PDA

View Full Version : On vacation...close encounter

Stacie
July 8th, 2014, 12:37 AM
We had just gotten to our cabin in Tennessee with 4 teenagers in tow...this LARGE black bear casually strolled by our cabin. It was AWSOME and the kids are so happy they could stay here all week and never leave the cabin. Which is lucky because now I'm afraid to step off the porch! :)

Gina
July 8th, 2014, 12:43 AM
Glad to see you were all safe inside before he showed up! I couldn't imagine being that close to one when I was outside!!!

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 8th, 2014, 12:44 AM
So cool, though. What a great wildlife sighting.

stationarymom
July 8th, 2014, 02:54 AM
seeing wildlife roaming around you can be scary on one hand but so cool on the other.Now your kids have a story to share about their summer.

bubba
July 8th, 2014, 03:06 AM
I'd love to see something like that!!! The closest I've come is a dead one on the freeway, and I found that exciting!

Sylvia H
July 8th, 2014, 03:07 AM
I do believe the bear is really the wildlife welcome wagon representative! I love the 'great outdoors', but realize that you have to know how to deal with any wildlife that you may encounter.

Andrea F
July 8th, 2014, 04:03 AM
How cool is that! The only way I get to see a bear is when I visit the zoo.

rebeccas-sewing
July 8th, 2014, 04:13 AM
All I can say is make sure you know what to do if one comes close.

Judy, USMC
July 8th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Thanks for posting that picture, Stacie. It brought back a memory from the mid-1950's. We had a cabin in a National Park out west - Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon I think. Dad had left to walk to the convenience store in the compound. Mom and I heard some banging and clanging. A Park Ranger soon knocked on the door and told us to stay inside ... there was a bear that was raiding the cabin garbage cans. Dad wasn't back yet and I started crying. My biggest fear was that the bear was going to eat my dad! When he got back I remember being so relieved. And that night I slept with dad in the double bed while mom was relegated to the twin.

Bubby
July 8th, 2014, 07:40 AM
We saw two different bears on our property early last Fall. They aren't uncommon around here. We also have a mountain lion roaming around that's been sighted on our land. Sometimes I feel like I live in wild kingdom!

Familyjournals
July 8th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Wow, that is fascinating and scary at the same time. I'm glad that all that was captured was a great picture!

Sandy Navas
July 8th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Someone sent me this link the other day - cute: Video captures up-close encounter with Alaskan brown bear | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2658508/Video-captures-incredible-close-encounter-Alaskan-brown-bear.html)