PDA

View Full Version : Woe is me

cyndiofthevortex
July 7th, 2014, 12:10 PM
How silly when there's a life and death situation around me that I am stressing about little things! My machine has just broken down. My plan was to sew this week to keep my mind off of my brother's upcoming surgery and I absolutely cannot get the tension right. To the shop it must go.

We just discovered a cut on our long-haired kitty so to the vet he must go. More money to spend that just isn't there!

I fell two days ago and my body is in more pain now than it was then. Every move hurts!

Last but not least, what's the opposite of "Flash Sewing?" I spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday sewing and I got a row of 8 blocks done and basted a quilt. That doesn't seem very flashy to me.

Sorry to be so complainy but I needed somewhere to go for sympathy! Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Claire OneStitchAtATime
July 7th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Not so much wisdom, but experience. What you are going through with your brother is traumatic. You have to under-react to it to keep plugging. But a typical response to trauma is to be irritable & overreactive to small problems, even though you know they are not important in the scheme of things. There is a small body of research out there on traumatic stress symptoms in relatives of cancer patients, & in the patients themselves, of course. If you google post-traumatic stress syndrome & post-traumatic stress disorder plus cancer you will find some links. Irritability & hyper-arousal are pretty typical in your situation. And of courses this is traumatic stress, not post-traumatic stress, because it's an ongoing stressor.

Not having your sewing machine may seem trivial but it isn't, because sewing helps you calm the cortisol & adrenaline & helps you keep an even keel. I'd beg, borrow, steal, or buy a back up to get you through the repair period. You might have a neighbor of friend who just wants to help somehow. You say, I know this seems strange, but I really need a sewing machine to get me through this, can you find me one to tide me over for a few weeks? Neighbors & friends are generally happy to be assigned a specific task in a crisis. They get to help & it's something they can actually do, whereas they cannot cure the cancer or help you feel better. They like to not feel so helpless.

Good luck.

mom4him
July 7th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Sounds like you have had some very stressful times. For me, when in the middle of it all, the little things can really crash me. Praying for you, Cyndi. God is always with us in the midst of it all.

KnitWitRosie
July 7th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Don't have any words of wisdom, but definitely sending hugs your way!!! :icon_hug:

Monique
July 7th, 2014, 03:14 PM
How about "This too shall pass"? Hugs to you.

SallyO'Sews
July 7th, 2014, 11:54 PM
((((CYNDI)))) You are in my prayers. Hang in there, friend.

Mpyles
July 8th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Just try to find the good in what you do.....and what's around you...i know it's hard...i struggle with it every day...hugs!

Gina
July 8th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Sending you hugs and prayers! :)

pcbatiks
July 8th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Hoping you have a better day tomorrow! Hugs to you.

bkthomas
July 8th, 2014, 01:22 AM
An Attitude of Gratitude works wonders!!!