Pat and see if Pat can find it on line at a better price. Dont distrust travel agents, they are very aware of the online prices and would like your business so they will stay comparable. They do make a small commission from the hotels and car companies. They no longer get a commission on air fares so you don't need to worry that they are getting you something that is costly to get a bigger commission. Hope this helps. AAA has travel agents if you dont know a travel agent. You can get AARP discounts, AAA discounts at various businesses.

ozziepuppy
July 9th, 2014, 11:00 PM
My AARP membership has lapsed. I forgot about AAA. I went to Southwest online and they go everywhere I need to go so that is a start. Also I found the flexible date page. I don't know why this is so difficult! I almost get a panic attack.:icon_eek: You all are being so helpful! Tomorrow I will actually look at fares, LOL. One step at a time. (I know I sound like an idiot but really I am not. I have had some bad experiences at airports/on trips though.):icon_cry:

WendyI
July 9th, 2014, 11:06 PM
You got a lot of great advice so I'll just add my two pennies...use an agent..doesn't cost any more and they get the best rates right off the gate. And two..NEVER fly Delta. Sorry to anyone who works there but I WILL Never use that airline again...EVER. Hope you have a safe and happy trip!! xox

ozziepuppy
July 9th, 2014, 11:45 PM
You got a lot of great advice so I'll just add my two pennies...use an agent..doesn't cost any more and they get the best rates right off the gate. And two..NEVER fly Delta. Sorry to anyone who works there but I WILL Never use that airline again...EVER. Hope you have a safe and happy trip!! xox

LOL Wendy my brother-in-law is a Delta captain! No kidding! Unfortunately that does not affect me in any way (no special privileges) and in fact I don't remember ever flying Delta.

bubba
July 9th, 2014, 11:51 PM
For one of our Hawaii trips, about five years ago, I was going the Travelocity. At the time, gas was high and so were the ticket prices. Anyway, I finally found some for a halfway decent price and was in the process of buying them. When I hit the purchase button, they said, sorry, sold out! I then went directly to the Hawaiian website and got the exact same flight, time, and seats (because I had chosen them) for $200 less a ticket!!! That was the last time I used Travelocity.

Kerry Bo Berry
July 10th, 2014, 12:07 AM
What an exciting trip, and so many helpful tips! I too am a fan of Southwest for price, ease of boarding and the occasional comedic relief offered by crew members.

A couple of tips… FareCompare.com claims the cheapest day to fly is Wednesday, followed by Tuesday and Saturday. Friday and Sunday are typically the most expensive. Also, you may want to clear out your cache and cookies in between airline searches, especially on different days or weeks. Otherwise, old prices will sometimes display in lieu of new ones, and you may miss out on the best price.

Have a wonderful trip!

Kerry Bo Berry
July 10th, 2014, 12:18 AM
For one of our Hawaii trips, about five years ago, I was going the Travelocity. At the time, gas was high and so were the ticket prices. Anyway, I finally found some for a halfway decent price and was in the process of buying them. When I hit the purchase button, they said, sorry, sold out! I then went directly to the Hawaiian website and got the exact same flight, time, and seats (because I had chosen them) for $200 less a ticket!!! That was the last time I used Travelocity.

That's incredible, and a great example of why shopping around among the airlines, travel agents, online booking sites, etc., can really save you money!