PDA

View Full Version : My question of the day.....

bubba
July 8th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Do sty's spread? The other eye is starting to act up. Getting worried I may have pink eye! Doesn't the white of your eye get pink with that?

QuiltingRN
July 8th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Pink eye, the white of the eye is pink and your eye gets crusty and irritated.

Doloris
July 8th, 2014, 09:29 PM
What is a stye? What causes it? How do you treat it? (http://www.webmd.boots.com/eye-health/guide/stye-symptoms-diagnosis-treatment) this explains styes

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Styes--this was an answer to do styes spread to the other eye so the answer to your question is yes, they can spread

K. McEuen
July 8th, 2014, 09:35 PM
It almost sounds like your eyes are doing what mine do when I am around too much juniper. The last time Ithought for sure I had a stye, but it was allergies.

Doloris
July 8th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Styes | Better Health Channel (http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Styes)
oops try this one. for the spreading article. this link works

bubba
July 8th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a stye. Either that or a pimple on my eyelid right in my eyelashes! The white is not pink at all, just the eyelid is, and swollen, and irritated, and crusty. I think it opened up last night, but then I can barely see so who knows!

Doloris
July 8th, 2014, 09:49 PM
sounds like a stye, and sounds like it is on the down side of healing. just be careful not to get any of the pus in the other eye. I would use soap and water and gently wash my eyes a few times a day. Hope you get better soon. you could be making lopsided purses and not even knowing it. Glad mine was made pre-stye :)

bubba
July 8th, 2014, 09:55 PM
hahaha!!! I'm making a bag right this very minute!!

Sandy Navas
July 8th, 2014, 10:05 PM
You aren't allergic to bananas, are you?

I am truly, truly concerned for you, Pat. Sure hope it clears soon. Keep it clean, clean, clean. Warm soaks several times a day. Feeling for you!!

whippetmom
July 8th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Hope you feel better Pat, I have had eye problems before and they are not fun. Worst case scenario, get to a eye doctor tomorrow and see what he says. I had an infection in the eye one time and it was headed to the other one, drops three times a day with warm compresses.

laura44
July 8th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Hope it gets better soon. Be sure to wash your hands a lot. Also change your pillowcases and towels.

bubba
July 8th, 2014, 11:40 PM
I've nearly washed the skin off my hands today. And kept my eye washed. It's a lot better tonight, but mornings are always the worse when I first wake up.

Judy, USMC
July 8th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Ouch, Ouch, Ick, Ick. I feel for you! Since it may be spreading maybe a trip to the doc is in order before the other eye gets worse. Doesn't sound like pink eye to me.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 9th, 2014, 12:07 AM
I'd check with the doctor too. Sounds like a stye but better safe than sorry.

Familyjournals
July 9th, 2014, 01:10 AM
It is Tongan folklore to put mother's milk in an infected eye and it clears up the infection.... it works........don't ask me why I know that.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 9th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Debbie, this is very interesting, but I'm thinking she will have a hard time finding some!

vchale
July 9th, 2014, 01:21 AM
If it's not better tomorrow I would say you should see a dr. My hubby had some kind of bumps coming up on his face that looked almost like poison oak but he hasn't been around any. He went to the dr yesterday since he was traveling out of the country on a business trip today. The doc said it was a staph infection. Gave him oral antibiotics and topical prescription cream.

Familyjournals
July 9th, 2014, 01:30 AM
Debbie, this is very interesting, but I'm thinking she will have a hard time finding some!

It's asking the nursing mother for some that is rather awkward...............

bubba
July 9th, 2014, 01:30 AM
It really is much better this evening.....I will see what tomorrow brings. I wash both eyes every hour or so, after washing my hands. One paper towel with warm water for the right eye and another for the left, then I wash my hands again.

toggpine
July 9th, 2014, 04:34 AM
For pink eye - buy a bottle of cheap (really cheap) red wine. Put a couple of drops in the infected eye(s) twice a day. You will see significant improvement within 24 hours.

This does burn a bit. This works on the livestock and husbands too stubborn to go to the doctor. Although the husband did dip onto the bottle for more than just his eye treatment.
The cheaper reds are fermented in stainless which affect how the tannins are developed. This doesn't work so well with the more expensive reds aged in wooden barrels.

I'd think compresses with lavender or tea tree oil lightly applied to the stye might be helpful. The lavender would be my first choice as it's more calming and yet still has anti-infective properties.

Good luck, and I'd probably see the Dr. if it doesn't clear up quickly. Eyes aren't something to mess around with.

Terri
July 9th, 2014, 05:42 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a stye. Either that or a pimple on my eyelid right in my eyelashes! The white is not pink at all, just the eyelid is, and swollen, and irritated, and crusty. I think it opened up last night, but then I can barely see so who knows!

Pat, I'm definitely no doctor, but have raised four sons....therefore more trips than I can count to the doctor and the ER. My youngest was diagnosed w/pink eye when he was 7 or 8 (hard to remember he's almost 28 now!). Anyway, having four this was not our first go round with pink eye! His eyes weren't red/pink, but itchy, crusty & swollen. I knew a trip to the doc and some eye drops and he would be on the mend within 24 hrs....NOT! This time the drops just weren't helping. So back to the doc within 48 hrs, it was ALLERGIC conjunctivitis! Pink eye, but allergy induced. So different eye drops and then he was definitely on the mend within 24 hrs. I had never heard of such, but that's what it was. Hope whatever yours is, it gets better very soon. Take care. BTW the allergic conjunctivitis is NOT contagious.

Vonnie
July 9th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I second having a clean pillowcase every night. Just think of how you move your face around on the pillow! If you could stand it, wear an eye patch to bed just so you won't get anything on your pillowcase. Or those patches people wear to make the room dark so they can sleep.

I had one a long time ago. I basically remember how painful it was (and how ugly) and I went to an Ophthalmologist and he gave me some medicated drops and also told me to use a warm/wet compress several times a day.

irishrn
July 9th, 2014, 08:59 PM
There is an eyelid scrub called STERILID sold in drug stores. I had a series of eye styes over a six month period and finally had one cultured and it was staph. But it was MRSA so it was drug resistant. The SteriLid scrub is done daily in the shower and helps to keep the hair follicle from plugging up. I haven't had a stye in over four years and I use the scrub every day. Best of luck! I know how painful they are!

WendyI
July 9th, 2014, 11:19 PM
please be careful. I never mess around with eye infections...my boss lost one of her eyes because she didn't get one checked.

bubba
July 9th, 2014, 11:53 PM
It's much much better today!!! I think it should be gone in a day or two.

JCY
July 10th, 2014, 12:28 AM
Have you searched Google for medical info. on styes? WebMD has helpful info. Are you doing the warm compresses? If it doesn't resolve itself in a week, I'd see an eye dr. JCY

bubba
July 10th, 2014, 12:48 AM
yes, yes, and I will!