PDA

View Full Version : What has happened in our country? So, so sad....

New York Sue
July 7th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I've seen a staggering amount of young people addicted to opioids, heroin, and such....
Moms having babies addicted from the 'get-go'. WTH?

Doctors prescribing opioids for 'normal discomforts' of pregnancy, especially profound, in of all places, UTAH!
(New York Times article)

So incredibly sad. I worked with a traveling nurse last night, who just left an assignment in MA. She said that 60-70% of new Mom's were addicted to heroin, or on methadone or soboxone....Now this may be a BIT of an exaggeration, but WTH?

We have become a pill pushing, 'give me the pill I need' society...

PAIN is not acceptable. Really? Because as some of us know, some pain is part of everyday life. We re-adjust, we move on, and we keep moving.....RIGHT?

So profoundly sad.

Do you suppose this is a result of drugs ads on TV, (the last 10-12 years, maybe?) claiming to cure everyone's ills?

Just wondering what your 'take' on this is... :(

Sandy Navas
July 7th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Drug ads on TV making you wanna? When I hear the ones that list 1001 side effects that are much worse than the cure?

I'm so afraid this could turn into something political so I won't share my thoughts of why. But I feel your frustration, Sue!! Definitely.

Leah53
July 7th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Sorry Sandy but this IS political. Our war on drugs. We treat drug addiction with more addictive drugs. I will leave it at that.

And Sue, as bad as that is, it's not the worst of what's happening to our country, it's going to get a whole lot worse and it will not get better.

Monique
July 7th, 2014, 03:17 PM
It seems with my own family doctor, he is all too ready to offer pills for whatever ails me. The only current pill I take is for my thyroid and vitamins for macular degeneration.

stationarymom
July 8th, 2014, 03:37 AM
I think sadly Dr's have lost their integrity (some). It seems like everything is about the $ If drug co's can offer dr's $ to change their patients meds to the latest one out they sometimes get a fee for that.

rebeccas-sewing
July 8th, 2014, 04:57 AM
There's definitely no easy answer as to why so many people are on illegal or prescription drugs. I had a therapist tell me she thinks it's due to our world and how complicated life has become for so many. There are lots of people who have trouble dealing with the pace they are expected to keep in order to be successful or what is generally thought to be success. I see it in California. Gotta have a huge house. Gotta have a big, fancy, expensive car. Gotta have designer clothes. It's the ol' "keepin' up with the Joneses" syndrome. All of those wants cause lots of pressure. Some of those people turn to drugs to escape. Let us not forget alcohol!!! Look at how many alcoholics there are in our world.

I look at our young people. They have so many pressures on them. Pressures I didn't have to deal with growing up. Because drugs are easily accessible it's no wonder some turn to them to escape for a bit. Yes, I agree that doctors are very ready to throw pills at us to try and solve our health issues. However, if it wasn't for some drugs I've taken I might not be here today. I'm sure many of us can say the same thing or say the same thing about friends and/or loved ones. Unfortunately, as with so many things in life, along with the good there is always the bad side of things.

It's kind of a crazy world we live in. I just feel so lucky that I haven't fallen into the same trap as so many others. I'm sure we could go on all day discussing the reasons why there's this drug problem. Sad thing is it's not going to end any time soon if ever. Illegal drugs have been a part of life for centuries. To each his own. It's when one's behavior affects others that is so sad. That's probably 98% of the time. If there's a person abusing drugs out there we can be pretty certain there's someone else suffering because of that person's drug use.

It's complicated. There's no one easy answer.

Familyjournals
July 8th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Doctors prescribing opioids for 'normal discomforts' of pregnancy, especially profound, in of all places, UTAH!
(New York

This is news to me. Must have happened since I've been on vacation.......not a distinction Utah wants indeed.

dizzyLiz
July 8th, 2014, 08:57 AM
I', m a pharmacy tec and I see it everyday. The crazy thing is this; so many addicts have no trouble getting meds from their doctors, but folks that truly have a medical condition, have a hard time getting prescriptions. Makes no sense.

As far as illegal drugs; in my day the thing was pot; I'd much rather see folks using it then something created in someones bathtub. The meth problem is epidemic proportions in this country

Leah53
July 8th, 2014, 02:30 PM
The crazy thing is this; so many addicts have no trouble getting meds from their doctors, but folks that truly have a medical condition, have a hard time getting prescriptions. Makes no sense.

Isn't that the truth! I have a compressed disc in my back, can't stand for any length of time or walk very far because of it but was told just to take motrin. I know many people who are drug addicts, (didn't say I hung out with them lol) that go to the Dr. for a hangnail and come out with a prescription for oxycodone. You're right, doesn't make sense.

Iris Girl
July 8th, 2014, 03:51 PM
And this is why you would have to drag me kicking , screaming and biting to a doctors office. The meds they give are addictive and have so many worse side effects then your ailment.

Suzette
July 8th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I have no answers, but I will say that I would not hesitate to go to the doctors just because some over-prescribe meds. They can prescribe, recommend, offer, whatever all they want, you don't have to fill the Rx or take the pills. That choice will always be yours to make.

My doctor and I have a very good relationship and we always discuss any medications she wants to prescribe to me. If I feel at all hesitant, for any reason, I get the pro's, the con's and even other options from her. Then, if I think it might be something worth trying, I talk to the pharmacist and also do my own research at home. I don't rely solely on my doctor to take good care of me (though she does), but I am my own best advocate since whatever is being prescribed, should I decide to take it, ultimately goes into my body, not hers.

Familyjournals
July 8th, 2014, 06:46 PM
As we were traveling today, I was surprised and curious when I read this post so I just checked on the piece in the New York Times entitled ‘Surge in Narcotic Prescriptions for Pregnant Women’ by By CATHERINE SAINT LOUIS APRIL 13, 2014 (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/science/surge-in-prescriptions-for-opioid-painkillers-for-pregnant-women.html?_r=0) now that we have arrived home and I’m not checking things on my phone I decided to do a little research.

I’m very familiar with misconstrued articles so it never hurts to double check the sources.

This majority of this article that was quoted in the New York Times is actually talking about the percentage of pregnant women on Medicaid that was prescribed opioids during pregnancy.

The erroneous message that 41.6% of pregnant women in Utah being prescribed opioids is misleading. It makes it appear that nearly 1/2 of our babies being born here would have had this harmful stuff in them as they were forming. It was actually talking about the Medicaid pregnancies. Still that is terribly high. It doesn’t mention the “discomfort of pregnancy” exclusively to Utah.

Since Utah is 2nd lowest in the nation for Medicaid recipients at 13% (Medicaid Enrollment as a Percent of Total Population, FY2010 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation (http://kff.org/medicaid/state-indicator/medicaid-enrollment-as-a-of-pop/)) of the populous, that even cuts down the percentage of pregnancies down lower.

HOWEVER, personally, coming from one who will not even use Clorox to clean when pregnant, I find this whole business of prescribing these drugs disgusting. Those poor innocent babes being given these very strong drugs while in the safety of their mother’s womb just breaks my heart.

Do we need better education for these mothers? And why is the medical profession giving in to their request for these pain killers? If they have lost all compassion for the unborn, you would think they would be afraid of law suits. If this doesn’t hit them in their hearts then it should in their pocket books.